Doug Whaley deserves a ton fo credit....in particular for S. Henderson

I like the fact that we're back to having dedicated special teams guys. Sure, I won't be thrilled if there's an injury and we have Chris Hogan playing downs at WR but I'm still happier to have him than TJ Graham overall.

Same goes for Boobie Dixon. Bryce Brown is the more promising rusher, but Dixon provides so much in the oft-forgotten third phase.

i agree, but with CJ and Freddy healthy, Dixon is better suited to as RB3 and a change of pace back and his superb special teams play.

Can't agree with that at all. Kiko is a starter as soon as he's back to full health. He's a perfect WLB in the Schwartz scheme. I believe Brown would be the starting MLB if the Bills don't sign Spikes to an extension.

^^^ this.. but i do hope they do re-sign Spikes. You can never have too many good LB's. I'd love to have Kiko, Spikes, Brown and Bradham and have Bradham and Brown battle for starting gig. Brown would still see time on field with sub packages which are so common nowadays. Rivers is the guy who i could see having trouble seeing field or even making team next yr if Spikes is re-signed. He's a leader, and a winner and has that nasty streak a MLB needs

Brown has played 100% of snaps through two weeks. Spikes got 15 snaps yesterday. I love Spikes but I don't see a big offer in his future.

i think that's due to us getting them in passing situations quickly on most of the possessions. We sub out for the nickel and Spikes takes a seat. If he's on the sidelines it's a good sign that the defense is dictating the game.

Because he is one dimensional, maybe you're right about not getting the huge money contract, but he's a defensive captain and a team leader with a very important role. They'll do what it takes to keep him around.

He hit on Seantrel but whiffed on Cyrus.

Great job on Kiko, Woody & Sammy thru draft.

Great job on Mike Williams, Spikes & Boobie thru FA.

IF EJ PANS OUT.......A+++

you forgot #20 in FA

I say the same about Kiko...Getting him back next year will be like drafting an impact player in the first round...

Yup, i've been saying that same thing. "With their 1st pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select Kiko Alonso". It just makes me feel better about that whole (no 1st rd pick) situation!

Obviously, landing a starter like Henderson in Rd 7 is a major coup, but there was not a lot of risk associated with that pick. What Whaley really deserves credit for, at least to this point, is taking the huge risk that was the Watkins trade. Watkins is looking like he will be a beast for many years to come and the pick the Browns will be getting in April is worth less every week. Do you think there are an awful lot of Browns fans who would rather have Watkins than a cornerback and a late-first next year? Of course, this could all change, but Whaley is looking very good right now.

Edited by mannc

I've said it before, Doug Whaley is our best shot at returning to glory. Many wanted to crap on him for the Byrd situation, however that's why he gets paid to put together a team an they don't.

He's building a winner here, and he's doing it the right way. Good drafts and mixing in just the right free agents.

We're on our way back to the top :thumbsup:

He gave up that sack to WIllie Young of the Bears and I was concerned going into yesterdays game against Cameron Wake......

Then you never heard Wake's name the whole game

Then Willie Young comes out and destroys the RT he is playing against last night on Sunday Night Football

Doug Whaley needs to take a bow on this one.......he might have gotten the BEST OFFENSIVE TACKLE IN THE DRAFT with a 7th round pick.......

That is some fine GM work there

Agreed, he was a great late round pickup. He would have been a first rounder if it weren't for his off field issues as had been previously discussed by Whaley. The coaches , and Henderson also deserve credit for his growth as a player, and dedication to become a better person.

Edited by DirtDart

Agreed, but I also think the BILLS approach has had something to do with as well. Not just the coaching, but also the approach the FO took with him when they told him, this is probably your last chance to get it right and then surrounding him with good men and professionals to help him come along and develop not only his game, but his maturity....sometimes, for someone struggling with personal issues a change in scenery is a big help and can advance their personal change all the more...all conjecture at this point, and still a long season to go and hopefully many, many more successful seasons for Henderson with the BILLS, but early signs look promising....

For this guy more than most, Buffalo is the right place to be. Temptations are limited to Applebees as we all know. If he was in Miami or NY or Atlanta, maybe would be more difficult for him to remain focused.

According to Beoheim, that is how he always gets a great NYC recruiting class - he tells the mothers there is nothing in Syracuse but study and basketball for their sons. Same principal.

For this guy more than most, Buffalo is the right place to be. Temptations are limited to Applebees as we all know. If he was in Miami or NY or Atlanta, maybe would be more difficult for him to remain focused.

According to Beoheim, that is how he always gets a great NYC recruiting class - he tells the mothers there is nothing in Syracuse but study and basketball for their sons. Same principal.

Whatever works!! LOL, but I'm sure having guys like Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams who know what it means to be in the NFL and fly under the radar also greatly helps...good guys, good leaders, hard workers, and productive on Sundays.

Getting a starting O tackle with swing capability in the 7th round?

Excuse me but that's totally ridiculous.

I hope they change the reefer rules soon just in case.

Yes, it's next to impossible.

As much as Bills Fans have suffered, we have seen the team get Jason Peters for nothing, and now Henderson in round 7. And keep in mind, if any GM knew how well Cordy Glenn would play he would have been a top 5 draft selection. We lucked out there too, big time.

EJ is still learning, but he really has a ton of tools. Make no mistake, life for him would be a lot worse without these 2 monster OTs.

But as you seem to be, I too am nervous. I cannot imagine just how crazy GMs thought Henderson was for him to last until round 7. I was keying on him for much of the game and the kid is VERY, VERY good.

I can't wait to watch Henderson and DJ Fluker on Sunday. Fluker is a flat out monster, SO good that he was drafted at #11 to play RT specifically. It will be lots of fun to compare the two.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

I think the bills not signing Spikes is becoming less and less likely.......

Team captain.....is huge on this defense.......

Brown will have to remain the understudy for now

I think spikes played about 15 snaps last sunday, he's looking like the odd man out at this point. At least against pass first teams (phins abandoned the run once they fell behind and lost moreno)

For Henderson specifically it was less about recognizing his talent (which every team was aware of) and more about willingness to take a risk on him due to off the field concerns (if you consider a flyer on a 7th rounder a big risk)

We'll see if he can stay off the bad stuff. Hope someone's with him ( a lot )

From the preseason we all saw that Kounjio and Richardson need technique work. Maybe they won't pan out in the long run, but it a welcome change to see Buffalo go for some big guys up front. These two can be better judged next year...

let's do a quick rundown on whaley's offseason moves this week.

-byrd was part of a saints defense that has looked god awful.

-corey graham had a beast of a day for the second week in a row.

-dixon had a blocked punt

-spikes helped shut down forte last week, and i believe he helped shut down miller fter moreno went out.

-his first pick the one people, myself included, said he traded too much for had over 100 yards and a touchdown

-preston brown had 12 tackles

-randall johnson recovered the blocked punt

-henderson, a 7th round pick rookie, outplayed a probowler

-and my favorite, hughes was a constant presence and had a sack, while the man whaley traded him for couldn't crack the battered miami staring roster and is only noted for whiffing on cj's return.

so far, well done whaley

The Byrd loss has been a huge topic for us, yet watching play against the Browns, a big weakness in his game showed a number of times. He lacks speed and with him playing Kelso deep it only makes him an average player who is paid megabucks needlessly. I like his game, but he may be more a player at Strong Safety....

Seantrel was the Offensive Player of the Year in high school, and was the top recruit that year. He clearly has the talent, but he had some issues. He appears to have overcome those issues.

With those issues being so close I'd venture that he may not have overcome them as much as he is working on them.