Cancer

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

the week started off going to a brewery north of the philly area with a co-worker who was celebrating beating breast cancer.

Then came tuesday....

- got an email, a friend was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, checking on the options,

- next day a childhood friend texts that he was just diagnosed with early stages of prostrate, prognosis looks great for him.

- Later in the morning another childhood friend is diagnosed with 1st stages of breast cancer, again, prognosis very positive.

- go to have a beer for my friends, my friend, also a bartender there is sitting there, I sit next to her, we chat and she tells me she is on that side of the bar because she just found out that day her mother, a breast cancer survivor, was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she underwent surgery yesterday, prognosis still unknown.

- talk to another former work friend, her mother has been fighting anal cancer, she began chemo and radiation on wednesday, again, prognosis unknown at this time

- fast forward to this afternoon, my buddy diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on tuesday finds out the cancer he DIDN'T have 3 months ago is an aggressive form and has gotten to his liver....he is given 3-6 months doing nothing, 14 months if he decides to make his final days comfortable, he opts for the short term.....3 frigging months ago no cancer...today he ONLY has 3 months to live.....

I know my dealing with these emotions is nothing compared to what they or anyone who has this disease is dealing with, but WTF......

and yes i know my attachment can be considered vulgar, I am prepared to accept warning points or a ban if it comes to that, but frankly I don't know how else to express my feelings right now.

and yes i know my attachment can be considered vulgar, I am prepared to accept warning points or a ban if it comes to that, but frankly I don't know how else to express my feelings right now.

I vote that that particular usage be considered "not at all obscene."

My mum was in the hospital the past week and got home today.

A more "aggressive"-drug course of chemo was tried and didn't do anything for the liver. A CT report said it was 25-30% lesions. There were also new lesions on her lungs. They implanted radioactive seeds a few weeks ago and those have not shrunken them either... in fact, they've grown. I'm not sure what the options are now. She has lost SO much weight in the past two years of fighting this sh-- and it seems like she's starting to go downhill now. We're going to be having a nuclear-family meeting. It looks like things from now on are going to be about making her comfortable and pain management.

Poojer, that graphic isn't vulgar or ban-able or anything. Insofar as a response to cancer, that sums it up. And that WOULD be my nice words to this horrible disease.

I lost my Mom to Breast Cancer in December 2008. This time of year is really hard on me and especially my Dad because the last time we all (Mom, Dad, my brother and I) sat down together to a "family dinner" was Thanksgiving 2008.

Mom was diagnosed in December 2006 and given 6 months to live, but made it almost 2 years. So if you or anyone you love is diagnosed with Cancer take that diagnosis and run with it as far as you can

Edited by /dev/null

Cancer is a bastard; I have no other way to say it that sounds right.

That said, don't accept anyone's life expectancy projection. I know multiple people that were given VERY limited time and are alive, well, and/or in complete remission today many years later.

Please please please do not let anyone give up based on a medical opinion, regardless of what treatment they might or might not choose.

This op-ed piece ran in our local paper a couple weeks ago. It's very thought-provoking. It is - in no way - any kind of personal endorsement. I have always said - and told my wife - that if I was ever diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer, that I would not do chemo or radiation and I would just live my life to the fullest until my time came. Bottom line ... it's easy for me to say that because, thank God, I've never had to make that decision.

I just found this to be a very good op-ed and wanted to share.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-zamichow-cancer-treatment-20141026-story.html

Cancer sucks :(

Just recently learned that one of my closest friends in the world has brain cancer. He said it was a Primary Glioblastoma tumor. He was with his wife at Landmark Theater for a show, had a violent seizure and collapsed, and was taken away in an ambulance. Never had a serious health problem in his life.

They attempted surgery, but we're unsuccessful. Prognosis is 3-6 months to live. Will spend that time undergoing aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Also he has a chance to receive an "experimental" treatment at Duke University Hospital. He says "fu** it man, I'm going down swinging." Has 2 little boys...5 and 3.

Cancer sucks...

Also he has a chance to receive an "experimental" treatment at Duke University Hospital.

Does he and his family understand that "experimental" treatments are not meant to save his life?

Not trying to discourage anyone from participating, far from it. But understand what they're getting into. My Mom practically begged and pleaded to have the Kanzius treatment applied to her near the end. She accepted that she was going to die but thought if her Cancer could be turned around to help others it was well worth it.

Does he and his family understand that "experimental" treatments are not meant to save his life?

Not trying to discourage anyone from participating, far from it. But understand what they're getting into. My Mom practically begged and pleaded to have the Kanzius treatment applied to her near the end. She accepted that she was going to die but thought if her Cancer could be turned around to help others it was well worth it.

I hesitate to throw this out there because I don't want to make this about me, but...I was diagnosed with CLL in 2010. If you're going to have a cancer I suppose that this is the one to get. It is relatively slow moving and I've been able to carry on a normal life. My immune system is totally screwed up and I've had more trouble with autoimmune issues. One time my body attacked my platelets and my count went very low. Earlier this year I decided that my red blood cells were bad so my body decided to go on the attack. Six units of blood later (a very very tough cross match...please, donate blood if you can) I was back on my feet. My immuoglobulin levels are always low, very low. In the winter months I receive IGG infusions, a ridiculously expensive proposition if I didn't have insurance (and another plea to donate blood...) there's no way I could afford them. Anyway, back to the purpose of this post...you made a blanket statement above, whether intended or not. From the time I was diagnosed with CLL the plan was to not have to undergo chemo. I was diagnosed at a relatively young age and the side effects of chemo could have become an issue down the road (again, I'm lucky, I have time). Last fall I went on an experimental infusion that did bring my white count down to decent levels. Earlier this year I was lucky enough to join a study at OSU. The medication I take is in the form of a capsule taken twice a day. The worst side effect is that it further lowers my immune system, but I'm hanging in there. When I started the treatment my white count was around 150K. It is now in the low 30's and the expectation is that it will come down to normal levels. So, my point is, there is hope out there. I'll kick this and this treatment (and better ones to come) is the reason why (the cancer will likely always be there, just in check). Again...I'm lucky. Mine is slow so I have/had time to let research do its work. Not everyone is so lucky and I understand that. Hat's off to your mom, I applaud her. I too always hope that what I've gone through helps someone down the road.

So, now you know why my response in threads like this is always two simple words...cancer sucks. I'm lucky to have the support of a wonderful family. Around the house I'm called the deaf leukemia guy. None of us is going to let cancer get the last word and none of us is going to let it get us down.

Fight on!

Is it just me or do you guys think there is a lot of it nowadays. I know two people. One has Pancreatic cancer, a really bad one I think. Another has Liver Cancer. I don't think there is much hope for both these people. What do guys think you can do to battle Liver cancer and Pacreatic cancer? Anyone know anybody or knew anyone that beat this awful disease or lost the battle? Somebody told me the Pancreas is the worst place to get cancer. Not good.

Moringa oleifera, and according to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center’s website, both in vitro and animal studies show that the leaf, seed and root extracts of this plant contain anticancer benefits – and more.

In fact, Moringa shows every sign of being a potent superfood that provides a vast array of nutrients in one, neat package. It looks like a good way to make up for our tendency not to eat enough vegetables.

http://www.cancerdef...-fighting/2956/

http://www.cancerdefeated.com/

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Cancer sucks :(

Just recently learned that one of my closest friends in the world has brain cancer. He said it was a Primary Glioblastoma tumor. He was with his wife at Landmark Theater for a show, had a violent seizure and collapsed, and was taken away in an ambulance. Never had a serious health problem in his life.

They attempted surgery, but we're unsuccessful. Prognosis is 3-6 months to live. Will spend that time undergoing aggressive chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Also he has a chance to receive an "experimental" treatment at Duke University Hospital. He says "fu** it man, I'm going down swinging." Has 2 little boys...5 and 3.

Cancer sucks...

:cry:

Tell your friend to roundhouse kick cancer in the face :thumbsup: