NFL: Television vs Stadium Experience

Television: Better Than the Real Thing—and Getting More So Every Year

It’s the primary means by which fans connect with football, and as technology improves—bigger screens, sharper images and magic we can only imagine right now—TV’s power and influence on the NFL will only grow

Great article from Richard Deitsch of theMMQB.com

Rich Deitsch: Even Better Than the Real Thing <20:51>

Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch joined The John Murphy Show to discuss his recent article regarding the future of NFL viewing on TV and how technology could make the game that much more impressive.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the NFL stadium experience has boiled down to getting hammered or having to deal with all the others around you that are hammered. It's just not something that appeals to me even though I would prefer being there from a football aspect. I live in Charlotte now so I don't make that choice every week but I always chose not to go when I return home and I never make a special trip to go to a game. Not sure how Buffalo compares to most stadiums but I do know games in Charlotte are a lot more tame. I know I know you'll say their fans don't compare to ours and you're right they don't, but it is for me the much better game time experience because the fans are not able to get too out of control. JMO

Attending the game live vs. watching it on television? I don't care how impressive your television is, there is no comparison.

this. No argument. Not even close. Never will be. I don't care if they come out with a TV that can drip player sweat on you, smell like fresh cut grass and snow in your living room. It'll never even be close to an argument.

The stadium experience includes seeing more field. Which allows you to see plays develop. On TV you only see what's in the frame, and they dictate what your seeing. I went to a game in Miami several years ago, Terrance McGee took the opening kickoff in for a TD. From where I was sitting you could see the hole, and see it was going to happen.You don't see that hole on TV..... Then I got to high five random strangers also dressed in Bills gear. Stadium experience is better then TV IMO.

While a great thing TV, will never replace being there and enjoying the moment with 70,000 of your best new friends.

This.

Attending the game live vs. watching it on television? I don't care how impressive your television is, there is no comparison.

And this.

this. No argument. Not even close. Never will be. I don't care if they come out with a TV that can drip player sweat on you, smell like fresh cut grass and snow in your living room. It'll never even be close to an argument.

:lol:

I'll add one more thing that gives attending a game the edge over watching it on TV: NO COMMERCIALS!

I'll add one more thing that gives attending a game the edge over watching it on TV: NO COMMERCIALS!

Actually, one thing which detracts from the in stadium experience is that from time to time, the officials will call a TV timeout if the regular game flow has not given them enough down time to run all he commercials they have sold.

I know refs call them in a manner designed to minimize momentum shifts and game flow, but this tends to happen more in tight low-scoring less penalized games and it is noticeably annoying or may come at a good or bad time in regard to players getting a rest or recovering from injury.

The stadium experience includes seeing more field. Which allows you to see plays develop. On TV you only see what's in the frame, and they dictate what your seeing. I went to a game in Miami several years ago, Terrance McGee took the opening kickoff in for a TD. From where I was sitting you could see the hole, and see it was going to happen.You don't see that hole on TV..... Then I got to high five random strangers also dressed in Bills gear. Stadium experience is better then TV IMO.

This sums it up imho. Stadium allows you to have a much better overview of the game versus television being great in being able to see more detail in plays.

This.

And this.

:lol:

Yes, to all these!

And, they are adding wifi, red zone scoreboards, better bathrooms and consessions this year.

TV > Stadium as Technology continues to improve...

All Pros (When watching on a big screen in your basement with wonderful surround sound)

- Get to watch with your best friends and family without paying for each one of them

- Beer costs 20% of what you pay at the stadium (and that too for very limited crap)

- Anything else that you would buy would cost 10% at your local grocery store.

- Go out and play with your kids once the game is done, instead of sitting in a parking lot or thruway or beltway for the next two hours.

The "Whole field view" is way over rated. The actual play is on for 2-3 seconds and very few people usually spot "holes" and open WRs. You can hardly see where the ball is, especially when you sitting way up in the upper decks.

- Cold Weather. Horrible! Horrible!

What you get for being at the stadium:

- A chance to meet players as they enter/leave stadium and get autographs

- To be part of (always emotional) renderings of National Anthems.

- To be able to watch the half-time shows by Celebrities.

To me the NFL stadium experience has boiled down to getting hammered or having to deal with all the others around you that are hammered. It's just not something that appeals to me even though I would prefer being there from a football aspect. I live in Charlotte now so I don't make that choice every week but I always chose not to go when I return home and I never make a special trip to go to a game. Not sure how Buffalo compares to most stadiums but I do know games in Charlotte are a lot more tame. I know I know you'll say their fans don't compare to ours and you're right they don't, but it is for me the much better game time experience because the fans are not able to get too out of control. JMO

I'm sort of where you are now. Used to attend at least one game a year from out of town. I love the tailgating experience, mingling with other fans both friends and strangers, along with the 'live' game experience. But I absolutely do not want to deal with the plastered idiots, shouting profanities, staggering around, and making a general nuasance of themselves.

I really dislike out of control behavior, and I go to every opener where you really see the "amateurs", but I have to say that I've rarely seen ridiculous behavior. When I do I just turn my back to it or walk away. I just haven't seen anything bad enough to detract from the energy and excitement of being there live. It might also depend on where you sit in the stadium.

I don't do it often these days but I love going to a live game no matter the sport -- it's always feels like a big event. Yes the TV experience keeps getting better and the hassles of the stadium experience (longer games with more downtime, more security, more restrictions, etc) keep getting worse, but those details don't compare to the community experience of being at a game. All a matter of personal preference.

how about stadium experience in december when we are already eliminated vs watching on tv? the last cold weather game i went to was that night game when we played the Pats back when they had Randy Moss and they ran up the score on us. I think they even went for it on 4th down a few times even though they were blowing us out. it was miserable. i haven't been to a december home game since. love the stadium experience in sept and oct though. but until we have a good team again then ill stay home when the weather gets bad. i remember going to plenty of cold games in the early 90's with my grandpa. it didn't seem as cold when we were winning!

Couldn't agree with you more. For some reason many fans seem to think that the only way to watch a game is by being inebriated. I also don't care for the way that opposing fans get treated at games sometimes, and fans that have done nothing to antagonize the home crowd, that didn't used to be that way either. I'll add that fans today spew obscene language that's pretty impossible to avoid, and I'm not talking about traditional chants of bullsiht that aren't a big deal, but really lewd, vulgar, and crass stuff that disallows any concerned parent from taking their small kids. I took my 5-year old son years ago and decided that I simply couldn't take him to games anymore because of that and haven't been back since now that I'm a family man. I realize that they have a so-called "family section," but it's a siht section that's among the worst seats in the stadium.

The game day experience has changed significantly from the '80s and '90s in that way. Maybe it's because we would win, but the era of all the playoff games, and not limited to playoff games, was golden and fun without all the lewdness and over the top drunkeness.

Also, the TV timeouts impact going to the games too. You sit there and wait and wait and wait for that guy with the red glove on to step off the field and sometimes it's several minutes with players just standing around on the field, etc. with absolutely no reason for it besides commercials. If you're not watching the guy with the glove you'd think that the game's going to start any second, but it is often 60-120 seconds more before the game gets going while you're sitting there with your thumb up your a##.

I prefer to watch streams on my laptop. The size of the picture is bigger than a huge TV 15 feet away because it's 20" from my face, and when commercials pop up I can do something else, read some articles, or surf the web, or even get some work done.