Who do you want to be the next DC?

Who do you want for the next Bills DC?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Bills DC?

• Jim O'Neil (Bills OLB coach)
    • Donnie Henderson (Bills DB coach)
    • Asst from another NFL team (name him, please)
    • College DC or HC (name him, please)
    • Wade Phillips
    • Mike Singletary
    • Steve Spagnuolo
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Kirby Smart
    • Pepper Johnson

I'm curious to see what the board sentiment is here.

There are good reasons for continuity, for Wade, for young blood, for other experienced voices in the room.

Obviously we don't have a lot of names outside of retreads and a few of our own assistants. I'm also interested in John Chavis at LSU, but I don't feel like I know enough. Could merge this with the DC candidates thread, and I'll add anyone that makes sense to this poll, but cast your votes!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted O'Neil. If it is true Pettine wants him as DC I have to assume O'Neil understands Pettines scheme pretty well.

This would mean the D wouldn't have to start over again with a completely clean slate next season.

Edited by CodeMonkey

W A D E

The man has a track record of taking over bad defenses and making them good in one season.

With the talent we have plus the off season to acquire missing pieces we could very well have a better defense next year than we did this year.

Edited by reddogblitz

I'd go with Wade Phillips, he's been successful as a DC every where he has been.

I go Wade as well...He's a vet DC and I think the transition would be easier...Houston had one of the poorer Defenses in sacks and takeaways, but still finished in the top 10...Wade can coach Defense...A 1st time DC would scare me to death... B-)

Too much money?

Money might have something to do with it. Not that "Ralph is cheap", although he is notoriously worse when it comes to coaches than players. I just think Smart is in a good spot at Bama, and since it's just another DC job, it would take a lot of dough to move him. And even with the cash, he still might not be interested.

I would love to see him reunited with Dareus and the hiring would all but guarantee Mosley at #9.

Edited by DrDareustein

Money might have something to do with it. Not that "Ralph is cheap", although he is notoriously worse when it comes to coaches than players. I just think Smart is in a good spot at Bama, and since it's just another DC job, it would take a lot of dough to move him. And even with the cash, he still might not be interested.

I would love to see him reunited with Dareus and the hiring would all but guarantee Mosley at #9.

All true, but it would be truly GREAT to have him "in place" if you know what I mean......

Voted O'Neill, but I bet he follows Pettine. If we scrap the system that was in place, I'd vote Wade, although I can't see him coming here again.

The last thing we should do is scrap the system in place with the personnel we have at the moment. And while I think Wade would absolutely LOVE the talent on this team, it might take a while before the players love him as much as they do Henderson. We could do a lot worse than Wade, though. He's a genuine defensive guru.

GO BILLS!!!

I voted for mike singletary. Id love to see him come in as the new DC. He would help marroe in changing the culture and I guarantee no one would be taking a play off. Id love to see how he would handle Byrd. I think he's got the perfect mindset for how defense should be played. He's hard nosed and doesn't take **** from anyone . I think his personality would fit nicely here in buffalo.

I begrudgingly voted for Wade. the guy can coach defense.... Like most fans i still hated his benching of Flutie but I imagine they will get over this if he coaches a top 5 defense.

Is there any bad blood between Wade and the organization that would prevent from this getting the job?

Edited by JuanGuzman

I voted O'Neil. If it is true Pettine wants him as DC I have to assume O'Neil understands Pettines scheme pretty well.

This would mean the D wouldn't have to start over again with a completely clean slate next season.

He may be very bright, but he sure doesn't have much experience -

DC at Towson State

Recruiting coord & safeties coach at Eastern Michigan

Def quality control (shade more than paid intern) at Jets

Assistant DB coach Jets

LB coach Bills

While I like the idea of continuity of scheme and he might be a true undiscovered young genius, that is not the resume of a NFL DC candidate. If they put him in charge, it is because they see some greatness in him, not because he worked his way up the ladder. To be clear, I am not dumping on him, but I am saying that if he gets the job it is because they see potential in him - not because he has shown that he can "do it"

I voted for mike singletary. Id love to see him come in as the new DC. He would help marroe in changing the culture and I guarantee no one would be taking a play off. Id love to see how he would handle Byrd. I think he's got the perfect mindset for how defense should be played. He's hard nosed and doesn't take **** from anyone . I think his personality would fit nicely here in buffalo.

Is that the same Singletary who likes to drop trou in front of his players when he's upset and who couldn't get anything out of the 49ers incredible talent? The same 49ers who made the NFC championship the year after he got canned. I'll pass on that clown.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

One name I haven't seen mentioned that I wonder about is Ken Norton Jr. Man has got to be a wealth of defensive knowledge. Played under Tom Landry in the flex defense. Played for the SB winning Ds for Cowboys and 49ers (I think). Has been LB coach for Seattle for since 2010.

Edited by reddogblitz

Wow Wade is walking away with it. Not that I have a problem with that, he's who I would like. I don't think its gonna happen though. But I never thought that Bruce Willis was actually dead during the sixth sense, so I could be wrong.

He may be very bright, but he sure doesn't have much experience -

DC at Towson State

Recruiting coord & safeties coach at Eastern Michigan

Def quality control (shade more than paid intern) at Jets

Assistant DB coach Jets

LB coach Bills

While I like the idea of continuity of scheme and he might be a true undiscovered young genius, that is not the resume of a NFL DC candidate. If they put him in charge, it is because they see some greatness in him, not because he worked his way up the ladder. To be clear, I am not dumping on him, but I am saying that if he gets the job it is because they see potential in him - not because he has shown that he can "do it"

I think the only reason he's up for that DC job is because Pettine wants to be able to run his defense but will be busy being a HC so he needs someone that already knows his scheme and habits. I dont think that O'Neil is ready to be a DC on his own for any other team. JMO.

Edited by DrDareustein

Spags was a good coach and had a terrible run of injuries while a head coach in ST. Louis.

If I recall he was aggressive and did beat Brady. The Bills could do worse.

I could deal with Spags for the reasons you detail, and I could be persuaded on Wade.

I do think that the poll skews his way because of the history, a sense of unfinished business, and the fact that he is such a known quantity. Does that all outweigh ANOTHER switch of system? I'm not sure.

I'm intrigued by Norton and some of the college names tossed about, but I think most of the college guys are in better situations than they would be with the Bills. It really has to be somebody who has a hunger for the NFL.

While continuity might be best, the names in-house right now don't really thrill me.

I'm a "no" on Schwartz, and a "meh" on Singletary

Maybe he hates Satan Saban and wants to get the eff out of BFE Tuscaloosa

No to Wade simply because he will change scheme. I think this defense if it stays the same with Henderson or O'neill taking over at DC will progress even further as our players will be more comfortable in the scheme. Can we please be smart for once and actually have some scheme continuity?

LV

No to Wade simply because he will change scheme. I think this defense if it stays the same with Henderson or O'neill taking over at DC will progress even further as our players will be more comfortable in the scheme. Can we please be smart for once and actually have some scheme continuity?

LV

Nice thing about Wade is that, although his base preference is a 3-4, he's demonstrated that he's willing to adjust the scheme to fit the players. One of my favorite Wade memories was when the Bills got so thin at LB he couldn't play a 3-4 and surprised the Fins with a 4-3 alignment. It was an entertaining three hours of watching the Dolphins offense collectively say "What? What the !@#$ is this? What do we do?"