Here's how we save the Bills if they're sold to JBJ

With today's report that JBJ is submitting a bid with a Toronto cartel that will more than likely harbor idea of moving the team to Canada, Bills fans are understandably nervous.

I think I have thought of the solution to our problem, and if the team is indeed sold to him, this solution seems so toxic, so averse to the NFL, that if this spreads around before bidding closes, I could see it torpedoing that ownerships group of even winning.

So here's how it works.

No, we don't boycot Jon Bon Jovi music at the stadium, and in Buffalo. He doesn't care, and it makes us look disorganized and foolish. He's got well north of 300 million in liquid cash at the moment, his music earns him royalties, sure, but he's a business man and has money coming in from other sources. Boycotting his music does nothing.

No, we don't stop going to Bills games or buying Bills merchandise--that does nothing either. In fact, it makes us look even worse as Bills fans, and further encourages a move out of Buffalo.

No, the solution is far more simple: rather than making Buffalo the place the NFL wants to be... we make Buffalo the place the NFL doesn't want to be.

Bear with me.

The Bills are locked in Buffalo for 7 years. NOW is the time to let Goodell know how long those seven years are going to feel if the Bills get sold to an owner looking to move the team--and it happens like this:

obnoxious chants at games

the stadium wearing all black

fans holding up signs that spell out obscenities towards toronto--and not just 10 fans, 80,000 fans

80,000 people at once throwing beverages on the field--every game

a streaker between every play that is run, delaying the game for hours and hours and hours

cutting the electricity to the stadium during prime time games

We as fans need to band together and let the NFL know that WERE going to make life a living hell for THEM for the next 7 years, not vice versa. Winning a super bowl? lol. our focus will be on becoming the biggest story in sports for the next 7 years. We can do the most absurd and ridiculous things as fans... as an 80,000 strong flash mob... things the NFL hasn't dreamt of... things that will keep Goodell up at night.

This is our chance. Don't boycot, don't riot, just make the big boys in the suits think loooooooooong and hard about selling this team off.

This is the nuclear option, but if they want to sell to a Toronto based group, who's willing to fight the good fight?

Picture: with 5 minutes and 30 seconds left in the fourth, 20,000 fans storm the field.

Every week.

For 7 years.

Edited by JohnnyGold

I'm down with it for sure. How about this. Every ge at home that it looks like were going to lose with approximately 4 minutes left in the game we all storm the field. Tearing down goal posts. Ripping up the turf. Etc. Make it so that the game cannot be finished. So that the loses eventually are counted as forfeit.

I actually like this idea. Of doesn't get our team back of sold to a Canadian based org, but it sure let's the league know how much we disapprove.

What a terrific plan! I will volunteer you as the streaker for every game you're not in jail the first season. I hope you've been staying in shape. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the crowd if you're not taking care of yourself. Unless, of course, you're of the Chris Farley mold, and then this could be even more entertaining.

But, ummm, (slightly) more seriously, I hope there's some magic font I'm missing or you've just been over-served for the evening.

What a terrific plan! I will volunteer you as the streaker for every game you're not in jail the first season. I hope you've been staying in shape. It wouldn't be fair to the rest of the crowd if you're not taking care of yourself. Unless, of course, you're of the Chris Farley mold, and then this could be even more entertaining.

But, ummm, (slightly) more seriously, I hope there's some magic font I'm missing or you've just been over-served for the evening.

Well, you stay home and cry into your pillow while the grown ups save the team then. Some men are built to take action, others arent. 99% of this board is made up of the latter. I've learned that over the years.

How about this:

a "F*ck Bon Jovi" chant.

that lasts the entire third preseason game.

Well, you stay home and cry into your pillow while the grown ups save the team then. Some men are built to take action, others arent. 99% of this board is made up of the latter. I've learned that over the years.

How about this:

a "F*ck Bon Jovi" chant.

that lasts the entire third preseason game.

its not gonna make a difference. By that time the new owners will be identified. If not publicly, it will be in the owners groups.

And that's the kids day game. So chances are your never going to get that to happen.

I for one would support a Goo Goo Dolls vs Bon Jovi "band off" competition.

The winner gets the Bills.

Since JBJ loves the idea of owning the "Buffalo" Bills so much, the judges panel will be limited WNY only, in the spirit of fairness.

Oh and by the way, the loser gets to ride a can"uck"oe over the Falls.

If the fans were that hostile they'd just move the home games to Toronto but keep calling themselves the Buffalo Bills until a court let them out of the lease. If that's the goal, then great but it would not "save the Bills" as much as "ensure any glimmer of hope that the Buffalo would get another team no matter how small was completely extinguished."

Mike Schopp tried organizing a walkout of the second period at a Sabres game once. I am pretty sure he got all of 10 people to join him and he had a radio show as a platform. It was a total failure and a black mark on his career. Trying to get 72K people, the stadium hasn't held 80K since 1998, who have paid hard earned money to do something illegal or foolish isn't going to happen.

Mike Schopp tried organizing a walkout of the second period at a Sabres game once. I am pretty sure he got all of 10 people to join him and he had a radio show as a platform. It was a total failure and a black mark on his career. Trying to get 72K people, the stadium hasn't held 80K since 1998, who have paid hard earned money to do something illegal or foolish isn't going to happen.

honestly, it would probably just take about 50 people pouring over the fence. After everyone saw that the field would probably be swarmed.

Obscenities? Drunks storming the field? This post made sense ...for a couple lines. Every time fans storm the field, the Bills will end up forfeiting a game. That is how the suits will respond. Every time fans act like thugs, it will make us look bad and justify moving the team. Peaceful, civil demonstrations of support make sense,but dont act like idiots.

With today's report that JBJ is submitting a bid with a Toronto cartel that will more than likely harbor idea of moving the team to Canada, Bills fans are understandably nervous.

I think I have thought of the solution to our problem, and if the team is indeed sold to him, this solution seems so toxic, so averse to the NFL, that if this spreads around before bidding closes, I could see it torpedoing that ownerships group of even winning.

So here's how it works.

No, we don't boycot Jon Bon Jovi music at the stadium, and in Buffalo. He doesn't care, and it makes us look disorganized and foolish. He's got well north of 300 million in liquid cash at the moment, his music earns him royalties, sure, but he's a business man and has money coming in from other sources. Boycotting his music does nothing.

No, we don't stop going to Bills games or buying Bills merchandise--that does nothing either. In fact, it makes us look even worse as Bills fans, and further encourages a move out of Buffalo.

No, the solution is far more simple: rather than making Buffalo the place the NFL wants to be... we make Buffalo the place the NFL doesn't want to be.

Bear with me.

The Bills are locked in Buffalo for 7 years. NOW is the time to let Goodell know how long those seven years are going to feel if the Bills get sold to an owner looking to move the team--and it happens like this:

fans holding up signs that spell out obscenities towards toronto--and not just 10 fans, 80,000 fans

a streaker between every play that is run, delaying the game for hours and hours and hours

We as fans need to band together and let the NFL know that WERE going to make life a living hell for THEM for the next 7 years, not vice versa. Winning a super bowl? lol. our focus will be on becoming the biggest story in sports for the next 7 years. We can do the most absurd and ridiculous things as fans... as an 80,000 strong flash mob... things the NFL hasn't dreamt of... things that will keep Goodell up at night.

This is our chance. Don't boycot, don't riot, just make the big boys in the suits think loooooooooong and hard about selling this team off.

This is the nuclear option, but if they want to sell to a Toronto based group, who's willing to fight the good fight?

Picture: with 5 minutes and 30 seconds left in the fourth, 20,000 fans storm the field.

Every week.

For 7 years.

That type of activity will only accelerate the move, giving the JBJ group the excuse they need to leave, sue over the supposed no-relocation clause in the interest of safety and the move to a "safer" Toronto to protect fans and players.

Edited by 8and8Forever

What about a simple pledge committing to boycott, watching or attending nfl games, buying direct tv subs and buying nfl merchandise from a couple hundred thousand fans if the bills relocate to TO? That would get some attention.

One of things they count on with the TO move, I assume is retaining a significant portion of the current market.

Gotta paint Toronto Sucks on your buttocks if you are going to do this.

If JBJ buys the team, I would be really curious what the next 7 years would be like.

On one hand, would sales go up and people be more enthused/nostalgic/desperate because it is the "last hurrah" and everyone will want to see a championship before the team moves?

On the other hand, will people be so disgusted that they stop following the team, or engage in protests like the OP said?

Probably going to be a mix of reactions.

So here's how it works.

Bear with me.

Every week.

For 7 years.

How about you grow up? Nah that is asking way too much.

If you interested in saving the Bills. The only way is to make them hugely profitable, start a petition begging the team to double or triple ticket prices. Then sell out every game for the next seven years.

What about a simple pledge committing to boycott, watching or attending nfl games, buying direct tv subs and buying nfl merchandise from a couple hundred thousand fans if the bills relocate to TO? That would get some attention.

One of things they count on with the TO move, I assume is retaining a significant portion of the current market.

worst possible scenario right here.

the last thing we should do is pledge to not support the team--look into houston's final season as the oilers, it just hastens a move.

20,000 fans storming the field... Say 1/3 get caught... There is almost 7,000 fans that are now barred from attending games...

I don't see how any if this can possibly serve as anything remotely close to constructive, actually seems very childish.

Maybe I am missing something...

A bid doesn't mean JBJ gets it. Pegula has a net worth far above Tannenbaum and JBJ. If he really wants the team, and he tried once before, he'll get it.

Although I liked the initial post, in reality the only result would be a hell of a lot of arrests. If the unthinkable happens, stop going to games and buying merchandise. Empty stadiums, no concessions, parking, purchasing apparel, etc is how to hurt a business. Not only make a significant purchase of a team, but then a lack of revenue stream will hurt.

They'll still be gone in 7 years, but it can be a painful 7 years. I know the TV money argument, but that pays for salaries, employees, and all other overhead. They do need stadium money to reap in that 30 million per year. So instead of 30-40 mil, they have to live with 10-15.

That makes for a tough time for 7 straight years. I personally will drop them altogether, and root 100% for the Bucs as I live here.

Wtf makes this has been "rocker" so qualified to become an nfl owner...his net worth is piddles compared to the real money....step aside Jon Bon ...the big boys are playing. Just go away.

Wtf makes this has been "rocker" so qualified to become an nfl owner...his net worth is piddles compared to the real money....step aside Jon Bon ...the big boys are playing. Just go away.

Nothing. And in reality unless Rogers/tanenbaum are giving jbj the money he wouldn't even be a majority owner. He's a face for them to throw at people.

worst possible scenario right here.

the last thing we should do is pledge to not support the team--look into houston's final season as the oilers, it just hastens a move.

No no, a pledge to not support the team if and when they move states a consequence. It doesn't do anything to accelerate anything.

If a large mass of nfl fans gain publicity by pledging to discontinue support of the nfl contingent upon the relocation of the bills, now the nfl has a very difficult political decision to make in the face of public outcry. There is the threat of an impact to post move revenue meaning the relocated franchise will not have the benefit of the current market plus TO now its a one of the other choice.

I can't believe any of the Toronto relocationists believe they can succeed without keeping the majority of the current WNY following intact.

If you think critically the only leverage we fans have is our contribution to future revenues. That's it.

Personally, all these "ideas", if you even want to call them that, are just juvenile behavior that isn't likely going to do anything other than get people put in jail and banned from future games. If you really want the constructive solution, it lies within the contract to sell the team. Put a poison pill in the contract, pretty much like the one that's in the lease right now. Move the team more than 30 miles from Orchard Park without the approval of the Wilson family, and you pay a $1 billion penalty payable to the WNY taxpayers. That penalty must be paid prior to a single game being played elsewhere. Who in their right mind will pay $1 billion for this team (or in that vacinity) and then pay another $1 billion to move them? It is absurd and that's what it should be. Holding signs, chanting foul language, and wearing black is great and all, but really is just playing checkers when here we really want to be playing chess.

Edited by Luxy312

If you really want the constructive solution, it lies within the contract to sell the team. Put a poison pill in the contract, pretty much like the one that's in the lease right now.

Now here's some rational thought. No one likes to feel that they have no control in an important situation, but the fact is we have very, very little control. Disgracing ourselves is in no way helpful (and could even be harmful). Supporting the team can help, but at this late date is likely to have little to no impact. The fate of the Bills is in the hands of the trustees and what is in writing in the estate planning documents and the contract to sell. It always comes down to what's in the contract. I'm cautiously optimistic about the outcome, but far from comfortable. Regardless, it's no reason to act like a soccer hooligan.

Now here's some rational thought. No one likes to feel that they have no control in an important situation, but the fact is we have very, very little control. Disgracing ourselves is in no way helpful (and could even be harmful). Supporting the team can help, but at this late date is likely to have little to no impact. The fate of the Bills is in the hands of the trustees and what is in writing in the estate planning documents and the contract to sell. It always comes down to what's in the contract. I'm cautiously optimistic about the outcome, but far from comfortable. Regardless, it's no reason to act like a soccer hooligan.

Agreed! I think on the best thing this fan base can to is act honorable and show everyone that we are the most loyal fans in the NFL, and make them want to keep the team here

Personally, all these "ideas", if you even want to call them that, are just juvenile behavior that isn't likely going to do anything other than get people put in jail and banned from future games. If you really want the constructive solution, it lies within the contract to sell the team. Put a poison pill in the contract, pretty much like the one that's in the lease right now. Move the team more than 30 miles from Orchard Park without the approval of the Wilson family, and you pay a $1 billion penalty payable to the WNY taxpayers. That penalty must be paid prior to a single game being played elsewhere. Who in their right mind will pay $1 billion for this team (or in that vacinity) and then pay another $1 billion to move them? It is absurd and that's what it should be. Holding signs, chanting foul language, and wearing black is great and all, but really is just playing checkers when here we really want to be playing chess.

Oh yes that's chess alright. Glad to know you have access to contract terms. $1 billion to WNY? How are they a benefactor to the terms of the Wilson estate transaction?

Those aren't ideas about any recourse fans have. That's candyland... Kid like and imaginary....

I do agree intentionally descending to be the most obnoxious fan base in the league while still filling the seats, won't do much of anything.

So here's how it works.

Bear with me.

Every week.

For 7 years.

I envisioned something like this happening. Jon BJ succeeds you think we're going to just sit and take it? There will be extreme amounts of fan energy- some destructive, yet some constructive. And it wouldn't go away anytime soon unless they say uncle and sign some kind of long term comitment.

And yeah, as someone mentioned ron jaworski aint fooling anybody as a sincere voice. hs's a shill traitor who deserves to be stripped of whatever title he has. he's second only to roger goddell as the king WNY embarrassment at this point.

BTW truth be told only 1 of the last 15 successful NFL bidders were a partnership. The NFL prefers single owners with deep pockets who can cut the check.

Our other saving grace is that the NFL owners will most likely not approve the sale of a buyer with intent to move the team.

But yeah, if BJ wins the bid- someone will organize a Jon BJ cd and record "demolition". similar to what a chicago DJ did with disco records.

any takers?

Oh yes that's chess alright. Glad to know you have access to contract terms. $1 billion to WNY? How are they a benefactor to the terms of the Wilson estate transaction?

Those aren't ideas about any recourse fans have. That's candyland... Kid like and imaginary....

I do agree intentionally descending to be the most obnoxious fan base in the league while still filling the seats, won't do much of anything.

You are missing the point. The fans for the most part don't have any power. I DON'T have access to contract terms. No one does, because one doesn't exist. The idea (and it's simply an idea) is that the Wilson family has the power to make it painful to move the team. Adding a poison pill to the eventual sales contract that doesn't even benefit them makes it all that more powerful. We've seen plenty of "kid like" suggestions. Running on the field, throwing drinks, throwing a tantrum, etc. This is much more business like and would be a lot more effective.

Edited by Luxy312

I'm a Buffalo Bills fan. As long as they are in Buffalo and play for my city, I will cheer for the franchise. I'm not going to make myself, my city and my team look ridiculous so they 'don't move the team.' A little class may do the trick.

Do you really think the players would appreciate fans acting like that?

So here's how it works.

Bear with me.

Every week.

For 7 years.

None of this crazy stuff will work. You want it to happen for 7 years. Not possible.

About the only thing fans can do is boycott. Even that will not work in this scenario.

They'll just move the games to Toronto quicker.

Fans in Toronto will not be for the boycott. Actually a lot of fans in Buffalo are not even up for the boycott today.

If they will move, you kind of have to accept reality. It's not like they are violating civil rights... It's out of our control.