Global warming err Climate change HOAX

41 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok so when you question yourself what is the answer?  You’ve been asked by several of us what should be done and what have you done and so far you’ve side stepped everyone. 

gold medal for his virtue posturing 

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok so when you question yourself what is the answer?  You’ve been asked by several of us what should be done and what have you done and so far you’ve side stepped everyone. 

Do the things you believe will make a difference, once you acknowledge there's a lot we can do as individuals (personal conduct), a community/country/world (voting, donations, activism, advocacy). What I do vs what you do is unique to our means, where we live, and our priorities on the environment. 

I dedicate most of my volunteer labor to a non-environmental cause but our environmental $$ donations focus on a clean water group regionally, an animal wildlife preservation fund, and a rain forest preservation organization. On voting, I like candidates who take issues of deforestation, pollution, and overuse of fossil fuels seriously, and if anyone would do it, I'd love for someone to promote nuk-u-lar energy. That said, most candidates don't have rational environmental policies so it rarely makes a difference in my voting. 

19 minutes ago, bbb said:

Fancy way to say "I coach a kids' soccer team" 

I'd never undersell doing that but I don't do that anymore: I do have the merit badge from my 8 years as year-round travel soccer coach. At that time, I served on the board of the local soccer club as the travel chair and some other positions. And yeah, the board stuff took a lot of time, but it was so easy because travel sports parents are the bestest!

The coaching was a privilege and the one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I'll never regret that and anyone who can do it, should. 

Edited by John Adams
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

So John....what have YOU done? 

...LMAO.....the Ice Cap once covered PA and NY ,probably more, hence uncovered after millions of years.......just for starters......so we now have a gaggle of "sky is falling fanitical environmentalists" that are gonna take on Mother Nature?.....she's a mean SOB and does whatever she wants....as far as the "gaggle", who the hell needs "The Comedy Channel"?....pathetic..........

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, John Adams said:

I'd never undersell doing that but I don't do that anymore: I do have the merit badge from my 8 years as year-round travel soccer coach. At that time, I served on the board of the local soccer club as the travel chair and some other positions. And yeah, the board stuff took a lot of time, but it was so easy because travel sports parents are the bestest!

The coaching was a privilege and the one of the most rewarding things I've ever done. I'll never regret that and anyone who can do it, should. 

I found many travel parents to be borderline psychotic when it came to interacting with coaches, officials and parents.  I wasn't always thrilled with the structure of the organization(s), either, as there often seemed to be more of a profit motive than I would like to see.  Maybe soccer is different.

Big picture, I think 'travel' clubs contribute to our global enviro issues and can be quit divisive in practice.  I'd eliminate them totally. 

1 hour ago, John Adams said:

Long time soccer dad here! But I was really wondering how you felt you’re contributing to a cooler planet.

35 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I found many travel parents to be borderline psychotic when it came to interacting with coaches, officials and parents.  I wasn't always thrilled with the structure of the organization(s), either, as there often seemed to be more of a profit motive than I would like to see.  Maybe soccer is different.

Our club, like many i expect, was all volunteer run and managed. No one drew a penny of pay. We carried 30K in the bank from year to year in  a club with 1500 kids between the intramural and travel programs. 

The issues arose mostly because people were so invested in their kids, for both better and worse. 

25 minutes ago, John Adams said:

Our club, like many i expect, was all volunteer run and managed. No one drew a penny of pay. We carried 30K in the bank from year to year in  a club with 1500 kids between the intramural and travel programs. 

The issues arose mostly because people were so invested in their kids, for both better and worse. 

exactly, plus all the fossil fuels used to 'travel' with no carbon credits purchased to offset. 

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Why did the temperatures go down substantially in 1963, 1973, 1983, 2012, and 1998 while the CO2 was climbing?

Do you think that a complex system like the planet operates in a purely linear way? 

Still a troubling trend in temperature. 

• Like (+1) 1

Do you think that a complex system like the planet operates in a purely linear way? 

A graph of 60 years out of 4.5 billion is troubling to you. To me it’s non-linear. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe, maybe not.  Depends on how you pick your baseline.

Odd that the science media - and no small part of climate researchers - always pick the "Oh my God, we're all gonna ***** die" scariest baseline available.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Odd that the science media - and no small part of climate researchers - always pick the "Oh my God, we're all gonna ***** die" scariest baseline available.

that’s what the $$ funding them demands

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

A graph of 60 years out of 4.5 billion is troubling to you. To me it’s non-linear. 

A rising temperature even if it's just for 300 years, is a big deal to humans. Can we survive if? Of course. Ignoring it is foolish. 

There are other things we control more that are of bigger concern. 

20 hours ago, John Adams said:

Who said, "The Dems are against nuclear because they think it's too dangerous. That's idiotic given how clean and safe it is relative to almost every other power source, but that's the reason."

This thread is a circle jerk of boys debating who will get to eat the climate change cookie. I don't bother with it much.

It’s posts like this that make me long for the old board where you could click on the total post count of a thread and see exactly who had responded and how many times they did. 

Not it only is JA/BF throwing shade at one of our posters who has had a stroke and has admitted he has difficulty typing on his phone, but he’s thrown an entire generation under the bus in a smug sardonic manner. Merry Christmas. 

3 hours ago, John Adams said:

A rising temperature even if it's just for 300 years, is a big deal to humans. Can we survive if? Of course. Ignoring it is foolish. 

There are other things we control more that are of bigger concern. 

the question though is whether the cause is due to human activity. there is simply not enough empirical evidence to conclusively state one way or the other.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DC Tom said:

We don't all have to die for this to be a super serious problem. Taking a longer look at natural history shows just how easily the climate can be changed and the resulting destruction of species. We are changing the planets environment and it seems pretty obvious it's going to affect us. 

22 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

We don't all have to die for this to be a super serious problem. Taking a longer look at natural history shows just how easily the climate can be changed and the resulting destruction of species. We are changing the planets environment and it seems pretty obvious it's going to affect us. 

Solution:. Communize.