My Bills Offense 2014

Here are some changes I would make for the up coming season. Some are radical but bear with me.

1. Make Fred the number one back. Period. None of this time share with CJ.. None of this coming out when I want to business. If the Bills want to make the playoffs next year. The better ride Fred. He got another 2 yrs left I believe. He is a much better running back when he get between 17 -25 carries a game. So make it an 80-20 split between him and C.J.

2. Make C.J. more WR than RB. Yes WR. He can't seem to find space to run threw so put him in space to start. Bring him back on some reverses and quick out, slants to him. This is maybe the best way to use him.

3.Let Stevie compliment Woods. Am I'm saying make Woods the number one WR?? Yep. Move Stevie in motion on almost every pass play.

4. Hire a QB coach. E.J. needs coaching up. Badly.

5. Throw deep to Goodwin at least 3 or 4 times a GAME.

6. Throw to Chandler less, throw to C.J. more., alot more, as in at least 50 catches.

7. Give E.J. every snap you can in the preseason. Thad can be my backup . We at least know what he can do and its pretty good , for a backup. Let E.J. earn it the hard way.

8. I think we can move the chains with the players we have. But adding a beast WR in the draft would make things even better .

9. Drafting a RB would not be a bad idea after the 4th round.

10 Drafting 2 guards in the draft, or 1 from the draft / Free Agent that can start right now.

Thoughts?

So you want to:

-Add more talent to the o-line

-Get an elite WR

-Give CJ the ball more in space

-Get a QB coach for EJ and give him a lot of reps in camp

-Throw more to Goodwin

Is this not what everyone else wants?

Edited by Bangarang

I would add different formations to run out of, instead of the shotgun mid-draw they seem to do every time.

You have the Sight dont you : )

I would add different formations to run out of, instead of the shotgun mid-draw they seem to do every time.

I agree . But first they should be able to execute those play calls , before opening the Book.

i just can't bank on fred. he has seemed ageless but 2 more years? he'd be 34. how many 34 year old backs are there? I'm worried he might fall off quite a bit coming up this year(i hope not tho)

And the injury factor. Both our RBs are injury prone and are likely to miss games over a 16 game season. I am surprised that no one wants a new TE who can be a strong red zone target.

7. Give E.J. every snap you can in the preseason. Thad can be my backup . We at least know what he can do and its pretty good , for a backup. Let E.J. earn it the hard way.

Thoughts?

If you give EJ every snap you can in the preseason you have handed him the job and told him that he is the man. What exactly was earned the hard way?

EJ needs to grow with his receivers this offseason and be more accurate. Being #1 all offseason and healthy is a start.

The offensive line needs to be upgraded. Look at the 49ers, a lot Kaepernicks faults are covered up because they have a huge, athletic offensive line. To me, they have two linemen who we know can play now. Lots of work to do here for the offense to be what Hackett and Marrone want.

The Bills need more athleticism at TE. Maybe the answer is Gragg, maybe Ebron, Amaro, Grimble or Seferian Jenkins in the draft.

A third back is needed. The draft should provide this in rounds 3-5. Maybe a guy like James Wilder Jr or Terrance West from Towson.

If Stevie doesn't want to be the playmaker on 3rd downs, which involves making tough catches over the middle, then they need to move him and find someone who can do it consistently. A Marques Colston type is needed.

i just can't bank on fred. he has seemed ageless but 2 more years? he'd be 34. how many 34 year old backs are there? I'm worried he might fall off quite a bit coming up this year(i hope not tho)

I love Freddie's vision, instincts, balance, work ethic and toughness but I have to agree. He's already lost a step and it could go further downhill fast.

My comments in red. The ones that I left out are the ones I agree with completely.

1. Make Fred the number one back. Period. None of this time share with CJ.. None of this coming out when I want to business. If the Bills want to make the playoffs next year. The better ride Fred. He got another 2 yrs left I believe. He is a much better running back when he get between 17 -25 carries a game. So make it an 80-20 split between him and C.J. - Two worries; Fred's age/durability and Spiller's attitude following demotion. But I agree .. Fred is the better back.

2. Make C.J. more WR than RB. Yes WR. He can't seem to find space to run threw so put him in space to start. Bring him back on some reverses and quick out, slants to him. This is maybe the best way to use him. - They just need to do two things: a) Go back and learn how Gailey used Spiller and b) watch how New Orleans uses Sproles.

5. Throw deep to Goodwin at least 3 or 4 times a GAME. - I'd generalize this more as, "take more shots down the field." We need to start moving the chains via big plays and PI calls like every other team in the league does (against us, primarily).

6. Throw to Chandler less, throw to C.J. more., alot more, as in at least 50 catches. - I'm still hanging on as a Chandler fan. But I think he needs to be used more for 3-4 yard gains (no YAC necessary) and used WAY more in the endzone.

7. Give E.J. every snap you can in the preseason. Thad can be my backup . We at least know what he can do and its pretty good , for a backup. Let E.J. earn it the hard way. - I have to agree with Beerball, here. This wouldn't be him earning it. However, I think he should go in as the undisputed #1 and I think he should get all the snaps he can in preseason.

He only played D-III football, so he is more like 30 years old in RB years. A young 30 at that.

They are going to need to get another back that can carry the load. Ideally I see Fred phasing into a third down back, damn good one, and bringing in a young workhorse that can move the chains. Spillers despite his abilities, it seems like it will be a challenge to figure out how to fit him in, so a reviving role is interesting. He more of a mccluster type

What % snaps would you give Goodwin to get that? Especially since you want Spiller at WR. I am curious because i like the ideas

Say there on average 70 plays a game on Offense? if that many.

You could have C.J. in the slot. I'd say about 25- 30 plays. And You don't have to start him in the slot position. He could be lined up with Fred in the backfield, then motion him out to the slot.

This way you have Freddie , C.J. , Stevie, Woods and Goodwin on the field at the same time.

Goodwin can take the top of the D, and the D has to respect the run with Fred back there.

Somebody will get open. Either Deep, quick out to CJ or Woods or Stevie midrange.

As a matter of fact you can create a whole bunch of plays just out of these group of guys on the field.

Like I said , you can move the chains with just these guys on offence, its all about how you use them.

And I would not run the no-huddle every series.

I think 2 more years, he should retire a Bill. Look how many TD's he scored and almost gained 1000 yds playing with bad ribs and a bad knee.

Fred is major talent, major.

If you give EJ every snap you can in the preseason you have handed him the job and told him that he is the man. What exactly was earned the hard way?

What I mean is...

don't really know if he has earned the respect of the coaching staff as far as opening up the playbook.

That what I mean by let him earn it. Open it up and lets see if the kid can handle it.

Get a TE

RB in rd 3 that can get tough yards

Draft a QB in rd 1

OG in rds 2 and 4

Big target WR thru FA or later rounds, letting nelson go big mistake imo.

Nice post, these ones are fun.

They are not going to draft a QB round one but I would like to see the draft one on day 2.

Letting Nelson ...yea I agree and they missed him maybe in the locker room as well.

Here are some changes I would make for the up coming season. Some are radical but bear with me.

1. Make Fred the number one back. Period. None of this time share with CJ.. None of this coming out when I want to business. If the Bills want to make the playoffs next year. The better ride Fred. He got another 2 yrs left I believe. He is a much better running back when he get between 17 -25 carries a game. So make it an 80-20 split between him and C.J.

2. Make C.J. more WR than RB. Yes WR. He can't seem to find space to run threw so put him in space to start. Bring him back on some reverses and quick out, slants to him. This is maybe the best way to use him.

3.Let Stevie compliment Woods. Am I'm saying make Woods the number one WR?? Yep. Move Stevie in motion on almost every pass play.

6. Throw to Chandler less, throw to C.J. more., alot more, as in at least 50 catches.

Thoughts?

1. C.J. needs space, but we need more than FA linemen to do that, obviously.

2. I'm sick of Stevie and Chandler...BOTH need to be replaced. Jettison the mediocrity.

3. Keep drafting a QB until we find THE GUY, because as of now you have to actually be healthy during a preseason or season in order to get snaps.

2. I'm sick of Stevie and Chandler...BOTH need to be replaced. Jettison the mediocrity.

3. Keep drafting a QB until we find THE GUY, because as of now you have to actually be healthy during a preseason or season in order to get snaps.

1. yes he does. whether run or pass, plays need to be created and executed where cj can get a step or two and make people look slow and stupid.

2. stevie and chandler are good players, especially if they are not the best on the team at their respective positions. no reason they have to be replaced, you can add talent and keep them around.

3. build the team around ej and give him next year. if he's great, then great. if he busts, chances are our record sucks, we draft a qb high, and the newbie has that much more talent to work with when he gets here.

: )

1 we need player improvement on the line . undeniable . Need some improved play calling once improved playing players are in place. or sooner

2 I dont like dropped balls or poor blocking either ! When Bills have an upgrade on the staff , jettison away !

3 Bills should wait one more full offseason and then Pro season to decide. QB coach might be a good investment this year for all of them EJ Thad and Jeff

In addition to getting CJ space, can we give a little to Graham too? I know he sucks and whatever, but that dude running a crazy WR screen could be nothing but good. He may not be the best receiver on the team but he can probably produce pretty well with the right plays.

5. Throw deep to Goodwin at least 3 or 4 times a GAME.

8. I think we can move the chains with the players we have. But adding a beast WR in the draft would make things even better .

9. Drafting a RB would not be a bad idea after the 4th round.

10 Drafting 2 guards in the draft, or 1 from the draft / Free Agent that can start right now.

Thoughts?

Generally, all your ideas make sense.

Concerning CJ Spiller: I have been an advocate for a couple of years of putting him in more slot and wide-out opportunities. He's his best in space, so instead of trying to run him between the tackles (and the not so good guards we have), put him wider, and develop some more creative ways to get him the ball where he is most effective and successful. . . . P.S. Chan was way ahead of Hackett on this, he did it some, although I would like to see it even more than he did.

Also, I would say its time to draft a replacement Running back. Fred is still good, but we're on borrowed time now.

In addition to getting CJ space, can we give a little to Graham too? I know he sucks and whatever, but that dude running a crazy WR screen could be nothing but good. He may not be the best receiver on the team but he can probably produce pretty well with the right plays.

We can't run screens for him on every play, and he's really hurting our offense by totally relying on speed alone. Many players such as Don Beebe, Keith McKeller, and Roscoe Parrish who were really fast have done far more in an offense than this guy.

We can't run screens for him on every play, and he's really hurting our offense by totally relying on speed alone. Many players such as Don Beebe, Keith McKeller, and Roscoe Parrish who were really fast have done far more in an offense than this guy.

Can't run screens with CJ every play either, doesn't mean we shouldn't run them ever.

Agree 100 %. I love Freddy, but he is old and when he hits the wall the offense is going to come to s screeching halt.

C.J. simply can't hold up to a a lot of carries, and if Fred does lose another step or go down, you have problems, IMO.

Pick up an every down back in mid rounds of draft, don't be stupid and draft a RB high. Nobody does this anymore but the stills it seems?

But, first fix the O line, again.

OK say Fred has one very good year left. I would at the very least see if if he can carry the load.

Fred deserves one season as the Man. He has proved to me over and over he is the better back.

But Spiller has to have plays just for him. Chan figured it out.

So what he only gets 20-25 plays a game. What if you hit 2 TD's of those 25?

Spiller still very important. I would even think about him returning Punts and save McLovin just for D.

Well...no they don't actually.

so he incurred no milage at those he didn't run the ball ever or get hit even once……….??? lol come on man

OK say Fred has one very good year left. I would at the very least see if if he can carry the load.

Fred deserves one season as the Man. He has proved to me over and over he is the better back.

But Spiller has to have plays just for him. Chan figured it out.

So what he only gets 20-25 plays a game. What if you hit 2 TD's of those 25?

Spiller still very important. I would even think about him returning Punts and save McLovin just for D.

i love what fred has done and meant for this team but you realize you are banking on a 33 year old RB for 2014 as having a great year? i can't put all my eggs in that basket.

so he incurred no milage at those he didn't run the ball ever or get hit even once……….??? lol come on man

i love what fred has done and meant for this team but you realize you are banking on a 33 year old RB for 2014 as having a great year? i can't put all my eggs in that basket.

For one year , why not, maybe they would have if Fred was healthy.

Edited by Bufcomments

First and foremost, obtain a high quality QB, vet or high draft pick. Need to hedge our bet on Manuel. The teams that are in the 2013 playoffs all have one thing in common. They have high quality starting QBs.

Replace Hackett at OC with vet OC. He's just not good enough.

Hire vet QB coach.

Emulate what the Pats do on offense. Lots of short crossing patterns/play action.

Hire a more accomplished ST coach.

Trade Byrd for two high draft picks.

Trade or release St. Johnson. He's unreliable, injury-prone, and paid too much.

Need a stud big WR.

Need a stud TE. Also resign Chandler.

Need a big RB for short yardage situations.

Sign or draft a stud NT, a pass rushing OLB, and a FS to replace Byrd.

Sign a vet CB and draft another CB.

Well, Buffalo hung their hat on 2 NFL rookie QBs this year... :huh:

Not really, they signed a veteran QB who literally got knocked out for the season. If you followed the context of the discussion, and why would you after all it's TSW, you would see that the intent was to pound Freddy as the feature back for the season. hence my comment. If you disagree, try offering an argument.