We need a coach who can win without a superstar QB, and I have one in

peterpan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather have Jim tressel.

browns talked to him last year. He wanted more control over personnel than they were willing to give him. I love that man. Well not really love, but you know what I mean.

But man... If you think we punt a lot now... The Bills actually play Tressell-ball already. Without the running game.

Edited by YoloinOhio

browns talked to him last year. He wanted more control over personnel than they were willing to give him. I love that man. Well not really love, but you know what I mean.

But man... If you think we punt a lot now... The Bills actually play Tressell-ball already. Without the running game.

I think he could turn us into a power running/play action offense with a dominating defense.

A more realistic option could be for the offensive staff to consult with Urban's staff in the offseason. Many coaches do this, including Urban himself (he spent a week with Chip Kelly over the summer and has also done this with Belichik in the past). Belichik has done the same with Urban and Saban. It keeps them in a learning mode and always moving foward with different concepts for different types of players. I think the most successful coaches are always in that mode. urban's offense is "very quarterback friendly" (his words). Alex Smith went #1 overall after playing in it and we all know he is finally now an ok starter after 6 yrs but he was never a #1 overall talent.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Keep your eyes open for John Hufnagel either as an OC candidate or should it go that way, head coach candidate.

Penn State ties.

Successfully coached Tom Brady, both Manning brothers and Mark Brunell during his prime.

Successful CFL head coaching career (2 GCs, positive W/L record)

Meyer is simply a great recruiter...goes out and collects the best players he can find (legally or illegally) as far as coaching.....don't need to this is college football it's isolations and my guy is better than yours. Unfortunately College football doesnt work in the NFL - good AAA success though but this is the majors

First we need to lay out some obvious assumptions/statements. (sorry this gets long)

1 – The key to consistently winning in the NFL is having a good QB. Obviously. This does not need explanation or defending, it is a certifiable fact.

2- There are not enough good QBs in the NFL to go around. Period. That is how guys like Kyle Orton and Ryan Fitzpatrick keep resurfacing as starting QBs for multiple teams

3- Every team is basically hoping and praying they can luck into a Pro Style Pocket passer Ala Andy Luck. What kidn of hope does this give for teams like the Bills? None!

4- Every team wants an Andy Luck style guy because every NFL coach runs a Pro-Style offense, or is a Pro-Style Offense type of coach (short of Chip Kelly).

This leads to one obvious conclusion: A team needs a Coach who can get quality QB play out of the sub-par QB talent; With the type of QBs which are entering the league (via the draft) AND ACTUALLY AVAILABLE.

Which types of QBs are entering the league? Spread QBs. Running QBs. Which aren’t? The polished pocket passers which every NFL teams WISHES they could have.

For too long the Bills (and the rest of the NFL) has tried to fit a bunch of square pegs into round holes. They take an inaccurate, running QB like Losman and try to make him a pocket guy like Manning. They take an athletic guy like RG3 and tell him to stand in the pocket. Jay Cutler is asked to stand in the pocket when he should be on the move, with mis-direction, and having the game simplified for him. Expecting Losman, RG#, or Cutler or even Tebow to run the same offense that Manning or Brady would run is insanity! Those players all have different strengths. Why try to get them to run the same plays?? THIS METHOD DOES NOT PUT THESE PLAYERS IN THE BEST POSITION TO SUCCEED. What ever happened to designing an offense to best use the talents on your roster?????? Instead, we have stubborn coaches running the pro-style offense with a bunch of QBs incapable of running a pro-style offense!!!!

Not so surprisingly, the ONLY coach in the NFL, who is getting above average QB production out of below average QB talent is Chip Kelly. Chip Kelly is also the ONLY coach in the NFL who is born and bred in the Spread offense. He Does not run a Pro-style offense. He is not a Pro-Style coach trying to run a Spread offense for the first time. No, he WROTE THE BOOK which other coaches are reading.

So where am I going with this? We need our own Chip Kelly. We need a guy who DOESN’T run a pro System and DOESN’T WANT TO EITHER! We need a coach who gre up running the spread. Who has consistently won without a pocket passer QB. A coach whose offense is not reliant on a superstar, pocket passer QB because the QB does not exist.

That is why I would love to see URBAN MEYER brought in as the next HC of the Buffalo Bills. He has won everywhere – everywhere – he has been. And he has won RIGHT AWAY. And he could win, in the NFL, without a polished pocket passer under center. Guys who are available to be had!

Urban Myers coaching record is an astounding 140-26 with a 7-2 bowl record. This is across 4 different D 1 schools and over a decade of excellence.

Bowling Green - he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the College football HISTRY, going 8–3, and 17-6 in his first two year, before going to Utah, where you guessed it, In his first year there, Meyer was named the Mountain West Conference's Coach of the Year with a 10–2 record. He coached Utah ( UTAH!!!) top a 12-0 perfect season and developed Alex Smith into the #1 overall pick!

Then he takes over at Florida. First Season(2005), 9-3, second season(2006) 13-1 and NATIONAL CHAMPIONS. Two years later, 13-1 again and NATIONAL CHAMPS AGAIN, with a different QB who happened to win the Heisman. Eleven of the Gators' twelve wins that season were by 20 points or more(!!!!!!!!), including wins over six (SIX!!!) ranked teams. The next season, 2009, they again went 13-1 and just barely missed out on the NC.

He then leaves Florida for Health Reasons, and we pick up later in 2012, at Ohio State, where in his FIRST SEASON promptly goes 12-0 and finishes third in the country. Ohio State, suffering from Recruiting violations by the prior coaching staff, is ineligible for both the Big 10 Champion ship game and a Bowl game. 2013 – goes 12 and 2 and has Braxton Miller as a Heisman Finalist. 2014 he loses Miller to injuury, and his second string QB is a Heisman Candidate. That QB gets injured and they go into the Big 10 Championship game with their third string QB and WIN FIFTY NINE TO ZERO.!!!!!! They are currently sitting pretty at 12-1 and may very well win the NC this year.

AGAIN, Urban Myers coaching record is an astounding 140-26 with a 7-2 bowl record. This is across 4 different D 1 schools and over a decade.

The reason I most like Urban Meyer for coach of the Buffalo Bills is, he is a guy, who can win football games, with other teams cast off QBs. Cutler, RG3, heck even Tebow, could and WOULD win in Urban Meyers system. And with our Defense, we would EASILY have made the playoffs with him coaching this team. I don’t want a coach who needs an Aaron Rodgers to win. I don’t want a coach who needs Manning to win. I want a coach who can win with anyone. I want a guy who can fight for the playoffs with Mark Sanchese at the helm. THAT’S the coach we need. And that guy is Urban Meyer!!!!!

all good thoughts and chip has had some success but it seems that maybe pro-defenses are too much for the spread.

I really like chip and want him to succeed but the baby hasn't been delivered yet.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Lots of good points guys. I too would love Gus Malszeon or however you spell it. Sumlin or the Baylor coach would be good too. I just think that out of all ofthem, Meyer has Been better over a longer period of time, at multiple programs.

And Bills_roc, I wanted the bills to purposely go 0-16 that year and draft luck, but we didn't unfortunately!

Lots of good points guys. I too would love Gus Malszeon or however you spell it. Sumlin or the Baylor coach would be good too. I just think that out of all ofthem, Meyer has Been better over a longer period of time, at multiple programs.

I also know the Meyer and Belicheat are pals of sorts and share a lot of knowledge. That is another reason I really like Meyer! A lo of his players had a lot of success in this league.

And Bills_roc, I wanted the bills to purposely go 0-16 that year and draft luck, but we didn't unfortunately!

all good thoughts and chip has had some success but it seems that maybe pro-defenses are too much for the spread.

I really like chip and want him to succeed but the baby hasn't been delivered yet.

You say that "maybe pro defenses are too much for the spread".

Maybe they are maybe they aren't.

But I say that pro defenses are too much for 75% of this leagues trying-desperately-to-be-a-pro-style QBs. Would you agree???

I'm still on the fence with dumping Marrone but I think the Bills head coaching job is a very desirable position. Here's why:

1. You've got an owner that is going to pay market, or maybe higher, to sign a big time coach.

2. You've got an owner that is going to be willing to provide you with almost unlimited resources to get the job done. Assistants, equipment, scouts, you name it.

3. This isn't a 3 year rebuild job. Not even a reload. Its a case of finding a QB and a couple blockers, along with installing an offensive system that is designed for the players on the roster.

4. A championship level defense is in place and prospects for keeping it together for a few more years are good.

5. Any coach that brought a Super Bowl championship to the hard-luck Bills would become a legendary figure, memorialized and remembered for all time. In 25 years people will still remember the guy and the team he coached to the title, you stay in some big-time college program you'll become an afterthought soon enough. Hell, you achieve the amazing and unbelievable feat of bringing the Super Bowl to the Bills and they might need to change the name of the trophy to you!

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

A sub-par quarterback does not become a star in the NFL even with a great coach. Yes, there are exceptions such as Brady. But no one really knew if he was sub-par or merely lacked playing time in college, It's probably the latter. This suggests that if you go prospecting for guys with interesting upside and potential but no clear celebrity, you might come up with a nugget (Johnny Unitas for example). It's like prospecting for gold; you might get lucky. By the way, no matter how good a coach may be he probably wouldn't make a star out of EJ.