What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Crime is not the problem ?

How do even argue with such stupidity

It's not stupidity. It's a plan.

When you listen to the rhetoric that comes from leftists like gatorman/...lybob, birdog, baskin, etc., they believe in an America that is controlled exclusively by the federal government. What you eat. Where you go. What you're paid. What you drive. How you're educated. How you get a house. On and on.

To them, the citizens can not be left to think for themselves, and only the government can make the proper choices for everyone.

In their minds, this would be much easier to do if the only people who had guns worked for the federal government.

Reminder:

The so-called “terrorist watch list” is a clunky, bureaucratic list of hundreds of thousands of people, some who have no links to terrorism at all.

But (of course) the dems want to be seen as "doing something"

Leading U.S. Senate Democrats discussing how to revive a push for legislation imposing additional gun controls. Especially refusing sales to those on the terror list..................http://reut.rs/21hYCGH #2A

We've had this argument.

This is just an incremental, "to hell with due process" predictable move by the Left.

Edited by B-Man

It's interesting watching you guys put so many words in the mouths of collective 'left'.

- We have terrorism threats/issues in the US.

- We have gun availability issues in the US.

- We have gun ownership issues in the US.

- We have mental healthcare availability issues in the US.

- We have social integration issues in the US.

- We have equality issues in the US.

- We have security intelligence issues in the US.

(and likely more)

The most recent attack was a terrorist attack. The most recent attack was a homegrown/lone wolf mass shooting. The most recent attack was a large scale hate crime. This doesn't fit tidily into any one political narrative. We have created for ourselves, an environment that cultivates such events. Not only through our own actions/inactions in our own country, but also our actions/inactions over recent history in other areas of the world. It's up to us to do what it takes to fix this. Unfortunately we are too busy fighting amongst ourselves for political points.

It's interesting watching you guys put so many words in the mouths of collective 'left'.

(and likely more)

The most recent attack was a terrorist attack. The most recent attack was a homegrown/lone wolf mass shooting. The most recent attack was a large scale hate crime. This doesn't fit tidily into any one political narrative. We have created for ourselves, an environment that cultivates such events. Not only through our own actions/inactions in our own country, but also our actions/inactions over recent history in other areas of the world. It's up to us to do what it takes to fix this. Unfortunately we are too busy fighting amongst ourselves for political points.

And yet this happened in Paris, Tel Aviv, Belgium, Sydney, Ottawa and other examples that don't come to mind right now.

So what's the cause for that?

Mass shootings aren't generally as common in other parts of the developed world. That being said, terrorist attacks are a worry in many parts of the world. Like I said, this is multi faceted. It isn't *just* a terrorist thing, not here anyways. It's not like Muslims are the only ones shooting up people here.

(and likely more)

It's equally interesting watching the left put words in the mouth of the right.

Really, the entire country's just getting disgustingly hateful. It's becoming increasingly acceptable to believe that those you disagree with are legitimate targets for violence. That does not bode well for November 8.

Mass shootings aren't generally as common in other parts of the developed world. That being said, terrorist attacks are a worry in many parts of the world. Like I said, this is multi faceted. It isn't *just* a terrorist thing, not here anyways. It's not like Muslims are the only ones shooting up people here.

I agree with you but it doesn't really help the situation to bunch them together.

IMHO this is completely different from mass shootings.

Really, the entire country's just getting disgustingly hateful. It's becoming increasingly acceptable to believe that those you disagree with are legitimate targets for violence. That does not bode well for November 8.

Bingo.

IMHO this is completely different from mass shootings.

Not really. Hateful guy feels disempowered and decides to take it out on a group whose representatives pissed him off. It's a pretty typical mass shooting, actually.

The biggest difference is that this one hits SO many hot-button political issues all at once - gays, guns, Islam, national security, Right vs. Left bigotry.

I agree with all of this.

Not really. Hateful guy feels disempowered and decides to take it out on a group whose representatives pissed him off. It's a pretty typical mass shooting, actually.

The biggest difference is that this one hits SO many hot-button political issues all at once - gays, guns, Islam, national security, Right vs. Left bigotry.

And again.

Ummm, the political left has been putting labels on people and bundling them together as "part of the problem" for years.

What you're watching, whether it's proper or not, is the political right returning the favor.

It's pretty much my favorite part of watching politics right now: the right is treating the left as the left has treated the right for years, and there aren't enough adult diapers available to keep the left from soiling themselves all day.

It's hysterical.

Not only through our own actions/inactions in our own country, but also our actions/inactions over recent history in other areas of the world. It's up to us to do what it takes to fix this. Unfortunately we are too busy fighting amongst ourselves for political points.

So what does it take to fix this?

A major war. Like Clemenza said, sometimes you need a war to let out the bad blood.

You think this is like the Army where you shoot them a mile away? No, you gotta get up close and BaddaBing! You blow their brains all over your nice North Face jacket

You think this is like the Army where you shoot them a mile away? No, you gotta get up close and BaddaBing! You blow their brains all over your nice North Face jacket

Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!

If I had a fool proof answer to this, I wouldn't be at my current job, that's for sure :lol:

My personal opinion and belief is that this problem needs to be approached from various directions, and will require a lot of patience/sacrifice. I understand the following will be heavily ridiculed, highly unpopular here, and will never come to pass within the US.

Social/Mental health side:

- Universal healthcare of some fashion, guaranteeing every individual legally in the US has access to healthcare, including mental healthcare

- Public campaign to stem the social stigma of 'talking about your problems'. A lot of people bottle things up, because they're afraid of reaching out.

- Public campaigns about equality, and treating each other better. Yes, this includes bullying. A lot of shooters are bullied kids who grow resentful into adulthood.

- Investigate wealth inequality. Does economic desperation have an impact on creating criminals?

Gun availability/ownership:

- Ban personal gun ownership, with exceptions for hunting licenses, possibly. (hunting is important to keep animal populations in check in certain areas, but could theoretically be done by the government... not too many in the US depend on hunting for their main source of meat anymore)

- Put major restrictions on gun manufacturing, limiting who the guns may be sold to

- Give tax credits for guns currently in circulation, when turned in (money talks for a lot of people)

Foreign Affairs:

- Lessen our participation in foreign affairs, in general. In simplistic terms, the Taliban/Al Qaeda were a result of intervention during the Cold War, and ISIS from the Iraq War. If we never got involved in either, its very possible resentment doesn't grow into extremism that we see today. Would there still be a boat load of very conservative Muslims? Yes. But they'd be focusing on being sexist in their own countries, instead of blowing up/shooting up western cities. "Freeing" certain societies can come back to bite us in the ass, and they have.

None of the above are likely to happen here. So I generally support things like better background checks, regulations on what sorts of guns are allowed for 'home protection', locally funded health clinics, social media campaigns promoting equality/anti bullying, etc. These would be baby steps in the right direction, but baby steps are better than no steps. Also, I understand that no matter how peaceful things are, there will always be extremists looking to cause damage. But my hope is, if we create a more peaceful society, in general, that the amount of extremism will lessen, and with some regulation/law adjustments, the extremists who do want to cause damage will have a more difficult time obtaining the tools necessary to do so.

At the end of the day, we have to take a serious look at ourselves, and ask if inaction/political games are worth the human cost.

I'll take my lumps now ;)

Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw awhile back. It was 2/3rd of the Pep Boys logo with just Manny & Jack, and that line from Godfather II. :lol:

Well seeing many of the guns that are owned illegally on the streets are gotten through break-ins I am 100% behind arresting someone with that kind of arsenal that's not properly stored/locked up.

!@#$ing sensationalist media crap again BTW. Cops Arrest Man for Having Too Much Ammo, Guns. Uhhhh........no. <_<

skip to bacm

If I had a fool proof answer to this, I wouldn't be at my current job, that's for sure :lol:

My personal opinion and belief is that this problem needs to be approached from various directions, and will require a lot of patience/sacrifice. I understand the following will be heavily ridiculed, highly unpopular here, and will never come to pass within the US.

Social/Mental health side:

- Universal healthcare of some fashion, guaranteeing every individual legally in the US has access to healthcare, including mental healthcare

I'd like to just make a point (I haven't read your whole post because I'm watching the game but this one jumped out at me).

In Canada, we have Universal Health Care and yet mental health services are very expensive. Canada is a country with 30 M people and a relatively strong economy. Tell me how you would put that solution on a country with 300 M people?

I'd like to just make a point (I haven't read your whole post because I'm watching the game but this one jumped out at me).

In Canada, we have Universal Health Care and yet mental health services are very expensive. Canada is a country with 30 M people and a relatively strong economy. Tell me how you would put that solution on a country with 300 M people?

Unfortunately, I can't. My opinions are relatively uneducated, so I can't provide details on how specifically to implement them. To me, mental healthcare isn't a whole lot different than providing long term physical rehabilitative therapy.

I don't believe there has been any reporting on the actions or status of the armed security guard that was in the Pulse nightclub?

An off-duty cop was the club's security. He engaged the deranged assassin in a gun fight and called for help. The shooter held up in a bathroom with hostages. The cops finally blew out the walls and some of the hostages and the **** came out. The mother&#33;@#&#036;er was then engaged by about 11 cops and shot dead.

Well....................here's a question for them.

If the Orlando shooter doesn't represent all Muslims, then why does he represent all gun owners?

This is the argument that must be pursued. "Only a tiny fraction of Muslims act this way - and they aren't representative of the religion. Well then, only a tiny fraction of American gun owners commit violent acts with their guns - and they aren't representative of the NRA or the vast majority of law abiding American gun owners."

And yet this happened in Paris, Tel Aviv, Belgium, Sydney, Ottawa and other examples that don't come to mind right now.

So what's the cause for that?

Obviously their extremely strict gun laws must be made even more strict. Because when people can't buy guns legally, and they really, really want them - they'll go to illegal gun dealers who have a **** load more firepower for sale than say, you could even find at a Virginia gun show.

Gee. I wonder what the common thingy is. Could it be migrating Christians? Registered Republicans? Sure. You got it. It's the NRA in Paris, and Brussels and London.

Obviously it'll take a massive implementation of putting metal detectors in every nightclub in America. You know, it must be Hill/Bill's plan to revive the economy - just like the "Clinton" economic boom leading up to the year 2000 that was fueled by the Y2K bug. It cost business and the governments billions. This could be just the thing they'd need to get the economy swimming in a new Democrat GDP revival.

Can I get a Howard Dean, "Yeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"?

An off-duty cop was the club's security. He engaged the deranged assassin in a gun fight and called for help. The shooter held up in a bathroom with hostages. The cops finally blew out the walls and some of the hostages and the **** came out. The mother!@#$er was then engaged by about 11 cops and shot dead.

This is the argument that must be pursued. "Only a tiny fraction of Muslims act this way - and they aren't representative of the religion. Well then, only a tiny fraction of American gun owners commit violent acts with their guns - and they aren't representative of the NRA or the vast majority of law abiding American gun owners."

Obviously their extremely strict gun laws must be made even more strict. Because when people can't buy guns legally, and they really, really want them - they'll go to illegal gun dealers who have a **** load more firepower for sale than say, you could even find at a Virginia gun show.

Gee. I wonder what the common thingy is. Could it be migrating Christians? Registered Republicans? Sure. You got it. It's the NRA in Paris, and Brussels and London.

Obviously it'll take a massive implementation of putting metal detectors in every nightclub in America. You know, it must be Hill/Bill's plan to revive the economy - just like the "Clinton" economic boom leading up to the year 2000 that was fueled by the Y2K bug. It cost business and the governments billions. This could be just the thing they'd need to get the economy swimming in a new Democrat GDP revival.

Can I get a Howard Dean, "Yeeeeeehhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"?

You forgot to put the spoiler tag lol.

Edited by meazza

Gun control advocates hit the airwaves...immediately make fools of themselves.

Last and certainly least came Florida Democratic Representative Alan Grayson with a shocking fact about the AR-15. “If [the shooter] was who he was, and he was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive,” he said solemnly on CNN.

This is a common assertion from those who, again, have only a limited knowledge of guns and misunderstand common terms. The cyclic rate of fire from an AR-15 is indeed around 700 rounds a minute, but that’s just how quickly the mechanics of the gun move the next bullet into place and allow it to be fired. Again, semi-automatic guns still require you to pull the trigger with each shot.

One conservative on Twitter offered Grayson $500,000 if he could fire an AR-15 700 times a minute, but don’t expect him to collect. You would need to pull the trigger more than ten times a second just to fire off that many shots. And that’s assuming you have a magical, non-existent 700-round magazine rather than the standard 30.

There was a brilliantly ignorant piece on Gawker about how the AR-15 shouldn't be available to the public, because it's a magical weapon that literally makes people explode, according to a single seven page Vietnam-era "study" that tried and failed to convince GI's that the early M-16 wasn't a complete piece of ****.

Yes, literally explode. Not a Bidenesque "figuratively literally" explode. A literal "literally explode."

House Democrats chant "where's the bill" on the House floor for gun control legislation http://cnn.it/236g2HX

Please......................run on this issue dems !

Hey Chuck Schumer..............

Remember during the Bush administration when the terrorist watch list was unconstitutional & riddled with mistakes?

sure you do.............

Please......................run on this issue dems !

Hey Chuck Schumer..............

Remember during the Bush administration when the terrorist watch list was unconstitutional & riddled with mistakes?

sure you do.............

Funny. They had full control of the WH, house and senate and did they do gun control then?

No.

They chose the abortion that is Obamacare, and the Stimulus.

Fuggin' morons. Nothing but a bunch of morons.

What did the French government propose after the Paris attacks?

-first of all, the closed the border to Muslims.

-second, since they can't ban any more guns, they tried to ban... the internet. 'Cause the internet creates terrorists.

This is the liberal mind. Beware.

"I teach the Constitution for a living. I revere the document when it is used to further social justice and make our country a more inclusive one."

At least he admits that he only likes certain parts of the Constitution. Screw the rest, amirite?

God, I hope he doesn't really teach Constitutional law. What an ignorant pile of tripe that was.

I suspect he just self-identifies as someone who teaches Constitutional Law.

Much like Rolling Stone self-identifies as a news magazine.