Pettine has officially signed on as coach of the Browns

cale

It's less losing Pettine that bugs me as much as having 4 DCs in 5 years. How is anyone supposed to perform on the field when they have to learn a new system every year?

That's why you promote somebody who's already well-versed in the system and also somebody the players like and respect.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everyone here disagrees, but I think the Browns are (were) the most desirable open job this year, despite the front office turmoil. They have very good defensive personnel, a ton of draft picks this year, including two number ones, a pro bowl tight end, and the best young WR in football. All they need is a QB and they are well-positioned to pick one up in this year's draft. I think they are a much better bet to make the playoffs next year than the Bills.

"Casual football fan": We fired our HC after one year and now have hired the Bills DC. What a disaster.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

"Casual football fan": We fired our HC after one year and now have hired the Bills DC. What a disaster.

Casual football fan: "We just traded Trent Richardson to the Colts??? OMG, this franchise is doomed." That's why casual football fans don't run front offices.

I'm choosing to look at this as a positive. The longer Pettine was here, the longer Marrone could hide his own ineptitude and hold this team back. In my opinion, with our small market status and unwillingness to spend to the cap, we need to have a sharp head coach and Marrone is far from that. I think this move will facilitate a change in head coach faster. Just have to hope that the FO hits on that position next time.

This is the only good thing about it. Would have preferred if Pettine had taken over the moron's job.

Casual football fan: "We just traded Trent Richardson to the Colts??? OMG, this franchise is doomed." That's why casual football fans don't run front offices.

Yup!

...before someone says the Browns traded up to get Trent in the first place, this wasn't the front office that made that decision to get him in the draft.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Because it's a promotion rather than a lateral move. Teams can block lateral moves for any of their coaches, but not promotions. Pettine will only take coaches with him who he is able and willing to promote.

As for why he took a job he "didn't intend to keep for atleast two years"...

You don't know what his intentions were when he came aboard. He obviously wanted the job when he took it, but what he considered to be an opportunity too good to pass up came along.

You don't want to deny a man what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to follow his career arch goals.

Simply be thankful for his time here, wish him the best, and move on.

Actually I believe it is more restrictive than even that. IIRC coaches under contract are only allowed to leave for head coaching positions. Teams often won't stand in the way of positional coaches being hired away for higher level jobs, but they aren't required to allow it.