Report: Bills attempted to trade up for Carlos Hyde

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irrational? The all-22's speak for themselves. Given what we've seen from Spiller, to know what he's capable of, we know he had a down year last year.

To say it was all the coaches' fault is to ignore the down years he had in 2010 and 2011 too.

One could argue 2012 was the aberration. I don't believe that's true. But it wouldn't be IRRATIONAL to suggest so.

The All-22's speak for themselves. As do his whopping 2 TDs, his bouncing out of bounds when they were running to kill clock to end the half, his 1.4 ypc drop that YOU cited. Sorry, but there's a reason why 933 yards isn't a league bench mark.

He had a down year, and the tape CLEARLY showed he WAS put in positions to succeed and simply failed to do so.

Believe it or not, fans can be critical of players without cheering them for them to fail.

Typing in ALL CAPS does not make something more true. Spiller made same bad plays, but the play calling for him was Stone Age. Hackett did little to get Spiller out in space, and ran him between the tackles as if he were Marshawn Lynch. Hackett did not impress in his first year as OC. IMHO, if the Bills lose Spiller he will be a superstar under some other, smarter, coach.

I think the attempt for Hyde is a pretty good indication this is Spillers last year.

Spiller is a part time game changer.

injury prone, gets winded easily, will opt out of his deal after this season and probably move on.

I think the attempt for Hyde is a pretty good indication this is Spillers last year.

injury prone, gets winded easily, will opt out of his deal after this season and probably move on.

I agree Spiller won't get a new contract but I wouldn't call him injury prone. I do believe he wasn't used properly last year. Did not understand why he wasn't lined up wide or in the slot more often.

Hyde is bigger and slower than gore. I see him more as a lendale white ... Nice college career, nothing special as a pro

really???

Because when I watch Hyde I think of Bo Jackson and Eddie George. Nice college careers and absolutely dominating in the pros.

why are you upset by something that didn't happen?

because it could've happened and it should've happened.

This guy should have been taken with our 2nd round pick.

He's a very vulnerable young man, very sensitive.

you shut your mouth. I am not.

-hovers in corner crying.

this

I agree Spiller won't get a new contract but I wouldn't call him injury prone. I do believe he wasn't used properly last year. Did not understand why he wasn't lined up wide or in the slot more often.

you wouldn't call him injury prone? He has yet to finish a season where he was not injured.

Just saying.

Marrone and Whaley want competition. They know Fred's time is limited, and CJ simply hasn't been reliable. It makes sense. You've got to show CJ that his draft position and "high ceiling" aren't enough to keep his job (and get a lucrative extension). I am rooting for CJ like nobody's business this year, but the Bills wanting to get a guy like Hyde, and then trading for Brown, makes all the sense in the world.

Some of you guys are reading too much into this. I think it's clear that just about everyone knows that Spiller is a 15-20 touches a guy kind of running back, which is about half the work load of the total touches our RB's receive. Jackson is at the twilight of his career, and we are looking towards his eventual replacement.

Here is my question, do you pay Spiller top dollar for being used 15+ times a game? My gut says no.

really???

Because when I watch Hyde I think of Bo Jackson and Eddie George. Nice college careers and absolutely dominating in the pros.

because it could've happened and it should've happened.

This guy should have been taken with our 2nd round pick.

you shut your mouth. I am not.

-hovers in corner crying.

this

you wouldn't call him injury prone? He has yet to finish a season where he was not injured.

Just saying.

He's missed 3 games of his 64 game career.

Typing in ALL CAPS does not make something more true. Spiller made same bad plays, but the play calling for him was Stone Age. Hackett did little to get Spiller out in space, and ran him between the tackles as if he were Marshawn Lynch. Hackett did not impress in his first year as OC. IMHO, if the Bills lose Spiller he will be a superstar under some other, smarter, coach.

I keep hearing this "get him in space." I suppose you mean the way Gailey did. So, we run a spread (boy that was popular/did us a lot of good) or we run screens (I guess you missed all the complete cluster !@#$s each time we tried to get our OL out to move?).

The "Hackett didn't get him in space" argument (and, believe me, you're not the only one making it) ignores the fact that CJ did a lousy job executing the plays that were called (my argument) and it fails to acknowledge that any attempts to "create" space last year were abject failures.

So explain again how it was Hackett's fault.

You sure the OL esp LG had nothing to do with it? It was noted with detailed analysis on several sites that the OL was not opening holes last year as previous year. There were several good game analyses on Buffalo Rumblings.

What's your basis or reasoning for figuring Spiller is responsible for his own regression? Just curious.

Agreed! There's plenty of blame to go around for CJ's regression last year imo. For starters the season didn't start well for CJ with family issues, Also, the play calling and and o-line play was nothing compared to the previous year. Regardless, I'm still not giving CJ a free pass because Fred Jackson see's the field better and can make something out of nothing without any hesitation unlike CJ. I'll concede CJ is still a young with plenty yet to learn but the bottom line is I/we better see a better game plan from Hackett and more decisiveness from CJ as well.

He's missed 3 games of his 64 game career.

It's worth noting, however, that he was listed as the "starter" for only 31 one of those 64, too.

Now, may be that has to do with it being "Fred's turn," okay. But the guy drafted as a regime's first overall pick was undoubtedly expected to separate himself from a running back "controversy." He simply never did (or has).

Agreed! There's plenty of blame to go around for CJ's regression last year imo. For starters the season didn't start well for CJ with family issues, Also, the play calling and and o-line play was nothing compared to the previous year. Regardless, I'm still not giving CJ a free pass because Fred Jackson see's the field better and can make something out of nothing without any hesitation unlike CJ. I'll concede CJ is still a young with plenty yet to learn but the bottom line is I/we better see a better game plan from Hackett and more decisiveness from CJ as well.

Since week 2 2013, I've been on a crusade to eliminate this "play calling" argument. Why stop now?

For CJ's sake: what playcalling would you have preferred? The spread? Do you recall what happened when we tried to run screens?

I keep hearing this "get him in space." I suppose you mean the way Gailey did. So, we run a spread (boy that was popular/did us a lot of good) or we run screens (I guess you missed all the complete cluster !@#$s each time we tried to get our OL out to move?).

The "Hackett didn't get him in space" argument (and, believe me, you're not the only one making it) ignores the fact that CJ did a lousy job executing the plays that were called (my argument) and it fails to acknowledge that any attempts to "create" space last year were abject failures.

So explain again how it was Hackett's fault.

Yay another crusade! We lost curtiba with the SJ trade, now we have the cat who should watch this video. Ankle sprain, ankle sprain and ankle sprain

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5IldpoY5kkk

Edited by Ryan L Billz

It's worth noting, however, that he was listed as the "starter" for only 31 one of those 64, too.

Now, may be that has to do with it being "Fred's turn," okay. But the guy drafted as a regime's first overall pick was undoubtedly expected to separate himself from a running back "controversy." He simply never did (or has).

Since week 2 2013, I've been on a crusade to eliminate this "play calling" argument. Why stop now?

For CJ's sake: what playcalling would you have preferred? The spread? Do you recall what happened when we tried to run screens?

never did or has. Even in his monsterous year, Fred was having great numbers as well. So do we praise CJ for being so great? Or give the line and the playcalling praise?

The fact is, CJ has never distanced himself. The fact is, as an early 1st round pick (with the exception of 1 season) has been a disappointment. The fact is, regardless of how much fine he's missed, if we keep making "he had an ankle injury all season" type of excuses then what are we really getting???

I hate to bring it up becauE he's no longer on the team. The horse is beat to a pulp at this point. But if people were complaining about Stevie's production (absolutely nothing to do with his on/off field antics) then we should all be lining up at OBD with pitchforks looking to oust CJ.

Another fact is that CJ Spiller has a career 5.1 average. Only Jammal Charles is better at 5.6. AD is 5.0. McCoy is 4.8.

Even last year when he was terrible as some of you guys say and cannot hit a hole, on a bad ankle, with no passing attack, and apparently trying to bust everything outside with no vision, he averaged 4.6

never did or has. Even in his monsterous year, Fred was having great numbers as well. So do we praise CJ for being so great? Or give the line and the playcalling praise?

The fact is, CJ has never distanced himself. The fact is, as an early 1st round pick (with the exception of 1 season) has been a disappointment. The fact is, regardless of how much fine he's missed, if we keep making "he had an ankle injury all season" type of excuses then what are we really getting???

I hate to bring it up becauE he's no longer on the team. The horse is beat to a pulp at this point. But if people were complaining about Stevie's production (absolutely nothing to do with his on/off field antics) then we should all be lining up at OBD with pitchforks looking to oust CJ.

Well, I guess one is not allowed to be critical of Stevie's antics and knack for blowing it when it counts most and make the argument you made above.

My position on Stevie was firm. His contributions were nice but not great, and he was too much of a liability. There's really nothing left to say on the matter.

As far as Spiller goes, I'm fully confident and optimistic he'll put up monster numbers in our run heavy offense. I want him to. Of course I do. But he has a lot left to prove. He's had more bad years than good, and he had a pretty lousy one last year. Now he's headed into his fifth year. I don't know why fans get so upset with my patience for him wearing thin.

Another fact is that CJ Spiller has a career 5.1 average. Only Jammal Charles is better at 5.6. AD is 5.0. McCoy is 4.8.

Even last year when he was terrible as some of you guys say and cannot hit a hole, on a bad ankle, with no passing attack, and apparently trying to bust everything outside with no vision, he averaged 4.6

And that's completely due to his ability to bust one at any time, which is why I love the fact that he's a Bill. You know as well as anyone that 4.6 was not his average carry. He could have busted a bunch of other runs last year, IF he had the vision and patience of Fred Jackson.

Well, I guess one is not allowed to be critical of Stevie's antics and knack for blowing it when it counts most and make the argument you made above.

My position on Stevie was firm. His contributions were nice but not great, and he was too much of a liability. There's really nothing left to say on the matter.

As far as Spiller goes, I'm fully confident and optimistic he'll put up monster numbers in our run heavy offense. I want him to. Of course I do. But he has a lot left to prove. He's had more bad years than good, and he had a pretty lousy one last year. Now he's headed into his fifth year. I don't know why fans get so upset with my patience for him wearing thin.

And that's completely due to his ability to bust one at any time, which is why I love the fact that he's a Bill. You know as well as anyone that 4.6 was not his average carry. He could have busted a bunch of other runs last year, IF he had the vision and patience of Fred Jackson.

You have some decent points but Spiller having a lousy? 4.6 and nearly a 1,000 yards is a lousy year? The guy put up 100+ on the Panthers (6.4), the 2nd best defense in the NFL. His last carry against the Browns was a 54 yard touchdown. Why do you think that was? Because he was ineffective? Or because he was hurt? He also shares time with a very good rb who needs to get his carries.

But let's compared resumes. Spiller was the best offensive player in his draft, a top 10 pick, averages 5.1 ypc for his career, and made a pro bowl gaining 1200 yards at 6 ypc. Hackett ran those powerhouse offenses at Cuse and had a dad that got him where he is. I have hopes for Hackett but because of his playcalling and Spiller's injuries, he limited one of the best weapons in the NFL.

If it makes anyone feel better, his YPC jumped from 4.0 to 5.1 in the second half of the season. So either he learned, Hackett learned, he healed, or all of the above. I consider 5+ ypc to be stellar, personally.