2013 Pro Bowl Balloting: Mario, Kyle, and Byrd Elected.

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wake and Watt, hilarious. Both have been underwhelming

Ngata, Burfict, McCoy and polamula. Ha

Wtf is suggs doing in there. The dude has been **** all year. I guess the quota on Ravens LB's.

I like KiKo but of those ILB, who would he replace? Hopefully he'll be an alternate after the smoke clears.

Kiko might not have played as good of season as those guys but many of the DL and LB, as always, get in on big name.

Keuchly had many mental lapses this year, I like watching him because he does some damn great things but he is like Alonso, and will be caught with his pants around his ankles far more then reasonably acceptable.

Oh I forgot about the legend and the myth. Thanks for the reminder...LOL!

You're welcome... :D

Wtf is suggs doing in there. The dude has been **** all year. I guess the quota on Ravens LB's.

Kiko might not have played as good of season as those guys but many of the DL and LB, as always, get in on big name.

Keuchly had many mental lapses this year, I like watching him because he does some damn great things but he is like Alonso, and will be caught with his pants around his ankles far more then reasonably acceptable.

I watched almost all the Panthers games and you're 100% right...Kiko and Luke are VERY similar in that way...I think next year Kiko will further improve and he'll get in easy... B-)

I was thinking about it as I wrapped up the chores with the mooables. I have seen, as a whole, some of the worst football in my life playedthis season in every game. Without further thought I think it is a lack of fundamental play which makes me that much interested to watch some more football from this season. And I've noticed Marrone talk a big game on basics and fundamentals. Maybe it will pay off.

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Jairus Byrd

No Kiko. No Darues. No Wood.

Byrd has all the leverage again. Only highest paid safety in the league deal or the tag will keep him here next year.

Of all the players you listed I'd drop Byrd (Byrd has played fine though) on the list and add Kiko. I don't think either Dareus or Wood deserve to be in the pro bowl. If anyone deserves a pro bowl selection on the offensive line is Cordy Glenn.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Only highest paid safety in the league deal or the tag will keep him here next year.

Sets up perfect scenario for tag and trade situation. This only increases Byrd's trade value. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying him the franchise tag money and letting him walk in 2015 if a trade doesn't work out.

I was thinking about it as I wrapped up the chores with the mooables. I have seen, as a whole, some of the worst football in my life playedthis season in every game. Without further thought I think it is a lack of fundamental play which makes me that much interested to watch some more football from this season. And I've noticed Marrone talk a big game on basics and fundamentals. Maybe it will pay off.

Seriously though.

The tackling, just basic heads up, see your target, wrap up, bring down. Doesn't exist anymore. Also there is a complete class of WR that catches with their shoulder. Wtf, I wouldn't even allow that in my practice squad.

It is noticeable across the NFL. I hope it gets better I hope it's just hang over from the lock out.

Pretty amazing the 3 of our starters on D made pro-bowl. 2 others are likely alternates (kiko and Dareus) even though Kiko should definitely have made it from get go. That's 5/11 of our D. Throw in players like Hughes and A. Williams who have excellent yrs as well, thats 7 guys on our D that can be serious contenders yr in yr out for pro-bowl. Also Gilmore can reach that level if he can become more consistent which i think he takes that next step next yr and becomes an elite CB if he can stay healthy.

If only they can find more ways to get Spiller the ball and have him emerge as the lead back, not just between the 20's and emerge like Jamaal Charles did this yr. Very similar type of player.. I cant remember CJ running any "WR type routes" after getting split out. All his catches were either Screens or check downs.. Hopefully his ankle is issue of past and he can regain the form he showed last yr and EJ can take steps forward and we land another WR via early in draft or FA to play with Woods and Goodwin and we have a serious shot next yr at playoffs..

Been a LONG time that we go into the offseason with so "few holes"... Normally we have alot more positions with guys in flux than we will this off season and we actually have some real game breakers, especially on D

Sets up perfect scenario for tag and trade situation. This only increases Byrd's trade value. Personally, I wouldn't mind paying him the franchise tag money and letting him walk in 2015 if a trade doesn't work out.

I would tag Byrd to get a trade. Get something in return.

Well that isn't going to help our contract talks with Byrd. :cry:

Thats first thing that came to my mind too when i saw him listed... Missed all those games and STILL made pro-bowl?? He did really play well in 2nd half but to get a pro-bowl nod on a team with 2 other players (kiko and Dareus) who were more deserving and i'd even throw in Aaron Williams who went from looking like a bust to a true difference maker on Pettine's D.

Hopefully we open the check book to Jairus cuz we really do need him out there patrolling CF as he is 1 of top FS in league and already has an ego and a holdout under his belt with an agent who is a pain in rear to negotiate with... We certainly have the cap room and he will command a deal similar to Golson from last yr, maybe MORE now that he got elected to another pro-bowl.. The duo of him and Williams and having Searcy as our 3rd safety should be left untouched and is probably our strongest position along with DL

Seriously though.

The tackling, just basic heads up, see your target, wrap up, bring down. Doesn't exist anymore. Also there is a complete class of WR that catches with their shoulder. Wtf, I wouldn't even allow that in my practice squad.

It is noticeable across the NFL. I hope it gets better I hope it's just hang over from the lock out.

Not to be a downer, but it is only going to get worse... have even heard guys who make their careers off the NFL teet agreeing, this season there was a very big drop off in the quality of play...it has been happening slowly, but I think people are finally recognizing it. It will only get worse (or the standard for what is good vs bad football will change), as the rules change, and the awareness of head injuries become front burner topics. NFLers coming out and saying they wouldn't let their kids play the game...the NFL, as we know it, is going to change a lot. Another 10-12 years from now, as this new approach toward the game hits all levels, we will really start to see the results.

Thats first thing that came to my mind too when i saw him listed... Missed all those games and STILL made pro-bowl?? He did really play well in 2nd half but to get a pro-bowl nod on a team with 2 other players (kiko and Dareus) who were more deserving and i'd even throw in Aaron Williams who went from looking like a bust to a true difference maker on Pettine's D.

Aaron Williams is a perfect example of fans' being way too impatient... more guys, than not, take time to make the jump from college to the pros.

Seriously though.

Watch the angles players take on coverage units. My god it is horrible and there would be far more TD's returned if the return teams could actually get their head out of their butt and have discipline to stay in their blocking lanes.

The OL, too. I have never seen so many players rely on the grab-fist-hold type of blocking that they have. For those reading this that do not know the method it is where you engage the defender across the chest with open hands until you clench his jersey in your hands then use your facemask and arms to push him and your hands to steer. It used to be that defenders were good enough to create space between the OL and separate. Now we see a headslap and 15 yards, or a hands to the face, or anything stupid. Defenders have lost some tools in their bags but they're not helping themselves by playing so poorly. Like many examples, this is what separates Kyle Williams and Mario Williams from many others - they make space and keep their bodies off of the blockers.

LB's are not scraping to save their life and I have seen more crappy RB's break 10-15-20 yard runs because no one is filling holes this year then ever imagined. We are seeing guys like Ray Rice and Chris Johnson bust them up the middle for way too much yardage and no one able to stop them when the ILB can't plug a hole. Don't get me wrong, because Rice, Johnson and Spiller sure don't seem to be playing like RB's in the 90's. Emmitt Smith would not be arm tackled by a FS 17 yards downfield. The only RB worth a damn in this league that is a true RB like the style of old is Lynch. Fred Jackson is a favorite of mine but he is still of the new age of player that just isn't the same, and part of that is because he doesn't have the same break out talent and tools that many better backs do. (What Fred does have is the ability to use all his 'tools' at 100% effectiveness and with 110% effort - don't ever tell me that effort matters).

Of course, there is my favorite: QB's. Ever since Mike Vick and Flutie we've seen QB's who emulate that type of mindset. What was that movie where the coach said "winners always want the ball?" It was Keanu Reeves - was that the Replacements? Anyway, that's how QB's are and it's to their fault that they're not letting their teammates play, too. Guys like Cutler, Kaepernick, RGIII, the former Cam Newton, Geno Smith, and Vick all want to make the most out of a play themselves. Guys like Fitzpatrick, Alex Smith, Russell Wilson, Brady, Manning, and Flacco are quick to let their teammates make the most of a situation when they know they might be able to make better. Smith and Fitzpatrick are two of my favorites because they'll go so far as to try to get the ball to the TE and fail when they could have just ran it 6 yards themselves with an open field to get the first down. Matt Ryan is squandering his talent away on a team that doesn't give two craps, too.

The NFL is at it's all time level of suck and the Pro Bowl is just the cherry on top.

Byrd made it! Haha-- what a joke. Jim Leonard made a better case than Byrd this year.

duuuuuude you're crazy. Leonhard made a lot of good and great plays,sure but he flubbed up a ton, too. Byrd has not made many mistakes and played a nearly perfect season - when playing.

Also, what is interesting about Byrd is that maybe he was voted in to help get him some money. You know, players trying to help the brother.

Byrd made it! Haha-- what a joke. Jim Leonard made a better case than Byrd this year.

You really get a bit crazy on the love of scrappy backup players sometimes. Byrd played very well. He was at one point leading all safeties in interceptions I believe, despite missing a month.

I was actually just using Leonard to highlight the absurdity of the Byrd selection.

I think Leonard is who he is-- a back-up who had an okay year.

Byrd is a guy who basically played half a season and had one standout game against geno smith.

11 games is more than half a season. He has looked pretty good in every game, I think.

Not sure about Cameron Wake or Ngata in terms of what they've done this season. But you're crazy to scoff at Watt, Gerald McCoy and Burfict. All three are no-brainers. Then again, you probably think TJ Graham had a case...

MIke Pettine is the Bills MVP.

Why?? All of the Bills players who made pro bowl were on defense. I can't remember the last time a Bills player made the pro bowl out right .....not to mention 3 with a possible 5..........in addition, the 3 that made it were here last year as well......Mike Pettine is a toptier defensive mind and I hope he gets credit

Uhh they only take 4 ILB's in the entire league. I encourage you to look up the 4 chosen ahead of him and make a case for him to get in over any of them.

Based on this year's stats (and not their well known names), Kiko has had a better year than Willis and a comparable year to Bowman. Kiko has been better in some area's and Bowman has been better in some. I have no problem with Bowman over him. He should have got in over Willis though. Better stats in most categories. But it is a popularity contest which is why he didn't (and part of the reason Polamalu did for example).

Based on this year's stats (and not their well known names), Kiko has had a better year than Willis and a comparable year to Bowman. Kiko has been better in some area's and Bowman has been better in some. I have no problem with Bowman over him. He should have got in over Willis though. Better stats in most categories. But it is a popularity contest which is why he didn't (and part of the reason Polamalu did for example).

I agree it is a popularity contest for the most part, which is why many in Buffalo think Kiko should have got in. He had a very good year for a rookie, I don't think he is pro bowl caliber. He makes a lot of tackles because all inside linebackers make a lot of tackles. If he continues to improve he could make some pro bowls. He still needs work, but he is off to a good start.

But pro bowl good?

Byrd looked average to me this year. He was the 2nd best safety on the team (after AW). I can't fathom how he could be one of the top 2 or 3 safeties in the league this year.

I'm assuming you live in Pittsburgh so you might have a closer view of the Steelers. Did Polamalu deserve to get in over Byrd (or Aaron for that matter as they're both SS)? I heard a bunch of talk about him declining this year.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I'm assuming you live in Pittsburgh so you might have a closer view of the Steelers. Did Polamalu deserve to get in over Byrd (or Aaron for that matter as they're both SS)? I heard a bunch of talk about him declining this year.

He had a great year. But name recognition got him in the team over, say, Williams. I think Byrd got that same name recognition bump.