I want Trump for owner and you should too.

There are plenty of reasons he wouldn't keep them in Buffalo. If there wasn't we all wouldn't have had this collective anxiety about the future of the franchise for the last 20 years or so. Buffalo is awesome...but it doesn't necessarilly have a huge, built in fan base with people waiting years to qualify to purchase season tickets. This isn't Chicago, New York, or even Green Bay. Buffalo has its' own unique factors to deal with, that any owner has to be somewhat resigned to.

Part of what has made Trump successful, is buying and flipping things, to a healthy profit. He would never lose money on an NFL franchise, but even if everything went right, there will always (at least in ours and Trumps lifetime) more profitable markets than WNY to own an NFL team. He may be true to his word, and keep the team in Buffalo, but I just don't see him as a long-term owner. And, if he decided to sell, would a good businessman, with no ties to the area, really feel obligated to sell them to somebody with the priority of keeping them in WNY?

And to the point that you make about him "not settling for 14 years of losing".... somebody else made this counter-point earlier in this thread, and I think it was an excellent point... how many GM's and coaches have the Bills gone through in the last 14 years? Is firing everyone, and starting over always the best option?

I could see Trump as a long term NFL team owner which is what he tried to become years ago as a USFL owner. Pretty sure he would love to be one of the select 32 owners in the world. Trump is a New Yorker, as he lives in Trump towers in NYC. I could see him wanting to keep New York states only true NFL team in Buffalo.

Lets face it that this franchise has been so dysfunctional over the last 14 years because the past owner also being the president. I don't see Trump hiring "maybe'' head coaches, among others. Plus, I think he would demand accountability, and not after three years have been wasted.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather any of the people with WNY ties (Pegula, Golisano, Rich, Jacobs). They have all had success in professional sports ownership and would give the franchise a long term future in WNY. That is priority 1 through 1,000 for a new owner (and priority 1,001 isn't all that close to #1,000). I am okay with Trump but he certainly falls in line behind the others.

wow - brilliant......how long did that zinger take you to think up?

Seriously, the anti-Trump vitriol is comical to read. I, too, sense a strong sense of wealth envy and personality attacks on Trump. So he has taken risks, failed, made lots of money, and is not afraid to tell it like it is. Some of you here mistake this trait for self-aggrandizement. Yes Trump has his quirks and his hair and all that, but why can't people see the facts as they are? Do you want a milquetoast owner who is afraid to dictate success and is a nameless, faceless shill ?

Perhaps that is the issue that's causing the absurdity here?

Some may have the unrealistic expectation that a real risk-taker...is going to share their values/personality traits? :lol: Not even close.

Life is about choices, and you can't talk your way out of something you behave yourself into.

Trump has behaved himself into a fortune. Like it or not, he has made far more good choices than he has bad ones. What are the chances, if you ask the Trump-hating posters here why they don't have a fortune, that "my own bad choices/behavior" is the #1 answer we get? 10%? 0%?

That's why Trumps et al, are not "just like us". They recognize that they are in control of their own lives. They don't ask others to share in their failure....which is also why they take sole, 100% credit, in Trump's case, loudly and profusely, :lol: for their success.

I would rather any of the people with WNY ties (Pegula, Golisano, Rich, Jacobs). They have all had success in professional sports ownership and would give the franchise a long term future in WNY. That is priority 1 through 1,000 for a new owner (and priority 1,001 isn't all that close to #1,000). I am okay with Trump but he certainly falls in line behind the others.

WNY ties are all well and good, but Trump is a New York stater through & through. He would market the hell out the Bills being the only true franchise in New York. I don't see the 4 you cited, while excellent candidates, being a fraction of the marketer that Trump is.

WNY ties are all well and good, but Trump is a New York stater through & through. He would market the hell out the Bills being the only true franchise in New York. I don't see the 4 you cited, while excellent candidates, being a fraction of the marketer that Trump is.

I guess where I am struggling with this is that I really don't care at all about the Bills presence in the national media. His marketing prowess means nothing to me. I care that they remain in WNY and those 4 give them the best chance. Trump will likely keep them but if he has issues negotiating with the state on the new stadium I could see him flipping the team to a Toronto or LA group in the next few years for a large profit. In addition, the best owners are typically hands off. I cannot see a situation where Trump is hands off. As I said, I am okay with him but I can't think of one thing that he offers that I like better than the other 4.

I hope he puts a huge hotel on one end zone and charges 300-600 bucks per room per night on game weekends with a min 2 night stay. Concerts and shows those rooms will sell.

I want him to make crazy money.... actually I want any owner to make crazy money... just keep them here.

The NFL is a club. Trump wants to be a member. Period. The great + is that this club makes each member millions each year, no matter what. Literally the ONLY way the NFL stops being a guaranteed $ maker

The problem is, guys like Trump see a team making X instead of X x 30% as losing money.

Whoever the owner is, he/she is going to have to be very comfortable tying up a huge portion of their wealth in a long-term asset that would bring smaller returns than otherwise invested.

I guess where I am struggling with this is that I really don't care at all about the Bills presence in the national media. His marketing prowess means nothing to me. I care that they remain in WNY and those 4 give them the best chance. Trump will likely keep them but if he has issues negotiating with the state on the new stadium I could see him flipping the team to a Toronto or LA group in the next few years for a large profit. In addition, the best owners are typically hands off. I cannot see a situation where Trump is hands off. As I said, I am okay with him but I can't think of one thing that he offers that I like better than the other 4.

also, dont discount the vested heirs of Jacobs and Pegula as well (and Rich).

Everyone has their own ideal situation for the owner but here is why you should want Donald Trump as the next owner...

1) He does not take failure as an option.

2) He does not take sh**from anyone

3) You want Rivalries back in Buffalo? This guy is liable to talk sh** about every divisional opponent and their owner. Oh and outside of the division, ESPECIALLY Jerry Jones because he hates other people with almost as much money as he has.

4) He will NEVER be called cheap. In fact I think he likes to overspend to get what he wants.

5) He has enough common sense to be hands off. He's not a football guy and he knows it. He will hire the right faculty and if they don't perform it's chopping block.

6) I think the NFL needs character and Trump is a character I'd enjoy watching in press conferences on his team. He's going to tell it how it is and not sugar coat it. We need more of that.

7) He has stated his intentions of keeping the team in Buffalo, he sees the importance of the fan base and how detrimental it is to the city.

8) I think everyone who sees Galisano as a better option should look at what he did when he owned the Sabres. Yes, he kept him here and we're all thankful for that but he had no win now mentality and it showed.

TRUMP for Owner in 2014... Now for all the haters on why my opinion sucks...

Honestly, I couldn't take this thread seriously after I read reason #1. How many times has Trump filed for bankruptcy?

Your primary point aside, 30 years brings us to 1984.

This team was hardly a joke from the late '80s thru the mid '90s. It was an NFL force to be reckoned with.

It's been a joke for the years that Polian's players didn't dominate the roster. That's when it was a joke.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that our former fearless leader Ralph Wilson thought that it was a good idea to fire Polian.

Boy I Love Losing Superbowls.

This team has been irrelevant for 14 years and counting, it's been a national punchline for even longer. Arguing that is as silly as wanting a mouth-breathing abomination like Trump as the owner.

One more point.. Trump can play the media like a violin. He will definitely increase the Bill's media presence.

Trump can play the media like a violin? If you mean he can make an ass out of himself and be a punchline for every late night comic on a nightly basis, then yes. He can play the media like a violin.

Holy lord. People need to wake up. This is The Donald, not Pope Francis.

Boy I Love Losing Superbowls.

This team has been irrelevant for 14 years and counting, it's been a national punchline for even longer. Arguing that is as silly as wanting a mouth-breathing abomination like Trump as the owner.

Trump can play the media like a violin? If you mean he can make an ass out of himself and be a punchline for every late night comic on a nightly basis, then yes. He can play the media like a violin.

Holy lord. People need to wake up. This is The Donald, not Pope Francis.

No offense, but here you are talking about him. If his goal--as some in this thread believe--is to stay relevant via being in the news, well, then he's accomplished it.

No offense, but here you are talking about him. If his goal--as some in this thread believe--is to stay relevant via being in the news, well, then he's accomplished it.

That's not true. There is such a thing as bad press. The old saying is a myth. Trump remains relevant as a punchline, nothing more in terms of the national consciousness.

The problem is, guys like Trump see a team making X instead of X x 30% as losing money.

Whoever the owner is, he/she is going to have to be very comfortable tying up a huge portion of their wealth in a long-term asset that would bring smaller returns than otherwise invested.

The average NFL owner makes a lot more than 10%(sound expectation for "otherwise invested") on their $.

Moreover, the average owner has financed their ownership(why the F would you do it for cash? Unless you have Pegula $, no reason. Even if you have Pegula $, no reason). So, their "investment" only amounts to ~50% of the buy. Trump is no fool, and he'll probably leverage the hell out of this(as much as the NFL lets him get away with it. They usually have a min. cash requirement.)

Any NFL owner, short of complete melt down, are a lock to service their debt, so the banks line up to lend and get 3% on ~a billion(and the banker that closes that deal makes a killing). Therefore the owners end up making 20-30% on their $(merch, rights, etc.). They use part of the profits to service debt, and they couldn't care less if it takes 30 years to pay it off, as inflation handles the rest. And, if they want/need to get out? They stand to get a 50% ROI at least, over top of the profits they've already accrued = Galisano's ROI on the Sabres.

I don't see why Trump would be any different. In fact, I'd be a lot more worried if Trump DID do it for cash. Wholly owned is a lot easier to transfer.

That's not true. There is such a thing as bad press. The old saying is a myth. Trump remains relevant as a punchline, nothing more in terms of the national consciousness.

Not sure I agree with that, but it wasn't really my point.

Not sure I agree with that, but it wasn't really my point.

Then what was?

Trump's image is that of a cartoon character. That cannot be argued. His debacle of a run for president only cemented his legacy as a baboon. While he remains relevant because of his immense wealth and even larger need to be in the spotlight, it's not positive for Trump or his image that he's in the limelight as much as he is and the media regularly blasts him.

So if that's playing the media like a violin, convincing them all as well as the vast majority of Americans that Trump is indeed a fool, I don't consider that something to be proud of or something to put on his resume for the job of owning this team.

Especially since if he does buy the team, all those jokes and mockery he takes in the media will have a shiny charging buffalo logo next to it. Haven't we been through enough comic disasters as a franchise? Do we really want to invite the Chief of the media whores to be our team's steward?

Edited by GreggyT

Perhaps that is the issue that's causing the absurdity here?

Some may have the unrealistic expectation that a real risk-taker...is going to share their values/personality traits? :lol: Not even close.

Life is about choices, and you can't talk your way out of something you behave yourself into.

Trump has behaved himself into a fortune. Like it or not, he has made far more good choices than he has bad ones. What are the chances, if you ask the Trump-hating posters here why they don't have a fortune, that "my own bad choices/behavior" is the #1 answer we get? 10%? 0%?

That's why Trumps et al, are not "just like us". They recognize that they are in control of their own lives. They don't ask others to share in their failure....which is also why they take sole, 100% credit, in Trump's case, loudly and profusely, :lol: for their success.

May be all well and true OC, but lets put it in a way that you might understand....if I have two guys with a lot of money who can both afford to buy the team I love, and one is a loutish ass-hole, and the other, equally wealthy, behaves like an adult, I am probably going with the one who behaves like an adult. Style points! It has absolutely nothing to do with politics. I wouldn't want Michael Moore owning the Bills any more than Trump. Is it a coincidence that everyone who is pro-Trump in this thread, tends to lean right? I would say, your opinions of Trump as Bills owner, are no less tainted by politics than anyone who doesn't want him owning the team. Hell, I find the whole fracking industry pretty repulsive, as it is now, but I would still be 100% behind Pegula owing the Bills.

Honestly, I couldn't take this thread seriously after I read reason #1. How many times has Trump filed for bankruptcy?

Honestly, you don't know very much about "self-made billionaires", do you?

It's amazing to see the perspectives here, and how little posters really know about how real $, and real $ people, operate.

Hint: Almost ALL of them have filed for bankruptcy at least 1 time.

Hint2: You aren't going to achieve BILLIONaire net worth without taking real risks, and, those risks ARE going to bite you. The game is to miss as many times as you can stand it, but...hit 1 time, because 1 hit is all it takes.

Hint3: We're not talking about the guys at the your nearest country club.

/facepalm

This isn't like assessing the credit report of the local flower shop owner. "Well, he's never filed for bankruptcy, so....let's lend him that $50k" :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Then what was?

Trump's image is that of a cartoon character. That cannot be argued. His debacle of a run for president only cemented his legacy as a baboon. While he remains relevant because of his immense wealth and even larger need to be in the spotlight, it's not positive for Trump or his image that he's in the limelight as much as he is and the media regularly blasts him.

So if that's playing the media like a violin, convincing them all as well as the vast majority of Americans that Trump is indeed a fool, I don't consider that something to be proud of or something to put on his resume for the job of owning this team.

Especially since if he does buy the team, all those jokes and mockery he takes in the media will have a shiny charging buffalo logo next to it. Haven't we been through enough comic disasters as a franchise? Do we really want to invite the Chief of the media whores to be our team's steward?

My point was simply that we have an 8-page thread about the guy, and it's hardly been the only one of it's ilk with regard to Trump. You can talk all you want about all this negative publicity and how it hurts his reputation, yet suppose he puts in a bid and ends up buying the team...how would all of that "bad" press and late-night talk hullabaloo have hurt him? It wouldn't.

My point was simply that we have an 8-page thread about the guy, and it's hardly been the only one of it's ilk with regard to Trump. You can talk all you want about all this negative publicity and how it hurts his reputation, yet suppose he puts in a bid and ends up buying the team...how would all of that "bad" press and late-night talk hullabaloo have hurt him? It wouldn't.

Do you honestly believe Trump has any chance of getting this team or getting approval from the rest of the league's owners? Do you honestly believe that?

I know you don't. In which case, this point is completely moot and proves my point that his press actually hurt him. The only reason we're talking about him at all is because he opened his mouth and said he wanted the team.