Fred speaks out against practices vs Steelers

FluffHead

I take no issue with it, mainly b/c it IS FJax and he has been the consummate professional since arriving in Buffalo and otherwise plays hurt without complaints or excuses and produces on the field, on Game Day...so, he's a bit miffed at the tight schedule between games, practices, scrimmages, and another game...oh well, we don't all love our job every day, or for some, any day and we do it because it needs to get done...if FJax has this particular mind-set for the week, I don't give it a second thought...it sucks, but needs to get done and he'll do it...and next week, everyone's farting rainbows and sailing on liquid gold

FJ better watch it because his words probably pierced the tin skin of the coach. Surely if we trade a guy for wearing a funny t-shirts, actually speaking words against the almighty hirer of Yesman Crossman will land him in trouble.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FJ better watch it because his words probably pierced the tin skin of the coach. Surely if we trade a guy for wearing a funny t-shirts, actually speaking words against the almighty hirer of Yesman Crossman will land him in trouble.

He wasn't traded for wearing funny t-shirts. Carry on.

He wasn't traded for wearing funny t-shirts. Carry on.

Not literally maybe. I was just using a Youknowprism. The point is that Greggo Marrone is incapable of handling anything that dings up his ego and his ego is very dingable. That is why Stevie got traded because what if he wore a funny t-shirt again or tweeted that he would miss his fired for no good reason receivers coach? Greggo Marrone is plenty tolerant of losing games due to poor coaching or playing as long as the coach/player never question him. Fred has now questioned him. Watch out Fred. Hang on for one more year if you can. Most new coaches will easily see your value to the team and you will be here when a winner is built.

I think I try to keep an open mind, most days, and from my perspective I give people a wide range of latitude when discussing various opinions, ideas, philosophies, etc...but you do seem to be on a mission RE: Marrone...and I'm not sure I understand why? Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their thoughts, but most times I do my best to understand someone's differing perspective from mine, if only to serve as a good way to question my own beliefs / opinions / thoughts, so please, without sarcasm, or incredulity provide me with your reasoning, if you don't mind, because I really am interested to find out how Marrone has irked you?

As for the SJ reference, I don't want to begin a diatribe or a debate, so I will simply say, count me in the category of being happy he's gone, wish him well in San Fran, and even happier DW has found ways to put even better talent at WR thus far while yet to be determined....

I think some sarcasm meters were off when reading your post.

I have no problem with a guy like Fred speaking up and I think he has a point, especially during a preseason with 5 games.

Thanks for getting it. Must be a foggy morning in Western New York.

Fred probably won't see much action in the scrimmage anyway. It's not like the coaches need to see if he can play. Maybe travel is getting to him and he was just grousing.

Edited by Nanker

Frankly, I think. Fred Ex was in a foul mood because he didn't get into the end zone and during practice Boobie Dixon was getting first team short yardage and endzone work ahead of Fred. He also has a temper and anyone with the drive that he has and has displayed is not always the easy going guy he normally portrays. That's not at all a knock on him, he's one of my favorite Bills of all time. But he has gotten pissed before, and he plays angry.

Hackett and Marrone have a tough job ahead of them deciding how to distribute the carries. CJ has been running with the ones, he's the starter. I expect Fred to defy odds and play tremendous again, although perhaps not as spectacular. Dixon is probably a better short yardage runner than Fred is and he probably should get the one-two yard snaps.

Frankly, I think. Fred Ex was in a foul mood because he didn't get into the end zone and during practice Boobie Dixon was getting first team short yardage and endzone work ahead of Fred. He also has a temper and anyone with the drive that he has and has displayed is not always the easy going guy he normally portrays. That's not at all a knock on him, he's one of my favorite Bills of all time. But he has gotten pissed before, and he plays angry.

Hackett and Marrone have a tough job ahead of them deciding how to distribute the carries. CJ has been running with the ones, he's the starter. I expect Fred to defy odds and play tremendous again, although perhaps not as spectacular. Dixon is probably a better short yardage runner than Fred is and he probably should get the one-two yard snaps.

I agree with all of this.

Not literally maybe. I was just using a Youknowprism. The point is that Greggo Marrone is incapable of handling anything that dings up his ego and his ego is very dingable. That is why Stevie got traded because what if he wore a funny t-shirt again or tweeted that he would miss his fired for no good reason receivers coach? Greggo Marrone is plenty tolerant of losing games due to poor coaching or playing as long as the coach/player never question him. Fred has now questioned him. Watch out Fred. Hang on for one more year if you can. Most new coaches will easily see your value to the team and you will be here when a winner is built.

No, it isn't.

Uncharacteristic of Fred to be vocal and critical of the team heading to Latrobe this week. Shouldn't the captain set a better tone for these practices? From Joe B's writeup, asked if he's looking forward to this week's joint practices:

"No not at all, its just going to be two days of games. Its going to be a game on Wednesday and a game on Thursday then on Friday we get a day off and then a game on Saturday, but it is what it is, weve got to do that and get through it and take every possible advantage of it and get better."

This quote came after saying having to practice the last two days was not ideal. Somebody call the waaaambulance!

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/9423614.php?contentType=31&contentId=2416&pid=420096

Um .. i think he might be saying that they're losing 2 real practices to play these scrimmages.

Um questioning Fred..... saying he should be the 4th rb...... I have seen this every year he has been a Bill, I don't take any of this seriously, FJ is still the heart and soul of the team and for one damn good reason. He is the best back we have until proven that he isn't and the fact that he is older, sure it might slow him a bit but it may not, hasn't seemed to be an issue yet. Wait til the season and let's see first. So far as the scrimmages, like I said upthread, I kind of agree. Not really sure it is a great thing, just another thing in too long of a preseason (which may or may not be a good thing for this team, also to be seen).

Normally I would agree with Freddie, but considering how bad the Bills have been over the past 14 years, I disagree with him on his one. Once Jauron was hired, he stopped the scrimmages against other teams, which I thought was a very stupid move. IMO, having practices against another team makes you more prepared for the season. Since Jauron stopped the Bills practices against other teams, the highest amount of wins the Bills had since was 7 in one season, otherwise the Bills have mostly won 6 games in a season. Even the great teams have scrimmages against other teams. The Patriots scrimmaged against the Redskins last week before they played against each other over the weekend.

Overall, I'm glad to see Marrone bringing back the scrimmages, as this will not only help EJ Manuel and the young players on the team get better prepared for the season, but will help the team as whole to be ready.

Marrone is a really tough coach... he is a taskmaster type, not at all an easy going type like the past few guys

He will be on you day in and day out, and that can wear on guys, especially if they don't start winning.

You see this from some former college coaches. Harbaugh is similar but when you win, it is easier to take.

his comments make think about tasker's interview with Mike Schopp a couple weeks ago. How many "leaders" do we really have who will not tolerate mediocrity? Fred has always been above reproach, but maybe he's thinking a bit selfishly righ now. For years this team has looked like it has needed a great big plate of harden-the-f***-up for breakfast and to me this is a great way to serve it up.

Or maybe be just spoke his mind, and voiced his opinion on this...

I don't like the fact that our team is playing another team that doesn't care about inflicting injuries...

Marrone is a really tough coach... he is a taskmaster type, not at all an easy going type like the past few guys

He will be on you day in and day out, and that can wear on guys, especially if they don't start winning.

And fair enough, and I certainly understand a player's reluctance to accept such a style. However, given the plight of mediocrity this team seems to be stuck in, I can't discount Marrone's attempt at making some real changes, which often begin with attitude and perspective...so, Marrone is saying that the BILLS need to be a winning team and you're going to work your a*s off until they are...not original, but it frequently works...if it doesn't, it won't be for lack of effort....Also, and not that you were suggesting this but: if Marrone came in and ran Camp Cupcake, there would more than a few torches and pitchforks being thrown around on this board, or should I say more than usual....

wow. Strait from A to Q huh?

I love conclusions drawn in a vacuum.

from what I have seen, it should serve our team well. Once the team takes on that personality it's self, we should be on to great things.

Both Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey held scrimmages against other teams when they were the Bills HC. The highest wins in a season they had were 8 (Williams) and 9 (Mularkey).

Since Jauron stopped scrimmages against other teams, the highest wins that he and Gailey had in a season were 7 (Jauron) and 6 (Gailey).

IMO, having scrimmages against other teams will only make the Bills better. Marrone is trying to get rid of the losing culture in Buffalo, so if this is part of what it takes to change that culture, then the players will have to deal with it.

These scrimmages are great for the coaches to evaluate the depth on the roster. Plus if I remember right, the coaches agree to what situations they scrimmage. Like goal line, 3rd and long, etc.. Specific situations. Not really a game.

Edited by Fan in San Diego

The Redskins and Patriots did the same thing last week. No one died.

Yep. Listening from the Redskins side i only heard positive things about their joint practices with New England. The guys seemed to have enjoyed going against other competition and made for a little more "bringing your A game" to the practice field.

Seems like some whining by Freddie. If players don't like this, I interpret it as not wanting to have to push yourself in practice...which is kinda' lame. I would hope a guy like Fred would buy in,