Report: Bills attempted to trade up for Carlos Hyde

kid had a bad ankle sprain and could not cut off it for 2/3 of the season but gutted it out. And we had turn style brown and bronco logout sky at rg and a rt that sucked. Sorry but line, injury and some on new coordinator and new coach, I expect change to dominate this year!

I am a Spiller fan.....but lets face it......he gets hurt toooo much. I think they are looking for a more durable back

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guys are reading too much into this. I think it's clear that just about everyone knows that Spiller is a 15-20 touches a guy kind of running back, which is about half the work load of the total touches our RB's receive. Jackson is at the twilight of his career, and we are looking towards his eventual replacement.

Spiller, not Hackett, was responsible for his regression. Sorry, but you're flat out wrong.

Go back and watch the first 4 games of the season and see how many times Spiller gets handed the ball out of the read option. Or just pretend you are right.

I really like CJ, but I guess he isn't fitting their plans. Ideal for Marrone seems to be a big strong durable RB that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'

Or maybe just a guy who will run through the hole a play calls for instead of jumping everything outside.

Go back and watch the first 4 games of the season and see how many times Spiller gets handed the ball out of the read option. Or just pretend you are right.

I'll gladly point you to ANY of the all 22 analyses that clearly stated Spiller missed the read on those plays EVERY time.

Not play calls, execution.

Or maybe just a guy who will run through the hole a play calls for instead of jumping everything outside.

He was that, the year before. What changed? Oh yes, the entire coaching staff and most of the front office. You're right about missing some holes, but why he missed them is a mystery. It could very well be a systemic problem. Not ready to blame it all on CJ.

Side Note: this is not a condemnation of the new regime, by and large I like what they've done. For some reason, CJ was not getting the cues he was the year before.

Edited by HamSandwhich

His ankle didn't cause him to frequently (and mostly fail to) bounce it wide when the hole was up the gut.

Well, with Stevie gone, it didn't take you very long to irrationally latch on to a new whipping boy.

Spiller, not Hackett, was responsible for his regression. Sorry, but you're flat out wrong.

Nearly 1,000 yards at 4.6 on a bum ankle (he didn't finish some games), a year after getting 1,200 yards on 6 ypc. Yeah, Spiller clearly is the problem and not a rookie OC from Syracuse.

Other fan bases would laugh at some Bills fans putting Spiller down. He was the only thing to fear on our offense. I hope Hackett can improve next year but he did an awful job with Spiller.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Omg for once can we have a coaching staff that adjusts scheme to fit the players. Every 3 years a new group of clowns comes in and wipes the slate clean. You've got two very good backs, Marrone, find a way to use them or find a new line of employment. Cripes.

Well, with Stevie gone, it didn't take you very long to irrationally latch on to a new whipping boy.

Irrational? The all-22's speak for themselves. Given what we've seen from Spiller, to know what he's capable of, we know he had a down year last year.

To say it was all the coaches' fault is to ignore the down years he had in 2010 and 2011 too.

One could argue 2012 was the aberration. I don't believe that's true. But it wouldn't be IRRATIONAL to suggest so.

Nearly 1,000 yards at 4.6 on a bum ankle (he didn't finish some games), a year after getting 1,200 yards on 6 ypc. Yeah, Spiller clearly is the problem and not a rookie OC from Syracuse.

Other fan bases would laugh at some Bills fans putting Spiller down. He was the only thing to fear on our offense. I hope Hackett can improve next year but he did an awful job with Spiller.

The All-22's speak for themselves. As do his whopping 2 TDs, his bouncing out of bounds when they were running to kill clock to end the half, his 1.4 ypc drop that YOU cited. Sorry, but there's a reason why 933 yards isn't a league bench mark.

He had a down year, and the tape CLEARLY showed he WAS put in positions to succeed and simply failed to do so.

Believe it or not, fans can be critical of players without cheering them for them to fail.

After some convo's with mrags, I was really hoping to snag him.... The good news is that by not trading up for him, we saved a thread on how bad we overpaid to get him... Along with the Mel Kiper report of us having a horrible draft... Oh wait, that happened...

a) I suspect that it's Jackson that they are trying to replace. If they wanted to get rid of Spiller they would've traded him to the Eagles when they were interested.

b) Anyone who thinks that Spiller is a bust should have the misfortune of seeing him in an offense like Philadelphia's. He would lead the league in rushing and people at TBD would be crying.

Hyde has some nice moves and power, but that 4.66/40 scares me. IMO speed (lack thereof) is the biggest reason college success doesn't always translate to pros. My expectations for Bryce Brown are just as high, if not higher

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

After some convo's with mrags, I was really hoping to snag him.... The good news is that by not trading up for him, we saved a thread on how bad we overpaid to get him... Along with the Mel Kiper report of us having a horrible draft... Oh wait, that happened...

According to Chris Brown on the John Murphy Show tonight, the initial offer to Miami was our 3rd and 5th for their 2nd... it was then upped to our 3rd and 4th, which would match the draft pick trade value chart. Basically, it would cost us Ross Cockrell and Seantrel Henderson* to get Hyde.

*I say Henderson because I suspect Whaley wouldn't have traded the extra 5th, leaving us with (possibly still) Richardson.

Edited by Punch

And they'd be morons. There were holes there for big gains and Spiller flat out missed them. There's a reason Fred is consistently more productive.

There is no doubt in my mind if the Bills pulled this off that Spiller prob would hv been traded before the end if the draft for a pick or picks next year

Been saying since early last season that Spiller just isn't the type of back that Marrone prefers

I'm glad it didn't happen. I like the player, I would hate the cost of moving back into the 2nd for a rb.

Me too. I like Bryce Brown better.

There is no doubt in my mind if the Bills pulled this off that Spiller prob would hv been traded before the end if the draft for a pick or picks next year

Been saying since early last season that Spiller just isn't the type of back that Marrone prefers

Insane thought! When Marrone and Hackett got here they were gonna feed Spiller til he threw up, now he's not their type? There was a reason the Bills drafted those road graders later and it wasn't just to help protect EJ. With the type of holes these guys will open, CJ will have a career year. Hopefully the Bills work out a contract with him. This offense has a chance to be dynamic!