Report: Bills attempted to trade up for Carlos Hyde

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller, not Hackett, was responsible for his regression. Sorry, but you're flat out wrong.

You sure the OL esp LG had nothing to do with it? It was noted with detailed analysis on several sites that the OL was not opening holes last year as previous year. There were several good game analyses on Buffalo Rumblings.

What's your basis or reasoning for figuring Spiller is responsible for his own regression? Just curious.

Insane thought! When Marrone and Hackett got here they were gonna feed Spiller til he threw up, now he's not their type? There was a reason the Bills drafted those road graders later and it wasn't just to help protect EJ. With the type of holes these guys will open, CJ will have a career year. Hopefully the Bills work out a contract with him. This offense has a chance to be dynamic!

Yeah they did say that but did it actually happen? What they say and what they do are not always the same thing. Don't give me the injury excuse either

Did you watch the games? Wasn't their style more pound it up the middle? Is that Spillers game?

Insane thought? It's called common sense

For the record I don't want to see Spiller traded but again I think it was obvious early on last season that Spiller isn't the type of back Marrone prefers

Edited by Max997

kid had a bad ankle sprain and could not cut off it for 2/3 of the season but gutted it out. And we had turn style brown and bronco logout sky at rg and a rt that sucked. Sorry but line, injury and some on new coordinator and new coach, I expect change to dominate this year!

Exactly. CJ regressed because he couldn't cut or sprint or do what he was doing in 2012 because he has a high ankle sprain most of the year.

Why? A new OC won't give Spiller the vision he's NEVER had.

Exactly. Spiller just is not that good of a running back. He has killer speed but does not read the play or the blocks well. Two coaching staffs have chosen an UDFA RB from nowhere college to be the guy to get the carries when it matters most.

Hyde has some nice moves and power, but that 4.66/40 scares me. IMO speed (lack thereof) is the biggest reason college success doesn't always translate to pros. My expectations for Bryce Brown are just as high, if not higher

The guy looks like a virtual clone of frank gore. Rb top end speed doesn't have to equate to a 4.3 40, it's their 10 and 20 that matter. The initial burst, which Hyde has.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

The guy looks like a virtual clone of frank gore. Rb top end speed doesn't have to equate to a 4.3 40, it's their 10 and 20 that matter. The initial burst, which Hyde has.

Hyde is bigger and slower than gore. I see him more as a lendale white ... Nice college career, nothing special as a pro

Hyde is bigger and slower than gore. I see him more as a lendale white ... Nice college career, nothing special as a pro

He was the highest rated and the third taken. That usually says something. If it's just one team they could well have just been infatuated with one player. When two guys go before him it's more like he wasn't as highly rated as some. It looks like the Bills wanted to trade up to get him, but it wasn't with their 2nd round pick, they took Kujo, and they obviously didnt offer a ton, because everyone turned them down. It was likely a 3rd and a 5th and no one bit.

You sure the OL esp LG had nothing to do with it? It was noted with detailed analysis on several sites that the OL was not opening holes last year as previous year. There were several good game analyses on Buffalo Rumblings.

What's your basis or reasoning for figuring Spiller is responsible for his own regression? Just curious.

I'll concede that the OL failed to open gaping holes, but I maintain the fact he missed the ones that WERE there.

Why does this remind me of this: Please, please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who. We are here today to witness the union of two young people in the joyful bond of the holy wedlock. Unfortunately, one of them, my son Herbert, has just fallen to his death. But I think I've not lost a son, so much as... gained a daughter! For, since the tragic death of her father--

He's not quite dead!

Since the near fatal wounding of her father--

He's getting better!

For, since her own father... who, when he seemed about to recover, suddenly felt the icy hand of death upon him,...

Oh, he's died!

And I want his only daughter to look upon me... as her own dad -- in a very real, and legally binding sense.

Exactly. CJ regressed because he couldn't cut or sprint or do what he was doing in 2012 because he has a high ankle sprain most of the year.

I don't see it this way at all. If his ankle was the problem, why cut to the outside instead of running more straight ahead where the hole was?

CJ regressed because the Bills didn't play in a 4-5 wide, spread the D out and get lots of D backs on the field, type offense. His vision isn't great and when he has to make quick choices in traffic he panics and just pops it to the outside because he's learned most of his life that he can outrun guys to the corner. That doesn't happen often in the NFL, particularly when the D has the scouting report on you and defensive ends become very disciplined with their edge contain (an edge contain the CJ STILL tries to run around.)

when you run the same play over and over again to the same hole the defense is usually waiting in that hole. You could pull a blind man off the street and he could stop hacks running game.

Looks like I'll be spending the next four months grinding this false theory to a nub: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/167791-report-bills-attempted-to-trade-up-for-carlos-hyde/page__st__20#entry3133693

...again

I'll concede that the OL failed to open gaping holes, but I maintain the fact he missed the ones that WERE there.

This is all true.

Play calling had him run inside more often, iirc.

OL wasn't opening up holes at times.

CJ wasn't seeing, trusting, or waiting for holes and tried to bounce things outside.

CJ was also injured for much of the year.

Lots of things working against him, still had respectable numbers.

This is all true.

Play calling had him run inside more often, iirc.

OL wasn't opening up holes at times.

CJ wasn't seeing, trusting, or waiting for holes and tried to bounce things outside.

CJ was also injured for much of the year.

Lots of things working against him, still had respectable numbers.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Seriously, go back and read the all-22's

Again, I'm happy to concede the ankle/OL did him no favors.

Fine.

But--just as he did ALL through 2010 and through the first 3/4 of 2011, CJ missed holes up the middle and got gobbled up trying to bounce wide.