Greg Cosell: "Glennon is best QB in rookie class and it is not eve

YoloinOhio

you guys wanna talk about these mobile quarterback, Marino had less than a hundred yards rushing for his career. let's see how many of those running quarterbacks won the Superbowl - Doug Williams, and maybe I'll give you a half a point for Steve Young.

you guys wanna talk about these mobile quarterback, Marino had less than a hundred yards rushing for his career. let's see how many of those running quarterbacks won the Superbowl - Doug Williams, and maybe I'll give you a half a point for Steve Young.

Doug Williams a running QB?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect Greg Cosell, really, I do. But he's kinda like a book of Chinese philosophical sayings, you can read 4-5 interviews with him and find statements to support all different viewpoints. I also think he's a bit of a weathercock in what he'll come out and support. Early March before the draft, he published analysis of all the QB which was lukewarm about Nassib. Then later in March when there was all the talk about the Bills drafting Nassib in the 1st, he was quoted saying Nassib was the best QB in the draft.

To me, Cosell is someone to take seriously when he's breaking down film on an individual. He'll see what's there and what's not there, accurately. But when he's comparing Joe Schmo to Fred Glow, I think other things factor into it.

This was tweeted today, ironically, by Jason McIntire from The Big Lead: (all are tweets about Greg Cosell saying T Richardson was the best player in the 2012 draft ahead of Luck and RG3, plus saying he would have taken RG3 over Luck)

Jason McIntyre@jasonrmcintyre 1h

Oh RT @recordsANDradio: Ok then @gregcosell. https://twitter.com/commishonline/status/193386848842809344 … https://twitter.com/chriswesseling/status/182959865747079169 … https://twitter.com/livingcrimson/status/180043061668216833 … https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/180248014135365632 …

Because if you are saying he is by far the best qb but that can change due to one bad game, then he must not be by far the best.

BTW, what is his track record on projecting talent?

And who is he? I do not know a thing about the guy. Not saying that means anything, but i do follow the NFL and college football pretty closely.

Greg Cosell is the nephew of iconic sports broadcaster Howard Cosell. Greg Cosell is considered one of the most knowledgeable football commentators around. See http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Cosell

Glennon is slightly ahead of EJ in QBR 45.5 to 44.8, but I agree, from what I have seen he looks like an NFL QB with the throws he was making. If EJ can just "let it rip" like he did against the Jets and trust what he sees more, I think he will be a lot better than the "safe, cautious, don't turn the ball over" EJ we have seen in a lot of the games. I can understand it tho, he is a rookie, he doesn't want to be the reason the team loses because he throws careless interceptions or takes bad sacks/fumbles. That being said, there has to be a fine line between being careful with the football and being risk averse. Too often so far EJ has been risk averse...

Tampa Bay is currently 2-8. their first win of the season came two weeks ago against Miami 22-19 where Glennon was 11-21 for 139 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

Do the Bills have a WR as good as 6'5'' 230 lb Vincent Jackson?

Tampa Bay is 30th in passing offense. The "Muscle Hamster" is out on IR, and so is his backup. But the 3rd string RB just ran for 30 rushes for 169 yards, 2 TD's, & WR Vincent Jackson 10 catches for 165 yards 1 TD against that Falcons defense.

I like EJ far more, even when his two primary wideouts are out and injured. :D

I live in the Tampa Bay area. The consensus here seems to be that age has caught up with Vincent Jackson; and that he's no longer the player he was.

Thus far Glennon has played better than Barkley. I apologize to Glennon for having rated Barkley higher. :)

I have no clue who Cosell is.

I am nit sure what track record he has with QB or player analysis.

But to the OP, yes him sayin gone bad game could change everything makes him sound like a 'shock' type of guy.

How can you say one guy is by far better, but give the disclaimer of a bad game changing everything.

Honestly he does not sound very credible to me

Cosell is a very very smart cookie, highly respected. He's a serious grinder of tape, he watches a ton of tape and is excellent at dissecting what he sees and noticing trends and scouting.

Not perfect, of course, nobody is, but worth listening to.

IMHO Glennon and EJ are the only two who have looked any good so far, and EJ has been less consistent.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think in terms of consistency Mike Glennon has been the best of the three so far. I have to say when I watched him a couple of times in college I thought his footwork was a bit of an issue, he seemed to almost trip himself up a bit when trying to avoid rushers - looked a bit uncoordinated. The two other things I had against him were that he had a tendency to trust his arm a little bit too much at times at the expense of a bit of accuracy and the fact that he didn't strike me as a guy with the intagibles I would look for (the second of those is always a subjective judgment call). I think he has probably done enough to earn himself the starters job in Tampa for next year (maybe dependant on Schiano's future I suppose) but there will be totally different pressure on his having to be "THE" guy from the start of a a season rather than coming in to a team and a season that was already basically tanking.

Cosell is a very very smart cookie, highly respected. He's a serious grinder of tape, he watches a ton of tape and is excellent at dissecting what he sees and noticing trends and scouting.

Not perfect, of course, nobody is, but worth listening to.

IMHO Glennon and EJ are the only two who have looked any good so far, and EJ has been less consistent.

He may have been respected before he said Ryan Nassib was the best QB in the draft and worthy of a high 1st round draft pick. But certainly not after that ridiculous statement. Because of how colossally stupid that opinion was, I view Cosell as a complete joke. If he were the Bills GM he would have pick Nassib in the first round at #8. I think there would be a not-so-kind thread about Greg Cosell if that had actually happened...LOL

I was amazed at how many Bills fans here wanted Nassib. It seemed like there were about 20-30% in favor of it. I was shaking in my boots when our 1st rd picks came because the draft coverage pundits were STILL talking about Nassib as a possibility. He was drafted way too high in the 4th by the Giants where he couldn't even beat out Curtis Painter.

It's strange isn't it when you think about it now but Smith, Manuel, Glennon, Wilson, Nassib, Barkley were all trumpeted at one time or another by one draft "expert" or another in the first 3-4 months of this year and the consensus seemed to be you picked your poison but there wasn't a whole lot between them, they all had some strengths and some weaknesses. If you compare what's happened since:

Geno Smith - day 1 starter, played all 10 games - turnover machine.

EJ Manuel - day 1 starter, missed 4 games injured, started 7 - been up and down.

Mike Glennon - started the season as a back up, took the starting job early has now started the last 6/7 - pretty consistent.

Matt Barkley - 3rd stringer at the Eagles, played one part came in and threw was it 4 picks?

Ryan Nassib - 3rd stringer with the Giants - hasn't got near a field so far.

Tyelr Wilson - Beaten out by an undrafted FA rookie for the 3rd stringer job. Cut. Put on practice squad and then promoted back to roster due to injury to starter.

It's strange isn't it when you think about it now but Smith, Manuel, Glennon, Wilson, Nassib, Barkley were all trumpeted at one time or another by one draft "expert" or another in the first 3-4 months of this year and the consensus seemed to be you picked your poison but there wasn't a whole lot between them, they all had some strengths and some weaknesses. If you compare what's happened since:

Geno Smith - day 1 starter, played all 10 games - turnover machine.

EJ Manuel - day 1 starter, missed 4 games injured, started 7 - been up and down.

Mike Glennon - started the season as a back up, took the starting job early has now started the last 6/7 - pretty consistent.

Matt Barkley - 3rd stringer at the Eagles, played one part came in and threw was it 4 picks?

Ryan Nassib - 3rd stringer with the Giants - hasn't got near a field so far.

Tyelr Wilson - Beaten out by an undrafted FA rookie for the 3rd stringer job. Cut. Put on practice squad and then promoted back to roster due to injury to starter.

So wait. Rookie QBs struggle in the NFL??? That's crazy talk. Last year was not the norm. Next year's rookie QB will struggle. Playing QB in the NFL is the hardest job in all of sports.

Actually, I wouldn't laugh. In 1980 and 1981, he ran it a lot. He didn't when he played for Washington, but he was older then.

http://www.pro-footb.../W/WillDo01.htm

That's not really a lot. His highest total was 370 and then 209. Boomer Esiason had way more rushing yards but how many folks would call him a running QB? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EsiaBo00.htm

I live in the Tampa Bay area. The consensus here seems to be that age has caught up with Vincent Jackson; and that he's no longer the player he was.

Thus far Glennon has played better than Barkley. I apologize to Glennon for having rated Barkley higher. :)

Well those folks are flat out crazy. He just had the best season of his career last year and is on pace for his second best season. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackVi00.htm He's a beast and EJ would really benefit from having a monster like that to just through jump balls to. That is the biggest weakness of our receiving core. We don't have any "just throw it up to them and let them go get it" guys.

My point wasn't that rookies struggle more that the word was there wasn't much between the 6 of them and you have at one extreme Geno who has started every game and at the other end Tyler Wilson who has barely made it off a practice squad. That might be talent, it might be opportunity, it might be a bit of both.

He may have been respected before he said Ryan Nassib was the best QB in the draft and worthy of a high 1st round draft pick. But certainly not after that ridiculous statement. Because of how colossally stupid that opinion was, I view Cosell as a complete joke. If he were the Bills GM he would have pick Nassib in the first round at #8. I think there would be a not-so-kind thread about Greg Cosell if that had actually happened...LOL

I was amazed at how many Bills fans here wanted Nassib. It seemed like there were about 20-30% in favor of it. I was shaking in my boots when our 1st rd picks came because the draft coverage pundits were STILL talking about Nassib as a possibility. He was drafted way too high in the 4th by the Giants where he couldn't even beat out Curtis Painter.

It's a mistake to drink K-9's Kool Aid. Both in general, and in this instance.

I'll grant that thus far, Nassib does not look like a guy who should have been taken in the first few rounds. There's a very good chance he'll never be a long-term starter; or at best will be a failed starter.

Where K-9 takes his big, big leap is to attempt to write off all the credibility of a highly respected draft analyst based on one seemingly bad prediction. He hasn't bothered to wait until, say, year two or three of Nassib's career to see how he will really do. Nor is there any indication he's looked into how far along in the QB evaluation process Cosell may have been before making his pro-Nassib statements. A lot of draft analysts change their opinions as they get deeper into breaking down film.

In the end, let's say that Nassib has the kind of career many expect him to have. And let's say that Cosell hadn't changed his pro-Nassib opinion after having broken down more film. If both those things prove true; then Cosell will have messed up. Just as Bill Walsh messed up when he recommended Trent Edwards.

I don't think you can write off a draft analyst's credibility based on one bad prediction. You have to look at the pattern: is he right more often than he is wrong? K-9 has not taken the time to do that with Cosell; and therefore is not in a position to make definitive statements about his credibility.

I'll grant that thus far, Nassib does not look like a guy who should have been taken in the first few rounds. There's a very good chance he'll never be a long-term starter; or at best will be a failed starter.

Where K-9 takes his big, big leap is to attempt to write off all the credibility of a highly respected draft analyst based on one seemingly bad prediction. He hasn't bothered to wait until, say, year two or three of Nassib's career to see how he will really do. Nor is there any indication he's looked into how far along in the QB evaluation process Cosell may have been before making his pro-Nassib statements. A lot of draft analysts change their opinions as they get deeper into breaking down film.

In the end, let's say that Nassib has the kind of career many expect him to have. And let's say that Cosell hadn't changed his pro-Nassib opinion after having broken down more film. If both those things prove true; then Cosell will have messed up. Just as Bill Walsh messed up when he recommended Trent Edwards.

I don't think you can write off a draft analyst's credibility based on one bad prediction. You have to look at the pattern: is he right more often than he is wrong? K-9 has not taken the time to do that with Cosell; and therefore is not in a position to make definitive statements about his credibility.

The point is that people like yourself act like an "expert's" opinion should be taken as gospel. Watching a ton of tape and saying Nassib was the best QB in the draft is a huge error. I watched him at Cuse and thought that was a joke. it's one of the biggest reasons I like Marrone. Nassib was a scrub before Marrone and DM turned him into a draftable QB.

"Draft experts" have little accountability. Mike Mayock called Robert Ayers the best defensive player in his draft when he was a part time player at Tennessee. It's their job and I get that, but honestly, there are posters on this board who's opinion I put just as much stock in as Kiper or whoever. It's a big guessing game, especially with QB. I didn't hear an expert calling for Tony Romo to be drafted or Brady to go before the 6th.

Stop putting so much stock into what these guy say. I think one of the things you hold against EJ is he was drafted before the "experts" say he should be. God forbid if we drafted Russell Wilson before the experts said we should. And patience. 7 games doesn't not make a career.

I think he hurts his credibility by making ridiculous statements like the one that started this thread.

Glennon has nice height, some arm talent and probably a good head on his shoulders but he's slow as dirt and skinny, Bledsoe looked great for awhile .......for awhile - eventually defenses are going to see how well he handles press coverage and pressure coming from all directions at that time we will find out the quality of TBs Oline, whether their receivers can beat press coverage and how well physically and mentally Glennon handles pressure and getting hit.

The point is that people like yourself act like an "expert's" opinion should be taken as gospel. Watching a ton of tape and saying Nassib was the best QB in the draft is a huge error. I watched him at Cuse and thought that was a joke. it's one of the biggest reasons I like Marrone. Nassib was a scrub before Marrone and DM turned him into a draftable QB.

"Draft experts" have little accountability. Mike Mayock called Robert Ayers the best defensive player in his draft when he was a part time player at Tennessee. It's their job and I get that, but honestly, there are posters on this board who's opinion I put just as much stock in as Kiper or whoever. It's a big guessing game, especially with QB. I didn't hear an expert calling for Tony Romo to be drafted or Brady to go before the 6th.

Stop putting so much stock into what these guy say. I think one of the things you hold against EJ is he was drafted before the "experts" say he should be. God forbid if we drafted Russell Wilson before the experts said we should. And patience. 7 games doesn't not make a career.

> Watching a ton of tape and saying Nassib was the best QB in the draft is a huge error.

It's a little early to be coming to definitive conclusions. That said, the evidence I've seen thus far certainly supports the above statement.

> Nassib was a scrub before Marrone and DM turned him into a draftable QB.

There are two possibilities:

a) Nassib was a lousy QB and Marrone made him look better than he was. Much like Gailey did with Fitz.

b) Nassib had the potential to be a somewhat decent QB, but prior to Marrone had been victimized by bad coaching.

Of the two, a) seems more likely than b). Or maybe it's a little of both. Either way, Marrone's ability to get the most out of a QB is encouraging. :)

Shortly before the draft, Cosell put together a mock first round which did not include Nassib. The unstated implication was that, whatever he might have said previously, he no longer saw Nassib as a first round talent.

> I think one of the things you hold against EJ is he was drafted before the "experts" say he should be.

I don't want to turn this into an EJ Manuel discussion. (That's a topic for another thread.)

But putting the subject of Manuel aside, the experts have been right a lot too. They called the Donte Whitner pick a reach. They felt the Bills took John McCargo. I remember that back around 2000 or so, a football publication wrote, "[st. Louis Rams first round pick] Trung Canidate is a candidate for criticism." They correctly stated he should have been taken in the third round or later. Most experts felt that Bryant McKinnie--not Mike Williams--was the best available OT in the 2002 draft.

By no means am I suggesting the experts are perfect. Like you, I can't recall anyone jumping up on a desk and screaming to take Tom Brady before the sixth round. Same thing with Romo.

There have also been times when a player praised by many experts has fallen in the draft. When that's happened, that player has generally gone on to have a lackluster career.

The experts are far from godlike. But it is worth listening to the better ones. Not just for where they peg players, but why they rank them as they do.

> Watching a ton of tape and saying Nassib was the best QB in the draft is a huge error.

It's a little early to be coming to definitive conclusions. That said, the evidence I've seen thus far certainly supports the above statement.

> Nassib was a scrub before Marrone and DM turned him into a draftable QB.

There are two possibilities:

a) Nassib was a lousy QB and Marrone made him look better than he was. Much like Gailey did with Fitz.

b) Nassib had the potential to be a somewhat decent QB, but prior to Marrone had been victimized by bad coaching.

Of the two, a) seems more likely than b). Or maybe it's a little of both. Either way, Marrone's ability to get the most out of a QB is encouraging. :)

Shortly before the draft, Cosell put together a mock first round which did not include Nassib. The unstated implication was that, whatever he might have said previously, he no longer saw Nassib as a first round talent.

> I think one of the things you hold against EJ is he was drafted before the "experts" say he should be.

I don't want to turn this into an EJ Manuel discussion. (That's a topic for another thread.)

But putting the subject of Manuel aside, the experts have been right a lot too. They called the Donte Whitner pick a reach. They felt the Bills took John McCargo. I remember that back around 2000 or so, a football publication wrote, "[st. Louis Rams first round pick] Trung Canidate is a candidate for criticism." They correctly stated he should have been taken in the third round or later. Most experts felt that Bryant McKinnie--not Mike Williams--was the best available OT in the 2002 draft.

By no means am I suggesting the experts are perfect. Like you, I can't recall anyone jumping up on a desk and screaming to take Tom Brady before the sixth round. Same thing with Romo.

There have also been times when a player praised by many experts has fallen in the draft. When that's happened, that player has generally gone on to have a lackluster career.

The experts are far from godlike. But it is worth listening to the better ones. Not just for where they peg players, but why they rank them as they do.

Good response. I just am a big fan of patience, especially with young QBs. However, the key is to know when to pull the plug. I think after the 2nd year, you have an idea if the guy has potential. A guy like Blaine Gabbert is in his 2nd year but it seems pretty clear he doesn't have it. On the other hand, a guy like Tannehill has been pretty average but he deserves a 3rd year but if I was Miami, he'd be on a short leash.

That's horrible. Glennon looks like a camel. Poor guy.

Yeah, I feel bad. At the same time, he was a QB for a major college and now for Tampa Bay (best combo of hot, dumb chicks in the world). He definitely is out kicking his coverage in the lady department.

So, how a about a stat comparison to see whether or not Cosell's argument bears any weight? I went to NC State and watched Glennon play quite a bit (almost every week). I saw Manuel play a lot too. They both played very well in college, and Glennon played in the same system that Matt Ryan did when he was at BC (same coach and OC at NC State as Ryan had at BC). One thing that people forget is the complexity that was involved in the Florida State and NC State offenses. Their playbooks are much more complicated than even most in the NFL. Both played at a high level against very solid competition in college in the ACC, and each played in multiple bowl games.

So far, here's the side by side NFL Comparison:

Glennon

7 Games Played: 154-248 (62.1%) 6.19 YPA for 1535 yds. 11 TD 4 INT 1 FMBL QBR-45.5 Rating 87.7

Manuel

7 Games Played: 127-217 (58.5%) 6.38 YPA for 1385 yds. 8 TD 4 INT 2 FMBL QBR-44.8 Rating 82.1

Statistically, there is not a whole lot of distinction between Manuel and Glennon. Also, keep in mind that Buffalo has a stronger running game (2nd in the AFC and 7th Overall in the NFL) and that they run the ball far more than the Buccaneers who consistently find themselves playing from behind. Watching both Quarterbacks, there is a lot of positive in both of their games. Manuel has shown in more games than not (Carolina, Cleveland, New England and Jets #2) that he has the ability to be a very good pocket passer. He does not make a lot of "killer" mistakes (i.e. blatantly throwing interceptions). Mistakes happen, and he has made many. However, I do not think that Glennon has SO outplayed all of the other starting rookie Quarterbacks that were drafted with him to say that he is by far the best. We'll see how these two old foes look against one another in four weeks. That should give us a good comparative.

Wanna bet?

That aside, your hypocrisy concerning Nassib and Manuel is shocking.

But it's no surprise at all.

Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid tastes great.

Wish I had some.

Can't wait.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

So would one bad game by Glennon, as he said, then all of a suddent not make him not the best QB in this rookie class? I feel like he was extremely strong in how he stated his opinion. He did not speak specifically to EJ or Geno, although Cowherd did not ask him any follow-up questions other than to sound stunned and say "really?!?"

Probably. Cosell has proven to be a dime-a-dozen reactionary guy in the media.

Good response. I just am a big fan of patience, especially with young QBs. However, the key is to know when to pull the plug. I think after the 2nd year, you have an idea if the guy has potential. A guy like Blaine Gabbert is in his 2nd year but it seems pretty clear he doesn't have it. On the other hand, a guy like Tannehill has been pretty average but he deserves a 3rd year but if I was Miami, he'd be on a short leash.

Yeah, I feel bad. At the same time, he was a QB for a major college and now for Tampa Bay (best combo of hot, dumb chicks in the world). He definitely is out kicking his coverage in the lady department.

> I just am a big fan of patience, especially with young QBs.

As am I.

> However, the key is to know when to pull the plug.

Also agreed. As an example, the Carolina Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen's replacement one year after drafting Jimmy Clausen. Assuming Newton continues to be as productive in the future as he's been in the past, pulling the plug when they did was a very good move on the Panthers' part.

I don't think there's a default answer to the question, "How many years should you give a first or second round QB before you pull the plug?"

The answer to that question is going to vary based on why the QB was drafted in the first place, how much he's shown in practice and in games, whether he's making progress and learning, and the quality of the available replacement prospects. If your rookie QB just threw four interceptions in a game, were those INTs sprinkled in among other plays which made him look like a franchise QB? Or are this guy's top 50% plays like Trent Edwards' top 50%?

> I just am a big fan of patience, especially with young QBs.

As am I.

> However, the key is to know when to pull the plug.

Also agreed. As an example, the Carolina Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen's replacement one year after drafting Jimmy Clausen. Assuming Newton continues to be as productive in the future as he's been in the past, pulling the plug when they did was a very good move on the Panthers' part.

I don't think there's a default answer to the question, "How many years should you give a first or second round QB before you pull the plug?"

The answer to that question is going to vary based on why the QB was drafted in the first place, how much he's shown in practice and in games, whether he's making progress and learning, and the quality of the available replacement prospects. If your rookie QB just threw four interceptions in a game, were those INTs sprinkled in among other plays which made him look like a franchise QB? Or are this guy's top 50% plays like Trent Edwards' top 50%?

I agree with this. I just don't know why you're so hard on EJ. He missed 2 weeks of his first training camp and a month of his rookie season. Right now, he has a 2 td to 1 int ratio. He just played his best game without his top 2 wrs. He is miles about of how Trent (7 tds, 8 ints) and Losman (in his 2nd season he was beyond awful) have looked.

And if we drafted a rookie, you don't think they will struggle?

I agree with this. I just don't know why you're so hard on EJ. He missed 2 weeks of his first training camp and a month of his rookie season. Right now, he has a 2 td to 1 int ratio. He just played his best game without his top 2 wrs. He is miles about of how Trent (7 tds, 8 ints) and Losman (in his 2nd season he was beyond awful) have looked.

And if we drafted a rookie, you don't think they will struggle?

I don't want to go OT by discussing EJ, so all I'll say here is this: I wouldn't have drafted him in the first place.

That said, I have egg on my face already due to my endorsement of Rob Johnson and, later, Trent Edwards. If I'm wrong about EJ, the additional egg on my face probably won't make much difference.

So what do you think right now about RGIII?

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

True. Probably has gotten more tail than all of us combined.

Actually, I wouldn't laugh. In 1980 and 1981, he ran it a lot. He didn't when he played for Washington, but he was older then.

http://www.pro-footb.../W/WillDo01.htm

Dave.

The poster twice posted about "Super Bowl-winning QBs" who were running QBs.

The argument he was trying to make was quite clear so let's not go off on a semantic tangent.

My point is very clear and it refutes his point: Doug Williams was not a running QB when he won the Super Bowl.

As your link shows quite clearly, Williams averaged less than 3 rushing attempts per game over his career and and only three-tenths of a rushing attempt (17 rushing attempts in 51 games) while in Washington.