Will Pettine be a Buffalo Bill next season?

Pettine  

165 members have voted

1. 1. Will Pettine be a Buffalo Bill next season?

• Yes
    • No

I think this will be the story of the upcoming off season for Bills fans. The guy has taken a putrid defense and turned it into a top-10 squad (if you believe Football Outsiders, anyway) with pretty much the same personnel on the field.

But is Buffalo merely a stepping stone into a head coaching job? Like most years in the modern NFL, multiple teams will be searching for a new coach. Vikings, Bucs, Titans, Texans, Cowboys in all likelihood. Turning the Bills around has been a great opportunity for Pettine to prove that he wasn't just a stooge for Rex Ryan.

On the other hand, it's hard to miss how much the defense has gelled under his tutelage. And it's a reality that not EVERY coordinator desires a HC job. In fact, that promotion has proven time and time again to be a career setback if the first opportunity isn't a good one.

Personally I think he stays.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pettine wants to be a HC. It's one of the reasons he left the Jets.

That said, I think it will take building this D into a top elite unit(think 1 or 2 overall) OR a few years of consistent success to really get his name out there. He has never interviewed for any HC jobs and usually you have to go through a few to get a job.

There is an old thread on this and I bet that it is hilarious at this point. I remember how many people were arguing that Wanny wasn't the problem, etc... Pettine is a really good coach that will be a head man at some point. My thought all along was that it would be 2 years and I will stick with that.

Pettine wants to be a HC. It's one of the reasons he left the Jets.

That said, I think it will take building this D into a top elite unit(think 1 or 2 overall) OR a few years of consistent success to really get his name out there. He has never interviewed for any HC jobs and usually you have to go through a few to get a job.

He wants to be a HC? How do you know?

Anyone can speculate why he left the Jets. The biggest reasons could be that Rex was taking over the defense again and was going to call all the plays. The other is rumored that Pettine was an inside source to the media and he and Rex had a falling out.

It seems like most believe that Pettine wanted to get away from Rex's shadow and establish his name as a premier defensive mind in the league. It doesn't mean he wants to be a HC and will ditch us at the first opportunity.

Edited by Bangarang

Our D looks stacked on paper, like a Top 10 unit, which we aren't (yet). That said, the relative success the defense is enjoying is likely more of an indictment on how bad Wanstash was.

That is a huge part of it. With the prep that teams do now (which is far beyond when stache had success) you need to confuse them. I don't care what talent you have if they know where you are going to be they can make plays. Wanny was awful.

With that being said Pettine has done the opposite. He has kept teams guessing, been aggressive and players have improved. I think that he has been the opposite of Wanny. He is a really good d coordinator.