Next Buffalo Bill in the HOF?

This weekend has me reminiscing about those great teams of the early 90's. I think that Andre is the last of that group to go into the HOF and it got me thinking. Who will be the next member of the Buffalo Bills to put on the gold jacket?

TO is the obvious answer but he spent so little time there that I don't really count him. Of the players that spent a significant portion of their careers in Buffalo who will it be? My guess is that one or two of the young guys currently on the roster will develop into HOF players (Watkins, Dareus, and/or Kiko). Mario Williams has a shot as well if he turns in about 5 more years like last year. So the game is, who will be the next inductee that played at least 1/2 of his career in Buffalo and when will they be inducted?

My guess: Marcel Dareus class of 2029

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very good question. Mario is my best guess in 2024, but he's not a lock. HOF players are few and far between. To have had 4 on a team for as many years as the Bills had speaks volumes to the quality of personnel we saw in the FO during that era. He wasn't a player, but Polian will be the next Bill in I would expect.

The one guy from the Superbowl team could it be Hull?

I would be elated. I don't expect it, but Kent deserved it as a player and, foremost, as a person.

Edited by VanCity

Am I the only one who thinks Ray Guy getting into the Hall of Fame is more than a little ridiculous?

Can't answer for anyone else, but I'm not with you. The best punter (still) the game has seen deserves to be enshrined IMO.

Meanwhile, back on topic...I do think that Tasker has a shot. Nobody from the dark days. Possibilities Gilmore (Bill"s head explodes), Mario, Poz?

Polian or kent hull. Probably polian. Heard him on gr

last night talking up reed. I was pretty young in 85 - not sure if Reed was a polian draftee, but the thought occurred to me that reeds enshrinement might help what is already a pretty strong case for polian.

As far as the post Super Bowl bills go, only moderately realistic shot is probably dareus and as a

longshot maybe a Kyle Williams if he plays at a high level for a few more years and we have playoff success during that time.

Am I the only one who thinks Ray Guy getting into the Hall of Fame is more than a little ridiculous?

I disagree. He was a game changer, and not just the games he played in... he made a difference in the strategy of the game moving forward. He literally changed coaching philosophy with his ability to flip field position. I'd rather see him in the Hall instead of some tool like Cris Carter.

Terrell Owens will be in the NFL HOF. Technically, he did play for the Bills.

It would be Polian. He deserves the hall. From those SB teams, Tasker *should* be in, as he re-defined special teams play. Hull was great as well, and in the eyes of a Bills fan, he *should* go in as well, however I don't feel like he will.

He wasn't just a punter; he was pretty much unquestionably the greatest punter to ever play the game, and it is part of football.

He was a weapon. Imagine having the ability to pin the other team inside the 10 on a consistent basis, and to punt your way out of trouble if you are stuck deep in your own end. When a punter is able to punt inside the 10 now it's a big deal. Guy was the player who made that a "thing."

He deserves it!

I think the most likely, by far, is Polian. Of course I am basing this what we know up to this point. If the Bills should, heaven forbid, win a Super Bowl in the next three years or so, who knows? Mario Williams would likely put together a pretty decent career resume for the Hall, if he wins that ring in Buffalo... the next, IMO, would be Tasker. Ray Guys' induction (which I think is a good thing) opens up the door a bit for special teamers...Tasker has made the preliminary rolls a number of times, so people are aware of him. I predict, if he doesn't make it in the next couple of years, it will be in about 15 years... guys like Hull, Talley, Bennett, etc were all heart and soul Buffalo Bills, but I am not sure their contributions to the Bills will ever be recognized to the degree that they mean to us. The fact that the Bills will have 5 guys from the Super Bowl era (7 if you include Lofton and Ralph!) is pretty damn impressive, considering the results of those games. I say that with all respect..but that is almost like Steelers/Cowboys "dynasty" level. Another guy who has an outside shot as an old-timer, is Fred Smerlas. I think the guy is a complete a-hole, but he was a terrific player in his prime, and kind of "re-defined" the nose tackle position during his era...another guy who has been nominated numerous times, but never made the cut.

Edited by Buftex

Polian or kent hull. Probably polian. Heard him on gr

last night talking up reed. I was pretty young in 85 - not sure if Reed was a polian draftee, but the thought occurred to me that reeds enshrinement might help what is already a pretty strong case for polian.

As far as the post Super Bowl bills go, only moderately realistic shot is probably dareus and as a

longshot maybe a Kyle Williams if he plays at a high level for a few more years and we have playoff success during that time.

Forgot about Polian!! Great call

Player only? If not, I think it will be Polian.

u too

Can't answer for anyone else, but I'm not with you. The best punter (still) the game has seen deserves to be enshrined IMO.

Meanwhile, back on topic...I do think that Tasker has a shot. Nobody from the dark days. Possibilities Gilmore (Bill"s head explodes), Mario, Poz?

I'm with ya on everything but Poz, Tasker deserves it like Ray Guy, changed the way kick coverage was played and viewed. He turned into a special teams weapon in which teams had to game plan for. If nothing happens to Sammy he seems like he could easily make it.

I disagree. He was a game changer, and not just the games he played in... he made a difference in the strategy of the game moving forward. He literally changed coaching philosophy with his ability to flip field position. I'd rather see him in the Hall instead of some tool like Cris Carter.

The same could be said of Tasker.

Terrell Owens will be in the NFL HOF. Technically, he did play for the Bills.

He's played for so many teams though, which team will he be associated with if he gets in?

I'm with ya on everything but Poz, Tasker deserves it like Ray Guy, changed the way kick coverage was played and viewed. He turned into a special teams weapon in which teams had to game plan for. If nothing happens to Sammy he seems like he could easily make it.

Do you think Brian Mitchell or Mel Gray deserve to be in the HOF? As quite honestly to me bigger impacts as special teamers heck the same could be said of Devin Hester. I mean I guess you could debate that Tasker was the defensive equivalent to those guys? Yet everyone knows our 90s team were based on the upbeat offense and not defense. I know people will comment on his great plays against Denver etc. yet that was one game of 169 played. To me a HOF is an impact player for a majority of this games played and to be honest I don't think you can say that of Steve Tasker. It hurts saying all this as he's a likeable guy. Yet he himself doesn't feel he should be in the HOF. To me he benefits of playing in a "Sports Center" era of football where you only see highlights and they stay with you but if you remember there's an average of what 7 or 8 kickoffs or punts per game and that equates to about 1352 plays he could have made and offhand I can think of maybe 5 or 6 in Tasker's career whereas the return guys I mentioned made a lot more.

Edited by The Jokeman