Mark Brunell: Marrone bringing Saints O to Bills

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught part of Brunell's comments, but not about the Bills--he was talking about coaching in general. They also had Bledsoe on talking about Ralph ("he immediately reminds you of your grandfather"), so maybe it was Bills Day there yesterday....

In that he had an odd smell and muttered about the old days? :D

I don't know if this is just frustration or what clouding your reality of the situation, but this is completely untrue. I honestly don't even remember Spiller returning a single kick but perhaps he did. However, he never had incedible plays followed by nothing the next week, by design. He was injured for at least half of the season, tried to play through it, and was given a limited work load to help him through it. This is a "grey area" where the coaches were looking for more from Spiller, but it was his injury that limited his production on the field. Don't try to slide it into the easier to understand black and white narrative of "Spiller sucks" and "the coaches are incompetent". The situation was compromised by injury, and we diid not see his full production potential. I'm tired of hearing this major contributing factor being ignored to further a preconceived agenda.

I was talking about bush in New Orleans. If we are looking south to see pros and cons of what we may see - a guy like cj might not see proper use based on the trouble that bush had in New Orleans. You'd see the freak athletic ability but at times it was frustrating seeing it not work consistently - some being a young back adjusting but also some scheme/playcalling. There's be weeks he'd get 2-3 slow misdirection carries, 1-2 stretches in obvious running situations, and everything else would be in the slot with an occasional reverse or fake (plus of course punt returns).

It'll be interesting to see if marrone can figure out that type of back. As a cj fan, and having been to my share of saints games here in New Orleans, I'm curious to see it. I've often compared Fred/cj to Thomas/bush - even before marrone was here.

Edited by NoSaint

I'll take Gaileys O over Marrones .

Why? Its funny to read this type of stuff. I honestly think some Bills fans want to believe Gailey was much better because they dont want to admit Fitzpatrick is better than Manuel. But its ok to admit Fitz is better because Manuel is just starting his career.

As for Spiller, well he only played Spiller when there was an injury and he didnt know really what to do with him when there wasnt an injury.

I'll take Gaileys O over Marrones .

I would be pleased if Doug was able to take some of Gaileys Offensive playbook and apply it to the currrent team. !

Bite me. Couldnt care less if I get banned. These boards are a waste of time anyway

obviously

Respectfully, I disagree. Gailey could still be an OC somewhere, but just not a head coach. He knew what we had on the team in terms of our line, RB's and Fitz's limitations.

He tried to use Spiller with a spread offense and somewhat porous line, and a Qb that is only accurate up to about 12 yards. I was ready to move on from Gailey, but can still appreciate what he tried to accomplish while here.

Marrone is more fortunate in that he has more talent, but he has picked mostly decent coaches especially this year.

Bite me. Couldnt care less if I get banned. These boards are a waste of time anyway

If they are a waste of time, then just go away. Kelly 83 is decent guy from his posts, so obviously you don't read these threads.

Respectfully, I disagree. Gailey could still be an OC somewhere, but just not a head coach. He knew what we had on the team in terms of our line, RB's and Fitz's limitations.

He tried to use Spiller with a spread offense and somewhat porous line, and a Qb that is only accurate up to about 12 yards. I was ready to move on from Gailey, but can still appreciate what he tried to accomplish while here.

I agree with the sentiment. There will always be two things that I wonder about from that era -

1) if luck came out a year earlier and we had a shot at cam whether we pull the trigger (I think he was the prototype that they wanted so I'd guess yes) and what the offense would've looked like with cam and spiller back there.

2) if he could've simply hired even an average defensive coordinator out of the gate. Not even top ten, just not bottom ten - so we could've actually built up talent instead of spinning wheels flipping schemes annually while chan tried to hold the offense together using scheme instead of money/picks.

Wouldn't hire him again as a head coach but those will always come to mind immediately when discussing that time period.

I don't need to see the comments by Brunell to know we're lucky to have Marrone. Unfortunately in today's NFL it's all about the players and development time isn't something afforded to today's coaches. If the players come together Marrone is the type of coach that can succeed.

Why? Its funny to read this type of stuff. I honestly think some Bills fans want to believe Gailey was much better because they dont want to admit Fitzpatrick is better than Manuel. But its ok to admit Fitz is better because Manuel is just starting his career.

As for Spiller, well he only played Spiller when there was an injury and he didnt know really what to do with him when there wasnt an injury.

Fitzpatrick is more experienced, better at reading Ds quicker at deciding and smarter about protecting him self, however EJ has a much much better arm, accuracy and touch on every throw. He's faster and a much bigger guy.

It's hard to categorically declare one as better because they are almost polar opposites with every strength and weakness today.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Anyone able to get the audio from Sirius XM with Brunell discussing Marrone and his influence on the Saints O; how he is bringing it to the Bills? Only able to get the tweets about it. Interesting since many believe he just held a clipboard in NO.

Zig Fracassi @ZigFracassi · 18h

Mark Brunell: Doug Marrone brought the #Saints offensive system to the #Bills...allows QB to have success...#NFL #SXMNFL.

Mark Brunell: #Saints system has a lot of volume & takes a lot to understand...#NFL #BillsMafia #SXMNFL.

Mark Brunell: I saw Doug Marrone put a lot of influence in #Saints offense (myth that it's totally Sean Payton's offense) #NFL #SXMNFL

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso · 12h

Interesting quotes from Mark Brunell. Not previously known Doug Marrone had big influence on Payton or that he brought Saints O to #Bills.

All these links.... I'm old. Is there an article somewhere in there?

Obviously you've got to stop with this nonsense, obviously.

Marrone is a pea-brain who got to where he is today because somebody else made it happen.

He's done nothing to warrant his current position, nor that anyone should have the least faith that he'll actually produce results. [/s]

Are all 15700 of your posts this stupid? I know. Here comes the big bad moderator to warn me that I shouldnt be insulting other posters. Why dont you spend some time warning people not to be morons!!!!

Nanker, sir, you never cease to make me laugh.

Are all 15700 of your posts this stupid? I know. Here comes the big bad moderator to warn me that I shouldnt be insulting other posters. Why dont you spend some time warning people not to be morons!!!!

Sir, I do believe you have just slipped and fallen into a Sar Chasm of Nanker's making

at the very least, it would have been comforting to have someone hold my hand and tell me it's all gonna be ok that time i accidentally stumbled upon the ppp board.

You don't need someone to hold your hand for that. A disinfectant bath would be a propos

Edited by Hopeful