GoFundMe for Darryl Talley (Update 7/12- Bills Hire Darryl)

$109,574

and counting

Buffalo steps up yet again

That is absolutely amazing...

You know...Every year someone at the HOF inductions claims they played for the best fans in the NFL...But this movement looks like tangible proof to me...Just incredible...Makes me awfully proud to say the very least... :thumbsup:

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is absolutely amazing...

You know...Every year someone at the HOF inductions claims they played for the best fans in the NFL...But this movement looks like tangible proof to me...Just incredible...Makes me awfully proud to say the very least... :thumbsup:

Thats a good word.

When i first saw the site up i donated. It wasnt much but hell i did not even read the article. still have not. doesn't matter even.

Proud to be a part of this good effort. biggest hug ever for Talley. from all of us and plenty more

I made my contribution out of respect to Darryl, but was not to crazy about approximately $8,800 of the $110k raised so far going to the fund first to cover their "operating costs" vs. to the Talley's. Per the fine print, approximately 8% of each donation is used to cover operating expenses of Go Fund Me.

I am actually shamed that people would donate money to a guy that has blown more money in his life than many of is will ever make. I know Talley isn't looking for handouts here and it's just someone taking it upon themselves to start up this donation. But man, people are donating to a guy that's lost more money than I'll make in my life.

With that said, He's one of my favorites of all time.

I made my contribution out of respect to Darryl, but was not to crazy about approximately $8,800 of the $110k raised so far going to the fund first to cover their "operating costs" vs. to the Talley's. Per the fine print, approximately 8% of each donation is used to cover operating expenses of Go Fund Me.

That's cheap compared to most. Just the charge for the credit card people use to donate is around 3%. The convenience for the site for all of the Bills fans and WV fans and others is worth a lot.

I am actually shamed that people would donate money to a guy that has blown more money in his life than many of is will ever make. I know Talley isn't looking for handouts here and it's just someone taking it upon themselves to start up this donation. But man, people are donating to a guy that's lost more money than I'll make in my life.

I struggle a little with it too. It's an odd feeling.

I work for a Non Profit and we try to stay at 10% so 8% is great especially since as Kelly said the scum suckers from the credit card are pocketing 3%!

I hear ya, brother. But I can't find another charity that takes less off the top for operating costs.

Just got off the phone with Darren Rovell from ESPN. The interview will be the feature story on ESPN.com in about 30 minutes.

He told me what has happened is unprecedented in sports history.

amazing!

Thats a good word.

When i first saw the site up i donated. It wasnt much but hell i did not even read the article. still have not. doesn't matter even.

Proud to be a part of this good effort. biggest hug ever for Talley. from all of us and plenty more

i think it's less about the total amount of money, than it is the number of people who decided to help him. That is what will make the difference, I think, in the end. He has that many people pulling for him, even though he doesn't play for the team anymore. It must do a lot for his state of mind.

He's another canary in a coal mine...We now know that these NFL guys are sacrificing their health and their longevity to play football for our beery eyed amusement.

I loved Talley as a player (those crazy eyes) but I'd prefer to see a public fund for research into making the NFL safer. Athletes with half a brain (to start with) are going to start thinking twice about opting for the NFL as a career.

Now having said that I am happy to see the outpouring of goodwill and money to Mr Talley.

Everything is back up and running with the Go Fund Me page. Evidently, once you eclipse $100,000 there is some new verification to be done.

Thanks to all of you, that is a nice problem to have. :)

If anyone tried to donate earlier and couldn't they can now.

Please keep the messages coming on the site to the Talleys. I know they are being seen and felt.

Relative to the past few posts about donating to a former millionaire. He played in an era where the knowledge of the damage he absorbed wasn't ubiquitous. He played his heart out for the team. Where he is mentally is not himself. Donating is a personal choice but I didn't look at what he made in the past. I looked what fate dealt him and where he and his family are now. In this regard, each of us are likely better off than he is now in most every way. You wouldn't trade places would you? I lost my job but I donated because I am in a better place than he is, I like him and simply because I am able too.

This past week, with the storm and the Bills response to the community, and win, and now this . . . This is why you were never going to get close to buying the team Mr. Bon Jovi . . . The depth of the bond between team and community is something outsiders cannot understand. And because you never got that BJ, you never had a prayer.

There are unquestionably worthier causes out there but I think the reason people are rallying around this one is that Talley is in the shape he's in as a direct result of something he did for us. I went back and forth on it and ultimately that's where I've ended up.

What an awesome display by Bills fans. What really astounds me though is the negative comments on the ESPN article left by so many via Facebook. Judging Daryl, and then even Bills fans for having the nerve to donate their hard earned money to a player that gave us so many great thrills following our favorite team. Suggesting that instead it should be given to a bum on the street, or a single mom with multiple children that she cannot afford ( talk about making poor choices. Children cost a good deal of $ last I checked) ! The self righteous attitude of these people is terrible. Bills fans feel that ex players are one of our own, a brother or friend that hit hard times. This is simply helping a friend, someone that has meant something in our life and is commendable IMO. Sorry if my sympathy is not with some street bum, and helping Talley may not save the world and it's problems but it's not misguided in any way.

Relative to the past few posts about donating to a former millionaire. He played in an era where the knowledge of the damage he absorbed wasn't ubiquitous. He played his heart out for the team. Where he is mentally is not himself. Donating is a personal choice but I didn't look at what he made in the past. I looked what fate dealt him and where he and his family are now. In this regard, each of us are likely better off than he is now in most every way. You wouldn't trade places would you? I lost my job but I donated because I am in a better place than he is, I like him and simply because I am able too.

thats your prerogative to donate. But I feel your priorities are out of whack if your donating to someone and don't have a job yourself. But it's your call.

There are unquestionably worthier causes out there but I think the reason people are rallying around this one is that Talley is in the shape he's in as a direct result of something he did for us. I went back and forth on it and ultimately that's where I've ended up.

the problem is many of these players knew what their bodies would be put through. And in the event that they had no idea. Do you really think any of them would have hung up the pads have they had known at the time? Most likely they would have asked for another shot of pain killers and suited up.

I feel for him as a player that I ised to enjoy watching. But to feel bad for his situation becaise he blew all his money I don't.

It also may have been a time where these players made less, but comparable to today's wages in the real world they were still well off. He's retired on over $50k a year. That more than most teachers or state workers get. And they didn't have the priveledge of making a few million at one time.

Why? I'd rather donate to Talley ( who earned every $ he ever made as an NFl player, the guy never took a play off and hardly ever missed a game despite injuries that would put most folks in hospital) than someone who never took advantage of opportunities in life and never developed any skill, but would gladly take a handout. There's no shame in helping out someone you knew ( of ) that entertained you and hit a rough patch in heir life. Folks are so quick to judge, absolutely certain they would not be in the same situation if they could only trade places. You want to earn an NFL players salary? Go be one then. I'm guessing it's not quite so easy. Lots of misguided jealousy out there. I'm more sympathetic to someone who had something and lost it than someone who never did anything and therefore never had anything... They got exactly what they should have. No sympathy required.

100% Agree. He lives on a goddamn golf course in a gated community! Oh my he rents! The horror!

The one positive I see is the dedication of this fanbase. It is truly astounding, however misdirected it may be in this instance.

Edited by SmokinES3