Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So can Byrd regain that 4.68 speed ? I think not.

or will he just get slower ? yes probably.

He is plenty smart and a natural talent at the position and always was.

But if he was calling the secondary coverage last year , isn't that on him when the long runs , such as Blount got away from them ?

Bills screwed this up 3 years ago . And lost the business (monetary ) advantage . it is showing today when we might need to overpay him just to keep him around

Go Duke Williams !

So can Byrd regain that 4.68 speed ? I think not.

or will he just get slower ? yes probably.

He is plenty smart and a natural talent at the position and always was.

But if he was calling the secondary coverage last year , isn't that on him when the long runs , such as Blount got away from them ?

Bills screwed this up 3 years ago . And lost the business (monetary ) advantage . it is showing today when we might need to overpay him just to keep him around

Go Duke Williams !

Three years ago Byrd fell off his rookie pace. I can't exactly blame them for not extending him then. And I doubt he would have accepted what they offered.

Three years ago Byrd fell off his rookie pace. I can't exactly blame them for not extending him then. And I doubt he would have accepted what they offered.

Explain how he's had 2 All-Pro selections since then.

The anti-Byrd sentiment, much like the anti-Peters talk in late 2008/early 2009 is alarming. Dealing Byrd for a pick does not help the team win in 2014. All it proves is the Bills can't lock up their elite talent and thus are not willing to compete as other teams do.

Explain how he's had 2 All-Pro selections since then.

The anti-Byrd sentiment, much like the anti-Peters talk in late 2008/early 2009 is alarming. Dealing Byrd for a pick does not help the team win in 2014. All it proves is the Bills can't lock up their elite talent and thus are not willing to compete as other teams do.

It helps the team lock up Glenn and Dareus hopefully. Which will have more impact than Byrd. That helps us win in 2015. Sometimes you have to look a little further ahead.

Edited by FireChan

I couldn't agree more Kiko. The "be happy that you get paid to play" mentality dries me nuts!! By at my biggest pet peeve when people talk sports. The market determines what you are worth and there is little to no protection for NFL players in terms of their contract.

I would love to see Byrd back in a Bills uniform. The thing is, inevitably, unless the player in question is an upper tier (or even middle tier) starting QB, guys that get the mega-deals that they are clamoring for, rarely win in the end. They will be released before the deal is over, and end up going elsewhere, for far less money. I realize the real money is in the guarantee,,,and as much as I like Byrd, I can't really condemn the Bills if they can't get a deal done. Ever since Byrds contract situation has become an issue, I have never once got the the impression that he really wants to stay with the Bills. No matter what they offer, it won't be enough. It is not fair, I realize, but the way the NFL is designed, teams don't pay out based on past performance...hoping a deal gets done, but I just can't get down on the franchise for this one.

This may be a dumb question, but why do teams not use the transition tag more?

Byrd wants the right to negotiate in the open market, and i get that. Bills are offering a number they think is fair.I get that.

Transition tag allows the market to weigh in on which side is correct no?

I know everyone says other teams hate to negotiate for another team, but i am no sot sure i understand that, so if someone can explain i would sure appreciate it.

This may be a dumb question, but why do teams not use the transition tag more?

Byrd wants the right to negotiate in the open market, and i get that. Bills are offering a number they think is fair.I get that.

Transition tag allows the market to weigh in on which side is correct no?

I know everyone says other teams hate to negotiate for another team, but i am no sot sure i understand that, so if someone can explain i would sure appreciate it.

there is one huge difference.

an "exclusive" franchise player: not free to sign with another club.

"non-exclusive" franchise player can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days of an offer sheet. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

pretty sure the Bills used the non-exclusive tag last year and will almost certainly use it this year. teams are unlikely to give up two first round picks for Byrd.

Edited by papazoid

there is one huge difference.

an "exclusive" franchise player: not free to sign with another club.

"non-exclusive" franchise player can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match.

A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days of an offer sheet. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation.

pretty sure the Bills used the non-exclusive tag last year and will almost certainly use it this year. teams are unlikely to give up two first round picks for Byrd.

Thank you sir, and I understand all that, The two first rounders i get prevent other clubs from making any kind of offer and why i think franchise tags piss so many players off. For the clubs, mean now you got the salary plus giving up two first rounders!

So my thought is transition tag gives the best of both worlds. Player gets to go out and negotiate best deal they can, whether with their current team or another. Other clubs can look at it just like a free agent signing.

I get it would have to be once free agency died down a bit, as the amount of the offer would be on their cap number. The thing i always hear is "clubs dont want to do another clubs negotiating" I dont know what that means?

...but i am just lost why it is not used more. I would use it on Byrd.

Thank you sir, and I understand all that, The two first rounders i get prevent other clubs from making any kind of offer and why i think franchise tags piss so many players off. For the clubs, mean now you got the salary plus giving up two first rounders!

So my thought is transition tag gives the best of both worlds. Player gets to go out and negotiate best deal they can, whether with their current team or another. Other clubs can look at it just like a free agent signing.

I get it would have to be once free agency died down a bit, as the amount of the offer would be on their cap number. The thing i always hear is "clubs dont want to do another clubs negotiating" I dont know what that means?

...but i am just lost why it is not used more. I would use it on Byrd.

So if the Bills used the transition tag on Byrd, he and his agent would shop around for the best deal. Let's say Cleveland comes along and offers $9.5 million per year, then Chicago comes along and offers $10 million per year. Then Philly chimes in and offers him a gaudy $10.5 million per year. The Bills look at that and say, "holy crap, we can't afford that," and then Byrd goes to Philly and the Bills get nothing.

How does that help the Bills? Why would they do that?

It helps the team lock up Glenn and Dareus hopefully. Which will have more impact than Byrd. That helps us win in 2015. Sometimes you have to look a little further ahead.

I would have to believe most Bills fans don't want to wait until 2015 for a chance to win. Buffalo hasn't developed a lot of their own elite talent over the years, and when they have too many of those players departed either via trade or in UFA without much in return. Glenn is getting to the point where he's going to command good money as he plays a difficult position. I'm not convinced Dareus is at that point yet.

Keeping elite/very good talent and losing it simultaneously is a recipe that hasn't worked for this team. That lends itself to my opinion the team isn't investing on par with other franchises and results in the mediocrity we've seen for going on a decade.

So if the Bills used the transition tag on Byrd, he and his agent would shop around for the best deal. Let's say Cleveland comes along and offers $9.5 million per year, then Chicago comes along and offers $10 million per year. Then Philly chimes in and offers him a gaudy $10.5 million per year. The Bills look at that and say, "holy crap, we can't afford that," and then Byrd goes to Philly and the Bills get nothing.

How does that help the Bills? Why would they do that?

And I'd venture a guess that as you restricted his free agency that you wouldn't be in a position to receive a comp pick either.

As to the reason you don't want other teams negotiating for you - can be as simple as I have cap space this year while they are pushing cap hits down the line - now a contract I could have afforded is structured in a way that doesn't benefit me if I wanted to match

With combine here & seeing the players we could have a potential to get & injecting into that the possibility of our former D coordinator going to the Browns as their HC there has been articles on the possibility of Pettine knowing the situation with Byrd & Byrd liking the scheme that Pettine runs, that there is a strong possibility of Pettine trying to get Byrd to go to Cleveland per this article .

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000327473/article/cleveland-browns-interest-in-jairus-byrd-is-real

What my question is to you all is . Seeing as Cleveland has to first round picks would you franchise Byrd & then negotiate a trade with The Browns for their other first round pick ? Which i think is a no brainer !! But if Whaley is thinking in that frame do you think the Browns would go for it ?

Not only would the Browns have to pay the franchise tag price - Right ? But they would also have to give up their other first round pick . Pretty pricey .

Or would you as a Bills fan consider taking the Browns second round pick or lower for the trade of Byrd ?

Just throwing it out there, it seems as thought this talk has been increasing a bit & was wondering what fans might think of this ...

First, I'd rather sign Byrd long term. But if we have to tag him, and if they really want him, I'd definitely be okay with their other first. I may not mind their second either for Byrd, seeing as he will be gone next year if we need to tag him again this year. With the draft soo deep, a second would be okay. But I might want a 2nd and their 7th.

I am ok for trades only if the Bills know what to do with the draft picks. Unfortunately, the Bills have not had much success with draft picks they have acquired in trades. So pass. Please sign Byrd to an extension and build this team.