Next Buffalo Bill in the HOF?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only player in the last 15 years that comes to mind who spent significant time with the Bills is Antoine Winfield - five years with the Bills. He wouldn't go in as a Bill. In the end I think he would be a guy that would get cut from the balloting process around 10-15 every year. Great player just not spectacular enough. For example Aeneas Williams had 8 Pro Bowls and 55 INTs compared to 3 and 27 for Winfield.

Edited by Dragonborn10

Fred Jackson? Figure he'll play til he's 50. Averaging 1000 yards from scrimmage per year... That will get him easily into top 10 all time.

The only player in the last 15 years that comes to mind outside of TO, is Winfield. He wouldn't go in as a Bill and I don't think he would make it anyways. Just three Pro Bowls in 14 years. He was a great player though.

Fearless run stopper...

Byrd could continue building his case as well. He started strong enough. If he continues or gets even better and sustains it for another 8 years... He could

Polian is the first that comes to mind but will he go in as a Bill or a Colt. The man won a SB with the Colts.

Now that Guy is in after today I think that opens up more talk for STs and if that's the case you can't discount Tasker. He'll be in one day I think. Does he deserve it based on numbers? No. Based on what he did for STs? Yes.

Other former Bills that could be considered are :

Hull

Talley

Bennett

Not sure they make it or even get consideration but those would be my guesses.

Guys in the team in recent past:

Byrd

TO

Mario

Fletcher

Dareus

Sammy

CJ.... Ok just kidding about that.

Polian is the first that comes to mind but will he go in as a Bill or a Colt. The man won a SB with the Colts.

Now that Guy is in after today I think that opens up more talk for STs and if that's the case you can't discount Tasker. He'll be in one day I think. Does he deserve it based on numbers? No. Based on what he did for STs? Yes.

Other former Bills that could be considered are :

Hull

Talley

Bennett

Not sure they make it or even get consideration but those would be my guesses.

Guys in the team in recent past:

Byrd

TO

Mario

Fletcher

Dareus

Sammy

CJ.... Ok just kidding about that.

London Fletcher. Now there's an interesting one. If he was drafted anywhere in the first round he would be a shoe in for the Hall. But because he was an undrafted free agent it took years for people to acknowledge he was good and a decade to get any real respect.

He wasn't just a punter; he was pretty much unquestionably the greatest punter to ever play the game, and it is part of football.

He was a weapon. Imagine having the ability to pin the other team inside the 10 on a consistent basis, and to punt your way out of trouble if you are stuck deep in your own end. When a punter is able to punt inside the 10 now it's a big deal. Guy was the player who made that a "thing."

He deserves it!

Well said. If there is a "coffin corner", Ray Guy put it there.

London Fletcher. Now there's an interesting one. If he was drafted anywhere in the first round he would be a shoe in for the Hall. But because he was an undrafted free agent it took years for people to acknowledge he was good and a decade to get any real respect.

he may get in just based off the stats he has over his career. Granted it took him 20 years to do it , lol. But still.

Am I the only one who thinks Ray Guy getting into the Hall of Fame is more than a little ridiculous?

Times were different back then. he was a first round pick i believe and lived up to it

That is a very good question. Mario is my best guess in 2024, but he's not a lock. HOF players are few and far between. To have had 4 on a team for as many years as the Bills had speaks volumes to the quality of personnel we saw in the FO during that era. He wasn't a player, but Pollian will be the next Bill in I would expect.

I would be elated. I don't expect it, but Kent deserved it as a player and, foremost, as a person.

Agreed . ask Jim Kelly who corrected him with play calling..

That was a great synergy back then. Hull is a fantastic human being besides Or more importantly !

of those mentioned n this thread I think only Polian and Hull have a shot. Washington probably deserves consideration.

And Fletcher, no way. I don't care if he Sam Cowart only played 8 years (thanks to that prick frank Middleton)...Sam was 10x the linebacker Fletcher was, is, or ever will be. And he's not going in the hall either.

dont you kinda wish you could get that one back?

We do ;-)

ha ha.

You have to be a nerd to be in the hall of fame. That's why Tasker has a chance.

Lynch is a beast. He should get in just cause his nickname alone. Teams know he is going to run and they still have a hard time stopping him. He gets his yards eventually.

Ok. With all due respect to someone I think will be a tremendous player and MAYBE a HOFer, to even mention Sammy in this thread is ignorant and a disservice to all other players mentioned. As out current HOF inductee said, "he's a rookie, he hasn't done anything!".

We always do this as bills fans, we just assume that just cause someone got drafted high they will be HOF caliber. Then we freak out when they become Mike Williams. Just remember that Dareus was drafted higher than Sammy and hasn't given any indication that he is a shoe in.

I know Sammy has looked very promising in his first training camp, but to put him in a conversation with people who have completed or are executing high level long term careers is just ridiculous.

And yes the punter deserves to be in. If u think the punter is unimportant to the game go back and watch what happens in games when punters get injured. More importantly, HOF is about being the best at ur position, and changing the game or the position. Marv was a great coach but maybe not the best of all time. And he got in rather quickly. Ray Guy was the best to ever play his position and changed the way the position was played. Just cause ur too clueless to understand the importance of a punter doesn't mean the player doesn't deserve the hall. I think the bigger reason it's taken this long is because there are so few punters in the league, and Kickers-punters often keep to themselves, so there's not many people voting for you.

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

Ok. With all due respect to someone I think will be a tremendous player and MAYBE a HOFer, to even mention Sammy in this thread is ignorant and a disservice to all other players mentioned. As out current HOF inductee said, "he's a rookie, he hasn't done anything!".

We always do this as bills fans, we just assume that just cause someone got drafted high they will be HOF caliber. Then we freak out when they become Mike Williams. Just remember that Dareus was drafted higher than Sammy and hasn't given any indication that he is a shoe in.

I know Sammy has looked very promising in his first training camp, but to put him in a conversation with people who have completed or are executing high level long term careers is just ridiculous.

And yes the punter deserves to be in. If u think the punter is unimportant to the game go back and watch what happens in games when punters get injured. More importantly, HOF is about being the best at ur position, and changing the game or the position. Marv was a great coach but maybe not the best of all time. And he got in rather quickly. Ray Guy was the best to ever play his position and changed the way the position was played. Just cause ur too clueless to understand the importance of a punter doesn't mean the player doesn't deserve the hall. I think the bigger reason it's taken this long is because there are so few punters in the league, and Kickers-punters often keep to themselves, so there's not many people voting for you.

I'm pretty sure they were just joking.....

Dont take us too serious.

In terms of Sammy he is the most highly touted skill player that we have picked since OJ probably. He obviously hasn't played a game yet but he comes in as about as sure a thing as you can be. His floor is a better Stevie Johnson and his ceiling is the best WR in the league. Where will he end up on that scale? Who knows Edited by Kirby Jackson