I want Trump for owner and you should too.

Is money your qualifier of intelligence? Seems by this statement that somehow the two must go hand and hand. You must be a real fan of the collective IQ of Paris Hilton, Kanye West and Justin Bieber. Those three must be Einsteins.

Point is that you can be rich and still be a moron, you just have to be good at something. Trump is good at business and self promotion. Still doesn't mean he's not a mouth breather. He may be a real estate mogul by day but at night he's taunting people thru the media like some clown. He doesn't get a pass for being a nut because he's rich, just like Bieber doesn't get a pass for being a douche because he's rich, in my world at least. Truth is that maybe he's not as dumb as he acts, maybe it's just part of his self promotion. Maybe suing Bill Maher to prove that his mother isn't really an orangutan was just another self promotion, or maybe he really wants the world to know his mom was a human and Bill Maher was wrong. Either way it's moronic.

Speaking of idiotic, do people even understand what billionaire means? Justin bieber??? Seriously?

Trump inherited a bit and multiplied it hundreds of times over. Don't like him cool, I don't love the guy either, but anyone who thinks an individual that accomplished what he has is an idiot, has no clue, 0, zilch. Yes you need to have smarts and savvy to do this. No you don't need to be hawking smart, but certainly not an idiot.

To all those who know how dumb DT is, go take out a loan for 100k and go turn it into 10 million dollars. Just have to be good at something... Duh..

Wow have you ever met a Billionaire?

I have definitely met the same number of dumb self made billionaires as you have.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are basing your opinion on an image cultivated by Trump's adversaries. I've spent time studying the guy and his business practices, both while at grad school as well as over the past decade plus. Whether you like him as a person or his politics or you don't, he is as legit as they come as a business guy. When it comes to real estate he is second to none, negotiations, there's few better than him. I'd love to see him as owner negotiating terms for a new stadium with the state and local authorities, he'd run circles around those clowns. As for player contracts, we'd finally have a heavy weight in the room. Accountability, watch out, there would be no way Trump would put up with 15 years of losing, no way. You want to attract a Tier 1 or A-list HC, I want Trump in the room making the pitch. You Trump haters have to look paste his politics, the hair and the occasional odd tweet and circle one word that is in his BIO, he is a WINNER !

Is he? Does the USFL have any games scheduled this summer? Trump does not allow one to look past his politics. He always has something simple minded to say in front of the cameras or on Twitter. And he is always looking for attention. Yes, he can be a good businessman. Doesn't mean he would be good for the Bills.

I won't stop being a fan if he becomes the owner, but he's not high on my list of potential owners. And today, it sounded to me like a man greasing the wheels to not be the owner. Again, he's talking way too much. Most business deals do not transpire in that fashion. He's one of the only potential bidders we hear from directly. Red Flag to me. It also means, to me, that he is on the outside looking in. I think there are already preferred candidates with WNY ties who have the "in". But we shall see.

Edited by purple haze

Okay... so now I am reading that Trump is willing to put up his own money to build a new stadium... I am liking him a little more... still have major reservations, but if he stuck to his guns on this, that would show a level of commitment that I have been leery about with him. The earlier article I read, he kind of warned that he would make a reasonable offer, but wouldn't overpay for the team. That was in contrast to things he said a few weeks ago about his success in winning bidding wars. So, if he makes a smaller offer for the team, but agrees to finance a stadium, will the Wilson's accept that? That comes from them. Will they take less? With the way this deal is being brokered, can they accept less, if they are willing too? 'My favorites are still Pegula, Jacobs or Golisano (of the names being mentioned), but his willingness to fund a new stadium moves Trump up a peg. Of course, my natural suspicion of the guy is still there..as, does he already know that he isn't a serious contender to own the team, realizes there are a lot of folks who don't care for him...so now he is just throwing whatever it is out there, to get some meaningless groundswell of support....to have some vocal supporters....to feel needed and wanted, by someone? The fact that his actual wealth has been questioned by so many, makes me kind of wonder too... why would people, who have much more knowledge of this kind of thing, be publically questioning if he has the money to buy the team? Jealousy? Maybe... but still strikes me as odd.

Trump is saying he'll pay for the stadium himself because he knows he'll never actually have to pay for anything. He has no chance of owning the Bills, so he can say that he'll spend roughly $2 billion of his $2.7 billion to buy the team and build a stadium. Meanwhile he looks like he's trying really hard not actually doing anything.

well , he reaps the winnings for himself. That is something i suppose.

JBoyst had a subtle point in regard to his bankruptcies . He liquidated those companies for his gain and profit . How many has he turned around ? he is not so much a business man as abroker in real estate and such. Nor is he self made.

He undertsands margins better than most and can reap profit repeatedly in many situations.

I think you misuderstand Winner when it applies to a football team TX

And that is what scares me about him. When he buys the Buffalo Bills, truly realizes what a gold mine he is sitting on, and begins to realize how much more money he can make elsewhere, or by selling them to someone else who doesn't give a flip about Buffalo... it just seems, as it stands right now, anyone buying this team, and keeping it in Buffalo, has to be willing to accept the fact that they could make more money elsewhere, and not act on that impulse. Trump saying he would build his own stadium is a move in the right direction... but given his ongoing feud with NY state politicians (justified or not), you can't help but wonder if it is just another attempt to rile somebody up, and get in another war of words.

Okay... so now I am reading that Trump is willing to put up his own money to build a new stadium... I am liking him a little more... still have major reservations, but if he stuck to his guns on this, that would show a level of commitment that I have been leery about with him. The earlier article I read, he kind of warned that he would make a reasonable offer, but wouldn't overpay for the team. That was in contrast to things he said a few weeks ago about his success in winning bidding wars. So, if he makes a smaller offer for the team, but agrees to finance a stadium, will the Wilson's accept that? That comes from them. Will they take less? With the way this deal is being brokered, can they accept less, if they are willing too? 'My favorites are still Pegula, Jacobs or Golisano (of the names being mentioned), but his willingness to fund a new stadium moves Trump up a peg. Of course, my natural suspicion of the guy is still there..as, does he already know that he isn't a serious contender to own the team, realizes there are a lot of folks who don't care for him...so now he is just throwing whatever it is out there, to get some meaningless groundswell of support....to have some vocal supporters....to feel needed and wanted, by someone? The fact that his actual wealth has been questioned by so many, makes me kind of wonder too... why would people, who have much more knowledge of this kind of thing, be publically questioning if he has the money to buy the team? Jealousy? Maybe... but still strikes me as odd.

I don't know if you're doing what I did, but it sounds like it. I saw Tim Grahams tweets and the headline to this story and thought he would finance the whole stadium. When you read the article, he's still talking about public funding and maybe willing to chip in basically:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/trump-would-put-up-his-own-money-for-new-bills-stadium-if-bid-is-accepted-20140527

While he's not my 1st choice (Jacobs and Pegula are 1-2), he is 3rd on my list. While he is a caricature to a certain extent, he'd immediately put the Bills back on the NFL map.

Other than an attention seeking whore, who cares?

Right now, I hate to say it, the Bills are irrelevant in the NFL world outside of WNY/Southern Ontario and those thousands of transplants. No MNF or Sunday night football.

Talk about an inferiority complex and the "woe is me" syndrome ...

Woe is us because the Bills are not relevant outside of WNY

Woe is us because the Bills do not play on Monday Night or Sunday Night football.

Who gives a rats ass. Stop worrying what ESPN, Fox Sports, CBS, or any other national sports coverage media is reporting about.

If the Bills generate a winning season, it will have nothing to do with the Bills playing on Monday or Sunday nights, or if the Bills are relevant in the national media.

Two, he would NEVER except losing the way this franchise has accepted it.

How has the franchise accepted it? Since 2000, how many GMs have there been? How many HC?

I don't care what anyone says, a culture of winning starts at the top of EVERY organization, NFL franchises included. Lastly, he wouldn't let anyone push this team around or take pot shots at the team or Buffalo.

To a point, I do believe that.

However, how do you think he will react when the criticism and shots starts coming from the fan base?

Will he ban banners and signs like TD did? Or will he threaten to move the team unless the fan base stops?

While he is vicious, calculating and cut throat, he's the guy you want on your side in a fight. My impression of a lot of WNYers is a lot of "woe is me" syndrome and "as long as we have a team, that's good enough"; there's an inferiority complex --- I know Trump would demand a winning attitude of his FO and his players or they would be OUT.

This could be a good or bad thing, especially if they get short on patience.

My only concern with him as owner is whether he would have the self-restraint, once he built a winning organization to be hands off --

If you had studied him as closely as you said you did, you would already know this answer. No, he would not.

As owner of the USFL Generals, he was hands on and made some notable questionable knee jerk decisions.

In the end, he was an utter disaster for the team and league.

Furthermore, by stating his time in the USFL as proof of his ability to run a sports team, Trump has further cemented he is a complete buffoon when it comes to football.

but right now, he would do a lot more good than bad and I'm convinced he'd build a winning team.

Be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Guys like him do not go away quietly, and there are no do overs.

I don't know if you're doing what I did, but it sounds like it. I saw Tim Grahams tweets and the headline to this story and thought he would finance the whole stadium. When you read the article, he's still talking about public funding and maybe willing to chip in basically:

http://www.buffalone...cepted-20140527

:blush: For some reason, the computer I am using right now has difficulty downloading stories from the Buffalo News....I was going by the headline, and comments from others...thanks for setting me straight.... Trump moves back down a peg! :lol:

:blush: For some reason, the computer I am using right now has difficulty downloading stories from the Buffalo News....I was going by the headline, and comments from others...thanks for setting me straight.... Trump moves back down a peg! :lol:

Yeah, I went up and down the same way tonight!

I'm guessing you only get to preview 10 free stories per month on the Buffalo News, and then you have to subscribe. I solved it by using my laptop, and my I-Pad to review 20 stories. I hope that helps.

The jury is out for me on Trump. He's a bloviating, but a sharp business man. I don't see him moving the team. The TV revenue that will be increasing dramatically assures any owner of making good money in the neighborhood of 30-40 mil. Now and increasing in two years. You can be assured this TR Night experiment with CBS this year will go out to bid, and next year will be on one of the four major networks for the entire season.

Trump will love the spotlight of being an NFL owner, but I don't see him in the day to day operations. My guess is this is just publicity and he has no sincere interest in actually putting up a competitive bid.

One time when Tim Graham was blasting somebody on twitter, as usual, he said something about if you follow the link on twitter to a Buffalo News story, you don't have to pay.

I subscribe to the paper, so it's not a problem for me.

Everyone has their own ideal situation for the owner but here is why you should want Donald Trump as the next owner...

1) He does not take failure as an option.

2) He does not take sh**from anyone

3) You want Rivalries back in Buffalo? This guy is liable to talk sh** about every divisional opponent and their owner. Oh and outside of the division, ESPECIALLY Jerry Jones because he hates other people with almost as much money as he has.

4) He will NEVER be called cheap. In fact I think he likes to overspend to get what he wants.

5) He has enough common sense to be hands off. He's not a football guy and he knows it. He will hire the right faculty and if they don't perform it's chopping block.

6) I think the NFL needs character and Trump is a character I'd enjoy watching in press conferences on his team. He's going to tell it how it is and not sugar coat it. We need more of that.

7) He has stated his intentions of keeping the team in Buffalo, he sees the importance of the fan base and how detrimental it is to the city.

8) I think everyone who sees Galisano as a better option should look at what he did when he owned the Sabres. Yes, he kept him here and we're all thankful for that but he had no win now mentality and it showed.

TRUMP for Owner in 2014... Now for all the haters on why my opinion sucks...

have to agree

It just baffles me how people here claim a guy who made his way to being a billionaire is "an idiot".

So he's worth 2.9 billion.... Idiot! Meanwhile all our brilliant posters what...? have their mortgage 30% paid off and 1500 posts in a bills chat board??!?!!

Trump is such an idiot..

Hey, my Mortgage is 70% paid off!

For the record, Trump graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. Arguably, one of the best universities in the world. While being a billionaire isn't a qualifier for intelligence, I can guarantee you that getting in to Penn is, graduating, seals the deal. You Trump haters should stick with arguments you can defend and not try and belittle the guy for how he made his money, or his charitable endeavors or his intelligence, all which are impressive. Amazing, who do you people want as next owner, Jed Clampett ? the Kennedys ? the Pope ? --- billionaires become billionaires because they take risks, they are smart, they get lucky and they work hard and don't stop when they fail ---

No offense but to the bold, George W. Bush graduated from both Yale and Harvard Business School. Sure, for your average American it's prestigious and a sign of intelligence to graduate from these Ivy league schools. This is mostly due to the struggle to be one of the few who have a successful application into those Universities and their very high expectations. But this isn't the same for the very wealthy, who can promise donations etc. and almost guarantee their sons/daughters placement.