Holy cap room batman, this is unbelievable!

I

If this is correct, the Bills are going to have to spend a lot more than I ever imagined to be players in FA.

Oakland has $64M

Jacksonville has $59M

Cleveland has $49

Can this be right? It's from Henry Hodgson who works for NFL.com

https://twitter.com/...5245440/photo/1

That's pretty close to the numbers overthecap.com has as well...

Vikings are about $41 mil under too...

Of course the Bills would have been in really good shape were it not for the $11 million in dead money from the Fitz and Anderson deals...That same page says only three teams have more dead money ($12.07 mil) than the Bills (Panthers, Chargers, and Saints...) and the Cowboys are real close ($12.034 mil)... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Once we get rid of all the dead money from these ignorant contract signings & hopefully they won't do any other stupid things like get rid of Lawson so we have more dead money to add to what is already there we should be able to have more to spend to keep the good players we have on the roster ...

Plus if they get rid of Kold, Pears & a couple of other before the the start of the official season we should have even more cap space to extend our core players ...

Edited by T master

It's amazing that the Colts already have their franchise QB for the next 10 years and they have $41 M to spend.

Will be a different story in a few years when he gets his big deal.

Once we get rid of all the dead money from these ignorant contract signings & hopefully they won't do any other stupid things like get rid of Lawson so we have more dead money to add to what is already there we should be able to have more to spend to keep the good players we have on the roster ...

Plus if they get rid of Kold, Pears & a couple of other before the the start of the official season we should have even more cap space to extend our core players ...

dump SJ and we are heading back to top in terms of cap money also....

It's amazing that the Colts already have their franchise QB for the next 10 years and they have $41 M to spend.

They don't have him for 10 years at the bargain basement price they have him for now. They have to prepare for two years from now when they have to sign him to a new, HUGE, mega deal. Unless something happens to his progression in the next two years my guess is it will be the biggest contract in NFL history.

And they will have to spend all of that to keep him. I wonder why they haven't extended Luck yet?

Just because the Colts might want to extend him now, it might be foolish for Luck to extend now. The closer he gets to tho the final year of the contract, the higher the price tag will be. He will definately get the biggest contract in history.

Just because the Colts might want to extend him now, it might be foolish for Luck to extend now. The closer he gets to tho the final year of the contract, the higher the price tag will be. He will definately get the biggest contract in history.

That's funny considering how everyone here says we should have signed Byrd sooner, as if it's mandatory players take offers early.

If this is correct, the Bills are going to have to spend a lot more than I ever imagined to be players in FA.

Why exactly to they need to be players in FA? Have we not learned anything as fans from simply looking at what teams have done when they are significant "players" in free agency? Tell me how many Superbowls the Redskins have won or even better yet GONE TO when Dan Snyder was buying his teams in free agency for 10 straight years. Seattle, Baltimore, New York, Green Bay and New Orleans have won the last 5 Superbowls. Please tell me how big of "players" these guys were in free agency. Not even sorry to point it out, but championship teams are built from the draft. Getting an occasional player in free agency is one thing, but building a team that way just doesn't work. The cap room is significant for some of these teams, but it means very little in the grand scheme of things.

Why exactly to they need to be players in FA? Have we not learned anything as fans from simply looking at what teams have done when they are significant "players" in free agency? Tell me how many Superbowls the Redskins have won or even better yet GONE TO when Dan Snyder was buying his teams in free agency for 10 straight years. Seattle, Baltimore, New York, Green Bay and New Orleans have won the last 5 Superbowls. Please tell me how big of "players" these guys were in free agency. Not even sorry to point it out, but championship teams are built from the draft. Getting an occasional player in free agency is one thing, but building a team that way just doesn't work. The cap room is significant for some of these teams, but it means very little in the grand scheme of things.

FWIW, 15 of the 44 starters in the Super Bowl were acquired through free agency. Free agency is where you plug your holes (usually not where you find your stars). The Bills are not going to find their #1 WR in this market but they may find a starter or 2 on the OL and perhaps a run stuffing LB.

Free agency is the opposite of the top 10 pick IMO. It is rare that you find LT, elite skill players, pass rushers and QB in free agency. Those guys get picked in the top half of the 1st round and rarely hit the market. You should plug other holes in FA (RT, OG, S, LB, TE) because you can find starters at those spots. In addition, you can find depth at WR (Bills do not need depth they need a #1), and depth at QB and RB (both of which the Bills could be in the market for).

dump SJ and we are heading back to top in terms of cap money also....

And replace him with who?

Yeah, but he risks getting injured too. If money and years are meaningful most players will take the security over the unknown. His agent would just need to make sure there is a point in that deal where Luck could opt out or give him some other provision that would allow for a renegotiatiation down the line.

Edited by purple haze

I really need for fans to please, PLEASE after all these years and ralph owning the team for 50+ years to finally come to grips with something. Even if we had 100 million under the cap, we won't spend it. Ralph and more importantly Jeffery Littman will not allow it. and when the cap hits say 160 mill in 3 years or so it won't matter if we have 10 million under or 50 million under, Buffalo won't have the money to spend that much. I still think the league is going to rid themselves of teams that have proven that they can't stay competitive in today's market but increase the number of roster spots per team. I can easily see us going back to 28 teams. If a team is costing the league money (extra revenue sharing but not putting much if any back in) then the right business move is to cut those teams.

Yeah but that front office will find a way to screw that up, the Colts FO is terrible IMO.

Really? They have won a superbowl and been to numerous playoff appearances with that owner and FO yes? How many in the last 15 years for Buffalo? Ill take the colts ownership and staff over Buffalo's any day

I

That's pretty close to the numbers overthecap.com has as well...

Vikings are about $41 mil under too...

Of course the Bills would have been in really good shape were it not for the $11 million in dead money from the Fitz and Anderson deals...That same page says only three teams have more dead money ($12.07 mil) than the Bills (Panthers, Chargers, and Saints...) and the Cowboys are real close ($12.034 mil)... B-)

I think the biggest numbers difference between the Bills and those teams is Mario Williams. That's $18M right there. $18M well spent, by the way.

PromoTheRobot and others...teams like Indy would love to extend Luck's initial contract but 2011 CBA rules prohibit that from happening...love the fact that rookie contracts are more in line with fitting into the overall cap numbers that occur every year but basically, if I understand the CBA correctly, rookie contracts are for 4 or 5 years...team can't extend any contracts related to guys like Russell Wilson until the 4th year of the contract, at teams discretion...I would love if the Bills had these kind of concerns due to a hot shot rookie who is underpaid but with the exception of Alonso (if he keeps playing at his high level) Bills will unfortunately be a 2nd tier choice .for FAs and rookie contracts that we wish we could extend early to fit into our cap issues...on a side note, looks like Mr. Byrd is going to be 55 to 60 million richer by the end of the week, as he has his pick of suitors, Denver or Philly included, according to internet rumors I've seen today...Go Bills!!!

I really need for fans to please, PLEASE after all these years and ralph owning the team for 50+ years to finally come to grips with something. Even if we had 100 million under the cap, we won't spend it. Ralph and more importantly Jeffery Littman will not allow it. and when the cap hits say 160 mill in 3 years or so it won't matter if we have 10 million under or 50 million under, Buffalo won't have the money to spend that much. I still think the league is going to rid themselves of teams that have proven that they can't stay competitive in today's market but increase the number of roster spots per team. I can easily see us going back to 28 teams. If a team is costing the league money (extra revenue sharing but not putting much if any back in) then the right business move is to cut those teams.

With the mega money the NFL receives, you would think they would expand!

Really? They have won a superbowl and been to numerous playoff appearances with that owner and FO yes? How many in the last 15 years for Buffalo? Ill take the colts ownership and staff over Buffalo's any day

Since that Super Bowl win the Colts have drafted 1 pro bowler(Luck) which has been the only "can't miss" player to come out in years. They traded a 1st round pick for a bust RB and traded Jerry Hughes for Kelvin Sheppard. What had the Colts FO done in the last 6 or 7 years to impress you so much?

Oh yeah they let Peyton Manning walk too, he set all kinds of records this year BTW and took his team to the SB.

I'm serious asking, other than possibly hiring Pagano or falling into Luck, what exactly have they done that's good?

Sorry but is take the Bills brass at this point.

BTW Polian built that SB team, that FO has sucked since

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Will be a different story in a few years when he gets his big deal.

It will be interesting these next few years as teams need to lock up all these young QBs. As it stands now, Luck and Wilson would seem in line for top dollars. I think the jury is still out on Kap and RG3.

Oakland has $64M

Jacksonville has $59M

Cleveland has $49

https://twitter.com/nflukhank/status/442120775005245440/photo/1

Yup. And the Browns number includes the unsigned transition tag for Mack. It would be $59M without that.

Yeah but that front office will find a way to screw that up, the Colts FO is terrible IMO.

Actually $37.5M left after the DQ deal. $11M guaranteed. Good example of HazedandAmused's point.

That is incorrect. Bill Polian was the GM that came in and immediately drafted Peyton Manning. He remained GM until just prior to Luck's draft. Polian was fired and Ryan Grigson was hired and took Luck in his first ever draft as GM. So, no, Indy hasn't really won anything except one playoff game under this GM.

Edited by BarleyNY

Oakland has $64M

Jacksonville has $59M

Cleveland has $49

https://twitter.com/...5245440/photo/1

]not really.

look at the cap of those three teams over the past 3 to 5 years.

they never spend to the cap. (well OK, maybe Oakland did)