Belichick: Welker tried to 'take out' Talib

angryfan62

Sore Loser?, Crybaby? Or Justified? What do you guys think? Looked a little bit intentional to me, but on the other hand it's not like the Pats have a reputation for dirty play themselves or anything like that :) But hey, that's just my opinion... Link

Edited by angryfan62

H's absolutely right. It was a dirty play by Welker. The issue is that the Pats have committed dirty plays in the past too (although not as many as people think - Rodney Harrsison committed virtually no dirty plays as a Pat). Brandon Spikes comes to mind, although he was in fact booted off of the team.

H's absolutely right. It was a dirty play by Welker. The issue is that the Pats have committed dirty plays in the past too (although not as many as people think - Rodney Harrsison committed virtually no dirty plays as a Pat). Brandon Spikes comes to mind, although he was in fact booted off of the team.

Spikes has been a dirtbag the last couple of years in terms of dirty hits and Wilfork was fined 4 times in a season, IIRC, and was not suspended. That included the blatant shot on Losman's knee--truly one of the dirtiest plays I've ever seen--falling on a defenseless Jason Witten well away from the play and trying to poke Brandon Jacobs' eye out. Bill's certainly seen a lot of cheap shots--he's just not used to his guys being on the receiving end of them! Cry me a river....

Let me clarify...When I said that it looked "intentional", I meant that it looked like a designed play to block the defender. That being said I didn't see Welker go low or high, just blocked the crap out of Talib. It was while the ball was still in the air though so I guess the makes it illegal by rule (pick).

Edited by angryfan62

Let me clarify...When I said that it looked "intentional", I meant that it looked like a designed play to block the defender. That being said I didn't see Welker go low or high, just blocked the crap out of Talib. It was while the ball was still in the air though so I guess the makes it illegal by rule (pick).

He didn't contact Talib until the ball was touched or close enough to it. Those are pick plays and the Pats run them all the time.

Saw Bellicheat live this morning when he made this idiotic claim.

So Welker, who has missed some games this year, and who was wearing a "Kelso-like" helmet, would risk hurting himself.....risk putting himself out of the game.....for a short over the middle pass in the 1st Qtr?! Uh huh, rrrriiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhttttt!

Bellicheat may be showing early signs of Alzheimer's.

Saw Bellicheat live this morning when he made this idiotic claim.

So Welker, who has missed some games this year, and who was wearing a "Kelso-like" helmet, would risk hurting himself.....risk putting himself out of the game.....for a short over the middle pass in the 1st Qtr?! Uh huh, rrrriiiiiiiiiggggggghhhhttttt!

Bellicheat may be showing early signs of Alzheimer's.

EXACTLY!!!. Welker has had too many concussion problems to go out and intentionally try to injure someone, including himself.

Broncos receivers could be called for offensive pass interference just about every pass play I've seen these playoffs. Seems like the officials can only see it if the Broncos opponents do it as both SD and NE got called for offensive pass interference. Manning has gotten his share of gifts from the officials over the years. I still remember that Monday Night game against Tampa when Indy made the comeback and Vanderjagt missed the FG only to have leapfrogging called on the play something officials hadn't called in god knows how long. Having said that it's nice to see the Pats get a taste of their own medicine.

Edited by MrLocke

A "dirty" play? I guess every penalty can be considered a "dirty" play, like holding. Gisele never liked Welker. But I bet every team runs a pick play. Thats all I saw. I highly doubt Fox sends Welker out as the hit man. Sounds like a sore loser grabbing for straws. I guess Brady gets it from Bill. Cry me river little Bill.....

Let me get this straight. John Fox had Wes Welker, a small WR who missed 5 weeks this season with concussions, "take out" Talib with a "crushing" block. Welker said it was a rub pattern. His job is to run between the DB and his teammate. Both he and Talib zigged when they should have zagged. It is a common play and Belichick is just bellyaching and whining. Poor sportsmanship abounds in NE.

Edited by Nitro

That was 11 years ago in a meaningless regular season game. What's your point? That Welker should be ejected? Kicked out of the league?

My point is that people don`t remember the calls that Manning gets as well as the ones Brady has gotten.

A "dirty" play? I guess every penalty can be considered a "dirty" play, like holding. Gisele never liked Welker. But I bet every team runs a pick play. Thats all I saw. I highly doubt Fox sends Welker out as the hit man. Sounds like a sore loser grabbing for straws. I guess Brady gets it from Bill. Cry me river little Bill.....

Let me get this straight. John Fox had Wes Welker, a small WR who missed 5 weeks this season with concussions, "take out" Talib with a "crushing" block. Welker said it was a rub pattern. His job is to run between the DB and his teammate. Both he and Talib zigged when they should have zagged. It is a common play and Belichick is just bellyaching and whining. Poor sportsmanship abounds in NE.

Why is it necessary that Fox has anything to do with whatever Welker may or may not have chosen to do to Talib on that play?

Why not Welker just decided to tee off on a guy he doesn't like on he team he hates?

It was a designed rub/pick play. All NFL teams run them, all the time. The Pats had just ran one during the series or two prior, and got flagged on it. Belichick is probably more pissed off that his Pats have seemed to have lost the Golden standing with the refs. He was waiting for them to make up a new Brady Rule around the 3 minute mark. This one would be worth 28 points, and permanent possession for the remainder of the game. He texted Roger and everything! But this year, Roger didnt text back. Poor Billy.

Did Welker want to hurt Talib? Sure, you want to "lay a crack" on a guy when you are the one initiating contact. But did he want to injure him? Didn't look like it to me. Welker didnt dive into his knees or anything.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Bill Belichick calls out Wes Welker

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick delivered strong comments about Wes Welker's hit that knocked cornerback Aqib Talib out of the AFC Championship Game.

Belichick opened his season-ending news conference Monday morning by talking about Welker, unprompted by any questions from reporters.

"I was asked about the hit on Talib, and I feel badly for Aqib," Belichick said. "The way that play turned out -- I went back and watched it, which I didn't have a chance to yesterday.

"It was a deliberate play by the receiver to take out Aqib. No attempt to get open. I'll let the league handle the discipline on that play, whatever they decide. It's one of the worst plays I've seen. That's all I'll say about that."

@PriscoCBS

Is that Edelman with an intent to injure? No but you get the point. Left his feet to take the shot

BebkKM4CQAEBs15.jpg

I would expect Bellicheat to know a receiver intentionally taking out a DB on a screen play when he sees one.

I would expect Bellycheat to belly ache. His team lost.

No way was little Wes trying to deliberately "take out" (in the sense of injure) Talib. Pick him, yes. Wonder what coach "learned" him to pick.

Edited by Hopeful

Why is it necessary that Fox has anything to do with whatever Welker may or may not have chosen to do to Talib on that play?

Why not Welker just decided to tee off on a guy he doesn't like on he team he hates?

Teeoff by legally blocking him? Motivations aside, the play was legal and happens all the time in the NFL. Talib should be embarrassed that Welker blew him up.

I saw Rodney Harrison commit multiple dirty plays as a Pat with my own eyes. Don't start with that crap.

Why is everyone saying it is a dirty play by Welker? They ran into each other? Did he lower his helmet or shoulder?

How was it different than the picture of Edelman in this thread?

If Spikes was booted off the team and not actually injured then your beloved Bellichick has just been caught cheating again.

Teeoff by legally blocking him? Motivations aside, the play was legal and happens all the time in the NFL. Talib should be embarrassed that Welker blew him up.

Talib should "Ice up son". Mr. WEO probably should wait a week before posting stuff like that but I get it. It is an emotional game even for fans and his favorite team just lost. Bills fans do similar crying, even on this board so we should cut him some slack.

So Welker is a bad guy for running a pick and hurting a DB. NE runs plays like this all the time including yesterday. Hell Welker probably learned most of his route running from the Pats. Bellyache is a sore loser. With his girl Tommy boy getting up ther in age and the team not as good as it has been. I feel Bellyache sees the end is real real near. When Brady hangs em up so will Bellyache. What a hypocrite!

He's just pissed it was Welker that hit him and caused the injury. I'm pretty sure a WR with major concussion issues, who had an excellent chance to play in the super bowl, was intentionally trying to hurt someone. Come on Bill....take the loss like a man and quit ur bitchin!

Sore Loser?, Crybaby? Or Justified? What do you guys think? Looked a little bit intentional to me, but on the other hand it's not like the Pats have a reputation for dirty play themselves or anything like that :) But hey, that's just my opinion... Link

There is a song that says "What goes around comes back around..." which I think is very apropo in this case...

Ask Fred Jackson about cheap shots from Patriot players.

Which actually reminds me of a point we're all missing:

Vince Wilfork demonstrates a history of cheap-shotting QBs, including a flying elbow to JP Losman's knee. Slap on the wrist, he promises he won't do it again.

Bernard Pollard gets thrown by an offensive lineman into Tom Brady's knee...they actually change the rules of the game to make sure it never happens again.

Belichick's point is completely valid, in the context of the fact that the Pats have a completely different set of expectations of the officials than the rest of the league.

Which actually reminds me of a point we're all missing:

Vince Wilfork demonstrates a history of cheap-shotting QBs, including a flying elbow to JP Losman's knee. Slap on the wrist, he promises he won't do it again.

Bernard Pollard gets thrown by an offensive lineman into Tom Brady's knee...they actually change the rules of the game to make sure it never happens again.

Belichick's point is completely valid, in the context of the fact that the Pats have a completely different set of expectations of the officials than the rest of the league.

Expect a rule change on picks this offseason.

It was a well executed pick play. It was unfortunate Talib got hurt, but anyone who thinks Welker's intent was to injure is crazy or a whiny B word.