It will be Zack Martin then a RB in round 2

If I were a betting man they love him and will reach to get him...then they will do a RB in round 2 because they are not going to re-sign Spiller due to the fact RBs are a dime a dozen and he does not fit the mold of a pounder between the tackles Marrone wants.......if I we a betting man....

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So at #9 you think they will take the 4th best Tackle? Then in the 2nd they will get a player at the only position where we are solid? I'm not saying it won't happen but I would be super depressed if it went down like this

If I were a betting man they love him and will reach to get him...then they will do a RB in round 2 because they are not going to re-sign Spiller due to the fact RBs are a dime a dozen and he does not fit the mold of a pounder between the tackles Marrone wants.......if I we a betting man....

If you are a betting man I would love to get in on this. I think that the odds of Zack Martin at 9 are way less than what seems to be out there now. I could see him in a trade down. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Would not have to be Martin at 9, if we got Lewan or Matthews then Hyde, I could see that and would love it. Fred is perhaps my favorite all-time Bill, certainly up there for all of us, but time waits for no man. Spiller -- love the kid's attitude, but he might be Reggie Bush. If he is, he ain't toting the rock when we are up by 3 with 5:37 left in 4th Quarter (as we so often are) and need to run the 4 minute offense to preserve the lead (which we so often blow). I have a nightmare image of CJ bouncing it outside on first down, losing five yards, pass on second down and a pick, then another Bills' loss (perhaps to Marsha of all people). I need to step away from the keyboard, feeling ill.

Unsure we can afford Spiller if he is a "specialty back" and I don't think the Bills themselves know about that yet. Big year for CJ. I would not say the Bills are set at running back in any way.

This scenario makes sense if it is part of a trade back to 14 or 15 with Chicago or Dallas (moving up for Aaron Donald), and the Bills going TE and DB in round two. Edited by mannc

Hello Newman.

The Bills could afford to wait until RD4 and still get one of the top 4 RBs in this draft. I'd hope they get a OL and a playmaker in RD1-3.

Ebron-Evans would be OK with me as the playmaker.

Martin>Lewan for OG/RT in my opinion.

The Bills always try to go against the Norm and then burn themselves. Teams have stopped drafting RBs in the Top 15 unless it is a Peterson and yet we have spent three first round and a 2nd round pick in a decade on RBs. They jumped up to pick McCargo, TJ, Losman etc when no one was rushing to get them, especially all those lost draft picks.

If the Bills stick to their board and build from the trenches and get a QB, they have a chance.

Actually, if we could trade down with Giants (who supposedly like Ebron), and get Martin at 12, I would love this. Martin at 12, Hyde in the 2d, also best available wide-out or TE with our second 2d round pick (Montcrief, Jenkins, etc), Gabe Jackson in the third as a mauling power guard. Would love this.

I would love any draft that includes Hyde in the 2nd round. A OT, TE, or WR in the 1st and Hyde in the 2nd and I'm turning off my tv cuz it's not getting any better.

I absolutely love Carlos Hyde as a prospect. He is a rich man's Eddie Lacy to me. He is a little better receiver and more of a home run threat than Lacy was. Whoever gets Hyde is going to be happy.

if we trade down from 9 to anywhere between 10-17 i'd be ok with this, since we'd have another second. But taking martin at 9, i just can't/don't want that. I'd rather take Arron Donald. However his jump up the boards really helps us in the possibility of finding a trade partner.

I think the Bills are set at RB for one more season. If we had a OL, they could stay healthy.

And the Bills could easily extend Jackson for another two seasons, if he continues to have the same production. Spiller either takes the 4.5M /year salary or walks. The Bills can then address RB in FA next year or draft one in 2015. There is no rush to get a RB this season. I would rather spend that pick on a potential QB like Murray, Boyd, Mettenberger, or Savage who all should be available in the 3rd round.

So with the talk from Whaley of the elite players in this draft you see them taking the 4th rated OT in the draft with the 9th overall pick

Yeah that makes perfect sense

And the Bills could easily extend Jackson for another two seasons, if he continues to have the same production. Spiller either takes the 4.5M /year salary or walks. The Bills can then address RB in FA next year or draft one in 2015. There is no rush to get a RB this season. I would rather spend that pick on a potential QB like Murray, Boyd, Mettenberger, or Savage who all should be available in the 3rd round.

I think this off season pretty much proved the market for RB's has never been lower...Knowshon Moreno is only 26 years old and combined for almost 1600 yds from scrimmage in 2013, and he could barely get a nibble in Free Agency... B-)

So at #9 you think they will take the 4th best Tackle? Then in the 2nd they will get a player at the only position where we are solid? I'm not saying it won't happen but I would be super depressed if it went down like this

so did you cry in 1983 when the Bills selected the third best QB? I like the Martin pick. And we do have needs. At tackle and guard- Martin can play both

so did you cry in 1983 when the Bills selected the third best QB? I like the Martin pick. And we do have needs. At tackle and guard- Martin can play both

Are you really comparing the Kelly pick to Zack Martin? Obviously, QB is different than any other position. In addition, Kelly was their 2nd 1st round pick that year.

You just took 1 isolated example of the greatest position group in 1 draft in NFL history and used that as support to why the Bills should take the 4th ranked OT to play right tackle, in the top 10, in the deepest draft in history!! Maybe we should wait to the 6th round to find a QB because Tom Brady was a 6th rounder?

There are always exceptions but when people use these isolated exceptions to prove their point it weakens the argument. I could just as easily spin the ridiculous Kelly argument into, "no, I didn't cry when the Bills picked the 3rd best QB in 1983. I did cry when they used a 1st & 2nd to trade up and select the 4th best QB in the 2004 NFL draft."

I am not trying to pick on you but it is a huge pet peeve when people use 1 rare exception to support their argument. You could legitimately make an argument that you should take a kicker in round 1 because it once kind of worked out for Oakland.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

So with the talk from Whaley of the elite players in this draft you see them taking the 4th rated OT in the draft with the 9th overall pick

Yeah that makes perfect sense

A versatile guy ranked top 20 in most mocks who can play guard tackle and even center if needed, for a team who desperately needs to upgrade its line.

Yeah it does make sense.

Why draft a running back in the 2nd? We have holes right now, and 3rd string running back seems like it could be filled by anyone (didn't we just sign a 3rd string running back?).

If we don't keep spiller, draft someone next year when there is actually a spot there.

There are a few things kind of working here:

-The Bills could use Spiller as trade bait to move up in this draft (not likely but an option).

-The Bills may think that this is Freddy's last year. -They may have Hyde rated ahead of any RB this year (and preliminarily in 2015).

Those are just some thoughts. Don't think of Carlos Hyde as the 3rd RB like Tashard Choice. He will likely be a thousand yard back this year IMO. If you think that he is a Pro Bowl back (which I do) go for it.

There are a few things kind of working here:

-The Bills could use Spiller as trade bait to move up in this draft (not likely but an option).

-The Bills may think that this is Freddy's last year. -They may have Hyde rated ahead of any RB this year (and preliminarily in 2015).

Those are just some thoughts. Don't think of Carlos Hyde as the 3rd RB like Tashard Choice. He will likely be a thousand yard back this year IMO. If you think that he is a Pro Bowl back (which I do) go for it.

I just think its tough to draft a player at one of our strongest positions. I think we need a better backup qb, defensive end, LB depth, and O-line before we need to worry about spiller/jacksons replacement.

If Marrone really wants a RB that can run between the tackles and block, catch the ball and be a threat to score in the open field, and we know Fred is in his last 1 or 2 seasons, he needs to draft one. A few wise posters told me to keep an eye on Chris Brown's blogs during draft week as they often will provide insight as to what we might see from the Bills. Today he posted this:

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 3h

Just handful of backs that can do it all http://wp.me/plmrg-a2m

This posted same day:

@buffalobills: Number Crunch: Run game value as healthy as ever http://ow.ly/wsLkZ pic.twitter.com/hbVv916FIr

If you only watched highlights of Hyde and not his actual games, you may not realize he was kind of a one man show at times. He took over games. There were times when the passing game was almost non-existent and everyone knew he was getting the ball, and he still got 7.3 yds/carry. He is an excellent blocker. And he wears teams down and demoralizes defenses. He gets most of his yards in the 2nd half of games. I maintain that if OSU had kept giving him the ball rather than trying to run the QB so much for the big play, they win both the Big 10 championship and the Orange Bowl. He is used to being in the position where it feels like the offense has to score on every play in order to win the game. Hoping that is not the case here, but you look at RBs from teams like Alabama who hold opponents on defense and the pressure isn't on the offense as much throughout the game. His 2013 stats are misleading as well - he missed the first 3 games. If he is in an NFL offense with a legit passing game I think he would be even more effective. Playing in the Big 10 he was out there in nasty weather too, and very rarely fumbles.

I really like Andre Williams as well in later round.. but Hyde seems to fit the Marrone mold very well.

Last season it seemed like Marrone REALLY wanted to run the ball. I would not surprised to see OL-RB-TE in the first 3 rds, followed by DE-LB-Punter in some combo in the last 3 picks. If they don't get Evans, personally I would not be surprised if they don't draft a WR.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I would much rather play it out with Spiller and Jackson this year and then address other needs in the draft. We can't throw out a pick in the first three rounds this year to try and fill a need we might have next year? Makes no sense to try and address a need that doesn't happen till next season when we have a sizable amount of needs right now.

I just think its tough to draft a player at one of our strongest positions. I think we need a better backup qb, defensive end, LB depth, and O-line before we need to worry about spiller/jacksons replacement.

I agree that it might not be a need today but could be very soon. If the value is there because of the depth of this draft go for it. You may be able to extend Freddy's career by making him a 10 touch a game guy and use Spiller properly. You can get him more involved in the pass game, in space, potentially even in the return game. He could be used the way that Reggie Bush was used in New Orleans under Marrone with 12-15 touches. Hyde could be that hammer between the tackles with 18 touches or so.

Something like this:

- Hyde - 16 carries, 2 catches

- Freddy - 7 carries, 3 catches

- Spiller - 9 carries, 4 catches (plus punt returns potentially).

Edit: I love Hyde and I have seen a ton of him. He is going to be great. When I think about it though he may make those other two better as well by letting them do what they do best.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

That would be a terrible first two rounds. Rather them play it out with Spiller and Jackson. Running backs aren't breaking the bank. Even if they're looking for one wait til later. I'd hate the pick of any offensive lineman in the 1st.

I would much rather play it out with Spiller and Jackson this year and then address other needs in the draft. We can't throw out a pick in the first three rounds this year to try and fill a need we might have next year? Makes no sense to try and address a need that doesn't happen till next season when we have a sizable amount of needs right now.

I think it is hard to find RBs anymore out of college who are really the total package. You can say they are a dime a dozen, but if you look at the top RBs in the league they were all drafted pretty high.

AP - 1st round

McCoy - 2nd rd

Jamaal Charles - 3rd rd

Lynch - 1st rd

Forte - 2nd rd

Doug Martin - 1st rd

DeMarco Murray - 3rd rd

CJ Spiller - 1st rd

Eddie Lacy - 2nd rd

Le'Veon Bell - 2nd rd

Reggie Bush - 1st rd

Frank Gore - 3rd rd

Chris Johnson - 1st rd

Ryan Matthews - 1st rd

Knowsean Moreno - 1st rd

Gio Bernard - 2nd rd

You have exceptions like Arian Foster,Fred Jackson and Alfred Morris but taking a RB evaluated highly at draft time is safer than picking one up late. IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree that it might not be a need today but could be very soon. If the value is there because of the depth of this draft go for it. You may be able to extend Freddy's career by making him a 10 touch a game guy and use Spiller properly. You can get him more involved in the pass game, in space, potentially even in the return game. He could be used the way that Reggie Bush was used in New Orleans under Marrone with 12-15 touches. Hyde could be that hammer between the tackles with 18 touches or so.

Something like this:

- Hyde - 16 carries, 2 catches

- Freddy - 7 carries, 3 catches

- Spiller - 9 carries, 4 catches (plus punt returns potentially).

Edit: I love Hyde and I have seen a ton of him. He is going to be great. When I think about it though he may make those other two better as well by letting them do what they do best.

you and I are right on with this Kirby.

Of also like to add in the fact that in the last 3 seasons, both Freddy AND CJ have had some types of injuries that have kept them out of multiple games. With Freddy getting even older and CJ wearing his skirt to every game, it's extremely important to have a 3rd RB that can not only be counted on, but expected to play like a starter.

Could you imagine that EJ clicks with all the WRs, the defense clicks with Schwartz' system, the coaches click together. Were making a strong run towards the playoffs for the first time in 15 seasons... And then Freddy goes down with a broken leg and CJ with a fractured collarbone??? Now defenses just need to key in on EJ and blitz every play because they know were not going to run the ball. Or 3 in the box and load the field with DBs. Good luck getting through that with no running game.

" then they will do a RB in round 2 because they are not going to re-sign Spiller due to the fact RBs are a dime a dozen ..."

This has a logical inconsistency in it and should not be further considered. If "RB are a dime a dozen" then there is no need to draft one in the second round, is there? We have good depth for this year at RB and can get an okay back up (who may never see the field) in the 7th round or UFA. We have known definite holes at ROT, DE and LB (where we are zero, zero and 1 deep for adequate starters) and that is where the top 3 picks must go.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

Those picks would be colossal failures at 9 IMO...colossal.

I could live with Martin but would much prefer a trade back, even a couple spots, if they are going to take him because I don't think he would go to the Lions at 10. OBJ makes zero sense to me there. Or ever. Nice player, but they took Woods last year and they would need to be planning on moving Stevie if that happened.

Sadly, I have the feeling the Bills are preparing us for taking Martin - who many think is the fourth best tackle. If so, I really hope the Bills are right about him.