Who do you WANT as the Bills coach in 2015?

Kirby Jackson

Bills Head Coach 2015  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the Bills Head Coach in 2015? (if you select other please indicate your choice in the comments)

If Schwartz leaves, I'd try stealing Rex Ryan away for DC if he isn't with the Jets next year.

I like Marrone a lot but I think he is still TOO conservative for my liking. I like what he did at QB, but I wish he gave EJ a chance to show progression when the game is out of reach or when we are ahead like vs the Jets.

He is everything the front office said he would be compared to Gailey and Jauron, but compared to Kelly and Coaches of his like, Marrone isn't on the same page.

-We need someone to be

-Truly innovative.

-Go for it on fourth and short and understand what the team can or can't do when considering momentum shifts.

-Understand situational football better.

-Have gimmick plays that keep defenses on their toes.

-Show some passion in interviews with the media instead of being so generic. His demeanor is trickling down the team on offense ("his forte") and he looks like a guy who is soft with no balls half the time. I want a smash mouth football team. But not overalls cocky like Rex Ryan, just confident.

Edited by DukeyBomb

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Marrone goes I doubt Schwartz stays unless he is the HC. The only way that he does is with a big raise.

I don't know why you think that it will take 3-5 years? Those guys (Malzahb & Briles) won immediately everywhere. Where we disagree is that I don't need to see someone has done it to believe that he can. I just need to see his skills.

Because you seem to think that the transition from College to the NFL is effortless, and easy. Yet I already showed you numerous great college HC's that failed big time as NFL HC's. Chip Kelly IS an anomaly and perhaps a genius because he has had no prior NFL experience. Whereas both Pete Carroll & Jim Harbaugh both have been in the NFL for over 10 years.

Marrone has even had prior NFL experience as a player, as an O line coach, as an OC for the Saints under Sean Payton, and is currently in the process of failing in his first stint as an NFL HC.

Chan Gailey had prior NFL experience and failed miserably. Then after his first stint as an NFL head coach " you don't know what you don't know"! NO THANKS, I don't want another wannabe or maybe who will need 3-5 years until HE learns the NFL ropes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to the people who are wondering about Jim Harbough, and his current status.

Jay Glazer sees “no way” Jim Harbaugh remains with 49ers beyond this year

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/05/jay-glazer-sees-no-way-jim-harbaugh-remains-with-49ers-beyond-this-year/

Jim Harbaugh's relationship with 49ers brass is getting worse

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000390199/article/jim-harbaugh-losing-san-francisco-49ers-locker-room'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000390199/article/jim-harbaugh-losing-san-francisco-49ers-locker-room

While the last article is an old one there are numerous recent articles http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000390199/article/jim-harbaugh-losing-san-francisco-49ers-locker-room

The story is based on the presence of 49ers GM Trent Baalke, and how badly the relationship has gone between Harbaugh and Baalke. They won't even talk to each other face to face, and its now down to communication with e-mails. The 49ers hired Baalke in January 2011, the same year they hired Harbaugh in January 7th only 4 days after winning the Orange bowl.

I liken this situation as very similar between ex Cowboy HC Jimmy Johnson, and current Cowboy owner Jerry Jones as both think all their winning in the 90's was the result of themselves.

To me, Baalke getting credit as NFL executive of the year in 2012 was primarily because of Jim Harbaugh as that team was mostly already built before he even got there.

Not having a #1 pick does not hinder a coach coming here, at least in my mind. It would be one thing if we were Tennessee with no direction, tons of holes -- if we were them and also didn't have a #1 then yes, I'd agree. But this team has players, has cap room, it certainly has holes, but they aren't enough to deter high profile coaches.

I respectfully disagree. For the Bills to win the competition for a "high profile" coach, the sales pitch has got to be over the top. Granted, with Littman (aka Uncle Scrooge McDuck) no longer controlling the cash flow in to Orchard Park money should not be an issue. For "high profile" COACHES with established records (Cowher, Gruden, etc...) the conditions have to be absolutely perfect as they have their legacy to lose. And, for them, money is not the lure. It has to be a "cannot lose" environment. Full control and in the absence of an established, successful, stable QB, a high 1st round pick with an Andrew Luck type prospect waiting. Much was learned by Joe Gibbs' return to coaching...does anyone even remember?? Phil Jackson did not return to the Knicks to COACH...

Anyway...the lack of a first round pick will absolutely be in the CON column of any "high profile" candidate. Buffalo will never lure an established candidate if they have to compete to get him. I think the personnel department is in the best shape since John Butler and AJ Smith. I am a big believer in separation of duties and not giving any one person the God switch. Bring in a coach that cares about coaching football players that care about playing football. Not administrators that stay at Holiday Inn Express and get "permission" to run a billion dollar operation.

Pat Shurmur

Edited by 217014170

Mike Smith is not on the list. I suspect he may be available. He would be an improvement for sure.

I considered him but he will be radioactive by the time the season is over. He needs to sit on a TV set for a season and hope the Falcons look just as bad next year.

Besides...the Bills do not need a Defensive minded head coach...Defense is already a strength and trending positively. If they go Defensive minded head coach they need to look at John Pagano in San Diego. Chuck Pagano's brother and he looks like he grew up in Buffalo! For those who want Rex Ryan...you really want John Pagano.

The game has just changed so much from those days. The game prep and analytic has made it even more important to have good coaching than ever. You need to be able to scheme. Coaching is 80% scheming and 20% motivating at this point. In Marv's day it might have been 80/20 the other way. That's why I think that Cowher or Dungy would be bad decisions. It's not about leading guys; it's about putting them in advantageous situations.

FWIW, Chan would be a great OC IMO (and may take that job). I would certainly sign up for that.

The NFL head coach is mostly about who they hire as assistants. Marv Levy made his claim to fame on the backs of a group of hall of fame players, and a great offensive mind in Ted Marchibroda. Marv was a special teams coach under Redskins HC George Allen. He wasn't ever an OC or DC, and that special team background is probably why he recognized Steve Tasker's talent.

The ex head coach of the Baltimore Colts Ted Marchibroda brought many things with him to Buffalo as OC. He had tutored QB Bert Jones while in Baltimore, and knew how to help develop QB Jim Kelly. Marchibroda taught Jim Kelly his offense, and taught him to call all his own offensive plays. Which is something that was done back in the Johnny Unitas days. But wasn't a normal thing for a QB in the late 80's & early 90's. Marino & Elway never called their own plays. This is a big reason as to why the offense didn't miss Marchibroba much when he was rehired to the head coach of the Colts after the 91 super bowl.

Marchibroda also installed the old Redskins counter-trey O line run style, and brought in the no- huddle, hurry up offense because basically Old Ted saw how great, and proficient Jim Kelly was at running the 2 min drill. So he had Kelly run the 2 min drill all game.

Marv was a supreme motivator as most of the great head coaches are, and will be. Its who they hire as their assistants that will truly define them. Marv's failure of sorts was not finding a better defensive coordinator then Walt Corey, and keeping him despite some bad years.

This is exactly why someone like Bill Cowher would be an excellent hire. "the Chin" is a supreme motivator, and the man has won a ton of games with absolute scrubs at QB. Cowher knows NFL talent at every position, and would never allow players like Pears, Legursky, Brown, Green to ever take the field in a Bills uni. Cowher also know who he would want as his assistants. I liken his hiring at this stage to the hiring of Dick Vermeil in his second stint with the Rams at age of 61. Which BTW was the same age as Marv levy was when he was hired in Buffalo. Marv told everyone he was 58 at that time.

Yea, I voted for Harbaugh, and would like Cowher if Harbaugh does elsewhere. Lets not forget that in order to win in the division the Bills will need a great HC in order to beat the devil, and his proteges.

I voted Malzahn as my first choice, and Gruden is my last choice. With Malzahn I feel we might be ahead of the curve for a change. Gruden won in Tampa with Dungy's team beating his own playbook in the Super Bowl (stupid beyond imagination!). The players had issues with him and his ego was out of control. We would win with Harbaugh, but he'd wear thin in Buffalo like he has in SF.