Best subs

YoloinOhio

I remember having jreck subs in college at Oswego. Sucked! But when you have no $, ya gotta eat cheap.

I actually like Jrecks. Whole sub for $5 on Saturdays. Sometimes it depends on the person making the sub. But when I want some leftover for the next day I get Wegmans Danny's Favorite.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the unfortunate experience of visiting a Subway last week. Ohio subs are weak sauce. I miss real subs as much as I miss real pizza.

Favorite sub in WNY?

1. Wegmans

2. Pino's

3. Nino's

DiBella's in Dublin is the only place in the area that I go, great bread.

DiBella's is very average, IMO. The bread is good, but not really a fan of any of their subs. Their cheese steak is especially weak.

Not sure they are around anymore, but growing up, Arivederci's in the village of Fairport was our staple. Great Italian subs.

I, my wife and my two daughters say :nana: to you

My wife says the same thing to (about subs and other things)--she's a bigger fan than me. Kinda curious what you get there? Anytime I go, I get the chicken philly on sesame-- like I said, decent, but not going to be in my top-5 list or anything.

Realize that I'm in Columbus and I haven't found a local joint that I like.

At DiBella's I always get the godfather, wifey too. The girls split a chicken Caesar sub and a cheesesteak. The bread is very good and the ingredients also good...just wish they were more liberal with the meat.

Anyone try this "penn station"? For a chain, the subs aren't bad.

I like them. They have a couple out here across the line in Indiana. Not bad, a bit pricey and smaller... BUT the smaller portion is probably better for my waste line, etc.. LoL ;-) Yet, that's like every place cutting their portions down.

Now... The debate rages... What should they really be called? Hoagies, grinders, heros, subs... Etc...

Now in WNY:

Roz's (S.Cheektowaga off of French) has the best "royal sub"... Theirs is called a "Big Roz." Heart attack on a roll but to die for!

People never heard of a royal sub and always give me an inquisitive look. It is Italian sausage (patty form), ham and cappicola... Then lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, oil, etc...

Anybody else hear the term "royal"... My favorite sub!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I like them. They have a couple out here across the line in Indiana. Not bad, a bit pricey and smaller... BUT the smaller portion is probably better for my waste line, etc.. LoL ;-) Yet, that's like every place cutting their portions down.

Now... The debate rages... What should they really be called? Hoagies, grinders, heros, subs... Etc...

Now in WNY:

Roz's (S.Cheektowaga off of French) has the best "royal sub"... Theirs is called a "Big Roz." Heart attack on a roll but to die for!

People never heard of a royal sub and always give me an inquisitive look. It is Italian sausage (patty form), ham and cappicola... Then lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo, oil, etc...

Anybody else hear the term "royal"... My favorite sub!

love Royals.

Someone mentioned something earlier that I completely forgot. 2 best subs on the planet...

Violas- Double Steak and a cheese

Costanzos- Steak and Cheese

If you haven't had either if your life... Your missing out on something really special.

love Royals.

Someone mentioned something earlier that I completely forgot. 2 best subs on the planet...

Violas- Double Steak and a cheese

Costanzos- Steak and Cheese

If you haven't had either if your life... Your missing out on something really special.

Is the term "royal" mainly an east thing. JR mentioned Penn Station (East Coast Subs) and they don't even have a classic royal on their menu. Yet, they will make one to order.

Very specific. Gotta at least have capicola w/the sausage patty. Not really fancy as the name indicates, but the sausage in patty form. I get the same looks out here when I request vinegar for my french fries! LoL...

Must be a WNY thing?

Out here, the sandwich of choice around Chicago is the "Italian beef." Dry, wet, or dipped. I usually get the "combo." Combo is an Italian beef sandwich (sub form) w/also a link of Italian sausage.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I had the unfortunate experience of visiting a Subway last week. Ohio subs are weak sauce. I miss real subs as much as I miss real pizza.

Favorite sub in WNY?

1. Wegmans

2. Pino's

3. Nino's

which Nino's? there uses to be a Nino's Pizza on Culver by Merchants YUM YUM good.

Can I go with Wegmans from 10 - 15 years ago? Back when you would get a WHOLE loaf of Italian bread for less than $10 for a whole sub.

Firehouse Subs

which Nino's? there uses to be a Nino's Pizza on Culver by Merchants YUM YUM good.

Can I go with Wegmans from 10 - 15 years ago? Back when you would get a WHOLE loaf of Italian bread for less than $10 for a whole sub.

Firehouse Subs

There still is a Nino's pizzeria on Culver. Its still good but they don't make subs.

Anyone try this "penn station"? For a chain, the subs aren't bad.

Dude, these are the friggen best subs. I am addicted to their grilled italian. Now, i am one whoi likes a "hot " sub.

Love the meat sliced as you order, the bread baked there, the freshness of the veggies, and the grilling process is just awesome. Yep, it takes about 5 minutes to get your sub, but ohhh so freaking good!

I am not a big fries guy...but have had thise a couple of times and they are good as well.

Hate Jimmy Johns, hate Subway. hate Quiznos....PennStation East Coast Subs all the way!!!!

I miss real subs as much as I miss real pizza.

So you grew up on NYC pizza? Cause to me that is real pizza, not the stuff from WNY :lol: