Who do you want to be the next DC?

Who do you want for the next Bills DC?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Bills DC?

• Jim O'Neil (Bills OLB coach)
    • Donnie Henderson (Bills DB coach)
    • Asst from another NFL team (name him, please)
    • College DC or HC (name him, please)
    • Wade Phillips
    • Mike Singletary
    • Steve Spagnuolo
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Kirby Smart
    • Pepper Johnson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Wade. He would be the best quality coach for the Bills. He is able to create an defense that makes the most of whatever talent he is given. I hope they keep the aggressive style of play though, but become more disciplined about the run and setting the edge.

But it does not matter what I want, Marrone has shown me poor judgement in coaching decisions other than Pettine, and will go with Henderson or O'neil. Although I think the Bill's will not hold O'neil back, and will let him follow Pettine.

I think Donnie Henderson is getting a bit of a raw deal on this board to be honest. His D at the Jets resembled the Pettine D here last year. Attacking, decent against the pass, stinking against the run. Okay, his defense in Detroit was awful, but the year he was in Detroit everything was awful. He might not be an exciting hire, but I don't necessarily think it would indicate "giving up". From everything you hear the players like him (Jarius really likes him) and he has the respect of the locker room.

He isn't as qualified as Wade Phillips... don't get me wrong... but I don't think that's going to happen.

Lovie Smith?

Ray Horton? Cardinals

from Buffalo Rumblings

Last week, the Bills added former Tampa Bay safeties coach Jeff Hafley to their coaching staff as a Defensive Assistant. Many speculated that this could be a preemptive move if Pettine departed. Marrone confirmed only that Hafley's role could change if Pettine leaves.

Buffalo's two strongest in-house candidates to replace Pettine, should it come to that, are defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson and linebackers coach Jim O'Neil.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/1/21/5330288/nfl-coaching-rumors-mike-pettine-browns-bills-dc

I want the Bills to keep the same system we ran under Pettine. It was the most exciting style of defense I can remember a Bills team running in decades, even including the Wade years and the SB years. Whoever can be effective with the same attacking system (Oneill? Hebderson?) is good with me.

Wow Wade is walking away with it. Not that I have a problem with that, he's who I would like. I don't think its gonna happen though. But I never thought that Bruce Willis was actually dead during the sixth sense, so I could be wrong.

LOL great post!

We should be able to get pretty much whomever we want. It's a great DC job taking over a D that sent 4 guys to pro bowl along with some very talented other young starters including Kiko DOY (or will be!), Gilmore, Mcluvin , Lawson, A. Williams... Also, its a position that led to a DC landing a HC gig the next yr off a LOSING team..... That's VERY rare... Of the jobs left out, this has to be at top of any Defesive guys "wants". With the talent we have on that side of ball, and being in year 2 of O system with QB who will have full offseason to develop... This D can be EVEN BETTER than last yr if the O can avoid so many errors.

Lovie Smith?

Ray Horton? Cardinals

from Buffalo Rumblings

Last week, the Bills added former Tampa Bay safeties coach Jeff Hafley to their coaching staff as a Defensive Assistant. Many speculated that this could be a preemptive move if Pettine departed. Marrone confirmed only that Hafley's role could change if Pettine leaves.

Buffalo's two strongest in-house candidates to replace Pettine, should it come to that, are defensive backs coach Donnie Henderson and linebackers coach Jim O'Neil.

http://www.buffaloru...browns-bills-dc

If i'm O'neill... i'd WANT the Bills job over going with Pettine to Cle. In Cle, if he had success, it could be viewed like the Jets with Rex and Pettine.. In B-Lo, he can take the D the Pettine built, ADD more talent and have much better personnel to work with in Cleveland. If he can re-produce what Pettine did last yr and Bills can take steps forward on O, this D can be even more effective in yr 2 and would prob keep it VERY similar to what Pettine did.

Tweet from Wade, although I think its 30 taken, unless I missed something the last couple of hours.

IoLTRR-y_normal.jpegWade Phillips@sonofbumJan 22

Only 32 DC jobs and 31 are taken

Retweeted by Tim Graham

Is this legit? Holy crap, Wade's putting it out there. I will be very disappointing if we don't at least kick the tires. I think Wade also said that the last 3 teams he went to, they made the playoffs in their 1st year! One could argue that our personnel is just as good as Houston's.

sorry i haven't followed this thread so maybe this was discussed....but i will ask anyway...

all else aside, do we even have the personnel to run Wade's defense?

if not, i can't fathom blowing up the roster again to accomodate him. if we do....? well that might be fun.

anyway, are the players there for it? anyone?

can anyone answer this simple question?

I think Donnie Henderson is getting a bit of a raw deal on this board to be honest. His D at the Jets resembled the Pettine D here last year. Attacking, decent against the pass, stinking against the run. Okay, his defense in Detroit was awful, but the year he was in Detroit everything was awful. He might not be an exciting hire, but I don't necessarily think it would indicate "giving up". From everything you hear the players like him (Jarius really likes him) and he has the respect of the locker room.

He isn't as qualified as Wade Phillips... don't get me wrong... but I don't think that's going to happen.

I agree Gunner! Why is the question? Besides, according to multiple reports, the players on the team love him. He's in Hawaii with the defensive pro bowl players right now. Also look at the development of A.Williams, McKelvin, and Robey under his tutelage. Make Donnie the guy and improve the defense in the draft.