Poster you miss the most on tbd

major

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of posters who really added value around here no longer post.

I think like me the constant drumbeat of negativity drives away traffic.

To put our participation here in context, there are about 700 pages of members with 20 members to a page.

So roughly 14,000 people have registered to this site over the years.

This is funny, because when someone mentioned the 5,000 word posts hplarrm was the first moniker that popped into my head.

He was also yvel varm, dik smub (marv levy and bum's kid, respectively). Barry brady was a reference to Barry Williams (the actor who played greg brady). I never figured out pyrite gal, his other moniker.

To put our participation here in context, there are about 700 pages of members with 20 members to a page.

I think the constant losing has brought out the worst in some people.

When the team was winning you could post some thoughts and have a discussion about it.

It didn't always go well, but it wasn't a thread with a bunch of shout downs and shame downs.

If you have a positive take...........it is followed by a bunch of negative takes about the team.

If you have a negative take...........it is followed by PERSONAL attacks and demands that the topic not be discussed.

Bottom line.......it's a bad team and a bad organization and has been for a long time.

There is no rational defense at this point...........so defending them has become a study in the irrational.

If people talked to each other like they were at a tailgate party instead sorrow driven internet d-bags then I am *pretty* sure those people would be posting still.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

When the team was winning you could post some thoughts and have a discussion about it.

It didn't always go well, but it wasn't a thread with a bunch of shout downs and shame downs.

If you have a positive take...........it is followed by a bunch of negative takes about the team.

If you have a negative take...........it is followed by PERSONAL attacks and demands that the topic not be discussed.

Bottom line.......it's a bad team and a bad organization and has been for a long time.

There is no rational defense at this point...........so defending them has become a study in the irrational.

If people talked to each other like they were at a tailgate party instead sorrow driven internet d-bags then I am *pretty* sure those people would be posting still.

I think much of the backlash to which you refer comes in how the opinion is presented. The apple-polishers profess that the team can do no wrong, while the doom-and-gloomers fervently condemn everything the team does.

It's been my observation that an even-keeled presentation of ideas solicits, mostly, reasoned discussion. It's the extremist verbiage that gets the backlash.

The apple-polishers profess that the team can do no wrong, while the doom-and-gloomers fervently condemn everything the team does.

It's never that black and white though, is it?

Seems like if a poster has a positive take on any specific thing OBD does they are labeled an "apologist" and if a poster bashes OBD for a specific move they are labeled a "hater". The concept a single poster being able to objectively applaud one move while criticizing another has been lost. It's a shame.

He was also yvel varm, dik smub (marv levy and bum's kid, respectively). Barry brady was a reference to Barry Williams (the actor who played greg brady). I never figured out pyrite gal, his other moniker.

Take off on Sunshine Boys when Levy came back - fool's gold. What's the rubric for hplarmm?

Missed

Lori

BiB

Village Idiot

Dan Gross

Crap Throwing Monkey

LA's Dinner on Me

I think much of the backlash to which you refer comes in how the opinion is presented. The apple-polishers profess that the team can do no wrong, while the doom-and-gloomers fervently condemn everything the team does.

It's been my observation that an even-keeled presentation of ideas solicits, mostly, reasoned discussion. It's the extremist verbiage that gets the backlash.

I am sorry but you are simply wrong on this matter.

If it is not personal, then it shouldn't be made personal whether you like the verbiage or not.

SIMPLE AS THAT.

I go back to the D & C message board days (of which this site was born) and Bob Lamb deserves a hat tip, along with Scott, for creating this site. Bob helped me out back in '99 in getting a version of Shout! on CD (high tech back then). He was a great source on Bills history and alawys kept his posts informative and classy.

Seems like if a poster has a positive take on any specific thing OBD does they are labeled an "apologist" and if a poster bashes OBD for a specific move they are labeled a "hater". The concept a single poster being able to objectively applaud one move while criticizing another has been lost. It's a shame.

Yes, that's also part of the problem.

I am sorry but you are simply wrong on this matter.

If it is not personal, then it shouldn't be made personal whether you like the verbiage or not.

SIMPLE AS THAT.

I never said it should be made personal, so I'm not sure where you got that idea. What I said was that there is absolutely a way to evoke reasonable discussion by framing your POV in a non-confrontational manner; most of the time this isn't done. The posts, positive or negative, are overly emotional and extreme, which elicits the exact response you're unhappy with.

The Dean and it's not even close.

Deano was a good dude.

Bingo! And Bingo!

This board is filled with negativity and hate. It's exhausting.

I still can't believe I'm the only one who mentioned Crayonz. When I first joined this site in 2008, he started an elaborate thread about how the Bills would actually be better off losing to Arizona because it was a non-conference game and if we were going to arrive at a certain record anyway, the more losses we had outside the conference the better because then we'd have a better record in the AFC. I fell for it hook, line and sinker and responded with a long-winded rebuttal. Then once I realized what his shtick was about, I watched him get other people time after time and it was amazing. My brother is as big a Bills fan as I am and checks this site for news and updates but thinks I'm kind of a loser for posting, but he loved Crayonz' posts.

Serious answer: Lori.

Not the least bit serious, completely masochistic answer: dog14787.

Hey man, I really missed me while I was gone,

TBD without Lori is like cake without frosting,

Cablelady and Deano, are also missed :cry:

Edited by dog14787

I still can't believe I'm the only one who mentioned Crayonz. When I first joined this site in 2008, he started an elaborate thread about how the Bills would actually be better off losing to Arizona because it was a non-conference game and if we were going to arrive at a certain record anyway, the more losses we had outside the conference the better because then we'd have a better record in the AFC. I fell for it hook, line and sinker and responded with a long-winded rebuttal. Then once I realized what his shtick was about, I watched him get other people time after time and it was amazing. My brother is as big a Bills fan as I am and checks this site for news and updates but thinks I'm kind of a loser for posting, but he loved Crayonz' posts.

Crayonz is still here...look hard, he's got a few threads on the main page

I think this is blaming a symptom -- this fever is really what is making me feel bad -- instead of the disease -- dude, you have the flu.

Fans (personal friends) have left because they simply don't care about the Bills that much anymore. The false hope doesn't play well universally and they have other things to do that they enjoy.

Crayonz is still here...look hard, he's got a few threads on the main page

That is the funniest thing about crayonz. While people lament his absence, at any given time hes got 5 open threads that are being ignored. People will even post in the threads started under his new nom de plume, "crayonz did it better".

Buffalonian

I would like to know why the folks left. Maybe it's a weird closure thing I have, but it always drove me crazy not to know. I've reached out to several of the folks mentioned just hoping they'd respond, but no one did. I'm sure several people that know these folks know why but I think it would be helpful so that the current participants can help make the site a better place.

Edited by Triple Threat

That is the funniest thing about crayonz. While people lament his absence, at any given time hes got 5 open threads that are being ignored. People will even post in the threads started under his new nom de plume, "crayonz did it better".

Yep...I even saw one post directly to him stating: "You are NOT Crayonz"

The negativity goes all the way back to the old Rob Johnson-Doug Flutie debates.

Yeah, that's right. It's YOUR fault, you !@#$ing Flutopians.

Scopes was run off the board for posting that he wasn't all that impressed with EJ after week 1... now, one gets run off the board for saying the opposite.

No, scopes was run off the board for getting overly nasty with people. He did so in response to being questioned as to why he openly refused to talk about anything EJ did well. His response was something along the lines of "there are already threads talking about what EJ did well, go read one of those. I'm not here to talk about anything he did well".

When some folks asked him if he felt that was close-minded, he shot off like crazy. This was after week 4 against Baltimore.

He then came back with another moniker (ChallengeHistory if I remember correctly) and got one last thread started (a Cleveland preview I believe) before being bounced again.

Scopes was run off the board for posting that he wasn't all that impressed with EJ after week 1... now, one gets run off the board for saying the opposite.

Scopes ran himself off the board and it had little to do with his opinion. It had everything with the way he expressed his opinion. He fancied himself to be the smartest man in the room and was quickly disabused of that notion. Subsequently, he went into full meltdown mode which consisted of posting his work phone number, challenging all comers to call him, talking about his AK and pit bulls, taking bong rips in the supply closet of the dealership he "owns" and then taking his crusade to every other open thread.

Edited by Jauronimo

Scopes ran himself off the board and it had little to do with his opinion. It had everything with the way he expressed his opinion. He fancied himself to be the smartest man in the room and was quickly disabused of that notion. Subsequently, he went into full meltdown mode which consisted of posting his work phone number, challenging all comers to call him, talking about his AK and pit bulls, taking bong rips in the supply closet of the dealership he "owns" and then taking his crusade to every other open thread.

sort of right. Scopes got it from 12 angles and 20 posters. Right or wrong doesn't matter with an opinion. Especially on the internet. A bunch of these new caped crusaders came in and jumped on him. A bunch of long time posters laughed at him. It was a mess. It got out of hand quick. He didn't have a chance and retaliated full bore. He then tried to come back and even changed his entire tone. And still had it thrown in his face.

Avenged sevenfold - scopces. Whatever other name the dude got it full bore. But in his sub 200 posts I saw him add more content then some posters with 1000 posts or 3000 shouts. And 150 of those were probably him going at it with instigators.

Scopes treatment was horrible even if he did bring it on himself there was no reason to keep it up. It jist got out of hand