Bills sign Aaron Williams to extension

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 20s

According to @MikeGarafolo, it's a 4-year, $26 million extension. Average of $6.5 million per year.

Great deal if he is as productive as last year. Also, he made most of the pre-snap calls in the secondary. I think he is more valuable than Byrd.

Thought: we blame Russ for Byrd leaving. Do we give him credit for extending AWilliams?

No. You can only blame Russ on this board.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good deal for both sides. If he plays at the level of last year he is absolutely worth that. From Williams' standpoint he gets a chance to get some security and a chance to remain in Buffalo (which he seems to like).

Exactly. Security for him, good value for Bills!

Guys: Be amazed at my genius!!!

http://forums.twobil...byrd-long-term/

My OP:

"Aaron Williams will be heading into the last year of a four-year deal this year.

Who would you rather sign long-term-- Williams or Byrd?

I honestly believe that the Bills won't pay both guys, so I don't believe "sign both" is a viable answer.

A few years ago, the Steelers made Mike Wallace a great offer; he turned it down; and they gave the same deal to Antonio Brown. Do the Bills do the same thing with Williams-- i.e., give him what they were willing to pay Byrd, and then tag/trade Byrd? That is the way I am leaning."

I love it. I was thinking the same thing as I also live in Pittsburgh. And, look who is the better player. A. Brown. I predict the same will happen here. Williams will become the better safety over the long-haul.

This deal is going to look like a heck of a bargain after 2014...That's my prediction at least... :thumbsup:

That's what I was thinking. At least that two years from now is when we should look back on this and say was it a huge bargain, decent deal or we got hosed. I'd predict it will be a bargain.

Good move. I never understood why he spent two years at CB, and struggled. He was a safety at Texas, and a good one. Arrogance and poor coaching on the bills part to try him at CB. With much better coaching, he was good/really good at safety this past year, and I wonder what would have happened if he had started his career there. And, he played well as a disaster CB when he had to go back there......I attribute that, also, to his coaching. I think the Bills retained the DB coach, so I am hopefully of continued progress. And, best of all, he is not afraid to hit....so I am looking for big things from him in the next four years. Can't be critical at all at retaining him. And, actually, I prefer him to Byrd.....Byrd is a great playmaker with great reads and reflexes, but much slower than many appreciate....never could go up and play corner. I think Buffalo is a winner on how this all is turning out, and Whaley (and Brandon) got this right. In this case, I like plan B (signing Williams long term) better than plan A (signing Byrd)

Finally being proactive for a change. They have been learning the hard way what happens when you wait too long to lock up your young talent...

I think that they have been proactive in the past. They have signed young players to extensions before their contract is up.

Any contract extension "locking up" their young players involves negotiation - just as it does for players who are about to become Free Agents.

That negotiation still comes down to finding a dollar value that the team thinks matches the predicted future production of that player and the player believing that the $ value is in line with what he could get if he plays his contract out. Sometimes extensions include what looks like a "discounted" salary for the player, but the player in return for a slightly lower salary often gets an "extension" bonus and higher salary in the near term and with that bonus in hand, the player doesn't have to worry so much about injury.

To sign a young player to an extension, that player needs to be open to it AND the team and he still need to negotiate a mutually agreeable set of terms.

Your comment makes it sound like it is as simple as walking into the player's house and saying "here, we decided to extend you. Sign here".

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 33s

Aaron: "If Jairus comes back that'd be the best thing ever. Our chemistry is great, but if he doesn't come back best of luck to him." #Bills

It's a very good move to sign him now. Good move PR wise when they just lost Byrd but to me it means there is very, very little chance of signing Byrd. Not that I thought they were going to after yesterday. Possible; highly unlikely.

Or it could be viewed as a way to entice Byrd knowing he'd be paired with AW for most of their careers...

Good move. I never understood why he spent two years at CB, and struggled. He was a safety at Texas, and a good one. Arrogance and poor coaching on the bills part to try him at CB. With much better coaching, he was good/really good at safety this past year, and I wonder what would have happened if he had started his career there. And, he played well as a disaster CB when he had to go back there......I attribute that, also, to his coaching. I think the Bills retained the DB coach, so I am hopefully of continued progress. And, best of all, he is not afraid to hit....so I am looking for big things from him in the next four years. Can't be critical at all at retaining him. And, actually, I prefer him to Byrd.....Byrd is a great playmaker with great reads and reflexes, but much slower than many appreciate....never could go up and play corner. I think Buffalo is a winner on how this all is turning out, and Whaley (and Brandon) got this right. In this case, I like plan B (signing Williams long term) better than plan A (signing Byrd)

He as corner at Texas. The NFL draftniks and scouts projected him to be a better fit at the pro level as a safety.

I liked the kid after an interview he made on Buffalo Bills dot com where he talked so fluently and about country music and horses and seemed like a Genuinely down to earth intelligent guy. GOOD FOR US!

Or it could be viewed as a way to entice Byrd knowing he'd be paired with AW for most of their careers...

Possible but again, highly unlikely. To me, they are NOT going to spend $75 million this year on two contracts for safeties. If they were to spend the 50m to get Byrd locked up, they could wait the one year to see how Williams plays alongside him again. I doubt that AW is going to get more than 26m next year for four years although it's surely possible. And I always thought that if we sign Byrd to a huge contract, we get rid of him after 3 years unless we are on the verge of winning the SB, in which then it may be worth it to slightly overpay.

Good move. I suspect the Bills were willing to give Byrd what they offered plus make this deal. If so, then they are likely at the max they can offer for Byrd so will fall out once he starts fielding offers. I suppose it is possible no one will offer Byrd what he wants, but I think it is unlikley. If it was either or (Byrd or Williams) then I am happy with this outcome for lots of reasons.