AP Source: NFL stadium sites explored in Toronto

I guess it depends on how much more cash he actually has on hand. Even so I'd still imagine he is the limiting factor and he has to own at least 33.4% of the team in a 3 person group. If the Rogers' were the controlling group they have more than 7B in assets.

Not for nothing if JBJ suddenly shows up with way more in assets than he "should" I wouldn't be surprised to see the IRS knocking on his door.

The only reason I imagine that myself, or you, or anyone here thinks that JBJ is worth $300m is because that is what Forbes said he was worth, and they are notoriously wrong on a lot of people.

A source close to the Toronto group told the Toronto Sun that is simply not accurate and he has far, far more than that.

Frankly, I have no idea what he is really worth but I tend to believe that over the Forbes thing, because a) they have limited access to what someone is truly worth, and b) it made little sense to me that Tanenbaum and Rogers would be footing the bill AND not being able to be "the controlling owner." The fact he has more and is putting in more makes a lot more sense than he only has $300m.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nonsense. I will bet you anything that Bon Jovi knew Leweike from AEG, with nothing whatsoever to do with Toronto. Leweike was the main guy for Philip anshutz who was trying to bring a team to LA. Leweike didn't even join MLSE until about a year ago.

Leweike is absolutely the connection to JBJ. Lewike is actually the most appealing piece of the group, for me at least. He's really excellent at what he does.

Edited by GreggyT

Leweike is absolutely the connection to JBJ. Lewike is actually the most appealing piece of the group, for me at least. He's really excellent at what he does.

Well, he did get fired from AEG for not being all that great at his job I think. ;) The whole LA thing IMO was a ridiculous idea from the start. There was no way to make money the way AEG said they wanted to do it.

i'll say this. some of you folks here get on my nerves sometimes. at the very least -- with the exception of Beerball, of course -- many of you here aren't sniffing the glue that's being passed around on the bb.com message board. yowza.

just saying.

jw

at the very least, i got to say hello to Beerball ... :nana:

There is NO doubt that, if somehow the Trust ignored this and decided to sell to JBJ, there will be an immediate lawsuit filed in Buffalo.

There is no way JBJ can be the winning bidder. It is even less likely that a judge (especially in WNY) will do anything other than rule in the state and county's favor given the language of the lease.

Goodbye Jon Bon Jovi. You should buy the Toronto Argos or the Eagles. Stay out of WNY and keep your hands off of our team.

There's nothing in the lease that prevents the team from being sold to someone who has even explicitly stated that he intends to eventually move the team, so long as the move under discussion would not take place until after the lease expires.

If you read the AP article carefully, it is consistent with this view:

Under terms of the team's lease with the state and county, the Bills - including Wilson's estate - are not allowed to negotiate with anyone, who to their knowledge, has an intention of relocating the team before the end of the 2022 season, when the lease ends.

We don't know what, if anything, the trust says about disqualifying bidders who have expressed an intent of moving the team in the future. And there are very logical arguments you can make about why the NFL would not want to have several years of uproar in Buffalo about a possible future move if the Bon Jovi Toronto group buys the team.

But if the Toronto group is excluded from being the winning bidder, it won't be because of the lease (unless one of the rich Toronto guys or Bon Jovi stupidly states that he intends to move the team before, rather than after, the lease expires).

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Bon Jovi is a douche

and a mofo :lol:

Typical dick move to say he won't move the team while all the while scouting around Canada for a possible new stadium site, and if built will take a few years to complete. So, what he should be saying is he won't move the team....until the current lease is up. JBJ is the very last person I'd want to see get the team.

Anyway, If I'm not mistaken it will be more difficult for a group or multiple owners to win the bid over a singular person.

Edited by FeartheLosing

i'll say this. some of you folks here get on my nerves sometimes. at the very least -- with the exception of Beerball, of course -- many of you here aren't sniffing the glue that's being passed around on the bb.com message board. yowza.

just saying.

jw

Hello Mr. Wawrow! :D

he said something.

jw

It wouldn't have anything to do with the planning of a parade route for a perennially horrible hockey team, whose colors happen to be blue and white, now would it?

Edited by biglukes

I still need something explained here...

How is the fact that the JBJ group looked into Toronto stadium sites 18 months ago--before anyone knew that this team was for sale--proof that they still intend to move this team?

Again I'll say that this only serves to illustrate that they previously intended to move the team. That's no longer an option as far as I understand it, so if they still want the team, they're going to have to commit to Buffalo long-term.

If they don't, they have no chance...not that I think they'll have the winning bid anyway.

Nor do I want them to

wouldn't count on that ever since, say, late November.

jw

JW, Hasn't Hasiotis, the developer promoting the outer harbor site, contacted the Toronto group to see if they are interested in his stadium project?

What's the general attitude from the public authorities regarding Hasiotis's stadium proposal? Is he being taking seriously? Or is he simply a self-promoter who is pursuing his individual interests? If I am not mistaken he has made claims that his outer harbor stadium proposal can be privately funded without much public funding. Is he credible or fanciful?

Edited by JohnC

I trust them even less because they couldn't even acknowledge that they looked at sights in TO 18 months ago and want to act like it never happened. I wouldn't believe them anyway but it was 18 months ago, before the Bills were for sale.

To ignore it completely perpetuates the lie and their intentions.

The Rogers family late father was well documented in his efforts to bring an NFL franchise to Toronto. There is not indication since his passing that has changed. And many who are pointing out that the language of the lease specifies relocation during the tenure of the entire lease are correct in legal terms.

There are the local bidders, that is where the destiny of this club should lay. Particularly Terry Pegula. But, since no one is truly in the know on who the trust will select based on the bidding process, it's a bit nerve racking for fans.

This only goes to show to the WNY general fan base for the team further evidence that this Toronto Group is not to be trusted, at all, when it comes to this regions best interests for the Bills.

And others have pointed out the exodus that will occur revenue wise at the stadium should this group get the team, I believe that is a very real concern I would imagine. If the trust does select either Galisano or Pegula's bid that would solidify the revenue in the area for the team for a bit as some rejoicing in the fan base would occur.

I'm sure there are many variables being considered here at NFL HQ, state and local gov't levels and the private sector through the bidders themselves.

In the end, I believe it's Pegula, but, only time will tell.

The Rogers family late father was well documented in his efforts to bring an NFL franchise to Toronto. There is not indication since his passing that has changed. And many who are pointing out that the language of the lease specifies relocation during the tenure of the entire lease are correct in legal terms.

When Eddie III needed to get permission from mom and sis to join JBJ and Tanenbaum's group, I think that signaled a change in that Eddie II NEVER would have needed that approval. It also begs the question, perhaps in the eyes of the NFL, that Eddie III might need family approval in other matters regarding the operation of an NFL franchise.

GO BILLS!!!

just saying.

jw

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

There are the local bidders, that is where the destiny of this club should lay. Particularly Terry Pegula. But, since no one is truly in the know on who the trust will select based on the bidding process, it's a bit nerve racking for fans.

This only goes to show to the WNY general fan base for the team further evidence that this Toronto Group is not to be trusted, at all, when it comes to this regions best interests for the Bills.

And others have pointed out the exodus that will occur revenue wise at the stadium should this group get the team, I believe that is a very real concern I would imagine. If the trust does select either Galisano or Pegula's bid that would solidify the revenue in the area for the team for a bit as some rejoicing in the fan base would occur.

I'm sure there are many variables being considered here at NFL HQ, state and local gov't levels and the private sector through the bidders themselves.

In the end, I believe it's Pegula, but, only time will tell.

I'm not sure if you were aiming to or not, but none of that answers my question...

I still need something explained here...

How is the fact that the JBJ group looked into Toronto stadium sites 18 months ago--before anyone knew that this team was for sale--proof that they still intend to move this team?

Again I'll say that this only serves to illustrate that they previously intended to move the team. That's no longer an option as far as I understand it, so if they still want the team, they're going to have to commit to Buffalo long-term.

If they don't, they have no chance...not that I think they'll have the winning bid anyway.

Nor do I want them to

no bandit, it wasn't meant to respond to your post, just some general observations is all.

As for your post, there is not direct comments or actions that state the Toronto group would move since the passing of Ralph Wilson that I am aware of, maybe others are.

But to ignore historically the stance of some of the parties involved in that group and not draw some conclusions as to their intent wouldn't be prudent either, as long as those conclusions aren't based on speculation, but on that past history.

no bandit, it wasn't meant to respond to your post, just some general observations is all.

As for your post, there is not direct comments or actions that state the Toronto group would move since the passing of Ralph Wilson that I am aware of, maybe others are.

But to ignore historically the stance of some of the parties involved in that group and not draw some conclusions as to their intent wouldn't be prudent either, as long as those conclusions aren't based on speculation, but on that past history.

Clearly their intent was to put a team in Toronto--I don't think anyone is debating that.

The only point some folks have made is that if that intent is still on the table then they have no shot at the team...I realize some folks may take that for speculation, and if they do I understand.

Clearly their intent was to put a team in Toronto--I don't think anyone is debating that.

The only point some folks have made is that if that intent is still on the table then they have no shot at the team...I realize some folks may take that for speculation, and if they do I understand.

Well, I don't believe you and I have had this conversation as of yet, but, for myself, my view of the situation, it's probably singular amongst posters, at least, I think it is. Not positive though.

I believe you are correct in that statement. And as I told my quiet friend, I have no direct knowledge of who the trust will select in the end, but I do firmly hold the belief that it will be a locally vested entity (i.e. Mr. Pegula or Mr. Galisano for example). It's just a strong feeling.

EDIT: and I should have added, the lease doesn't address the long term strategic situation of the team, merely it's current timeline obligations, such as no intent to move the team during it's current "full" lease tenure. That draws to 2022, the 2020 out clause isn't a reality for any party interested in moving the team.

This is most likely where all of the concerns lay when speaking of the Toronto group. And, you know, I have to admit, fans that do understand that have legitimate concerns on that when it comes to this are just pointing that out. Until the bidding process ends and a new owner is selected angst amongst the fan base is to be expected.

Edited by HopefulFuture

Well, I don't believe you and I have had this conversation as of yet, but, for myself, my view of the situation, it's probably singular amongst posters, at least, I think it is. Not positive though.

I believe you are correct in that statement. And as I told my quiet friend, I have no direct knowledge of who the trust will select in the end, but I do firmly hold the belief that it will be a locally vested entity (i.e. Mr. Pegula or Mr. Galisano for example). It's just a strong feeling I have, after all, my paycheck tells me so ;)

Nebulous veiled hints aside, I have no direct knowledge of who they'll select either. I can only say that any buyer is going to have to commit to WNY long-term--with far more than a "we promise"--if they want the team.

JBJ might as well crawl in a hole somewhere. He will be villified beyond belief (already has) if he so much attempts moving the franchise. His backtracking now is clearly to keep his reputation intact and appease people while his group tries to close the deal.

What can the Bills fans do? Make sure every game is sold out this year to bolster our repuation as the most loyal fans in the league despite a losing product for years... I'll be there.

Nebulous veiled hints aside, I have no direct knowledge of who they'll select either. I can only say that any buyer is going to have to commit to WNY long-term--with far more than a "we promise"--if they want the team.

Well, we could look at from the several parties point of view.

The Trust

What is their function? Well, it's obviously to get the best deal in the bidding process, but what constitutes the best deal? What are the parameters they are working under outside of the legally documented ones? Do the voting members of the trust have a firm belief in keeping the team in Buffalo? I've seen no statement to such from any voting member of the trust and rightfully so, as I believe that could hinder achieving the best return for the product. After all, why limit the ability to garner income, the sale of the team after all is being done to establish long term cash flow viability in the Wilson family while avoiding various tax implications. Ralph Wilson was loyal to this area, but he was also loyal to his family. These are merely my beliefs.

The Wilson Family

As I eluded to, I've seen no comments from this party concerning their stance on staying in Buffalo or not. And once again, rightfully so.

I honestly no 0 about Mary and kids take on the situation, they've been very good about not disturbing the process. Maybe she feels the love the region showed her husband is more than worth overlooking a higher bid from a group who's MO is to move the team, even if stating otherwise. I just don't know. But the long term cash flow for the Wilson family, most likely through future generations, i.e. the kids and grand kids and great-grand kids may also play a major influence. Hard to say really without knowing Mary personally.

The Toronto Group

We pretty much agree on this groups intentions.

The locally vested bidders

We pretty much agree on this groups intentions.

To me, it all comes down to Mary. I realize there are more voters than her, but I have to believe she has heavy sway over what her late husband has accomplished. I would imagine this is immense respect for her withing the inner circle of the trust, just something that I feel strongly about.

It should not be a surprise to anyone that this group has no long term plan for Buffalo. No matter how they weasel word or play nice right now, the Toronto investors are not planning to put up $750m or more for their share to have football team in Buffalo. They, and the greedy tools of the NFL like Jerry Jones, have their eyes on a much bigger pie in Toronto. If they win control, the Bills are as good as gone once the current lease expires.