NFL: Television vs Stadium Experience

But the other element within the fan experience is it's being diminished by the excessive drinking and subsequent behavior. Again this isn't something I'm trying to convince anyone of, I'm just saying for me it's not worth dealing with.

to each their own I guess but I personally feel that this argument is over exaggerated by a country mile. It has been bad at times there is no doubt. But for the amount that this argument comes up, you'd think that the entirety of the stands are falling down and puking all over each other every single game. It's simply not the case. Id say there's probably one example of this in each section of the end zones. And probably one in each section of the upper decks. It most likely doesn't happen in between the 20s. And in all actuality, it's not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. But then again I wasn't raised under a rock nor do I live my life that way now.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the other element within the fan experience is it's being diminished by the excessive drinking and subsequent behavior. Again this isn't something I'm trying to convince anyone of, I'm just saying for me it's not worth dealing with.

You're not following what I'm saying. That would be like me saying OK, let's take the high def TV with replays out of the equation for the stay at homers.

to each their own I guess but I personally feel that this argument is over exaggerated by a country mile. It has been bad at times there is no doubt. But for the amount that this argument comes up, you'd think that the entirety of the stands are falling down and puking all over each other every single game. It's simply not the case. Id say there's probably one example of this in each section of the end zones. And probably one in each section of the upper decks. It most likely doesn't happen in between the 20s. And in all actuality, it's not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. But then again I wasn't raised under a rock nor do I live my life that way now.

I agree............Man, you'd think my father should have been taken up on child abuse charges by taking me to MNF games in the 70s. Those were so much more insane than any game is now.

You're not following what I'm saying. That would be like me saying OK, let's take the high def TV with replays out of the equation for the stay at homers.

I agree............Man, you'd think my father should have been taken up on child abuse charges by taking me to MNF games in the 70s. Those were so much more insane than any game is now.

yup. Agree with you 100%.

It's not that dealing with the drinks or any other argument isn't valid. The argument is, that the game day experience has all that. But it also has the joy of jumping up and down on your seats with 70,000 other fans when we score a TD. There's nothing that comes close to the excitement at home when your in the end zone sections and the Bills are at the 50 and they throw a deep ball to a wide open WR right in front if you. NOTHING!!! Compares to that feeling.

If someone doesn't understand that, or feel that way. Or a few drunks make it that miserable for them, so be it. I don't want those people at the stadium anyway. Those are the people that complain that your standing in front of them when it's not just you it's the entire section. Those are the people that complain that your banging their seat from behind when everyone else in the row is doing it to the bench. Even if I stop, it doesn't matter. You bought the ticket in the rowdiest part of the stadium. Deal with the experience. If you want to aot down with your hands on your lap the entire game and give a proper high five when we score, take your @$$ to the club seats. There's a reason why these end zone seats are the cheapest in the stadium.

I'm all for tailgating and partying before the games but the latest generation of 18-23 years olds attending the games can't handle their booze and are at an all-time obnoxiousness.

Thats what the 40 year old said when you were 18-23, and it is what these folks who are 18-23 years will be saying in 15 years. Called getting old...welcome to my world!

I am with several others here who believe the games were much more out of hand in the 70's and 80's than they are today. You Should have been in that stadium when we were 16 and bringing in a beerball, legally, with a ticket. When they sold 36 ounce beers all game long, and even had beer vendors in the aisle so lazy asses like me did not have to leave our seats to get beers.

Hope i am around and still posting in 2030...when people are clamoring for the game day experience of 2014, when people knew how to behave themselves and handle their alcohol.

Haha - that's exactly what it'll be like!................Just looking at what you're saying is pretty much proof enough. No 2 beer limit, no ending of beer sales, beerballs! I remember entire sections fighting - not just two drunk aholes.

And, mrags - nothing does compare to that. That's why they always show the ecstatic fans immediately after a touchdown.

Haha - that's exactly what it'll be like!................Just looking at what you're saying is pretty much proof enough. No 2 beer limit, no ending of beer sales, beerballs! I remember entire sections fighting - not just two drunk aholes.

And, mrags - nothing does compare to that. That's why they always show the ecstatic fans immediately after a touchdown.

Those 36 OZ Jumbos were really friggen hard to carry one in each hand. My junior and senior yr in high school i washed dishes in the local Chinese restaurant, and i can clearly remember two of those jumbos =4 hrs washing dishes. Well worth it though :thumbsup:

yup. Agree with you 100%.

It's not that dealing with the drinks or any other argument isn't valid. The argument is, that the game day experience has all that. But it also has the joy of jumping up and down on your seats with 70,000 other fans when we score a TD. There's nothing that comes close to the excitement at home when your in the end zone sections and the Bills are at the 50 and they throw a deep ball to a wide open WR right in front if you. NOTHING!!! Compares to that feeling.

If someone doesn't understand that, or feel that way. Or a few drunks make it that miserable for them, so be it. I don't want those people at the stadium anyway. Those are the people that complain that your standing in front of them when it's not just you it's the entire section. Those are the people that complain that your banging their seat from behind when everyone else in the row is doing it to the bench. Even if I stop, it doesn't matter. You bought the ticket in the rowdiest part of the stadium. Deal with the experience. If you want to aot down with your hands on your lap the entire game and give a proper high five when we score, take your @$$ to the club seats. There's a reason why these end zone seats are the cheapest in the stadium.

I certainly wouldn't want to put out a wide spread indictment on the entire stadiums of fans - and at the same time I don't think it's fair to say fans like me that would prefer to not go to games are the type who want you to sit down, want no banging of their chair and that you don't want in the stadium.

In full disclosure I have a relatively small amount of game day experience. I'm 39 years old and I've been to only about 15 games - of those I'd say only 5 were pleasurable experiences. One rough experience in particular was when I was somewhere around 15-16 years old my brother took me to a game (birthday gift) and 2 Jets fans were in the stands wearing Jets jerseys. Of course it started out with the entire section pointing at them saying A-hole - then these guys finally stood up for themselves and yelled something back because they were being heckled unmercifully - several (10-15) guys from this section commenced to beat the snot out of these two guys, in fact it was the worst live beating I've seen in my life. At the end they weren't moving and no one did anything about it because the mob would have turned on you (or at least it felt that way).

I've got 8-9 more terribly miserable experiences albeit not this bad from being at the stadium. All the things you describe are awesome - celebrating a TD with your fellow fans is an incredible experience, but I've got to tell you there's no way I'd take my boys into that stadium based on my small sample of experiences. I get it most people that go say hey it's no place for kids so what, but for me that ruins some of why I'd want to go.

I remember going to games in the rock pile where people were throwing beer bottles at players on the field. Just an observation in all this. And I live in Thailand now so I miss the stadium experience but not the cold or snow.

lol. I thought maybe on the crossbar.

lol. I thought maybe on the crossbar.

The guy on the crossbar with the raised arm is my friend Tim

+1 I am a long-time remote season ticket holder and can only make a few games a year but there is nothing like being at a Bills game. I have Sunday Ticket which is outstanding but it's not the same as a home Bills game. I have been at some other NFL stadiums when the Bills are visiting but it pales in comparison to the whole sun-up/sun-down game-day Bills experience. I have taken my kids (now 17 & 19) and my wife every year to a game and they always want to return. I guess I am fortunate where my tix are located because there have not been any incidents close by where we were uncomfortable. Either tailgating or inside the stadium we always encounter some unique game-day experience every time we go. Maybe it's the dead fish heads on a wire Xmas tree outside the stadium before a Fins game in December, or a player showing up at Hammer's lot after a game, or being offered some incredible grilled food outside the stadium by a couple celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving Day a day early (btw - second Monday in Oct) but I can't wait to return to a few games at the Ralph this year.

. You forgot the Bowling Hall of Famer who parks @ Hammers Lot!

I certainly wouldn't want to put out a wide spread indictment on the entire stadiums of fans - and at the same time I don't think it's fair to say fans like me that would prefer to not go to games are the type who want you to sit down, want no banging of their chair and that you don't want in the stadium.

In full disclosure I have a relatively small amount of game day experience. I'm 39 years old and I've been to only about 15 games - of those I'd say only 5 were pleasurable experiences. One rough experience in particular was when I was somewhere around 15-16 years old my brother took me to a game (birthday gift) and 2 Jets fans were in the stands wearing Jets jerseys. Of course it started out with the entire section pointing at them saying A-hole - then these guys finally stood up for themselves and yelled something back because they were being heckled unmercifully - several (10-15) guys from this section commenced to beat the snot out of these two guys, in fact it was the worst live beating I've seen in my life. At the end they weren't moving and no one did anything about it because the mob would have turned on you (or at least it felt that way).

I've got 8-9 more terribly miserable experiences albeit not this bad from being at the stadium. All the things you describe are awesome - celebrating a TD with your fellow fans is an incredible experience, but I've got to tell you there's no way I'd take my boys into that stadium based on my small sample of experiences. I get it most people that go say hey it's no place for kids so what, but for me that ruins some of why I'd want to go.

When you said that it was a small number I wasn't expecting 10 bad out of 15.

I've been to about about 5 times that spread around the league and some of the games sucked but I've never dealt with what I would qualify as a totally miserable experience in the crowd. I know they exist but I've never heard anyone report them at THAT rate. I'd be curious what the other stories are.

Social anxiety doesn't permit me to go to many games. I've been to 4 in 25 years. While I appreciate both sides of this, and did have relatively good experiences each time, I am going to point out that some people (like myself) are just wired to find a close knit group of friends in the living room watching the game to be more enjoyable. Just thinking about 80k people in the same place and all the things that *could* happen is nerve racking for me. It sounds ridiculous I know, it sounds ridiculous to me. But it is what it is.

Social anxiety doesn't permit me to go to many games. I've been to 4 in 25 years. While I appreciate both sides of this, and did have relatively good experiences each time, I am going to point out that some people (like myself) are just wired to find a close knit group of friends in the living room watching the game to be more enjoyable. Just thinking about 80k people in the same place and all the things that *could* happen is nerve racking for me. It sounds ridiculous I know, it sounds ridiculous to me. But it is what it is.

and I agree with that. The whole argument is opinion based. There's no right or wrong. It depends on what kind of person you are. At least you recognize that and refuse to go because of it. Some people are just plain stupid and go anyway thinking everyone else (70,000 other fans) should change because they want them to.

Kudos to you sir. Much respect.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I loved going to games at the Ralph. Looked forward to seeing them play liveeach week . Meeting new people and the tailgating is wonderfull.

But now that I am 50yrs old I rather stay home and watch the games for the most part. Or going to a sports bar with a huge screen. No gas, not sitting in traffic, no drunks to deal with. Don't have the free time to spend all Sunday out there like I used to. That's the main reason I guess. I try to go to at least one game a year.But that might change if the team was better.

Economics plays a part as well these days.

The first five years I had season tickets every single game was a good experience. All of my row, the row behind me, and the row ahead of me contained good people. I made the mistake of "improving my seat" years 6 and 7 and had a miserable experience. I don't mind people drinking, but harassment and physical danger is a real possibility if you are in the wrong seat. Some of my friends have had similar experiences. If you find a spot with good people I would recommend staying put. A Bills game can be the best of times or the worst of times. I do not think things have changed with time. The first five years I had season tickets I witnessed plenty of fights and verbal harassment, it just wasn't in close proximity to me.

We are actually moving this year for the first time (other than the forced move in '99). Definitely will miss the people in front of us. The ones behind us rotated, and sometimes could be aholes.

We're moving to 110 or 111 (I forget which one), so I'm assuming they'll all be sth there.

The first five years I had season tickets every single game was a good experience. All of my row, the row behind me, and the row ahead of me contained good people. I made the mistake of "improving my seat" years 6 and 7 and had a miserable experience. I don't mind people drinking, but harassment and physical danger is a real possibility if you are in the wrong seat. Some of my friends have had similar experiences. If you find a spot with good people I would recommend staying put. A Bills game can be the best of times or the worst of times. I do not think things have changed with time. The first five years I had season tickets I witnessed plenty of fights and verbal harassment, it just wasn't in close proximity to me.

I agree and also feel that the trouble makers are in the vast minority of those in attendance. But as an example I know a woman who had the misfortune to grow up in CT as a Boston sports team fan. She took her young sons to a Bills Pats* game with the kids in their Pats* jerseys. The kids, probably aged 10 +/- 2 years, were verbally abused and physically harassed both in a stadium lot and inside the stadium to the point she had to leave the game early fearing for her kids safety. Yes I know it's best not to wear an away jersey. But there is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behavior. It leads people to believe that the average intelligence of a Bills fan is somewhere in the extremely low (moron) level or lower. There could be 69,999 decent people at a Bills game, but unfortunately it only takes one major league loser to ruin it for quite a few people unlucky enough to come across him/her.

Sadly, there is no shortage of such losers at any given Bills game.

I can't imagine anyone here is one of these losers, but I would love to hear from one why they do it. Minus the "I was drunk" bull **** of course.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I agree and also feel that the trouble makers are in the vast minority of those in attendance. But as an example I know a woman who had the misfortune to grow up in CT as a Boston sports team fan. She took her young sons to a Bills Pats* game with the kids in their Pats* jerseys. The kids, probably aged 10 +/- 2 years, were verbally abused and physically harassed both in a stadium lot and inside the stadium to the point she had to leave the game early fearing for her kids safety. Yes I know it's best not to wear an away jersey. But there is absolutely no excuse for this kind of behavior. It leads people to believe that the average intelligence of a Bills fan is somewhere in the extremely low (moron) level or lower. There could be 69,999 decent people at a Bills game, but unfortunately it only takes one major league loser to ruin it for quite a few people unlucky enough to come across him/her.

Sadly, there is no shortage of such losers at any given Bills game.

I can't imagine anyone here is one of these losers, but I would love to hear from one why they do it. Minus the "I was drunk" bull **** of course.

in all fairness, unless you've NEVER been to a sporting event in your entire life, how could you not know things like this happen? I don't know your friend. I've heard stories like this in the past. People who know people heard a story. Such and such. I've witnessed those people at the games. They aren't usually as innocent as they say they are.

Again, the whole 69,999 people might be great and the 1 @$$hole ruins it for everyone makes sense. I agree. But at the same time, it goes the other way about opposing teams fans. All it takes is a group of 4-5 of away team fans and 1 in that group being an @$$hole. Of course the others in the group will all say he did nothing wrong as well.

I've seen some nasty away fans at The Ralph. From yelling. Calling Bills fans names. Degrading them. Spitting on them. Spilling beer. It goes along with the "on vacation party" type of scenario. When someone goes in vacation, be it the beach, Vegas, etc... Usually people tend to get crazy. These away team fans come into the Ralph and think they are untouchable. Like they can make an @$$ out of themselves and there's no worries about it because they are not at home.

And as many would like to add that the Canadians are always a problem at The Ralph. They are not innocent in all this. Another angle of fan that's "on vacation" yet feel like they are at home.

A good friend that work with that is part of security at stadium on game days has informed me that the majority (a huge majority) of arrests are Canadians. Take that however you'd like.