Fred speaks out against practices vs Steelers

FluffHead

Joint practices vs. scrimmages, not the same thing. Probably not going to allow much hitting except maybe line drills. It would be nice for EJ and the offense to get many more reps against a defense that is not so familiar to them. I think Fred is overstating it bit by presenting them as 3 games in 4 days but he is probably speaking up for the sentiment in their locker room.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the benefit of a scrimmage (or even a joint practice) is that as a coach, you probably get to pick the brains of the coaches on the other team, about your own players. I'd think this would be useful. I'm just assuming that it occurs but I'd be interested to know for sure.

For years we had joint practices with the Browns in an era when the CBA didn't prevent pads, hitting, or more than four days of consecutive practice. Suck it up, Fred. These joint practices will be tea and biscuit time compared to the past.

GO BILLS!!!

Joint practices vs. scrimmages, not the same thing. Probably not going to allow much hitting except maybe line drills. It would be nice for EJ and the offense to get many more reps against a defense that is not so familiar to them. I think Fred is overstating it bit by presenting them as 3 games in 4 days but he is probably speaking up for the sentiment in their locker room.

From a player’s perspective they probably are more like games. Think about it.

A player is going up against another team’s player who he is not used to playing against. He knows that the guys on the other team are trying to impress their coaches. That means there is a higher risk of injury and higher propensity for dirty play. Plus, you are out there trying not to embarrass yourself or lose your starting position. So you have to play with even more effort than you might give in practice.

I think these sorts of things are good for the team as a whole, especially young players - but bad for veteran players. That is why I think FJ is a little miffed. He probably feels like he is going to beat the hell out of his body a couple more times than is probably necessary in a preseason environment. Other veterans probably feel the same way if you ask them.

Edited by PolishDave

I think I try to keep an open mind, most days, and from my perspective I give people a wide range of latitude when discussing various opinions, ideas, philosophies, etc...but you do seem to be on a mission RE: Marrone...and I'm not sure I understand why? Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their thoughts, but most times I do my best to understand someone's differing perspective from mine, if only to serve as a good way to question my own beliefs / opinions / thoughts, so please, without sarcasm, or incredulity provide me with your reasoning, if you don't mind, because I really am interested to find out how Marrone has irked you?

As for the SJ reference, I don't want to begin a diatribe or a debate, so I will simply say, count me in the category of being happy he's gone, wish him well in San Fran, and even happier DW has found ways to put even better talent at WR thus far while yet to be determined....

Greggo Marrone just seems to be one of those people you meet that expects high standards from others, and talks the talk, but when it comes down to it, he does not walk the walk or have the ability to be self critical. I think he has more integrity than Gregg Williams and would not do the dirty stuff that Williams did, but the similarity is that anyone who questions him immediately is on the outs.

Meanwhile complete ineptitude, as demonstrated over multiple years by our ST coach, is acceptable as long as you are a Greggo Marrone loyalist. Think about the fact that we have a ton of talent on O and our OC has yet to face the necessity of shaving in the morning because he hasn't hit puberty. Why was he hired? For his independent thinking? Why was Hilliard let go? Stevie? This can't end well unless Greggo Marrone changes his stripes. I think he is smart enough to be a good head coach but the thin skin stuff has to stop and I doubt it will. I hope I'm wrong because starting over is often tough but so far on a scale of 1 to 10 this guy rates Boob.

Yes, we get it, You think Marrone is inept and like Gregg Williams. Very funny. Ha Ha.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Former performer, former thinker for sure.

Greggo Marrone just seems to be one of those people you meet that expects high standards from others, and talks the talk, but when it comes down to it, he does not walk the walk or have the ability to be self critical. I think he has more integrity than Gregg Williams and would not do the dirty stuff that Williams did, but the similarity is that anyone who questions him immediately is on the outs.

Meanwhile complete ineptitude, as demonstrated over multiple years by our ST coach, is acceptable as long as you are a Greggo Marrone loyalist. Think about the fact that we have a ton of talent on O and our OC has yet to face the necessity of shaving in the morning because he hasn't hit puberty. Why was he hired? For his independent thinking? Why was Hilliard let go? Stevie? This can't end well unless Greggo Marrone changes his stripes. I think he is smart enough to be a good head coach but the thin skin stuff has to stop and I doubt it will. I hope I'm wrong because starting over is often tough but so far on a scale of 1 to 10 this guy rates Boob.

While I respectfully disagree with both your premise and your conclusion, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond in a healthy manner. Thank you. And regardless of all our differences on this board, one single thread unites us all: GO F*KING WIN BUFFALO!!!

Fred will be a great part of the "O" as a reciever and run. He just wants to save it for the real games. These pratices are puff compared to the real games. Lines hit hard and the 2nd and 3rd string guys want to impress. First string guys sit. Its practice. No TV time outs and Bud light moments.

For years we had joint practices with the Browns in an era when the CBA didn't prevent pads, hitting, or more than four days of consecutive practice. Suck it up, Fred. These joint practices will be tea and biscuit time compared to the past.

GO BILLS!!!

In retrospect though, since Fred J. wasn't around for the past, he doesn't have the past to compare to today's NFL. therefore as stated before, he is more than likely speaking the general sentiment of the locker room. In turn, setting a good example as a leader.

FJ has earned the right to B word a little. He is a game day player. He plays hurt and goes hard always in games.

It also seems like Marrone is harder on everybody this year and wants players to step up. If this leads to W's great. If not Marrone will join the growing trash heap of failed coaches in Buffalo.

That's why FJ should move down the depth chart. Keep him healthy for use later in season

He sounded very cranky. Maybe there's more to his mood, maybe not.

The full article kind of set the mood:

"The Buffalo Bills returned to the field on Sunday afternoon to one of the muggiest weather days once camp started in July.

Some of the players were a bit feisty as well, leading to some raised voices and some heightened interactions."

After a cold beer and a shower, he might have been in a better mood to comment.

Just sayin.... :beer:

Crayonz 4merper4mer is a bit sensitive about authority figures especially when he sees inequities. I also think he owns several #13 JOHNSON jerseys. :ph34r:

While he may be taking a bit far as a conclusion, I'm not sure it's an unfair question....

his comments make think about tasker's interview with Mike Schopp a couple weeks ago. How many "leaders" do we really have who will not tolerate mediocrity? Fred has always been above reproach, but maybe he's thinking a bit selfishly righ now. For years this team has looked like it has needed a great big plate of harden-the-f***-up for breakfast and to me this is a great way to serve it up.

I agree with this.

But beyond just wratcheting up the competition aspect there really isn't much to gain by the Bills offense and defense running the same plays against each other every day for a month. Except for comfort and familiarity.

Which I agree with you is NOT what they need or deserve at this point.

his comments make think about tasker's interview with Mike Schopp a couple weeks ago. How many "leaders" do we really have who will not tolerate mediocrity? Fred has always been above reproach, but maybe he's thinking a bit selfishly righ now. For years this team has looked like it has needed a great big plate of harden-the-f***-up for breakfast and to me this is a great way to serve it up.

I don't see what the problem is. He was asked a question and answered honestly. If I was in his place, I wouldn't look forward to three games in four days either.