Best subs

YoloinOhio

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but then you wouldn't be hungry for leftovers....chicken/egg kind of thing

I have the Wegman's sub cut into thirds, and leave a third for the next day. Experience has shown that eating the whole sub in one sitting gives me digestive distress the next day.

Anybody else hear the term "royal"... My favorite sub!

I love Royals. Definitely one of my favorite sub/sandwich, right up there with a Reuben.

A Royal is a NE thing, if not just a WNY thing.

Down here in the SE, finding a place that will serve Italian sausage is pretty hard to find. Capicola? Almost impossible.

I love Royals. Definitely one of my favorite sub/sandwich, right up there with a Reuben.

A Royal is a NE thing, if not just a WNY thing.

Down here in the SE, finding a place that will serve Italian sausage is pretty hard to find. Capicola? Almost impossible.

If you like a Rueban... You may like a Cuban. Have you ever had one? Totally. Awesome! FWIW... First one I ever had was in South Bend, Indiana... LoL... The guy making them was from FLA...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_sandwich

Cuban bread, ham, roasted pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, mustard, sometimes salami

Variations: Tampa (w/ salami) , South Florida (w/o salami)

love Royals.

Someone mentioned something earlier that I completely forgot. 2 best subs on the planet...

Violas- Double Steak and a cheese

Costanzos- Steak and Cheese

If you haven't had either if your life... Your missing out on something really special.

They really don't get any better. John and Marys? Wegmans? Puhleeze.

Violas is great, especially for anyone who went to LaSalle..but without a doubt not a food to eat whilst driving

what the hell are you talking about. A sub that good you've got to take your time and caress first. Who said anything about driving. Sitting down and enjoying is a must at Violas.

And who the hell drives whole eating any kind of sub?

what the hell are you talking about. A sub that good you've got to take your time and caress first. Who said anything about driving. Sitting down and enjoying is a must at Violas.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My point being more the things are wonderful...but a just a tad greasy and oily...but oh so friggen good!

In Los Angeles, sadly, there's only one option if you're take your subs seriously. A place called Bay Cities. As close to a New York deli as you can find out here.

The Godmother at Bay Cities is pretty damn good. I still prefer the Godfather at my local joint, but now I order it with "the works" a la Bay Cities.

Violas is great, especially for anyone who went to LaSalle..but without a doubt not a food to eat whilst driving

I prefer the Viola's on Elmwood to the one on Military. Maybe because they always took good care of me, and put extra steak on my subs. But the LaSalle location is pretty good, and as you note, very convenient to the high school in the old days.

I can't deny I've eaten my share of Viola's while driving. But I usually get mine plain (Meat. Cheese. Bun.) However my favorite way to eat these subs is to take them immediately to the closest local bar. You might be surprised how many old guys decide to go get themselves one after seeing me chow down---or maybe you wouldn't be surprised at all.

DiBella's in Dublin is the only place in the area that I go, great bread.

I will need to try it... desperate for anything that resembles a real sub around here!

which Nino's? there uses to be a Nino's Pizza on Culver by Merchants YUM YUM good.

Can I go with Wegmans from 10 - 15 years ago? Back when you would get a WHOLE loaf of Italian bread for less than $10 for a whole sub.

Firehouse Subs

In Hamburg

Viola's in the Falls has the 2nd best Steak and Cheese subs on the planet. The first? Mariposa's on Military Road in the Falls. Mrs. Mariposa is about 90 years old and still works the grill. They don't have double steak like Viola's because they give you double on every sub.

Try it the next time you're in the Falls, it will change your life.