Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

You seem to be missing the point, and its not a stupid argument either. Every single one of those people you mentioned were on the payroll of some college before entering the NFL. Then when they first took a job in the NFL it was as an assistant coach. But, none you mentioned made an immediate transition from head coach in college to head coach in the NFL, NOT ONE! Huge difference as each one of those people learned the ropes of the NFL over time, and didn't jump right to an NFL head coaching job.

The numerous people I previously mentioned all were great head coaches in college, and failed in the NFL at the head coach level. Allow me to reiterate. Nick Saban didn't- Steve Spurrier didn't-Lou Holtz didn't- Butch Davis didn't- Bobby Petrino didn't-Dennis Erickson didn't- Frank Kush didn't- Bud Wilkinson didn't- Dick MacPherson didn't- Rich Brooks didn't.

The Buffalo Bills just recently hired 2x head coaches in from college in Chan Gailey with his 5 years of being the head coach at Georgia Tech, and numerous years of experience in the NFL as an assistant and previous NFL head coach, and he FAILED! Doug Marrone a HC in college at Syracuse who has previous NFL experience as an NFL O lineman, O line coach, OC for the Saints, and he is in the process of FAILING!

Bottom line is people like Chip Kelly who come into the NFL and make that jump from college HC to NFL HC while having great success are rarer then hens teeth, and are almost non existent. Dallas Cowboys HC Jimmy Johnson is about the only one I can think of who made the jump direct from HC in college to HC in the NFL. I can recall him winning a national championship with the Miami Hurricanes, and with his time at OSU he had both Barry Sanders & Thurman Thomas on his rosters.

I would not have any problem hiring Malzahn or Briles as an assistant coach OC under Schwartz, Harbaugh, or Cowher. As a direct jump from College HC to NFL HC with no prior NFL experience I'd say 3-5 years...maybe.

it is easy to come up with a reason not to try something new and innovative. The problem is, you are looking backward instead of looking toward the future. Most of the examples you give are are from eons ago, relatively speaking. The game has changed enormously, and will change even more in the future. It is more like college football than it used to be. More importantly, the brightest, most innovative concepts are now coming out of college now. Chip Kelly may be rare, but I think he is the first of many and that his success will spur a trend toward hiring bright (sorry, St Doug) innovative college coaches in the NFL. For once, it would be nice to see the Bills be one step ahead instead of two steps behind the rest of the league. I hope they say no to Dungy, Cowher etc, not that any of those guys want to coach again anyway. Edited by mannc

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Kelso (a lot) and think that he would make a great coach -just not a head coach. I can't think of anyone that's 1st coaching job (outside of high school) was an NFL head coach? It happens a lot in the NBA but you are managing 12 guys and a few assistants. In the NFL you have 80-100 guys and another dozen or so coaches. It is a huge transition. I could see him on the defensive staff but not as the head guy (maybe someday but not now IMO).

Totally on board. Didn't he have a brief stint at orchard park coaching defense?

David Shaw, current HC of Stanford, is a true leader of men and an excellent football mind. I'm not sure he can be pried away from there as he is a perfect fit at Stanford, but Pegula should try. Next choice is Jim Harbaugh.

Why even include the likes of Cowher, Gruden and Dungy? It is highly doubtful that any of them is ever coaching in the NFL again. Maybe if the money was great and they were walking into a phenomenal situation they'd consider it, but that sure isn't the case in Buffalo.

Edited by BarleyNY

David Shaw, current HC of Stanford, is a true leader of men and an excellent football mind. I'm not sure he can be pried away from there as he is a perfect fit at Stanford, but Pegula should try.

I don't think we could do better than David Shaw. And for those who think it matters, I believe he has experience as an assistant in the NFL. He might never leave Stanford, though.

I don't think we could do better than David Shaw. And for those who think it matters, I believe he has experience as an assistant in the NFL. He might never leave Stanford, though.

I thought about including him on the poll (he does have NFL experience in Baltimore). Shaw has been one of my favorites over the last few years but I am struggling getting past the red zone performance vs. USC. They had 9 trips in the red zone and came out with 10 points. It was a combination of poor play calling, execution, mistakes and just overall awful. Maybe I am holding it against him too much but it was that moment that my opinion changed. I should have included him on the poll though.

I thought about including him on the poll (he does have NFL experience in Baltimore). Shaw has been one of my favorites over the last few years but I am struggling getting past the red zone performance vs. USC. They had 9 trips in the red zone and came out with 10 points. It was a combination of poor play calling, execution, mistakes and just overall awful. Maybe I am holding it against him too much but it was that moment that my opinion changed. I should have included him on the poll though.

There is no question that Stanford has had a down year. IMO, the talent level is down significantly and Hogan's limitations are being exposed. I did not see the USC game, but I have heard it was awful. I'm not sure how much of it can be blamed on Shaw, but he is certainly not free of blame. FWIW, my only reservation about Shaw is that he seems to be from the old school, punt on 4th down no matter what school, which I am sick and tired of.

There is no question that Stanford has had a down year. IMO, the talent level is down significantly and Hogan's limitations are being exposed. I did not see the USC game, but I have heard it was awful. I'm not sure how much of it can be blamed on Shaw, but he is certainly not free of blame. FWIW, my only reservation about Shaw is that he seems to be from the old school, punt on 4th down no matter what school, which I am sick and tired of.

That was my other reason too :). One of my interview questions would be a game situation where the Bills have 4th & 1 on the 39 yard line and are up 7. What would you do? If he says punt I would thank him for his time

Marrone and Whaley need to be back next season. They have to own this and make it work.

Why?

With no first round pick you will not get the best possible candidates jumping up and down with excitement to coach Orton and EJ on a team with NO first round pick.

Is that how you want to start your career? The search will be like Cleveland's. You could argue that ended up well for them but they also had a good foundation and the leagues best oline. The QB was always the issue.

IMO there are 2 options. You make Marrone fire Morris and Hackett and hire an NFL OC.

Or number 2. Hire Schwartz. Make Pepper Johnson (is he the secret to the improved run D and Dareus monster season?) make him the DC..which is what he's looking for anyway.

I agree with all of this. Personally I think that Cowher would be a disaster. It would be Shanahan bad. He's smart enough to see that it is a different game and stay in the studio.

Harbaugh would be a good choice. He's crazy but can coach. I'd be cool with him if he gets his personality under control.

Who would come here to scheme the dreadful offense for a radio color commentator that has never coached? They couldn't even talk Nate Hackett into staying under that scenario.

I want nutty. I've had enough after 15 years of this. Harbaugh may be a lunatic, but he's a winner. My hang up with him isn't the kelly thing, it's schwartz. I'd be reluctant to mess with the d. Personally I think we need someone to rock the boat. We've been on autopilot with an absent boss for too long. Time to change the atmosphere there.

What about Sean Payton or even "Red Jesus" if Dallas misses the playoffs?

Payton won't be available. They may erect a statute of him outside of the Superdome. He is bulletproof here.

Garrett would be an interesting OC IMO. I can't believe that I am saying that but it's possible. He has runs good offenses for a while. If Marrone stayed I would be happy with Garrett and Schwartz as the coordinators.

Payton won't be available. They may erect a statute of him outside of the Superdome. He is bulletproof here.

Garrett would be an interesting OC IMO. I can't believe that I am saying that but it's possible. He has runs good offenses for a while. If Marrone stayed I would be happy with Garrett and Schwartz as the coordinators.

so, you'll put 103 year old Tom Coghlin in my play but you poo poo Payton & RJ? I think that this poll is fixed. You're Walt Coleman, aren't you?

so, you'll put 103 year old Tom Coghlin in my play but you poo poo Payton & RJ? I think that this poll is fixed. You're Walt Coleman, aren't you?

Ha ha, I don't think that Coughlin or Harbaugh are realistic but they will be available. Coughlin will "retire" I think and Harbaugh will be at Michigan. Garrett may very well be available but Payton is untouchable. Belicheck is as likely to become available as Sean Payton.

I have, to this point, been willing to give Marrone the benefit of the doubt. I am very keen we keep Schwartz as DC and thought Marrone might be encouraged to move Hackett on and bring in a proper OC and I could live with that. However, after the shambles offensively of the last 7 quarters of football when our season has been on the line I can't defend him. At some point surely he has to step in and remove Hackett? It should have happened yesterday for me if not before.

However, I look at that list of possible candidates and wow it is not very inspiring is it?

Harbaugh? Not unless John is available.....

Cowher, Gruden or Dungy? Not unless it is 2005.....

Rex? Really? As the answer to the horrific offense.....?

Coughlin? Have the Giants looked a well coached team to you the past 2 years?

Reich? Nice thought but no thanks.

McDaniels? He was involved in the drafting of Tebow in the 1st round... enough said...

Which basically leaves me 2 college guys and their innovative offenses (really? is setting up in an obvious pass formation and then running the ball that innovative? That's how Gailey got a big year out of Spiller) who could be massive hits or massive misses but feel a bit like a swing for the fences... or an NFC West coordinator.... or Jim Schwartz (who whilst I think he is an excellent DC I am less sure of his HC credentials). Of the choices there I think Todd Bowles is probably the best football coach. Hence that is where my vote went.... but if we take Malzahn or Briles as a swing for the fences (probably slight preference for Briles) I'd be ok with that.

I'd also be with Pat Shurmur who isn't on the list but has been mentioned. I think he was in a bad spot in Cleveland where there a lot of people sticking their noses in and wanting to have a say. He has always run pretty decent offenses that are Quarterback friendly and I'd like to see what he could achieve with EJ. I think Shurmur will definitely get looks from teams this off-season. Hue Jackson who some people here favoured back inn 2012 when Marrone was hired is another possible.

My list of preference would probably be:

1. Bowles

2. Briles / Mazahn

3. Schurmur

4. Schwartz

5. Jackson

I have a feeling that, if Marrone is fired, Schwartz will get the head coaching job, if only for the sake of some continuity. And if he isn't promoted, he will leave.

As far fetched as it is, im throwing in a vote for Coughlin. Id love to see him coach the Bills against Belichick twice a year in division match-ups.

great. Like I said, my vote is Vince Lombardi.

Edited by HoF Watkins

It would be nice to see an NFL coach wear a sport coat and tie on the sidelines again.

Bet he'd run alot of i-formation

A sport coat would be cool. But these days you need a whole new formation, maybe a "Z-Formation".

Anyone that doesn't think that scheme and design is important please turn on the OSU game and watch all of the motion, fakes and misdirection that Urban Meyer is using.

Especially if you don't have an excellent QB!

And don't forget in the Red Zone...

Edited by HoF Watkins

Anyone that doesn't think that scheme and design is important please turn on the OSU game and watch all of the motion, fakes and misdirection that Urban Meyer is using.

Turnovers are killing them today, feel like I'm watching the Bills. But to be honest I think Meyer is slimy so I hope they lose.

Turnovers are killing them today, feel like I'm watching the Bills. But to be honest I think Meyer is slimy so I hope they lose.

It looks a lot like the KC game, right to the fumble at the goal line.

I'm a Buckeye fan so I am partial but there is space and guys are open all over the field. They have a lot of young talent but the design is unbelievable.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'm a Buckeye fan so I am partial but there is space and guys are open all over the field. They have a lot of young talent but the design is unbelievable.

The KC game was exactly what I was thinking of with my comment. I really don't have a rooting interest in the game so for your sake I hope OSU wins. Meyer is like Carrol IMHO college slime at its worst.

Bills are not going to take a college coach 2 times in a row. ALthough, we did take 2 retread HCs in a row in Jauron and Gailey, and then had 2 overmatched Coordinators in a row before that in Mularkey and WIlliams, perhaps it would make sense to have 2 college coaches in a row now???

I am thinking this might be Wade Phillips redux, circa 2015 - Marrone is given a choice to fire Hackett and Morris; if he does, Marrone stays for the sake of "continuity"; if he refuses, he gets canned and we start over with a new HC and OC. We'd then see how loyal he is to Hackett.

I am thinking this might be Wade Phillips redux, circa 2015 - Marrone is given a choice to fire Hackett and Morris; if he does, Marrone stays for the sake of "continuity"; if he refuses, he gets canned and we start over with a new HC and OC. We'd then see how loyal he is to Hackett.

I doubt Schawrtz will stay if Marrone leaves and he isn't given the HC job. He has already been a head coach, and why would he want to stay on as a DC under someone that didn't hire him? After this season, with the way the defense performed, he would have to be a HC candidate around the league, or at least able to get a higher paying, more desirable DC job.

I hear what your saying but I don't think Doug has a record to stand on like Wade did. I'm also in the minority but I'm not even sure Buddy Hackett is the problem with the offense at this point. But if Doug is going to fall on the sword for him...see ya.

I hear what your saying but I don't think Doug has a record to stand on like Wade did. I'm also in the minority but I'm not even sure Buddy Hackett is the problem with the offense at this point. But if Doug is going to fall on the sword for him...see ya.

Yeah, the game management is definitely Marrone, and I have to think that Hackett is working within guidelines set by Marrone, as far as the general approach overall, and to each game is concerned.

Paul Brown. I can name coaches who didn't have ANY NFL experience and came into the NFL and had success.

Really, who? and did it take them 3 to 5 years?

EDIT: looking at the current poll, more people want Marrone back then they do Malzhan.

it is easy to come up with a reason not to try something new and innovative. The problem is, you are looking backward instead of looking toward the future. Most of the examples you give are are from eons ago, relatively speaking. The game has changed enormously, and will change even more in the future. It is more like college football than it used to be. More importantly, the brightest, most innovative concepts are now coming out of college now. Chip Kelly may be rare, but I think he is the first of many and that his success will spur a trend toward hiring bright (sorry, St Doug) innovative college coaches in the NFL. For once, it would be nice to see the Bills be one step ahead instead of two steps behind the rest of the league. I hope they say no to Dungy, Cowher etc, not that any of those guys want to coach again anyway.

What offenses are currently working in the NFL? Brady, Manning, Luck all in traditional offenses, and even Philly is running the same type of offense only faster paced. Not to mention that Kelly has one of the best offensive lines that Andy Reid helped build. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000291459/article/chip-kellys-college-offense-has-philadelphia-eagles-soaring

The read option that RG3, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick came in with a bang just a few short years ago is no longer working the way it was. Plus, the guy the Redskins paid 3 first rounders for has been injured more often then healthy. The offenses Kirby is suggesting is basically a power run, read option spread, and in the NFL the QB's in that type of offense will have a very short lifespan.

Paul Brown went from college to the AAFC, and is the reason I didn't mention him is he didn't make a direct jump from HC in college to the NFL.

To the people I'm in conversation with over another college coach hire. I just don't think you fully understand just how difficult the transition is from coaching amateur young men to coaching highly paid professionals really is. Nick Saban has won how many national championships? Four now, and one of those was with LSU before he was the HC at Miami. He has won three more since then, and he isn't even on the list.

The list of 10 highly talented "great" college coaches who failed to make that transition vs the real world of only two in the entire history of the NFL that actually made that transition leaves me to think it will be almost impossible odds for someone like Malzhan to succeed. Its really why Marrone was pretty much doomed to fail in his first attempt.

Malzhan's Auburn Tigers are currently ranked 9th, and his team leads the ACC in penalties. (discipline problems?) WOW! The man has only been a head coach at the college level for 3 short years, and while he lost the BCS championship last season in his first year at Auburn. He already has lost 2 games this year, and is currently 4th in the division behind Miss St, Alabama, Old Miss. Once the big boys figure out what he is doing I doubt he will see another BCS championship game again. While you have to admire what he has done at Auburn in such a short time. To me, hiring this man would probably be a bigger whiff then hiring Marrone, who at least had prior NFL experience.

Don't get me wrong as I would love to see the man hired as the Bills offensive coordinator under a Cowher, Harbaugh, Coughlin, Gruden, or even Mike Smith. I just think it would take 3-5 years before he would see success as an NFL HC, JMHO.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Really, who? and did it take them 3 to 5 years?

EDIT: looking at the current poll, more people want Marrone back then they do Malzhan.

What offenses are currently working in the NFL? Brady, Manning, Luck all in traditional offenses, and even Philly is running the same type of offense only faster paced. Not to mention that Kelly has one of the best offensive lines that Andy Reid helped build. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000291459/article/chip-kellys-college-offense-has-philadelphia-eagles-soaring

The read option that RG3, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, and Colin Kaepernick came in with a bang just a few short years ago is no longer working the way it was. Plus, the guy the Redskins paid 3 first rounders for has been injured more often then healthy. The offenses Kirby is suggesting is basically a power run, read option spread, and in the NFL the QB's in that type of offense will have a very short lifespan.

Paul Brown went from college to the AAFC, and is the reason I didn't mention him is he didn't make a direct jump from HC in college to the NFL.

To the people I'm in conversation with over another college coach hire. I just don't think you fully understand just how difficult the transition is from coaching amateur young men to coaching highly paid professionals really is. Nick Saban has won how many national championships? Four now, and one of those was with LSU before he was the HC at Miami. He has won three more since then, and he isn't even on the list.

The list of 10 highly talented "great" college coaches who failed to make that transition vs the real world of only two in the entire history of the NFL that actually made that transition leaves me to think it will be almost impossible odds for someone like Malzhan to succeed. Its really why Marrone was pretty much doomed to fail in his first attempt.

Malzhan's Auburn Tigers are currently ranked 9th, and his team leads the ACC in penalties. (discipline problems?) WOW! The man has only been a head coach at the college level for 3 short years, and while he lost the BCS championship last season in his first year at Auburn. He already has lost 2 games this year, and is currently 4th in the division behind Miss St, Alabama, Old Miss. Once the big boys figure out what he is doing I doubt he will see another BCS championship game again. While you have to admire what he has done at Auburn in such a short time. To me, hiring this man would probably be a bigger whiff then hiring Marrone, who at least had prior NFL experience.

Don't get me wrong as I would love to see the man hired as the Bills offensive coordinator under a Cowher, Harbaugh, Coughlin, Gruden, or even Mike Smith. I just think it would take 3-5 years before he would see success as an NFL HC, JMHO.

It's the SEC (not ACC). Clearly there are a lot of people on here that don't follow college football by some of the voting. This isn't UB that we are talking about this is big boy football. Maybe it's just hard to relate to for those that don't live in an area with big programs. In Texas, FL, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, GA, California, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kentucky, Oregon, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennesse, Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming and West Virginia college football is the dominant sport.

Again, why would someone making $1M more than Marrone take an OC job? The Bills head coaching job falls behind about 20 college jobs in terms of profile and Auburn is one of them. The only way that you are getting him is if you offer him more than $7M a year (double Marrone money). He also won a National Championship as an OC. He will be one of the most sought after guys out there and destined for stardom. He has flourished everywhere, always. Yes, they've lost 2 games and are ranked 9th in the country. Let's not try to act as if they are failing.

In terms of understanding the transition I probably understand it as well as anyone on this board. I'm the one with the real world experience in both environments. It is not about what I've read or heard but what I've witnessed.

If we are scared to be ahead of the curve we will continue to remain in the purgatory that we are in. Get the guy that coaches what works in 2014 not what worked in 1995.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It's the SEC (not ACC). Clearly there are a lot of people on here that don't follow college football by some of the voting. This isn't UB that we are talking about this is big boy football. Maybe it's just hard to relate to for those that don't live in an area with big programs. In Texas, FL, Louisiana, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, GA, California, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kentucky, Oregon, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Tennesse, Arkansas, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, North Dakota, Wyoming and West Virginia college football is the dominant sport.

Again, why would someone making $1M more than Marrone take an OC job? The Bills head coaching job falls behind about 20 college jobs in terms of profile and Auburn is one of them. The only way that you are getting him is if you offer him more than $7M a year (double Marrone money). He also won a National Championship as an OC. He will be one of the most sought after guys out there and destined for stardom. He has flourished everywhere, always. Yes, they've lost 2 games and are ranked 9th in the country. Let's not try to act as if they are failing.

In terms of understanding the transition I probably understand it as well as anyone on this board. I'm the one with the real world experience in both environments. It is not about what I've read or heard but what I've witnessed.

If we are scared to be ahead of the curve we will continue to remain in the purgatory that we are in. Get the guy that coaches what works in 2014 not what worked in 1995.

Yea a typo, brainsnap I meant SEC.

What scares the hell out of me is only been a HC at the college level for 3 years, and went to the BCS championship his first year at Auburn. So far a one year wonder at the HC level in college.

You see to be overlooking some clear issues in that his current team has some discipline problems http://www.al.com/au...sponsibili.html

Then the type of offense he runs, and has had great success with in College would get his QB's killed in the NFL.

While the man may eventually have great success in the NFL if given the opportunity. I just happen to see that the odds of him * having immediate* success at the NFL level are next to impossible. Like I said 3-5 years to learn the NFL ropes.

While I'm currently against the hire, as I want instant gratification with a winning season next year. Sad to say the Bills could have gotten there this year with a better run game, O line.

Although, like I said I would dearly love to see a power run game, spread offense in Buffalo. The Bills were idiots to trade away both Jason Peters & Marshawn Lynch. But, that was then.

Anyway, If the Bills are going to offer 7 mill per to someone I'm hoping its to Harbaugh, or Cowher. :D

BTW, I'm currently watching the Auburn (9) vs Georgia (15) game now.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Remember when Brian Kelly was going to be the next college HC to make the big leap? Yeah, he can't count.

un-freaking-believable with the fumble in the end zone AND the buckeye who tried to fall on it and couldn't get it! And I never want to see Jalin Marshall returning punts again. Go Bucks. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yea a typo, brainsnap I meant SEC.

What scares the hell out of me is only been a HC at the college level for 3 years, and went to the BCS championship his first year at Auburn. So far a one year wonder at the HC level in college.

You see to be overlooking some clear issues in that his current team has some discipline problems http://www.al.com/au...sponsibili.html

Then the type of offense he runs, and has had great success with in College would get his QB's killed in the NFL.

While the man may eventually have great success in the NFL if given the opportunity. I just happen to see that the odds of him * having immediate* success at the NFL level are next to impossible. Like I said 3-5 years to learn the NFL ropes.

While I'm currently against the hire, as I want instant gratification with a winning season next year. Sad to say the Bills could have gotten there this year with a better run game, O line.

Although, like I said I would dearly love to see a power run game, spread offense in Buffalo. The Bills were idiots to trade away both Jason Peters & Marshawn Lynch. But, that was then.

Anyway, If the Bills are going to offer 7 mill per to someone I'm hoping its to Harbaugh, or Cowher. :D

BTW, I'm currently watching the Auburn (9) vs Georgia (15) game now.

The thing with the offense is if you look at his history he has adapted his offense to his talent everywhere. He has had elite passing and running teams. There is a breakdown of it all in the Grantland article. Some guys are just geniuses (nerds if you will). The nerds are all the rage now. FWIW, I would like the Harbaugh hire too but he's heading to Michigan almost certainly. Edited by Kirby Jackson

My vote was Bevell...did a little research on him - too much to post here - but good Offensive mind and young guy who has real leadership capability. Best of all?? Worked with and identified good QBs, especially Russell Wilson whom Carroll public and unabashedly stated at the time of the Draft that Wilson was all Bevell and then Bevell's project. To me, best option available.

FWIW, I would like the Harbaugh hire too but he's heading to Michigan almost certainly.

Do you really think so? I would be surprised. It seems to me that the Big 10 has fallen so far that it is barely even considered a major conference. Ohio State might go 11-1 and not even get invited to the playoff because the league is perceived as so weak. That matters, because it will make it difficult to recruit the very best players, even for a guy like Harbaugh. Edited by mannc