Who do you want to be the next DC?

Who do you want for the next Bills DC?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Bills DC?

• Jim O'Neil (Bills OLB coach)
    • Donnie Henderson (Bills DB coach)
    • Asst from another NFL team (name him, please)
    • College DC or HC (name him, please)
    • Wade Phillips
    • Mike Singletary
    • Steve Spagnuolo
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Kirby Smart
    • Pepper Johnson

Here's one in the plus column for Wade - he has been through the ringer as a HC and likely will not be feeling the hunger to take on that position elsewhere. If it's going really well here, we can probably count on him to stay. I still think a scheme shift is dangerous in terms of what it means for putting together a roster, but the guy has had success virtually everywhere as a DC.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2010 the Houston Texans' had the 31st ranked Defense in the NFL. In 2011, Wade "Son of Bum" Phillips took over as DCand they improved the to #2. And that included changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with Mario playing LineBacker.

I saw an article about Bum's D and it's not your grandfather's 3-4. Lineman play gaps not over the center and tackles. He also switched to 4-3 on 3rd down.

No excuses necessary.

They also added a probowl corner, high draft pick corner coming into year two, and I believe a probowl safety to what rated as the worst secondary in the history of the nfl.... He accomplished a lot but in 2010 you and I could've lined up at corner and it might not have been worse, and then they added premiere talent to replace those gaping can't be schemed around holes.

I vote for Pepper Johnson. He has the Defensive chops for the Coordinator job and comes from a proven program, ala Patsies, knows our nemesis maybe better than anyone else out there and from what the Pats fans are saying, it's a big loss for the team and the players loved the guy. That's my vote...if not him...then I just hope BILLS are original and "forward thinking" the way Brandon said they would be when he took over...

I'd like to see Wade back but I don't know if Mario would share my opinion.

Why not? Mario was off to his best start ever under Wade with 5 sacks in 5 games and tons of pressure before getting hurt. Mario would continue to flourish I would think.

GO BILLS!!!

Why not? Mario was off to his best start ever under Wade with 5 sacks in 5 games and tons of pressure before getting hurt. Mario would continue to flourish I would think.

GO BILLS!!!

He also left with what seemed like an explicit desire to not play olb. I'd be curious behind closed doors what he'd say. I think he'd play it well but not sure he'd be thrilled by it.

I begrudgingly voted for Wade. the guy can coach defense.... Like most fans i still hated his benching of Flutie but I imagine they will get over this if he coaches a top 5 defense.

Oh, you mean the benching of Flutie w little notice just prior to the Titans playoff game, even though he'd been winning and had established himself as the hot hand? Yeah, I hated that more than any move any Bills coach ever made. Still, that was an offensive move (in more ways than one) that I can forgive because he'd be our Defensive co-ordinator. Nothing I liked more than when we had really good D.

No need to reply, I shouldn't have even responded about this age old debate, but you brought it up :)

There's Shiites and Sunnis and they ain't never gonna agree

Oh, you mean the benching of Flutie w little notice just prior to the Titans playoff game, even though he'd been winning and had established himself as the hot hand? Yeah, I hated that more than any move any Bills coach ever made. Still, that was an offensive move (in more ways than one) that I can forgive because he'd be our Defensive co-ordinator. Nothing I liked more than when we had really good D.

This, also, the Flutie benching wasn't his call. Plus, Flutie was a chump riding the coattails of that good defense at that point. The league had the little man figured out.

Anyway, this is about D-Coordinators.

Im seeing Gregg Williams being discussed places. Thoughts? Opinions?

Didn't know he was an option, but if he is, I'd love to see it. There are some players on this D that could be downright scary if someone could get them to play with an edge (looking at you Marcel)...

I posted this in the other thread but I'll put it here too. Stats on Wade Phillips.

He's coached a team with a top 10 defense (judged by yds) 7 of the last 8 years. He's also coached teams that were top 7 against the run 9 of the last 10 years (7 of those were top 5 and 4 were top 3). Say what you will, the guy knows how to coach defense.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/PhilWa0.htm

If it weren't for the history here the fans would be screaming for a guy with his credentials who we were so lucky to have available and willing to come to Buffalo right after our DC dipped. Not to mention a guy with decades of experience to help our newb coaching staff, and also a players coach to buffer and balance out Marrone's no bull **** approach.

Honestly, it has to be Wade. Anything else is putting personal sentiment above winning.

No need to reply, I shouldn't have even responded about this age old debate, but you brought it up :)

There's Shiites and Sunnis and they ain't never gonna agree

I hated Wade Phillips for over 10 years for that, but it seems that the order was handed down from on high. Even if it was his call, which based on comments by Eric Moulds and others it appears it wasn't, he since admitted that he should have started Flutie. For me that's enough to forgive and forget. Well, forgive anyway.

Edited by Rob's House

Chuck Bullough (I'll save you the Google ... DC at Syracuse) ;)

Son of the infamous Hank? No thanks!

"They took the sail out of our winds" He sure was good for a laugh.

Now that you guys mention it, Bullough could be a candidate. And his son is coming out of college this year and plays MLB...

He also left with what seemed like an explicit desire to not play olb. I'd be curious behind closed doors what he'd say. I think he'd play it well but not sure he'd be thrilled by it.

I wonder if his reluctance toward playing OLB was due to his upcoming payday. DE > OLB

Hes already gotten paid so if that was the sticking point before I'd guess it would be less now.

Whats a matter with you people? Why would you want to start over on defense. The best case scenario would be to retain O'neil and keep everyone at their positions. That probably will not happen because Pettine needs a whole staff for CLE. We need to BUILD on last year, not start over. Everyone wants to think we have to hit the reset button because we lost one guy. We have staff that learned from him last year.

This is why I thought Pettine to the Browns would not be a good fit. Its so late and he already stretched his staff when he left the Jets, now he is going to stretch it even more.

Voted O'Neill, but I bet he follows Pettine. If we scrap the system that was in place, I'd vote Wade, although I can't see him coming here again.

I cant see Marrone being smart enough to think to reach out to him. Wade is my choice too though. I have long since realized that the Bills organization doesnt think like me and I will never get what I want out of them. So I just sit and cheer for whoever the boys in blue are running around the Ralph on Sunday. While being somewhat critical of certain people LOL.

Perry Fewell

Never should have let him go.

RT @PFCentral: Bills do have an interest in speaking with former head coach Wade Phillips

PFCentral is basically an Incarcerated Bob wannabe. The guy has some contacts but no one is breaking news to him. He just throws a bunch of speculation out and is right once in a while.

FWIW The frightened lemur shot down any possibility of Wade or Greggggggggggo. I know he's a paid mouthpiece but he's a hell of a lot more credible than a basement blogger.

I would like to see Wade back, especially to add some veteran savvy to the coaching staff. I like Marrone and Hackett but I think the old dog can still teach the young guns some tricks. But I'm certainly not gonna hold my breath.

I think we'll probably see either Henderson promoted, or some protege from an established coaching tree a la Pettine. EDIT: Maybe Pepper Johnson would fit the "Bill?"

Edited by uncle flap