Thoughts on who will coach Jets in 2015

Unless they go on a tear in 2nd half (highly unlikely), then it's near a certainty Rex won't be coaching Jets come next season.

Some possible candidates:

- Rob Ryan: Don't laugh, stranger things have happened and this is the Jets

- Bill Cowher: (my darkhorse favorite) Already in NYC for broadcasting, probably loves the big market spotlight. Think he'll like Jets core of decent players, high draft picks, and cap space

- Darrell Bevell: Not sure why his name always comes up since Seattle is really known for defense, but it does so I'll put him here

- Josh McDaniels: He left Bellichick before, he wants to be a head coach. But would he betray him for a division rival? Never know, these teams have a weird history of coach movements

- Kyle Shanahan: First time in years Browns have an offense. With something to hang his hat on, just a matter of time before "the other" Shanahan gets a shot

- Jim Schwartz: If Bills D ends up Top 3, it's possible. Last year we lost a 1-year DC after he got credit for a big move up the defensive rankings

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking they've had their fill with DC studs with large ego's for a while….Schwartzie not a fit.

They may need someone that can command immediate respect like Cowher the same way Parcells came in there and created a winning atmosphere.

Having a top 3 pick in the draft will be a nice kicker to a new HC.

It is Kyle Shanahan. You are getting him confused with Brian Schottenheimer who, incidently, was Rex's OC in the AFC Title games.

Pesonally not sure Cowher will coach again to be honest.... although if you gave him full control over football operations it could tempt him I suppose. The biggest problem in New York has been the GM position. Idzik and his predeccessor have a succession of draft busts left trailing behind them. Rex, in my view, covered up for that last year and performed a miracle to get that team to .500. But the decisions in the secondary in the off-season were a disaster and the constant plucking of big name receivers from here there and anywhere without any thought to their fit in the scheme is equally foolish.

I don't think Bill Cowher will ever coach again. He's been away too long and the money is too easy.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Ryan stay and Idzik go. As a coach, Ryan can only do so much with that nightmare of a roster.

I think Cowher will coach again and it will be in Buffalo. (In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he was waiting for the Pegula ownership of the Bills all along).

As for the Jets, Harbaugh is my guess. I think they trade a pick to get him and give him all the power (Ryan and Idzik both get canned).

If not Harbaugh, I could see Jon Gruden. He's an egomaniac and would love the NY stage. Plus they'll have a pick in the top two or three so he can choose his QB.

Edited by Maddog69

Except the players briefing the media that is. Of course they deny it - he is done.

Still I just don't get it. He's been to a super bowl and conference championship. Totally outperformed his predecessor singletary. With how hard it is to find a competent HC, why mess with it? Just because he can be an ass? At least he wins

Jim Harbaugh

I hope not, and can only hope its somebody lame again.

Eric Mangini, Herman Edwards, Al Groh... their choices for head coaches are about as bad as their choices for QB.

Just think, this team fired Mangini at 9-7. Plus they had Bill Belichick for a day!

Edited by FeartheLosing

Btw, am I the only person that think that Cowher would be a disaster in today's NFL? His ultra conservative, punt from the 39 on 4th and an inch is destined to fail in this high scoring league. The pace of the game that the winning teams play at vs. the pace that he liked to play at are opposites. I have no interest in him whatsoever. If the Bills are in the market for a new coach (and it isn't Schwartz) Gus Malzahn is my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

I hope not, and can only hope its somebody lame again.

Eric Mangini, Herman Edwards, Al Groh... their choices for head coaches are about as bad as their choices for QB.

Just think, this team fired Mangini at 9-7. Plus they had Bill Belichick for a day!

Ha ha, I'm hoping for Kyle Shanahan.

Still I just don't get it. He's been to a super bowl and conference championship. Totally outperformed his predecessor singletary. With how hard it is to find a competent HC, why mess with it? Just because he can be an ass? At least he wins

Because if he working relationship has broken down between him and his bosses and (as alleged) between him and some of his players that can only be to the long term detriment. I think the 9ers miss the play-offs, go 8-8 and make a change. Harbaugh walks away with a very strong CV and the 9ers is a very attractive job. Lots of rumous that the team very much like Greg Roman and maybe promote him.

I think Cowher will coach again and it will be in Buffalo. (In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he was waiting for the Pegula ownership of the Bills all along).

If I remember correctly, Cowher said before that he would want a franchise QB in place before he would coach a team again. Didn't want to take the time to find, then develop, one himself.

Neither the Jests or the Bills have a franchise QB on the roster.

I could see the Jests wanting Harbaugh, the question is would he want the Jests.

Edited by CodeMonkey

If I remember correctly, Cowher said before that he would want a franchise QB in place before he would coach a team again. Didn't want to take the time to find, then develop, one himself.

Neither the Jests or the Bills have a franchise QB on the roster.

I could see the Jests wanting Harbaugh, the question is would he want the Jests.

How about dungy? Would he coach again? Be a great new face for that franchise. Opposite of that blowhard rex

Btw, am I the only person that think that Cowher would be a disaster in today's NFL? His ultra conservative, punt from the 39 on 4th and an inch is destined to fail in this high scoring league. The pace of the game that the winning teams play at vs. the pace that he liked to play at are opposites. I have no interest in him whatsoever. If the Bills are in the market for a new coach (and it isn't Schwartz) Gus Malzahn is my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

Totally agree. He may have a good defense if he ever comes back and win a few games, but he's been on the sidelines for a long time. Could he come back and do well? Maybe, but he would need a bright offensive mind on his staff

From what I've heard from local radio shows - Cowher does not have an interest in coaching again unless it's the perfect situation. The Jets are far, far, far from that.

worst kept coaching secret....Cowher is waiting for the Giants job to open up.

Yup. Look at one of his pupils in Lovie Smith.

Tampa has somehow gotten worse since Schiano was fired

The game just changes so quickly that these guys that were effective 10 years ago may not be successful now. The best way to judge them isn't on their record but on their philosophy and scheme. Are teams that have a similar approach or scheme to "x" former coach succeeding in 2014? If the answer is the Tampa 2 has been getting shredded, there is no reason to believe that Dungy would have a successful comeback.

As for the Jets, Harbaugh is my guess. I think they trade a pick to get him and give him all the power (Ryan and Idzik both get canned).

If not Harbaugh, I could see Jon Gruden. He's an egomaniac and would love the NY stage. Plus they'll have a pick in the top two or three so he can choose his QB.

Jon Gruden said he would coach for the Raiders given the chance.

I think he'll want to stay out west where it is warmer

Unless they go on a tear in 2nd half (highly unlikely), then it's near a certainty Rex won't be coaching Jets come next season.

Some possible candidates:

- Rob Ryan: Don't laugh, stranger things have happened and this is the Jets

- Bill Cowher: (my darkhorse favorite) Already in NYC for broadcasting, probably loves the big market spotlight. Think he'll like Jets core of decent players, high draft picks, and cap space

- Darrell Bevell: Not sure why his name always comes up since Seattle is really known for defense, but it does so I'll put him here

- Josh McDaniels: He left Bellichick before, he wants to be a head coach. But would he betray him for a division rival? Never know, these teams have a weird history of coach movements

- Kyle Shanahan: First time in years Browns have an offense. With something to hang his hat on, just a matter of time before "the other" Shanahan gets a shot

- Jim Schwartz: If Bills D ends up Top 3, it's possible. Last year we lost a 1-year DC after he got credit for a big move up the defensive rankings

Nate Hackett