GoFundMe for Darryl Talley (Update 7/12- Bills Hire Darryl)

Just a note, There is a lot of Brain research going on at those hospitals up there. My youngest son was diagnosed at The Children's Hospital that is part of Beth Israel Deaconess as having a rare neuro migration issue and is moderately delayed.

Kids with a more severe form scarily have a very short life expectency. They are studying these kids with some hope of stem cell treatment that if successful may have wide ranging application to treat traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries as well as things like demensia. Darryl is in very good hands.

Edited by North Buffalo1

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this money would help Talley and his family so much....

It would mean a lot more to Talley and his family and their ability to pay their bills and pay for medical care than it would to some huge foundation where it would evaporate into some huge budget somewhere

I hope he accepts it in the spirit with which it was given.

Yep.

DT appears to have made some unfortunate financial decisions but with the best intentions; something many people have done and not something anyone should hold against him. People who disagree are free to not contribute, but shouldn't have anything to say about those who choose to do so.

The big $150,000 is right around the corner.

I donated, but as important as the money is to get DT out from under, it would be much more meaningful and beneficial for someone to sit him and his wife down to figure out how they are going to live after this money is gone. If she doesn't work, she needs to consider some type of job while DT is still very functional. Even better would be some type of work for DT himself. I would think with the early stages of CTE, mental stimulation would be the best form of therapy (there is no treatment for CTE, per se). If some fatcat business person/dodnor (or even better, the Bills) could employ him, he would have some financial stability and have structure each day to stay as mentally sharp as he can. I understand his phyiscal limitations, but perhaps those would also improve with a regular schedule of tasks.

Also, maybe someone could donate financial planning services for the couple. Their current living circumstances don't seem to acknowledge their current financial circumstances. Move off the golf course and head back to Buffalo! Wouldn't it be great if the Bills, instead of tossing him some money, provided him with some sort of caoching spot, even peripherally? They have a ton of position coaches and subcoaches and assistants. Get DT on the payroll. He's on twitter a lot and still seems sharp as far as the game is played.

This could be a win-win for the Bills. Just giving DT money when he has hit hard times is probably a precedent they do not want to set.

I donated, but as important as the money is to get DT out from under, it would be much more meaningful and beneficial for someone to sit him and his wife down to figure out how they are going to live after this money is gone. If she doesn't work, she needs to consider some type of job while DT is still very functional. Even better would be some type of work for DT himself. I would think with the early stages of CTE, mental stimulation would be the best form of therapy (there is no treatment for CTE, per se). If some fatcat business person/dodnor (or even better, the Bills) could employ him, he would have some financial stability and have structure each day to stay as mentally sharp as he can. I understand his phyiscal limitations, but perhaps those would also improve with a regular schedule of tasks.

Also, maybe someone could donate financial planning services for the couple. Their current living circumstances don't seem to acknowledge their current financial circumstances. Move off the golf course and head back to Buffalo! Wouldn't it be great if the Bills, instead of tossing him some money, provided him with some sort of caoching spot, even peripherally? They have a ton of position coaches and subcoaches and assistants. Get DT on the payroll. He's on twitter a lot and still seems sharp as far as the game is played.

This could be a win-win for the Bills. Just giving DT money when he has hit hard times is probably a precedent they do not want to set.

Great point. Reading about the cashed in pension and 401(k) in a futile effort to save his business is heart breaking. Certainly done with the best intentions but just a horrible financial decision. The refusal of our "leaders" in government to teach people basic financial knowledge and common sense is our country's biggest and least talked about problem. It makes my blood boil.

Darryl just texted me from Boston and said, "This is a blessing," when he was told the fund had surpassed $150,000. His tests continue tomorrow.

Sweet!

Great point. Reading about the cashed in pension and 401(k) in a futile effort to save his business is heart breaking. Certainly done with the best intentions but just a horrible financial decision. The refusal of our "leaders" in government to teach people basic financial knowledge and common sense is our country's biggest and least talked about problem. It makes my blood boil.

There is no amount of government intervention that will prevent individuals from making poor financial decisions. That is not government's role.

Wow - I have thought every single one of those thoughts in the last week! Totally agree on all of them.

My friend told me back in the 90s that I should start a business with helping the Bills just keep their financial house in order. He had had one of our stars threaten him, as an insurance claims guy, because they wouldn't pay anything on his wrecked car - because he hadn't paid the premiums in a year! These guys need somebody who knows how to manage money helping them.

There is no amount of government intervention that will prevent individuals from making poor financial decisions. That is not government's role.

I think you are incorrect, or at least speaking too broadly.

Personal Finance isn't mentioned in curriculum at any age, which is very strange to me. This is the most important premise of our society. Bad financial habits and/or ignorance is passed down from parents, who are often ignorant themselves as they were never taught.

Personally, I grew up lower-middle class. Didnt have nice things, but finances were never taught to me, and I was just "forbidden" from having credit in any way. Whether it was BMG, Columbia House, etc. Parents didnt own any Credit Cards... Then once I went away to college and in my mid-20s, I was on my own and able to acquire Credit Cards. I remember my first one was a Sabres one I signed up for to get a free towel or something.

I did some damage for sure with a series of bad decisions and learning as I go... touching hot stoves a few times. I had to spend a decent portion of my late 20s digging out. Im lucky though. I didnt even do a fraction of the damage that could be easily done. Mid 20s I did some reading on the topic to figure it out and I would say I am pretty to very good with money now. I just wished I would have been taught in High School. I would have really liked to have been able to save properly when I was 20-25 and also not pay any interest to a CC or a Car Loan...

I know once you have it figured out it SEEMS like common sense... but not a lot of people are there.

Edited by May Day 10

Personal Finance isn't mentioned in curriculum at any age, which is very strange to me. This is the most important premise of our society. Bad financial habits and/or ignorance is passed down from parents, who are often ignorant themselves as they were never taught.

Personally, I grew up lower-middle class. Didnt have nice things, but finances were never taught to me, and I was just "forbidden" from having credit in any way. Whether it was BMG, Columbia House, etc. Parents didnt own any Credit Cards... Then once I went away to college and in my mid-20s, I was on my own and able to acquire Credit Cards. I remember my first one was a Sabres one I signed up for to get a free towel or something.

I did some damage for sure with a series of bad decisions and learning as I go... touching hot stoves a few times. I had to spend a decent portion of my late 20s digging out. Im lucky though. I didnt even do a fraction of the damage that could be easily done. Mid 20s I did some reading on the topic to figure it out and I would say I am pretty to very good with money now. I just wished I would have been taught in High School. I would have really liked to have been able to save properly when I was 20-25 and also not pay any interest to a CC or a Car Loan...

I know once you have it figured out it SEEMS like common sense... but not a lot of people are there.

Can the government really teach you not to abuse a credit card? Does it really have to? How would it go about this?

The people who get into trouble with credit, etc, are going to do so no matter how much instruction you give them prior to them getting credit.

Regardless, DT was a grown man, not a 20-something college student, when he made those busines decisions. He knew the risks for sure.

its not just CC though. Thinking of long term future, thinking short term with the 6 months emergency fund, different vehicles for savings and advantages and disadvantages with long term and short term, interest rates, ways to shield you money and earnings from taxes, how to buy a car, a house/property, insurance, how never ever use a company like Rent-A-Center, etc.

This is the way our world goes around and most Americans just aren't taught these things. It is the most important and useful knowledge we can have... much moreso than The Boxer Rebellion. I was required to take Choir in High School for 2 years and this isn't available? I know in my case, If I was properly instructed on these things I would be much better off now (doing fine, but I mean even better with a nice head start). I cant imagine how many people dont get things in order and educate themselves and keep messing up and going bankrupt, defaulting, etc.

I think in a typical High School curriculum, a year or 2 of personal finance class should be a no-brainer. Maybe even plant some seeds younger

This is off-topic though. Not sure it would make a difference with Talley or a number of other entertainers/athletes who run out of money and earning potential. I just mean in general.

Edited by May Day 10

its not just CC though. Thinking of long term future, thinking short term with the 6 months emergency fund, different vehicles for savings and advantages and disadvantages with long term and short term, interest rates, ways to shield you money and earnings from taxes, how to buy a car, a house/property, insurance, how never ever use a company like Rent-A-Center, etc.

This is the way our world goes around and most Americans just aren't taught these things. It is the most important and useful knowledge we can have... much moreso than The Boxer Rebellion. I was required to take Choir in High School for 2 years and this isn't available? I know in my case, If I was properly instructed on these things I would be much better off now (doing fine, but I mean even better with a nice head start). I cant imagine how many people dont get things in order and educate themselves and keep messing up and going bankrupt, defaulting, etc.

I think in a typical High School curriculum, a year or 2 of personal finance class should be a no-brainer. Maybe even plant some seeds younger

This is off-topic though. Not sure it would make a difference with Talley or a number of other entertainers/athletes who run out of money and earning potential. I just mean in general.

I understand what you are saying. But, to use your example of Rent a Center, people want nice things, new things--whether they can afford them or not. You could spent 2 or 3 or 4 years in high school/Jr High telling kids not to spend what they don't have, but for some, it won't matter. The rest would have figured it out without the extra class work.

Also, if kids didn't grow up seeing parents sacrifice for them (i.e., not buying the things they, the parents, really wanted), then the kids will not keep out of financial trouble.

Most people have common sense, but some willingly/knowingly suspend it. That cannot be instructed away....

Personal Finance isn't mentioned in curriculum at any age, which is very strange to me.

In 7th grade, my math class included six weeks of personal finance and budgeting. It's the only time I've ever heard of such a thing being taught.

(It's also the only time I was counseled by the teacher and principal with "Look, we know you're performing poorly because you're way beyond this material and bored silly. It's the best we can teach you. So just work with us so we can advance you, please?")

In 7th grade, my math class included six weeks of personal finance and budgeting. It's the only time I've ever heard of such a thing being taught.

(It's also the only time I was counseled by the teacher and principal with "Look, we know you're performing poorly because you're way beyond this material and bored silly. It's the best we can teach you. So just work with us so we can advance you, please?")

In 1930 they better had included that.

I don't want to destroy this thread again. I will leave you with this.

I have already spoken with ChevyVanMiller personally about this so you don't have to fight anyone else's battles for them. But if you feel the desire to confront me about it, we can do it in private.

How do you walk? Jk.

You must have the biggest balls on tbd. This is not a knock on you, btw. Just an observation.

I couldnt do it here. I would either donate or not.

Announcement coming very soon. Stay tuned.

just saw your update on the fund - anxious to hear how the Talley Family has decided to proceed. And I also once again want to express

my appreciation for what you have been able to do through all this - you, sir, were the leader of this charge. Well done.

just saw your update on the fund - anxious to hear how the Talley Family has decided to proceed. And I also once again want to express

my appreciation for what you have been able to do through all this - you, sir, were the leader of this charge. Well done.

Thanks, Jay. I greatly appreciate the kind words. Here is the announcement from the page:

The Fund has been officially closed to new donations.

Thank you to all who donated for Darryl. Your response has been amazing and awe-inspiring.

I've never been more proud to be a part of Bills Nation (and have a new and great respect for the fans of the Mountaineers).

What you have all done will be remembered and referenced for decades to come.

Stay tuned tomorrow for an announcement from the Talleys.

- Frank Thomas Croisdale

Darryl and Janine have announced that they've accepted the funds. I finalized the transfer process yesterday. I will write something longer that will be posted tomorrow that gives my thanks in greater detail, but I just want to take a moment here and thank everyone who contributed.

None of this would have been possible without TBD and TSW and I just want you all to know how much I love and appreciate you and how proud I am to be associated with the best damn Bills fans found anywhere on the planet.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-fan-donations

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Darryl and Janine have announced that they've accepted the funds. I finalized the transfer process yesterday. I will write something longer that will be posted tomorrow that gives my thanks in greater detail, but I just want to take a moment here and thank everyone who contributed.

None of this would have been possible without TBD and TSW and I just want you all to know how much I love and appreciate you and how proud I am to be associated with the best damn Bills fans found anywhere on the planet.

http://espn.go.com/n...t-fan-donations

Outstanding! I'm happy that they decided to accept the funds. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. Thank you again for advocating for him. Well done. clap.gif