Who do you want to be the next DC?

Who do you want for the next Bills DC?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want for the next Bills DC?

• Jim O'Neil (Bills OLB coach)
    • Donnie Henderson (Bills DB coach)
    • Asst from another NFL team (name him, please)
    • College DC or HC (name him, please)
    • Wade Phillips
    • Mike Singletary
    • Steve Spagnuolo
    • Jim Schwartz
    • Kirby Smart
    • Pepper Johnson

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll wade into the pool here on the subject (pun intended). I voted for O'Neil. Do I think he's currently a better DC than Wade Phillips? No. Wade has been a defensive minded guy pretty much his entire career and has made his proverbial hay in that arena. Just looking at the last 20 years in whatever capacity he's been with a team, 10 of those years the teams were top-10 in defense. So why O'Neil over Phillips? For me it comes down to continuity. Last year this team broke the all time sack record set by our Super Bowl Bills of the 90's. The team doesn't need a new system with new schemes, so much as they need better linebacker play. I seriously doubt that happens with a new DC. The Bills need to add more talented OLB's to the team. I think the current system, which O'Neil knows, will work just fine then.

Would Marrone have the brass to hire Wade? I know he grabbed Pettine, but Wade might cast too large a shadow for visor-man.

Wade's days as a HC are behind him I imagine, so I doubt his shadow is all that great any longer...

can anyone answer this simple question?

We absolutely do...Though I'm sure there will need to be a tweak here and there...Let's not forget that Rex Ryan and Pettine come from a base 3-4 tree as well...The Bills have quite a few players on Defense that would fit well into Wade's scheme... B-)

I'll wade into the pool here on the subject (pun intended). I voted for O'Neil. Do I think he's currently a better DC than Wade Phillips? No. Wade has been a defensive minded guy pretty much his entire career and has made his proverbial hay in that arena. Just looking at the last 20 years in whatever capacity he's been with a team, 10 of those years the teams were top-10 in defense. So why O'Neil over Phillips? For me it comes down to continuity. Last year this team broke the all time sack record set by our Super Bowl Bills of the 90's. The team doesn't need a new system with new schemes, so much as they need better linebacker play. I seriously doubt that happens with a new DC. The Bills need to add more talented OLB's to the team. I think the current system, which O'Neil knows, will work just fine then.

I agree with all of this... my question would be whether he can call the defense since he has never been a DC. Marrone will need to decide.

I voted for Wade. He always has been a great defensive coach. I liked him when he was with the Bills (both as DC and HC). I also am impressed by the fact that, notwithstanding the fact that he has no financial reason to work (I heard on the radio yesterday that he is making over $2m from the Texans whether he coaches this year or not), he still has that drive and seems to want to come back to Buffalo.

I think that it would be great if he could come back to Buffalo and be successful given the way it ended here last time for him. We have not been in the playoffs since he was HC (and as I recall he has the highest winning percentage of any Bills HC). Maybe we can reverse all the bad karma since his departure.

As an aside, I know people who knew him in Buffalo. Everyone always said that he was a great guy. Interesting fact, he lived on the same street as Scotty Bowman.

Poor Pettine is getting blasted locally for the presser yesterday. He had no clue how to answer the question about the offense and was all about Brian Hoyer. The two things no one wants to hear. They also confirmed he has no say in personnel, especially on the offensive side. He is going to need a ton of help. No offense to him, this is his big chance. But he came off as very uninformed. They asked him one question where he said "well, I was a head coach in HS..."

In Buffalo? We'll hear from the national guys first, then they will retweet it.

It's funny how different papers and writers spin things. Seems like the Akron papers are more negative than Cleveland papers. I read some positive stuff about his comments re. the offense.

Also, maybe it's just me-- but I totally agree that Hoyer looks like the real deal.

Surprised we haven't heard a peep from a credible source about the bills' big plan

You are absolutely correct. Most of the local guys seem to have burned all of their bridges with both the Bills and Sabres because of their snark.

I want the Bills to keep the same system we ran under Pettine. It was the most exciting style of defense I can remember a Bills team running in decades, even including the Wade years and the SB years. Whoever can be effective with the same attacking system (Oneill? Hebderson?) is good with me.

With Wade we had a great defense but Teddy Cottrell ran very vanilla schemes, that defense was pure talent.

He's a damn good DC, if you can get over Bountygate.

He's simply not that great. He was not getting renewed before bounty gate even hit the press. He was predictable and stale.

I am not sure if this has been said in this thread yet--

But I did some digging, and I saw that Jim Schwartz and Marrone worked on the same staff in Tennessee in 2001. I didn't realize there was that connection--and it makes me wonder whether he could be a guy they might be looking at seriously.

While that's not true, Schwartz did hire Crossman and stand by him long term so... There could be a word of mouth friendship there.

Edited by NoSaint

He was predictable and stale.

I wouldn't go that far. He took a Washington defense that was at the bottom of the league and immediately turned them into a top 5 defense (I remember Joe Gibbs made a push for him). He had great results in his first 2 years in New Orleans, and Sean Payton thought so highly of him he personally took a $250K paycut to get him on board. He's very aggressive and his attacking schemes would be a great match for our personnel and philosophy.

Did he get stale after 3 years? Maybe. But seriously, the Bills can't keep a DC for more than 1 year - the last thing I'm worried about is if our defense is going to be stale in 2016-2017.

Now if you want to argue that his coaching won't be the same without a bounty program in place, well, that might be a concern.

I have no issues with him or Wade coming on board. My guess is we will promote from within though.

I posted this in the other thread but I'll put it here too. Stats on Wade Phillips.

He's coached a team with a top 10 defense (judged by yds) 7 of the last 8 years. He's also coached teams that were top 7 against the run 9 of the last 10 years (7 of those were top 5 and 4 were top 3). Say what you will, the guy knows how to coach defense.

http://www.pro-footb...hes/PhilWa0.htm

If it weren't for the history here the fans would be screaming for a guy with his credentials who we were so lucky to have available and willing to come to Buffalo right after our DC dipped. Not to mention a guy with decades of experience to help our newb coaching staff, and also a players coach to buffer and balance out Marrone's no bull **** approach.

Honestly, it has to be Wade. Anything else is putting personal sentiment above winning.

I hated Wade Phillips for over 10 years for that, but it seems that the order was handed down from on high. Even if it was his call, which based on comments by Eric Moulds and others it appears it wasn't, he since admitted that he should have started Flutie. For me that's enough to forgive and forget. Well, forgive anyway.

Did I miss something, and sorry to re-hash, but did this Flutie guy play special teams? If that was the case, and he was on the bench after that Johnson guy gave the Bills the lead against the eventual AFC Super Bowl Representative, with almost no time left, the special teams coach should have been fired.

I think a lot of people lose perspective of what happened. It was that Flutie guy who had a chance to win a playoff game the year before but lost a fumble inside the 5 yard line on a weak hit.

The QB decision against that Titans D was a no-brainer, go with the someone who could get it down the field, they were a very tough team up front but their safeties were aging and everyone knew that. Couple that with Ralph having a hard on to beat Bud and there you have it.

I don't think most people realize that the coaches and owner probably didn't have much confidence in the "people's choice" QB because of his limitations and track record based on what happened the prior season against the fish. The Johnson decision maybe didn't sit well with the simple minded fans but anyone who understands the game knew this was the was best chance to win that particular game.