Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough pill to swallow. He was the only sure thing we had. Not bullish on this defense moving forward next year. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

We will survive. Consider the fact that a guy like Gus Bradley bolted the Seahawks, and they didn't miss a beat (and their new guy--Quinn-- supposedly is the new hot HC candidate).

Because it's a promotion rather than a lateral move. Teams can block lateral moves for any of their coaches, but not promotions. Pettine will only take coaches with him who he is able and willing to promote.

As for why he took a job he "didn't intend to keep for atleast two years"...

You don't know what his intentions were when he came aboard. He obviously wanted the job when he took it, but what he considered to be an opportunity too good to pass up came along.

You don't want to deny a man what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to follow his career arch goals.

Simply be thankful for his time here, wish him the best, and move on.

I think it's beyond clear that the Pettine's goal was a head coach's job asap. Why else would he leave the Jets for exactly the same job?

The goal was to get out from under Rex, and prove what he could do with a team he didn't select. The record-setting sacks, picks, etc....shows all of this.

If we had an average offense this past year in terms of points scored, we would have easily been in the playoffs.

I believe his plan was to stay here for 2 years, and then get a head coach job. All that's happened is: things have happened faster than expected, he did a bettter job with our defnse than expected, and the Browns sucked more than expected. That last part is something Pettine may want to consider: he's not going to fix a bad organization all by himself.

Ask Rex Ryan how well that works.

The Bills will be fine and Marrone said he will get a guy in here with the same aggressive D mindset. They'd better be taking Pettines office keys now, security badge, his ipad and all confidential data associated with the Bills. That's what my company does the moment someone leaves here, lol. He is the enemy now!

Sounds done...

AdamSchefter

Browns expected to offer their HC job to Bills DC Mike Pettine, per multiple league sources, via @mortreport and me. Need to work out deal.

1/23/14, 9:14 AM

ChrisBrownBills

Report: Pettine to be offered Browns job http://t.co/r0Zzf7RTmO

1/23/14, 9:18 AM

Edited by Rubes

I'm choosing to look at this as a positive. The longer Pettine was here, the longer Marrone could hide his own ineptitude and hold this team back. In my opinion, with our small market status and unwillingness to spend to the cap, we need to have a sharp head coach and Marrone is far from that. I think this move will facilitate a change in head coach faster. Just have to hope that the FO hits on that position next time.

If the Browns do hire Pettine then good luck to him in Cleveland. But the way the entire process is being played out the past week tells me they like Mike but they seem to be holding out for someone they like better that might pan out. If it doesn't they have their backup plan in place. Either way there are only 32 of these jobs out there for the coaching profession.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think the Bills will be okay here. Pettine brought a more dynamic scheme to the Bills defense but it is in no way unique or groundbreaking. Many other teams run similar systems. So while identifying and hiring a replacement DC is a major task its no reason to panic. Other than a philosophical difference in approach to bring more pressure on the QB which lead to more sacks and turnovers the Bills defense still gave up way too many yards on the ground and way too many big plays over 20+ yards. They surrendered about a FG less per game 2013 vs. 2012. I'm not attempting to downplay the contributions Mike made to the team, rather pointing out that everybody is replaceable.

I'm choosing to look at this as a positive. The longer Pettine was here, the longer Marrone could hide his own ineptitude and hold this team back. In my opinion, with our small market status and unwillingness to spend to the cap, we need to have a sharp head coach and Marrone is far from that. I think this move will facilitate a change in head coach faster. Just have to hope that the FO hits on that position next time.

Your a little ray of sunshine, aren't you? Oh yes you are...

If the Browns do hire Pettine then good luck to him in Cleveland. But the way the entire process is being played out the past week tells me they like Mike but they seem to be holding out for someone they like better that might pan out. If it doesn't they have their backup plan in place. Either way there are only 32 of these jobs out there for the coaching profession.

I'm probably in the minority here but I think the Bills will be okay here. Pettine brought a more dynamic scheme to the Bills defense but it is in no way unique or groundbreaking. Many other teams run similar systems. So while identifying and hiring a replacement DC is a major task its no reason to panic. Other than a philosophical difference in approach to bring more pressure on the QB which lead to more sacks and turnovers the Bills defense still gave up way too many yards on the ground and way too many big plays over 20+ yards. They surrendered about a FG less per game 2013 vs. 2012. I'm not attempting to downplay the contributions Mike made to the team, rather pointing out that everybody is replaceable.

Nice post.

I know everyone here disagrees, but I think the Browns are (were) the most desirable open job this year, despite the front office turmoil. They have very good defensive personnel, a ton of draft picks this year, including two number ones, a pro bowl tight end, and the best young WR in football. All they need is a QB and they are well-positioned to pick one up in this year's draft. I think they are a much better bet to make the playoffs next year than the Bills.

We have one of the best defensive players in the game and one of the best at his position with two young players that have shown regression thru this season. Despite McKelvin being a bright spot this team is wasting talent and unless something drastic and impactful happens to continue McKelvin succeeding we will likely see him regress to prior years.

A new DC? We figured we would lose Pettine at some point. But this early and this late? That's just ridiculous. Cleveland is a pathetic joke of a town and this moved is bush league and unprofessional.