Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

If they can't get a trade, just tag him, something could happen by July 15 deadline. If he signs his tag and reports to training camp ready to play, just keep him at least another season for $8.3m.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Same old bills. I hope this isn't true but history says this team would be dumb enough to let a star go for nothing with no legit replacement plan in place.

we dont know they dont have a plan per se.. Edited by 3rdand12

Same old bills. I hope this isn't true but history says this team would be dumb enough to let a star go for nothing with no legit replacement plan in place.

And you can get your life they aren't going to use the savings on other players. This goes straight to Ralph's bottom line and Littman's bonus.

If they can't get a trade, just tag him, something could happen by July 15 deadline. If he signs his tag and reports to training camp ready to play, just keep him at least another season for $8.3m.

If they tag him I'd bet you a months salary his plantar fascitis comes back mysteriously.

And you can get your life they aren't going to use the savings on other players. This goes straight to Ralph's bottom line and Littman's bonus.

Yes. The idea any "cost savings" from not signing Byrd are spent elsewhere is garbage. That money is banked right back to Grosse Point Shores, MI.

EDIT: And people wonder why the staff and possibly the football people are not happy. Their hands are tied behind their backs.

Edited by BillsVet

True . But a poor trade is better than No trade isnt it ?

In order to trade him you have to tag him. Then you have to find a trading partner who is willing to give you something tangible for a player who they can't sign to a long term deal. You have to find a trading partner who is willing to take a guy they only have for one year. No team is willing to do that for a safety with a chronic foot condition.

In order to trade him you have to tag him. Then you have to find a trading partner who is willing to give you something tangible for a player who they can't sign to a long term deal. You have to find a trading partner who is willing to take a guy they only have for one year. No team is willing to do that for a safety with a chronic foot condition.

Chronic probowl foot condition that will amazingly heal with a long term deal i betcha

If that were true he wouldn't be about to get a monster contract. You're just wrong.

If that were true he wouldn't be about to get a monster contract. You're just wrong.

'

Really? I'm wrong? Then you tell me who is lining up to trade for him.

There's a reason the Safety position has the second lowest tag number just about punters and kickers. Byrds a great safety, spending $10M or more per year on a safety is just stupid and that's why the vast majority of other teams in the NFL don't do it.

You might want to read this:

http://www.wgr550.com/Source--Bills-made--substantial--offer-to-Byrd/18497449

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

True . But a poor trade is better than No trade isnt it ?

yes but my point is if there is no one to trade to we have same situation as last year with Byrd. I want him signed and am pissed that he will leave. I don't care about the money . He is an excellent player.

Joe B is the only local journalist who isn't focused on driving followers to his twitter acct or the WGR55 website. He appears to focus entirely on unbiased, non-confrontational, analytical work and let's that speak for itself. Simply, he seems to want his work to matter and his reporting to be correct, not the first to rush out a rumor. The only media guy in WNY I respect so I believe the guy.

All over but the crying now:

@JoeBuscaglia

I'm hearing the #Bills explored all their options including a trade of Byrd and now they're unlikely to tag him.

@JoeBuscaglia

The offer to Byrd was explained to me as "substantial." The #Bills made a big effort to sign him long-term from what I'm told.

Sounds like Byrd doesn't want to be here - shocker.

I've never said I was right about it...But I have said from way back that everything about this situation screamed that Byrd (for whatever reason) simply did not want to sign long-term with the Bills unless they made him an offer that was so outrageous he could not refuse...I never really bought all the butt-hurt stuff, except for the understanding that Byrd did not want to be here, and he was upset they kept him from leaving for an extra year...I've said all along this could be as simple as Byrd wanting to play closer to home...He's a west coast kid after all...But all in all, I've had the feeling from the day the long term window closed, and Byrd could have simply signed his tender last year (like the majority of tagged players do when a long-term deal can't be work out), that he did not want to be here...And it's really just that...Nothing else... B-)

We need to also be mindful that this is a negotiation. There are sides and sources both leaking info to their advantage. We will see what tomorrow brings.

Understood but what is left to negotiate? After last year and this year what's left to discuss?

Not going to be popular but I'm fine with their decision to split. I'd love to keep Byrd but I'm just not interested in paying a single safety $10M per year.

When did you acquire the team from Ralph? If you haven't, then why would you care if the team pays Byrd $10 M? The unspent $ will just go in Ralph's pocket.

I'm skeptical about this. WGR is useless when it comes to inside info. And Whaley has implied on record that they won't let him leave for nothing.

Probably out of his hands. If it was up to Whaley Byrd would have been signed last year. This reeks of Littman/Overdorf. Other teams have signed thier players this past week but we still can't get our safety signed.

Honesty, the dude don't want to be here. We will be fine will Duke & Aaron. Go spend this money on Orakpo or a couple Guards.

If anyone hasn't noticed the Peerless Price trades don't happen anymore

Aaron Williams@ajwilliams23 34s

For everyone that keeps asking me. I have no idea about byrd's situation, that's his business. I want him back as much as y'all, Trust me!

Edited by Reed83HOF

We need to also be mindful that this is a negotiation. There are sides and sources both leaking info to their advantage. We will see what tomorrow brings.

I am admittedly very surprised the Bills are not going to tag Byrd in order to get something...anything...back in return...Especially considering this is supposed to be the deepest Draft in recent memory...Even if you work out a deal for a 4th Round pick that's like a 3rd round pick in a normal year...

Why not simply tag him...See what you can work out...And if nothing can be worked out before the Draft remove the tag? B-)

Joe B is the only local journalist who isn't focused on driving followers to his twitter acct or the WGR55 website. He appears to focus entirely on unbiased, non-confrontational, analytical work and let's that speak for itself. Simply, he seems to want his work to matter and his reporting to be correct, not the first to rush out a rumor. The only media guy in WNY I respect so I believe the guy.

I agree .

Nucci.. I have not been pleased one iota since last year about this time.

Makes you think he has asked to leave especially since being d'kd around with for all this time .

I know its early , but how is Alex C feeling lately

and so it is now picked up...

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 14s

While there had been reports the Bills would tag Jairus Byrd, from what I gather that is very unlikely. He rejected their latest offer..

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 16s

But to franchise him again puts them back where they started, the $ is very big and they still don't have his rights longterm. renting again

Edited by Reed83HOF

So...If I'm reading that correctly...The problem with tagging and trading is that other teams are being scared off by the fact that Byrd is turning down the deal Buffalo is offering? Or am I missing something?

Maybe it was as simple as the Bills finding a couple teams willing to trade for Byrd, and Byrd saying he's not interesting in signing with those teams (like Cleveland for example...A Franchise that currently seems to be a train wreck)...And the teams he is willing to sign with are unwilling to give up anything for him...It's probably just that simple...

I'm guessing once Byrd does sign elsewhere the big question will be how much more was the Bills offer?...Not that it really matters much...I think this whole scenario is just pointing to the fact that Byrd does not want to be in Buffalo...And in the end it's really not going to be about money...He's going to be rich regardless...Sounds like he wants to be rich and play where he wants to play... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Oh and F^&k LaCAnfora

Jason La Canfora@JasonLaCanfora 39s

Its not like the Bills are going to win a Super Bowl with him on the franchise tag in 2014. So take the comp pick and move on.

Joe Buscaglia@JoeBuscaglia 17s

That's substantial, all right RT @JasonLaCanfora The Bills offer to Byrd woulve made him 1 of highest paid safeties in the NFL in 1st 2 yrs

So F Byrd too

Edited by Reed83HOF

How many players that went to the highest bidder eventually ended up with a super bowl title? I'm sure they're out there but I my mind, you don't get over the hump with the highest price player at a position. In a team sport with 22 starters and a salary cap, investing in the highest priced non-QB player is usually done by teams in the bottom half of the league who have cap room and need to make a symbolic splash and it rarely works. How's Dashon Goldson's super bowl chances looking. Hell, how about Mario Williams? I just don't see the need to spend 13% of your salary cap on a $10M safety and how that equates to having a balanced roster of talented players.

So now that the Bills made a "substantial" offer--which I can only assume falls in line with what Byrd is likely to be worth on the open market (who really knows?), how convinced are we that he would've signed here for any amount of $$?

My assumption was that this was always about a number--now it sounds like it was always about hitting the open market.

Personally I'd still tag him

So...If I'm reading that correctly...The problem with tagging and trading is that other teams are being scared off by the fact that Byrd is turning down the deal Buffalo is offering? Or am I missing something?

Are there some rules about trading a tagged player that make it ugly. Does the wishful have to match his one year salary and offer a trade ?

Is it he only will be under contract for one year with no negotiations?

sorry i dont know the ins and outs of this scenario.

I am admittedly very surprised the Bills are not going to tag Byrd in order to get something...anything...back in return...Especially considering this is supposed to be the deepest Draft in recent memory...Even if you work out a deal for a 4th Round pick that's like a 3rd round pick in a normal year...

Why not simply tag him...See what you can work out...And if nothing can be worked out before the Draft remove the tag? B-)

They would likely get a compensatory pick for just letting him go, how high is the question.