2014 NFL Scouting Combine

In my view, evans has one of the biggest bust potentials of anyone in the draft. I think he's only even really played organized football for a couple of years too, which is a little disconcerting.

I don't think the Bills can afford to make these types of picks.

How many receivers that dominated the SEC have busted? Obviously, it can happen but the trach record for big time SEC is really good. Stevie Johnson led the SEC in receiving yet somehow was a 7th round pick. You play against the next highest level to the NFL game after game. It's a very good litmus test for prospects.

With all this talk about Mike Evans, take a look at the Martavis Bryant kid from Clemson. Stands 6'4" and ran a 4.42, he declared as a Junior and had 42 receptions, 828 yards, and 7 TDs, with two in the bowl game. Plus, watching this kid during the combine doing his routes and catches was fluid, smooth, and appeared to have great hands. No doubt he moved up the Draft board after yesterday, dude was impressive! Also had a 39 inch vertical! Great prospect!

Very interesting backup plan.

Clowney with a 1.56 split? At 6'6" and 266 lbs? You gotta be kidding me.

GO BILLS!!!

JC was built for the combine. He's a freak. It just seems like he really doesn't have a high motor.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many receivers that dominated the SEC have busted? Obviously, it can happen but the trach record for big time SEC is really good. Stevie Johnson led the SEC in receiving yet somehow was a 7th round pick. You play against the next highest level to the NFL game after game. It's a very good litmus test for prospects.

Very interesting backup plan.

JC was built for the combine. He's a freak. It just seems like he really doesn't have a high motor.

It seems like every WR who played in the SEC "dominated" the SEC this year based on these threads and the experts. Honest question - who was it this year? Evans? Moncreif? Matthews? Beckam? Landry?

In my view, evans has one of the biggest bust potentials of anyone in the draft. I think he's only even really played organized football for a couple of years too, which is a little disconcerting.

I don't think the Bills can afford to make these types of picks.

I think biggest bust potential is Clowney.

Not saying he'll be a bust, but he's got tons of potential and some serious red flags. One interesting thing I keep seeing in his highlight reel is the number of great plays he made when he was totally unblocked .

I like the look of Evans, but most receivers, even those drafted in round 1, don't make an immediate impact.

If we take him at 9, and he's a part time receiver with 30 catches next year, people will be shouting from the rooftops about him being a bust. I wouldn't be surprised if they take him. He's got the measurable that gm's love, and how many guys have we recently drafted in a large part due to measurables? How many times did we hear last year, "you can't teach speed"? Will we be hearing" you can't teach size" this year?

But look at the number of can't miss tackles that have been drafted in the top 10. A large number of those guys end up as busts too. Same thing with highly drafted LB's. No such thing as a can't miss guy.

I wouldn't mind picking up a potential #1 receiver in this draft. We haven't had a true #1 guy since Moulds. I don't count Stevie or Lee as true #1's. You gotta take a chance on someone. And no matter who it is there will be a line of people ready to say, "I told you so" should they struggle.

There will be plenty of great players there at the Bills pick. Let's just make sure we get one.

It seems like every WR who played in the SEC "dominated" the SEC this year based on these threads and the experts. Honest question - who was it this year? Evans? Moncreif? Matthews? Beckam? Landry?

Evans had 1394 yards (20.2 ypc!!!) and 12 tds. Matthews had 1477 (13.2 ypc) and 7 tds. Moncrief had 938 yards (15.9 ypc) and 6 tds. Beckham had 1152 yards (19.5 ypc) and 8 tds. Landry had 1193 yards (15.5 ypc) and 10 tds.

IMO, Matthews is probably the most polished one at this point. However, I think he has hit his ceiling. I don't see him ever been a #1 wr. Beckham is a burner and Landry is probably the more polished of the 2. Both are intriguing but I think they are similar to guys we have on the team already. I didn't watch Moncrief enough to comment on him.

I just see Evans as the guy who is mostly likely to become a star at the next level and a true #1. Obviously, there are concerns but it's a go big or go home type pick. Plus, with the other wrs, he doesn't need to be the #1 one right away.

Clowney ran an unofficial 4.47 40. Holy sh*t.

He's a freak. Imagine if he had Kyle Williams' motor.

Evans had 1394 yards (20.2 ypc!!!) and 12 tds. Matthews had 1477 (13.2 ypc) and 7 tds. Moncrief had 938 yards (15.9 ypc) and 6 tds. Beckham had 1152 yards (19.5 ypc) and 8 tds. Landry had 1193 yards (15.5 ypc) and 10 tds.

IMO, Matthews is probably the most polished one at this point. However, I think he has hit his ceiling. I don't see him ever been a #1 wr. Beckham is a burner and Landry is probably the more polished of the 2. Both are intriguing but I think they are similar to guys we have on the team already. I didn't watch Moncrief enough to comment on him.

I just see Evans as the guy who is mostly likely to become a star at the next level and a true #1. Obviously, there are concerns but it's a go big or go home type pick. Plus, with the other wrs, he doesn't need to be the #1 one right away.

He's a freak. Imagine if he had Kyle Williams' motor.

Mathews put up those numbers with nobodies at QB. I'd be happy with him in rd 2.

Mathews put up those numbers with nobodies at QB. I'd be happy with him in rd 2.

Agreed, he's a solid player but I don't know if he is the exact type of receiver the Bills need. I don't see him as a huge red zone guy, so basically what he is really good at, is stuff Woods and SJ are good at. It's not a knock against him but more of a fit for the Bills. The Bills need a red zone/ potential #1 wr and I don't see Matthews being that guy, Could be wrong though,

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10510240/adam-muema-says-god-told-leave-nfl-scouting-combine

Red flag if I've ever heard of one. Texas A&M had a WR with a similar premonition where God told him A&M would beat Alabama and then he would leave the team go on a "religious discovery". He has not been heard from related to football since.

Martavis Bryant, this kid is going to be a stud in the NFL...check out his YouTube Highlights, it's worth the watch...

Trust me...this kid declared as a Junior, he's going to be gold. And his 2 TDs in the bowl game, Red Zone, check this one out...nice!

http://collegespun.c...-from-tajh-boyd#

Edited by BigBuff423

Martavis Bryant, this kid is going to be a stud in the NFL...check out his YouTube Highlights, it's worth the watch...

Trust me...this kid declared as a Junior, he's going to be gold. And his 2 TDs in the bowl game, Red Zone, check this one out...nice!

http://collegespun.c...-from-tajh-boyd#

That's not something I want to see again as an OSU fan, lol, as I still have nightmares. I love Bryant. Do keep in mind those were 2nd and 3rd team DBs out there for the Bucks, 6 inches shorter.

More impressive?

DT: Aaron Donald - 4.65 at 285 lbs and 35 reps

DE: Clowney: 4.47 at 266 lbs and 21 reps

P: Pat O'Donnel - 4.62 at 220 lbs and 23 reps.

Most impressive:

1.56 split.

Donald was VERY impressive as well.

Are you making this a function of reps in the BP? That's a test of endurance more than anything else and it stands to reason a strong guy with shorter arms is gonna have more reps.

GO BILLS!!!

That's not something I want to see again as an OSU fan, lol, as I still have nightmares. I love Bryant. Do keep in mind those were 2nd and 3rd team DBs out there for the Bucks, 6 inches shorter.

Ha! Sorry Bro, didn't mean to trigger any PTSD symptoms, lol....

And I understand your caution, but that was merely a highlight, if you look at the rest of the information and what highlights are available, this kid is something pretty good to great....his Combine numbers don't lie and he had decent numbers for a Junior...not to mention, I didn't even know WHO this kid was until I watched the Combine yesterday and what really took me by surprise was his on field drills that looked better than most of the other guys out there...what else I didn't see in the highlights, selfish gamemanship...i'm sure he celebrates, but he usually did a couple head bobs and gave the ball to the official, I like that...if you haven't watched what highlights are available (other than the one that gives you chills), do yourself a favor and watch them...then look up his numbers at the Combine, if you don't already know them...pretty impressive...and with the talent depth in this Draft he will probably last until the late 2nd maybe 3rd...some will say later, but when you get the NFL's attention at the Combine there's usually ONE team that will press a round early just to have him on their roster...

Honestly, I'm glad he had a good 40 time but I really didn't know how much it matter. You don't just dominate the SEC, the conference with the best defensive backs in the country, if you aren't a legit wr. How many big time SEC Wrs become busts on the next level?

Well it isn't a complete list but after finishing in the top 5 for SEC receiving and not producing much (I'm only using 2007 - 2010 to give them a chance to develop or not)

Jeff Fuller

TJ Moe

Shay Hodge

Darvin Adams

Greg Childs

Chase Coffman

Brandon Lafell

DJ Hall

Lucas Taylor

Kenny McKinley

So 10 out of 20 giving them a 50% success rate. It really isn't a great indicator when someone lights up the SEC at the WR position whether or not they will be successful at the next level.

This was going to be next point above but I will put it down here. It appeared to be a down year for defense in the SEC this year. Spread offenses have jumped ahead of defenses. Alabama was the only team in the conference that didn't give up 20+ points/game this last year. Meanwhile every team except Florida(!) averaged at least 20 points/game.