Official Pre-Game Thread: Week 14, Bills at Broncos

Dan

Week 14: Buffalo Bills at Denver Broncos

Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 4:05pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Kevin Harlan, Rich Gannon

DirecTV: 715

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Sal Capaccio (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WKRL (100.9/WKLL 94.9)

Sirius/XM: 113 (Internet 803)

=================================================================

Game Preview:

The Denver Broncos' newfound offensive diversity might have arrived just in time to deal with the Buffalo Bills' stout pass defense.

Then again, the success of that defense seems based almost entirely on the offense it faces, so Peyton Manning and the Broncos' receivers could still do some major damage Sunday in Denver.

Buffalo (7-5), in the thick of the wild-card race, started the season with an intimidating rush defense that limited teams to an average of 67.5 yards and 2.79 per carry in six games. In six since, the Bills are allowing 125.2 and 4.85.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denver Broncos Week 14 Preview: Buffalo Bills

NFL.com Preview: Bills at Broncos

NFL.com Game Center

Team Stats:      Bills       Broncos

Total Yds/Game.... 319.9         413.9

Total Rush.............  98.2          109.5

Total Pass............. 221.8         304.4

Points/Game..........  22.0           30.1

Time of Poss..........  29.5           31.0

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 312.4         302.3

Rush Yards...........  96.3           72.7

Pass Yards........... 216.1         229.7

Points Allowed........ 18.1           23.0

Source: NFL.com

Overall Offense: Bills - 24th; Broncos - 5th

Overall Defense: Bills -  5th; Broncos - 3rd

MatchUp Comparison via SportingCharts.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Carpenter, Dan          K          Right Groin     LP          LP          LP          Probable

Dareus, Marcell          DT          Hip          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Glenn, Cordy          T          Illness          DNP          -          -          -

Gragg, Chris          TE          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Hogan, Chris          WR          Hamstring          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Rambo, Bacarri          S          Hamstring          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Watkins, Sammy          WR          Hip          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Williams, Mike          WR          Calf          -          LP          DNP          Out

Williams, Kyle          DT          Illness          DNP          -          -          -

Woods, Robert          WR          Ankle          LP          LP          LP          Probable

Wynn, Jarius          DE          Knee          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Cleveland Browns

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS        

Anderson, C.J.              RB          Ankle          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Ball, Montee              RB          Groin          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Carter, Quinton              S          Knee          DNP          DNP          LP          Questionable

Cornick, Paul              T          Shoulder          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Hillman, Ronnie              RB          Foot          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Knighton, Terrance              DT          Elbow          -          LP          LP          Questionable

Latimer, Cody              WR          Concussion       -          LP          DNP          Out

McCray, Lerentee              LB          Illness          DNP          LP          LP          Probable

Montgomery, Will              C          Knee          LP          FP          FP          Probable

Smith, Quanterus              DE          Ribs          -          -          LP          Questionable

Talib, Aqib              CB          Hamstring        FP          FP          FP          Probable

Tamme, Jacob              TE          Ribs          DNP          LP          LP          Questionable

Thomas, Demaryius              WR          Ankle          LP          DNP          LP          Probable

Thomas, Julius              TE          Ankle          LP          LP          LP          Questionable

Thompson, Juwan              RB          Knee          FP          FP          FP          Probable

Webster, Kayvon              CB          Shoulder          DNP          DNP          DNP          Out

Welker, Wes              WR          Non-injury       DNP          FP          FP          Probable

Source: DenverBroncos.com   

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Broncos -10

Over/Under: 48.5

Source: The LineMakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas. 

My Thoughts on the Game:

And so here we are... in December, at 7-5, no room to spare, and facing perhaps our toughest team of the year.  Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?  So, let's go.  This game is in no way going to be easy.  All week, I keep reading about how we can stop Peyton and the Denver offense.  However, I think that's missing the point.  Sure, we have to slow Manning down, but we're going to have to score points.

During last week's Broncos game, they flashed a stat...  in Manning's career, teams that have scored less than 21 points have only beaten him 8 times (or close to that).  Against teams scoring more than 21, Manning is closer to a 60% win percentage.  So, what does that mean?  We have to score!  And that's going to be tough with our offense, on the road, facing a solid defense.  The Broncos can get after the QB and they're tough to run up the middle on.  So, we're going to have figure something out.

So what will I be looking for?

1. Our run game.  We can't try running up the middle all game.  Pot Roast is too big and too strong in the middle.  I really think edge rushes are the order of the day.  It would be nice to see some creativity to get our backs in space, but I think we all know that won't happen.

2. Miller and Ward.  We have to contain them, chip them, do something.  The two of them could kill Orton if they don't find a way to slow these guys down.

3. Our secondary.  I have no doubt our line will get after Manning.  But, he's going to get the ball out fast.  Can Gilmore and company handle it? If so, we should be able to cause Manning fits.

4. Denver's Oline.  The last 2 weeks they've put 6 linemen in to get the run game going.  If they try that again, we have to adjust and shut the run game down.  Hopefully, 2 games is enough tape to give Schwartz what he needs to stop their running attack.

5. The field and the crowd.  I don't get to go to many games, in fact a very small few.  But, I scored tickets and get to see the Bills in person for the first time in years.  It's gonna be fun regardless of the outcome; I can't wait to see that kick off!

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Dan

Dan, awesome you are going, have a great time! Looks like an awesome place to see a game!

Can't wait for the start of the game, as they say all the analysis has been done....let's play !

I know the Bills getting 10 points....points....well, I don't need no stinkin points.

$50 on the money line + 450!

Dan, awesome you are going, have a great time! Looks like an awesome place to see a game!

Can't wait for the start of the game, as they say all the analysis has been done....let's play !

I know the Bills getting 10 points....points....well, I don't need no stinkin points.

$50 on the money line + 450!

Hilarious...I put 50 on the money line yesterday as well. Great minds...

The call just went out Niitaka-yama nobore. The Bills will launch a sneak attack on the Broncos, and the call Tora Tora Tora! will go out at 1605 EST. Beels 31, Horsies 27, as the Red White and Blue fittingly remember those brave men who gave their lives at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941. Go Bills, and Go USA!

I can't stand how the Bills are never on CBS in the NYC market unless we play a local team. I feel like i've watched countless Denver games against the likes of freaking Tennessee and Baltimore on CBS or especially against the Pats, but today when the Broncos actually play a NY team, the game isn't on CBS. Unreal. I don't think NYC has a 4pm game on CBS today at all. Instead we get championship snocross after the Jets game. F M L.

Guess i'm driving to brother's house again to watch it on sunday ticket. :angry:

Most meaningful game in the last decade -since we lost to Pittsburgh's 2nd string with the Playoffs on the line. We have our best Defense since we lost to Tennessee's Music City Debacle -with the Super Bowl on the line. It's been a rare week of excitement and extended hope in anticipation of what 'could' happen.

Unfortunately, it will quite likely all come crashing down by 7:00 pm today. Our Offense simply isn't up to this task. Denver, Green Bay & New England* are undefeated at Home this season and will all most likely earn a Playoff Bye. They're good enough NOT to stumble terribly against the likes of Houston and Kansas City -unlike us. If we focus any blame, it has to on these 2 'Laid Eggs' and that no team fears playing in the RALPH, despite our other-worldly adoration and support.

Even if the highly improbable happens and we escape with a W today, we're still on the outside looking in due to the above and there's no way GB or NE* would overlook our game.

So, the question is, does 8-8/9-7 mean we've 'turned the corner' heading into our 16th playoff-less year?

I can't stand how the Bills are never on CBS in the NYC market unless we play a local team. I feel like i've watched countless Denver games against the likes of freaking Tennessee and Baltimore on CBS or especially against the Pats, but today when the Broncos actually play a NY team, the game isn't on CBS. Unreal. I don't think NYC has a 4pm game on CBS today at all. Instead we get championship snocross after the Jets game. F M L.

Guess i'm driving to brother's house again to watch it on sunday ticket. :angry:

I think that's because the Jets are on at 1 and it's Fox's turn for the doubleheader in the NY area (Seahawks-Eagles, which ain't a bad game either)....

So what will I be looking for?

1. Our run game. We can't try running up the middle all game. Pot Roast is too big and too strong in the middle. I really think edge rushes are the order of the day. It would be nice to see some creativity to get our backs in space, but I think we all know that won't happen.

2. Miller and Ward. We have to contain them, chip them, do something. The two of them could kill Orton if they don't find a way to slow these guys down.

3. Our secondary. I have no doubt our line will get after Manning. But, he's going to get the ball out fast. Can Gilmore and company handle it? If so, we should be able to cause Manning fits.

4. Denver's Oline. The last 2 weeks they've put 6 linemen in to get the run game going. If they try that again, we have to adjust and shut the run game down. Hopefully, 2 games is enough tape to give Schwartz what he needs to stop their running attack.

5. The field and the crowd. I don't get to go to many games, in fact a very small few. But, I scored tickets and get to see the Bills in person for the first time in years. It's gonna be fun regardless of the outcome; I can't wait to see that kick off!

Go Bills!!!

1. Our running game. I agree. Unlikely to find any success up the middle, so it'll have to be misdirection, short passes/screens, etc. Problem is with Miller and Ware (who's come on really nicely the last few weeks) this Broncos defense can get to the outside really well too. I'm afraid it will be a struggle on offense all day. The way have a chance to win is to get what you can and to absolutely avoid turnovers.

4. I rewatched parts of the last couple Broncos games. Conclusion: CJ Anderson is really good. A real find as a nondrafted free agent. The stats bear that out -- lots of yards after initial contact. But the Broncos newfound run success is still something of a fraud. Anyone who plays 7 offensive linemen (Virgil Greene at TE is a one-dimensional blocker, and Cornick is an eligible Tackle) against a standard 4-3 with 2 deep set is going to have success. I do think Schwartz this week is the guy to figure this out, so the running game doesn't scare me too much. But when the Broncos go back to what they're built to do -- Julius Thomas as a Jimmy Graham semi-wideout TE + Sanders + D. Thomas + Welker -- it all depends on that pass rush and jamming up the receivers at the line. The Seahawks model that destroyed the Broncos. Is our DL the equal of the Seahawks 2013? Yeah. I think it's better. Is our secondary their equal? Umm, not so much. So that's my fear unless the pressure really is relentless.

Hey, it's December, and we're playing a meaningful game!

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Out of Town scoreboards are not good.

Steelers beating up the sorry Bungles.

Cleveland is leading Indy

Baltimore leading over Miami with 4 min to go

Houston crushing JAX.

The Bills, chargers and Chiefs have their work cut out at 4 PM