Which Bills player would be the easiest to trade right now?

FireChan

In light of the newest AFC East trade, let's talk trades. What Bills player would be the easiest to move, assuming we got "fair" compensation? No guys on rookie deals, because that's too easy. And keep salary cap concerns in mind; a guy like Mario, while excellent, does have a huge contract.

Personally, I think it'd be Kyle. Guy is almost perfect technically, and doesn't have a huge contract.

In light of the newest AFC East trade, let's talk trades. What Bills player would be the easiest to move, assuming we got "fair" compensation? No guys on rookie deals, because that's too easy. And keep salary cap concerns in mind; a guy like Mario, while excellent, does have a huge contract.

Personally, I think it'd be Kyle. Guy is almost perfect technically, and doesn't have a huge contract.

Kyle, at his age, and having only played for the Bills, is worth far more to the team than the draft pick we would get for him. We wouldn't get "fair" compensation. Other teams would be hesitant to acquire him given his age and the fact that he has never played elsewhere (that is to say that he has always had time to get up to speed in a new defensive system without dealing with other facets of a move).

Hughes would probably be the easiest to move. He has only been good as a Bill, but his contract is expiring (meaning "fair value" is easier to agree upon for both us and the acquiring team) and he has been excellent so far. He would probably net a 4th. I wouldn't trade him, but, if the organization knew that he would be likely be leaving after this year, I could see them making such a deal if they were pessimistic about the rest of the season.

The problem with trades is that they are never for fair value. Say you trade Spiller, my guess is that the Bills would get maybe a 3rd for him. Why bother, the 3rd rounder has less than 50 50 chance being on your team in 3 years. Sign him for reasonable money and figure out how to use him.

I think that the answer is Aaron Williams. He's a great player on a favorable contract with his best years still ahead.

I did have to re read the part about no one on a rookie contract. I have seen Hughes and Spiller suggested and neither would qualify. The easiest player on the team to move is easy and that's Watkins.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The problem with trades is that they are never for fair value. Say you trade Spiller, my guess is that the Bills would get maybe a 3rd for him. Why bother, the 3rd rounder has less than 50 50 chance being on your team in 3 years. Sign him for reasonable money and figure out how to use him.

i don't even think you would get a third for him. the best you could hope for is to trade him for some other team's disappointment and hope you get another hughes.

It's just an intellectual exercise, homie.

I think that the answer is Aaron Williams. He's a great player on a favorable contract with his best years still ahead.

I did have to re read the part about no one on a rookie contract. I have seen Hughes and Spiller suggested and neither would qualify. The easiest player on the team to move is easy and that's Watkins.

Yeah, Watkins would've been too easy.

I was leaning towards AW, that's a good choice. His extension was pretty cheap.

Kyle, at his age, and having only played for the Bills, is worth far more to the team than the draft pick we would get for him. We wouldn't get "fair" compensation. Other teams would be hesitant to acquire him given his age and the fact that he has never played elsewhere (that is to say that he has always had time to get up to speed in a new defensive system without dealing with other facets of a move).

Hughes would probably be the easiest to move. He has only been good as a Bill, but his contract is expiring (meaning "fair value" is easier to agree upon for both us and the acquiring team) and he has been excellent so far. He would probably net a 4th. I wouldn't trade him, but, if the organization knew that he would be likely be leaving after this year, I could see them making such a deal if they were pessimistic about the rest of the season.

I'm just saying what guys would teams eagerly snap up. Don't think of it as a Bills thing. You're overthinking it.

I know it's an exercise, but consider a loaded team with depth traded an injury prone, yes explosive hybrid player who has anger mgmt issues to a team desperate for wins, a coaching a mgmt unit desperate to keep their jobs.

Why trade anyone? We're just in the beginning of creating depth on our team. I would never trade AW, Hughes, M. Williams. The only one someone else would want, we have excellent depth, and he is not producing in this system is Spiller. Forget his draft status. All that matters is his production, and liklihood of future production under this regime.

I'm not saying trade Spiller. What I would do is activate Bryce Brown, and only play Spiller on ST. See if we could mix up BB, AD, and FJ driving up the middle and does our running game improve. I just can't stand the impulsive nature of Spiller dancing too much, not patient enough to see the hole develop, and get caught for a loss. Yes, he's explosive, but a great running game is about getting 4.5-6 yards a carry. spiller's stats often look high because he has three 0 yard plays, and then breaks off a 14 yard run. He can't block to save his life.

So if I have a gun to my head it would be Spiller, and his street cred around the league would likely get us maybe a 3rd but most likely a 4th round pick. BTW- not that I care, but the media will crucify us in the beginning for making this trade.

isnt 5 years enough time to figure out how to use him? At some point the toy is just broken.

isnt 5 years enough time to figure out how to use him? At some point the toy is just broken.

Dont let what your eyes see during the game dictate rational thinking mrags.

Spiller, gilmore, mckelvin, average first round pix!!!

I know it's an exercise, but consider a loaded team with depth traded an injury prone, yes explosive hybrid player who has anger mgmt issues to a team desperate for wins, a coaching a mgmt unit desperate to keep their jobs.

Why trade anyone? We're just in the beginning of creating depth on our team. I would never trade AW, Hughes, M. Williams. The only one someone else would want, we have excellent depth, and he is not producing in this system is Spiller. Forget his draft status. All that matters is his production, and liklihood of future production under this regime.

I'm not saying trade Spiller. What I would do is activate Bryce Brown, and only play Spiller on ST. See if we could mix up BB, AD, and FJ driving up the middle and does our running game improve. I just can't stand the impulsive nature of Spiller dancing too much, not patient enough to see the hole develop, and get caught for a loss. Yes, he's explosive, but a great running game is about getting 4.5-6 yards a carry. spiller's stats often look high because he has three 0 yard plays, and then breaks off a 14 yard run. He can't block to save his life.

So if I have a gun to my head it would be Spiller, and his street cred around the league would likely get us maybe a 3rd but most likely a 4th round pick. BTW- not that I care, but the media will crucify us in the beginning for making this trade.

What are you talking about?

How sad is this topic. The Bills are 3-3, yet fans are seriously considering fire sale. Why? Because this team was intimidated and lost at home against a very average Pats team.

Why trade good players away when you can just fire the head coach and OC and solve the 2 main problems with this team. Maybe promote Henderson or Pepper Johnson. I definitely wouldn't promote Schwartz, IMO he's treading water as far as his performance as our DC.

How sad is this topic. The Bills are 3-3, yet fans are seriously considering fire sale. Why? Because this team was intimidated and lost at home against a very average Pats team.

Why trade good players away when you can just fire the head coach and OC and solve the 2 main problems with this team. Maybe promote Henderson or Pepper Johnson. I definitely wouldn't promote Schwartz, IMO he's treading water as far as his performance as our DC.

This. Aaron is an excellent player on a team friendly contract.

Taking away guys on rookie deals takes away most of the guys who teams would want to trade for. Eliminates Spiller, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, Woods. The easiest guy to trade on the team would be Fred Jackson. For what he means to the franchise and for the compensation they would get I think it'd be a PR disaster.

How do only two people on TBD understand the OP? Thanks.

I think that people are thinking that you are advocating for trading these guys. I didn't take it that way at all. Isn't the point of the post from the outside looking in? IE, if Tampa (or any team) was going to call looking for a Bills player who would they want (excluding players on rookie contracts). That's how I viewed it.

I think Fred Jackson is a player that a LOT of the legit contenders would want. Teams like San Diego, New England, Green Bay, Denver come to mind. I've always thought Fred In New England would be amazing. As much as I despise the Pats, I feel like Fred deserves that kind of success. Still holding out hope that the Bills can get him to the playoffs this year.

I think that people are thinking that you are advocating for trading these guys. I didn't take it that way at all. Isn't the point of the post from the outside looking in? IE, if Tampa (or any team) was going to call looking for a Bills player who would they want (excluding players on rookie contracts). That's how I viewed it.

That's exactly what I meant.

How sad is you interpret a speculative thread after a big trade as sad. Some will post their least favorite player in thread or bash suggestions of their least favorite player because they have a bug up their butt regarding that player but other than that it is just fantasy GM.

Cleveland lost their starting center for the year. Eric Wood for our 1st round pick back.

would hate to see him go but this would be a nice trade, Urbick to center I guess and Whaley thinks lineman are easy to find sure why not.

That Spiller sux for us but might be good someone else and that we can get mid round compensation for him.

:lol: Now Spiller's got five years as a starter.

I wonder what is different between our RB's being 2nd in the league on rushing last year, and 22nd this year? I guess both of our RB's forgot how to run, and it has nothing to do with the shifting of nearly the entirety of our O-line.

I know you have something against Spiller, but I would hope you could at least agree running him up the middle is not utilizing his skill set properly.

That Spiller sux for us but might be good someone else and that we can get mid round compensation for him.

This is absurd. Spiller does not suck for us. Hackett sucks for Spiller.

Edited by What a Tuel

why sign him though, when you can get anyone else. Is shaud williams available, now theres a guy who can hit a hole!

Aw23. Locked up long and cheap and stands out on film (one of schwarzs comments.)

:lol: Now Spiller's got five years as a starter.

I wonder what is different between our RB's being 2nd in the league on rushing last year, and 22nd this year? I guess both of our RB's forgot how to run, and it has nothing to do with the shifting of nearly the entirety of our O-line.

I know you have something against Spiller, but I would hope you could at least agree running him up the middle is not utilizing his skill set properly.

This is absurd. Spiller does not suck for us. Hackett sucks for Spiller.

Spiller is in his 5th year in the NFL. He's alar halfway through it. For the record, this will be his 4th year out of 5 that he will fail to reach 1,000 yards as a RB. A small bench mark for RBs but still a bench mark. He can't even average 62 yards a game. Overall TDs he averages less than 3 a season. What part about that do you really want to defend?

Seriously. Good RBs, hell, good football players are just good. No matter what. You think Jones Drew didn't suffer from a horrible offensive line? You think he didn't suffer from the worst team in football? What about guys like Arian Foster? Does he, did he have an amazing offensive line? Matt Forte? Alfred Morris? Demarco Murray? Chris Johnson?

I honestly want him on another team so that he can do nothing and prove to everyone that he's a joke in this league. I sure don't want him on this team anymore. All he does is cost us games. Can't get a lousy 3-4 yard average to help move the chains. Can't hold on to the ball. Can't make the right decision to stay in bounds or go out of bounds. Can make the right call to bounce it inside or go outside.

You claim that it's because the line sucks and he is being run right up the middle. I can pause almost every single play right after he receives the handoff and show you the mistake he made to get tackled for a loss or no gain. Almost every play. Does that make me a NFL RB? No. But I'm not trying to be one. He is and he is a bad one. Oh, and for the record, even in a piece in the Buffalo News last week he commented on how HE is making the wrong decisions when getting the handoff and needs to do better picking and choosing where he goes with the ball. HE is saying it's in his head. HE is saying he hasn't been good. So you can make all the excuses for him that you want, HE is disagreeing with your excuses.

The guy is just not good. Get over him.

How sad is you interpret a speculative thread after a big trade as sad. Some will post their least favorite player in thread or bash suggestions of their least favorite player because they have a bug up their butt regarding that player but other than that it is just fantasy GM.

No wonder, its a pointless thread otherwise

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Spiller is in his 5th year in the NFL. He's alar halfway through it. For the record, this will be his 4th year out of 5 that he will fail to reach 1,000 yards as a RB. A small bench mark for RBs but still a bench mark. He can't even average 62 yards a game. Overall TDs he averages less than 3 a season. What part about that do you really want to defend?

Seriously. Good RBs, hell, good football players are just good. No matter what. You think Jones Drew didn't suffer from a horrible offensive line? You think he didn't suffer from the worst team in football? What about guys like Arian Foster? Does he, did he have an amazing offensive line? Matt Forte? Alfred Morris? Demarco Murray? Chris Johnson?

I honestly want him on another team so that he can do nothing and prove to everyone that he's a joke in this league. I sure don't want him on this team anymore. All he does is cost us games. Can't get a lousy 3-4 yard average to help move the chains. Can't hold on to the ball. Can't make the right decision to stay in bounds or go out of bounds. Can make the right call to bounce it inside or go outside.

You claim that it's because the line sucks and he is being run right up the middle. I can pause almost every single play right after he receives the handoff and show you the mistake he made to get tackled for a loss or no gain. Almost every play. Does that make me a NFL RB? No. But I'm not trying to be one. He is and he is a bad one. Oh, and for the record, even in a piece in the Buffalo News last week he commented on how HE is making the wrong decisions when getting the handoff and needs to do better picking and choosing where he goes with the ball. HE is saying it's in his head. HE is saying he hasn't been good. So you can make all the excuses for him that you want, HE is disagreeing with your excuses.

The guy is just not good. Get over him.

Fred Jackson has had one 1,000 yard season. (Same as Spiller for whoever is counting). So I hope we can say that measurement should be thrown out, especially on a shared carry team. (but it won't :rolleyes: )

Also he has a 4+ yard average per carry on every single year except 3.8 in his rookie year. He has averaged 62.2 yards a game in 2013, and 77.8 in 2012.

Year 1 CJ Spiller had 74 carries across the whole season, and 107 in year 2. But sure, let's put those seasons on him and complain he didn't average 13.5 yards a carry to make a 1,000 yard season in year 1, and a more manageable 9.34 yards a carry for a 1,000 yard season in year 2.

Year 3 he gets 207 carries and gets 1,244 yards.

So what changed in year 4 and 5? Coaches? Completely replaced. QB? Replaced 4-5 times. Offensive line? 60% changed, and replaced. But no, none of those could possibly impact our run game the least. Not even mentioning the guy was injured in Year 4, but shhh we aren't allowed to use legitimate injuries as legitimate reasoning as to why a player isn't performing as expected. I bet you think he has a glass collarbone now too :lol:

Lastly, you know he doesn't get the goal line carries, so quit it with the TDs.

Oh and I will look forward to your youtube video detailing how Spiller missed all of those gaping holes. Should be easy right? The amount of time you spend bashing him, you could whip one up for all of us naysayers in no time, and shut us up for good.

Edited by What a Tuel