Cancer

Left a day early as i could not stop thinking her. Went to doctor with her next day, will always remember him telling her"this is end of days Gen, we need to only think about pain management now" . Her response was "i am not taking those meds, people get hooked on them to quick"

LOL,still makes me laugh, crazy lady passed 4 days later, in her bed, with all her family around.

That reminds me of my grandmother. 94 years old, at a regular check-up, she asks the doctor if she should worry about her cholesterol. We tell her "You're 94, you could eat a stick of butter a day. Hell, you should take up smoking, for all it matters."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to cancer. Lost my uncle, who was like a second father, in May, on his 68th birthday no less. Bad infection that wouldn't clear which sucked because his scans prior looked promising. Was hoping he'd make it to 2015 and somehow get him enrolled in those Kanzius human trial that were slated to begin, but I knew time wasn't on our side.

• 5 months later...

I hesitate to throw this out there because I don't want to make this about me, but...I was diagnosed with CLL in 2010. If you're going to have a cancer I suppose that this is the one to get. It is relatively slow moving and I've been able to carry on a normal life. My immune system is totally screwed up and I've had more trouble with autoimmune issues. One time my body attacked my platelets and my count went very low. Earlier this year I decided that my red blood cells were bad so my body decided to go on the attack. Six units of blood later (a very very tough cross match...please, donate blood if you can) I was back on my feet. My immuoglobulin levels are always low, very low. In the winter months I receive IGG infusions, a ridiculously expensive proposition if I didn't have insurance (and another plea to donate blood...) there's no way I could afford them. Anyway, back to the purpose of this post...you made a blanket statement above, whether intended or not. From the time I was diagnosed with CLL the plan was to not have to undergo chemo. I was diagnosed at a relatively young age and the side effects of chemo could have become an issue down the road (again, I'm lucky, I have time). Last fall I went on an experimental infusion that did bring my white count down to decent levels. Earlier this year I was lucky enough to join a study at OSU. The medication I take is in the form of a capsule taken twice a day. The worst side effect is that it further lowers my immune system, but I'm hanging in there. When I started the treatment my white count was around 150K. It is now in the low 30's and the expectation is that it will come down to normal levels. So, my point is, there is hope out there. I'll kick this and this treatment (and better ones to come) is the reason why (the cancer will likely always be there, just in check). Again...I'm lucky. Mine is slow so I have/had time to let research do its work. Not everyone is so lucky and I understand that. Hat's off to your mom, I applaud her. I too always hope that what I've gone through helps someone down the road.

So, now you know why my response in threads like this is always two simple words...cancer sucks. I'm lucky to have the support of a wonderful family. Around the house I'm called the deaf leukemia guy. None of us is going to let cancer get the last word and none of us is going to let it get us down.

Fight on!

White count within the normal range today (9,000), first time since 2010.

Great to hear! There are some pretty good treatments for CLL these days, but it does play havoc on the immune system.

Best friend from high school died a year or so ago of liver cancer. He was around 50. I attribute his to his lifestyle choices.

Welcome back honky. :D

:thumbsup:

And he swore me to secrecy but I can't hold back.........the pills and infusions probably didn't hurt but.......Sammy used the Googlebot to develop what he calls a "highly genetified strain of cancero autobot nano crushers". I don't know what that means exactly but it may be what killed off that cancer. That is why he pissed on you every time you fell asleep. It is delivered through the skin.

The bad news? Some of it uses hamster genes and a small part of you is now hamster. I know what you're thinking and no it is not that part...despite how it may appear.

The little guy really is a pretty good dude when all is said and done.

:thumbsup:

And he swore me to secrecy but I can't hold back.........the pills and infusions probably didn't hurt but.......Sammy used the Googlebot to develop what he calls a "highly genetified strain of cancero autobot nano crushers". I don't know what that means exactly but it may be what killed off that cancer. That is why he pissed on you every time you fell asleep. It is delivered through the skin.

The bad news? Some of it uses hamster genes and a small part of you is now hamster. I know what you're thinking and no it is not that part...despite how it may appear.

The little guy really is a pretty good dude when all is said and done.

:lol: