i think EJ's soft.

the only criticism of any note is directed at the need to create another negative thread about EJ.. that's absolutely true.. should have posted this elsewhere. but as far as my opinion on what's going down on that football team, i'm sorry to say, i think i got it right..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the guy has a good work ethic and really wants to be successful but just doesn't seem to have that natural "IT" factor. Not to simplify things but I honestly think when your talking about being an elite QB at the NFL level, the IT factor is essential. Guys like Jimbo, Marino, Elway or Peyton,Luck, Russel Wilson show up with that on Day 1. You can be lacking that without being soft....Trent Edwards was Soft

he's got a ton of great qualities, but his inability to earn a leadership role puts a major dent in his ability to command the offense.. the coaches knew that making him a captain would make matters worse.. have you noticed how his teammates are noting the difference in Orton's ability to control the huddle, while EJ's commenting on improving "my enunciation in the huddle"?

enunciation?

as in.. speak up? be heard? take control?

c'mon guys!

i think the team has seen it, and the coaches were probably hoping he'd toughen up and take control.. as much as i was on board with how they were going to build our franchise QB - i gotta give props to everyone who knew that he should have competed for the starting job. he got it by default, and try as he could, he just wasn't up to it.. but that's his problem.. Marrone took control. he had to.. the team was not going to commit to any kind of fierce effort if they thought any one of them was getting a free pass.. it's just the way it broke.. but give Marrone credit.. this should light a fire under everyone's ass.. including EJ

btw -i think his comment regarding "this might toughen him up" , or something like that, spoke directly to the problem.

So much for fandom. I was listening to Denver radio Tuesday and they were arguing about Peyton Manning not being tough. Neither broadcaster thought he was soft but a couple of fans thought he was. Even winning doesn't cure all in Denver these days.

So much for fandom. I was listening to Denver radio Tuesday and they were arguing about Peyton Manning not being tough. Neither broadcaster thought he was soft but a couple of fans thought he was. Even winning doesn't cure all in Denver these days.

imo, every fan base, with very few exceptions, complains about their QB. This year that includes Brady and Brees.

The thing about EJ is that he's too afraid to mess up. And that in turn, causes him to mess up. Look at his throwing form from the Texans game. It's so timid. I just don't think he has it in him. I hope to God I'm wrong and I'm still pulling for the guy as hard as anyone else, but from the looks of it he doesn't have the IT factor.

i think the team has seen it, and the coaches were probably hoping he'd toughen up and take control.. as much as i was on board with how they were going to build our franchise QB - i gotta give props to everyone who knew that he should have competed for the starting job. he got it by default, and try as he could, he just wasn't up to it.. but that's his problem.. Marrone took control. he had to.. the team was not going to commit to any kind of fierce effort if they thought any one of them was getting a free pass.. it's just the way it broke.. but give Marrone credit.. this should light a fire under everyone's ass.. including EJ

btw -i think his comment regarding "this might toughen him up" , or something like that, spoke directly to the problem.

EJ has simply been inaccurate. That is the bottomline. Marrone could see the frustrations building in his WRs. The coach feels that for his dink and dunk offense, may be he simply needs a true game manager who will successfully make those short passes and open up the running game. EJ did not do that.

Say that to his face. Then you'll have my attention.

I think the OP should say that to EJ's face and see what happens. And then after the OP gets out of the hospital he should line up behind Pears with Watt on the other side. I will supply the laundary detergent for the OP's underwear after he pisses himself.

Ahh that felt good...

We should remember this for the next time either of you criticize any player because odds are you'd **** your pants before you even got the words out. This is a sad, sorry, pathetic criticism of OP who was simply sharing his opinion. Sounds like projection to me.

Given that Orton has won a starting role for several different organizations and then loss the job de to injuries or his .500 W?L production over his extended career not being good enough my guess is that this board will have EJ as a starter to kick around again.

EJ was from the moment he was drafted a PROJECT. His MO in college was that he was a good guy and physically gifted. He showed the judgment and talent to stop from getting sacked and not throw a lot of INTs, but the simple fact was he was inconsistent and was helped a lot by FSU being head and shoulders better than most opponents.

I think the fact that many were disappointed he did not lead this team to great success as a rookie (or even with the starts he had amassed as a 2nd year pro says more about the lack of good football judgment of many fans as it says about his failings as a player.

Whaley and Merrone pretty clearly saw him as a PROJECT and their plan appeared to be to reinforce the very good RBs we have, to take a shot at getting a bunch of good talents to build an OL and get dynamic receivers capable of allowing the team to get Ws even with a mere PROJECT QB.

My GUESS is that the benching of EJ makes him now a failed project, but still he is a year+ away from anyone labeling him a bust. My GUESS is that Merrone/Whaley having seen the frustrating inconsistency of EJ (as seen in his 2-0 start and 0-2 finish) have decided that they want to give the well-regarded but oft injured or failed QB a shot. However, my GUESS would be that it is pretty stupid to give up on EJ at this early point in his career without taking a good shot at toughening him up by benching him and working with him in practice as much as trying to win with Orton allows.

he's got a ton of great qualities, but his inability to earn a leadership role puts a major dent in his ability to command the offense.. the coaches knew that making him a captain would make matters worse.. have you noticed how his teammates are noting the difference in Orton's ability to control the huddle, while EJ's commenting on improving "my enunciation in the huddle"?

enunciation?

as in.. speak up? be heard? take control?

c'mon guys!

Leadership, or attempts at it, rings false when you don't have the accomplishments to back it up. EJ would have a lot more apparent leadership ability if he were making his reads and throwing the ball accurately. He can't take control of anything if he can't make the plays he needs to, and if he could make those plays, he would be seen as a leader.

From what I have seen, EJ has a lot of Jim "Chrissy" Everett in him. Many times on 3rd down, EJ has a chance at making a 1st down, but instead steps out of bounds and avoids contact. He got hit a lot against the Texans, and appeared to me to be rattled. Remember Jim Kelly throwing blocks on reverses and tackling whomever intercepted him? I remember him breaking a guys leg tackling them. EJ has yet to show me 1% of Jim Kelly's toughness

Prove me wrong EJ. I am calling you out, but rooting for you all the while

I predict Orton passes for 300 yards and completes passes downfield to WR's, and not checking down every play

as evidenced by his play last year, EJ's natural style is to extend plays with his feet all the way to the point where he was taking some unnecessary hits which resulted in injury. that's not playing soft.

EJ was COACHED to play soft this year(take less hits by getting out of bounds).

EJ regrets playing that way and has publicly stated the next time he gets a chance to start, he will let it loose.

calling EJ soft because he was following orders is unfair criticism.

EJ needs to read defenses faster and improve accuracy. thats why he lost his starting job.

I don't know if EJ is soft. But football is a physical game. And EJ runs like he doesn't want any part of being hit. And that is pathetic for a man that is 6'5 240 pounds. He has not taken on one single defender on any scramble in the four games we have played. His teammates see this. They get pounded, and he just looks to get out of bounds. That is not a winner. Thats a coward. Combine that w his horrible accuracy, zero feel for the QB position, and zero intensity on the field, and you have one hell of QB-NOT!! If Orton plays reasonably well and stays healthy, we have seen the last of EJ leading the Bills. (We can only hope)

Where did you see me post that I was upset about EJ being benched? You come on! Mr WEO's wild and woolly world of fantasy strikes yet AGAIN! :lol:

Sorry man! I blew that one. I must have had dyslexia that day--I misread your tag as CBiscuit.

Must be the C and the B and the numbers!