I still believe in EJ Manuel

4 of the Bills 7 losses have been by 10+ points.

Count me as one of the many. And not because of instant gratification, although instant gratification is nice!

Sure we want to develop EJ and that's vitally important. Also important is for our guys to learn how to WIN. Losing breeds losing. If we lose out in hopes of developing EJ, we'll just reinforce on the rest of the team that we're really not trying to win and are in a fact a loser franchise. We should be trying to develop a whole winning team, not just one guy.

I feel that the bold is cliche. To win, a team simply scores more points than their opponent. It's not like this team has quit on themselves or been outclassed most games. In fact, outside the debacle in Pittsburgh, they've looked every bit like they can compete with any team on their schedule.

I agree that winning is the most important thing; absent that, developing your young QB is at the top of the list IMO.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that the bold is cliche. To win, a team simply scores more points than their opponent. It's not like this team has quit on themselves or been outclassed most games. In fact, outside the debacle in Pittsburgh, they've looked every bit like they can compete with any team on their schedule.

I disagree. In the Chiefs, Jets, Bungles, and Clowns games you see a team that doesn't know how to win. We were there, right in it, winning, and then blew it. Learning how to NOT blow it and actually bring home a win is what the team needs to learn how to do.

As far as the bolded part, if they can compete, how come they cant' win? That's what they need to learn how to do. Obviously it's not easy since we've been doing this exact same thing regularly for the last 13 years.

I think we can do both, learn to win and develop EJ.

Sure we want to develop EJ and that's vitally important. Also important is for our guys to learn how to WIN. Losing breeds losing. If we lose out in hopes of developing EJ, we'll just reinforce on the rest of the team that we're really not trying to win and are in a fact a loser franchise. We should be trying to develop a whole winning team, not just one guy.

Not much to disagree with here. And I sure wouldn't mind seeing the entire team get better week to week! :)

But it's still the improvement that I will be looking for, not W's. Not that there is anything wrong with W's! ;)

* The fact that Barkley was chosen at the top of the fourth round indicates that San Jose Bills Fan was almost certainly correct about Barkley lacking the minimal level of arm strength to succeed as a starter.

I consider Greg Cosell as one of the best draft analysts around. He considered Barkley to be a very low round caliber of player. He basically believed that Barkley's arm strength disqualified him from being a NFL starter. He felt that the best he could develop into was a backup qb with little prospect of being a franchise qb.

His take on EJ Manuel was much more positive. He felt that he had intriguing physical abilities but that it was going to take some time for him to develop. My gentle recommendation to you is to be more patient and ride this horse a little longer.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ves-cosell-says

Edited by JohnC

John, I have to disagree. Are the Bills a great team? Of course not, but I believe they have more than enough talent on this roster to have made the playoffs this year if they had had good, not great, quarterbacking. How many teams in the league would have won this year with Jeff Teul, EJ, and Thad at QB? Look what has happened to GB since they lost Rogers. Look what has happened to Houston since Matt Schaub turned into a bad QB. What do you think the Pats' record would be with Teul, EJ or Thad behind center?

Right from the start the Bills were going to play a rookie this year. That precluded us from being a serious playoff team this year and probably next year. I'm not criticizing that approach because I agreed with the organization's stance of developing your own drafted qb. In my view it is going to take more than a couple of years to get to the point that he can be effective enough to be a good franchise qb. Coming out of college his game was not mature enough (like Luck, RGIII or Russell Wilson) to propel this team beyond its average talent level.

Your example of Rodgers is misplaced. He sat for three full years before he started. Drew Brees was not an instant success story. EJ should never be compared to a Peyton or Brady or be mentioned in the same sentence with those two historically good qbs.

When this new regime took over ((Whaley/Marrone/Brandon) it was clear that they were working on a rebuild . It was going to take at least three years (my view) before this team would become a serious team. People are constantly using the hypothetical argument that if they had a Rodgers or Brees type qb this team would be an immediate playoff team. The problem with that scenario is that the hypothetical scenario is not the real life scenario. We are working with a rookie developmental qb who is going to take some time to become an accomplished qb, assuming that he can ever be that type of franchise qb. That is still a big question mark.

Buddy Nix made a disasterous mistake when he bypassed Russell Wilson to draft TJ. Graham. It set this franchise back by years. The trajectory of this team would have been stunningly higher.

Edited by JohnC

I disagree. In the Chiefs, Jets, Bungles, and Clowns games you see a team that doesn't know how to win. We were there, right in it, winning, and then blew it. Learning how to NOT blow it and actually bring home a win is what the team needs to learn how to do.

As far as the bolded part, if they can compete, how come they cant' win? That's what they need to learn how to do. Obviously it's not easy since we've been doing this exact same thing regularly for the last 13 years.

I think we can do both, learn to win and develop EJ.

My issue isn't with the concept that they need to win those close games--they do. What I'm saying is that the phrasing "Learn how to win" is cliche IMO. They lost to the Jets because they started slow and then couldn't cover anyone. They lost to the Browns & Chiefs because Jeff Tuel isn't an NFL QB. They hung with a Bengals team that's a better team than they are, but eventually lost because they couldn't move the ball in overtime and had special teams breakdowns.

In my mind, these are issues with talent/depth and in-game execution. If you define getting better in those areas as part of "learning to win", then I agree. For me, that statement sounds more like coachspeak, whereas saying that the team needs more talent and depth in certain areas and needs to execute better out of the gate when they're on the road makes their issues sound like quantifiable/measurable improvement markers.

I know it's semantics; I'm just saying that "learn how to win" is nebulous and has little meaning to me.

This season, there have been moments where the defense stumbled, where special teams was anything but, and puzzling coaching decisions were made. But by and large, those three areas have been good enough for the Bills to have won about 7 games. The single overriding theme for the failures of the Bills this season is QB play. And a lot of that can be attributed to 4 key injuries: Kolb's 2 before the season, EJ's in training camp and most devastating for the team and the player, the knee injury in Cleveland.

As some have pointed out, EJ was regarded as being raw, in need of training, but having a tremendous upside. I have no way of definitively proving this, but I believe the plan was to start Kolb and have EJ sit this season, or most of it, much like the Packers did with Rodgers. Well, that blew up in their faces and maybe it was always foolish to expect Kolb with his history of injuries to be the starter. In any case, it seems to me that a very imperfect EJ was forced into a situation he really wasn't ready for just yet. Yeah, he did okay but the flaws were there all along as has been amply dissected here and in the press.

Could EJ turn out to be the "franchise QB" we all hoped? If this was last August, I would have been optimistic about his chances. Now, I'm not so sure. After the last injury and a month off, he appears to have massively regressed. Right now he looks lost out there. And this week could be even worse without Woods and Stevie and facing Ryan's defense. So, based on the promise of just a few weeks ago, I'm willing to withhold final judgment until the end of the season in hopes that he turns it around. As a Bills fan, it would be a wonderful thing if he did. But if he doesn't make a strong improvement, drafting a QB moves to the top of the off-season "To Do" list.

My issue isn't with the concept that they need to win those close games--they do. What I'm saying is that the phrasing "Learn how to win" is cliche IMO. They lost to the Jets because they started slow and then couldn't cover anyone. They lost to the Browns & Chiefs because Jeff Tuel isn't an NFL QB. They hung with a Bengals team that's a better team than they are, but eventually lost because they couldn't move the ball in overtime and had special teams breakdowns.

In my mind, these are issues with talent/depth and in-game execution. If you define getting better in those areas as part of "learning to win", then I agree. For me, that statement sounds more like coachspeak, whereas saying that the team needs more talent and depth in certain areas and needs to execute better out of the gate when they're on the road makes their issues sound like quantifiable/measurable improvement markers.

I know it's semantics; I'm just saying that "learn how to win" is nebulous and has little meaning to me.

Well said. All the cliches get away from talking about what is specifically going wrong for this team. Hopefully this Sunday goes well as I've barely managed to not jump head first off of my roof the previous 2 Sundays.

I believe in ej too. That being said j would still draft a qb in the first round every yer until you find one that sticks. I expect the bills to do this in the 1st round next year because we don't have anyone to compete with ej

I consider Greg Cosell as one of the best draft analysts around. He considered Barkley to be a very low round caliber of player. He basically believed that Barkley's arm strength disqualified him from being a NFL starter. He felt that the best he could develop into was a backup qb with little prospect of being a franchise qb.

His take on EJ Manuel was much more positive. He felt that he had intriguing physical abilities but that it was going to take some time for him to develop. My gentle recommendation to you is to be more patient and ride this horse a little longer.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ves-cosell-says

I read your post, then listened to the Cosell interview. Cosell said two things which, taken together, are telling:

1) From the article: "Cosell labeled the USC passer [barkley] a fourth-round talent"

2) From 0:35 of the video: "I wouldn't put him [Manuel] past Barkley at this point."

If Cosell regards Barkley as a fourth round talent, and isn't willing to rank Manuel ahead of Barkley, the implication is that he and I are on the same page in terms of regarding Manuel as a fourth round talent or lower. Cosell said some positive things about Manuel's physical talents. But he also criticized Manuel's downfield accuracy and mechanics; and said it would "take time" for him to contribute as a professional. Normally when I've heard that "take time" thing, it's meant that a QB hasn't proven himself as a pocket passer at the college level; and is extremely unlikely to ever prove himself as a pocket passer at the NFL level.

> My gentle recommendation to you is to be more patient and ride this horse a little longer.

I take no joy in false hope. At this point, there's no objective reason to believe Manuel will be any different than any other first round QB bust. That's not a guarantee he will be a bust. But my level of hope in him is based on where he should have been taken (fourth round or later), not where he was taken.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

This whole discussion is about cherry picking. If someone wants to declare EJ a bust, all they have to do is point to the Jets and Steelers games and call it case-closed. If someone wants to declare that EJ can make the plays needed to be an NFL QB, all they have to do is point to a handful of plays like the Chandler throw that set up the Woods TD vs. NE, the Stevie TD vs. NE, and the final drive against Carolina and their point is readily made.

If you ask me (and nobody did), both sides would be over-stating their argument. It's been 6 games (5-1/2 really), concluding anything from that sample size is simply poor evaluation skill.

Meh....who asked you thebandit27? :nana:

(I agree with your post btw.)

Can we stop pretending the ultimate decision as to whether EJ can be the guy will be based on 6 games? By my count he's got 6 games to go. And while 12 games is not an ideal sample, it's far from meaningless. In the meantime we're all waiting hopefully - some are just more optimistic than others.

And even that "meaningful sample size" will likely not be enough either way for an NFL team to cast aside a #1 pick. The decision won't be made until after 2014.

E J Manuel is the #1 ranked most "clutch" QB in the league. so says an article in the latest edition of ESPN the Magazine.

titled "Measuring the Immeasurable" who's clutch?

without re-typing the whole thing, it starts out by saying "you know how some scoring drives matter, while others are garbage time".

with emphasis on QB's who are leading scoring drives when games are close, late in game or both.

guys ranked poorly produce points when it matters less, they're not clutch. example tony romo.

(while interesting, i'm still drafting another QB in the first or second round in upcoming draft).

Our 22 year old rookie who just missed a month struggled against a coach who is 19-2 against rookie QBs??? CUT HIM NOW!!!

I have no idea if Manuel is the answer but some of you are laughable. You would have ran Jim Kelly out of town as a rookie. What ever happen to patience and allowing a player to develop?

Our 22 year old rookie who just missed a month struggled against a coach who is 19-2 against rookie QBs??? CUT HIM NOW!!!

I have no idea if Manuel is the answer but some of you are laughable. You would have ran Jim Kelly out of town as a rookie. What ever happen to patience and allowing a player to develop?

I think it is a bad mix of the fan base running out of any patience that was left after 13 years + EJ being somewhat of a project (perhaps a worthwhile one) as an NFL QB. The Bills feel he is the real deal. Since I don't work as a GM or college talent evaluator for the NFL, I will assume they feel they can develop him into a franchise QB. The book on EJ is unique. I have liked what I have seen from him in many ways - it s hard for me to read the really one-sided bashing posts that say he will never amount to anything. No one knows that, so let's see what happens. I do think fans who are banking on the Bills taking another QB high in the the draft this year if EJ still doesn't look good by the end of the season are going to be disappointed. They will give him at least one more year. They may sign another veteran QB if a decent one becomes available. That's about all I can see on that front. They are committed to developing him within this system, and they should be. They (he, Marrone, Hackett) all came in together and they are invested in this working.

And lets not forget that JK got to play two seasons in the USFL before ever getting an NFL start in front of the Bills fans. While he was excellent there, it was widely considered an inferior league as a whole. Taking absolutely nothing away from his HOF career, just pointing out it was valuable playing time for his development. Not saying by any stretch that EJM will be another Kelly some day, but the jury is still out on Manuel. In fact, we're still in opening statements, really.

I think it is a bad mix of the fan base running out of any patience that was left after 13 years + EJ being somewhat of a project (perhaps a worthwhile one) as an NFL QB. The Bills feel he is the real deal. Since I don't work as a GM or college talent evaluator for the NFL, I will assume they feel they can develop him into a franchise QB. The book on EJ is unique. I have liked what I have seen from him in many ways - it s hard for me to read the really one-sided bashing posts that say he will never amount to anything. No one knows that, so let's see what happens. I do think fans who are banking on the Bills taking another QB high in the the draft this year if EJ still doesn't look good by the end of the season are going to be disappointed. They will give him at least one more year. They may sign another veteran QB if a decent one becomes available. That's about all I can see on that front. They are committed to developing him within this system, and they should be. They (he, Marrone, Hackett) all came in together and they are invested in this working.

> Since I don't work as a GM or

> college talent evaluator for the

> NFL, I will assume they feel they

> can develop him into a franchise QB.

Right. Because the Bills' string of uninterrupted success stories at the quarterback position are enough to inspire blind confidence in almost anyone. I will never forget the sheer brilliance of the Todd Collins selection; or the clever move to trade a third round pick for Billy Joe Hobart. Trading a first for Rob Johnson was a good call. The Bills also proved smarter than the rest of the league when they were the only ones to offer a first round pick for Drew Bledsoe. Using a first round pick on Losman was a great idea, even though he fit the profile for a standard-issue first round bust. With a track record like that, how could anyone possibly have any doubts at all about the Manuel selection? I mean, granted, the guy wasn't an accomplished pocket passer at the college level; and just about every other first round QB like that has gone on to be a bust. But if someone with a sterling track record like the Bills' front office says Manuel will be the exception to that rule, how could anyone possibly question their judgement?

Right. Because the Bills' string of uninterrupted success stories at the quarterback position are enough to inspire blind confidence in almost anyone. I will never forget the sheer brilliance of the Todd Collins selection; or the clever move to trade a third round pick for Billy Joe Hobart. Trading a first for Rob Johnson was a good call. The Bills also proved smarter than the rest of the league when they were the only ones to offer a first round pick for Drew Bledsoe. Using a first round pick on Losman was a great idea, even though he fit the profile for a standard-issue first round bust. With a track record like that, how could anyone possibly have any doubts at all about the Manuel selection? I mean, granted, the guy wasn't an accomplished pocket passer at the college level; and just about every other first round QB like that has gone on to be a bust. But if someone with a sterling track record like the Bills' front office says Manuel will be the exception to that rule, how could anyone possibly question their judgement?

The fact is that the past has almost nothing to do with the present as the people behind those moves are no longer part of the Bills F.O. And even if they were, it may not amount to much. The examples you cited are no more relevant than it would be to assume that since Jim Kelly was a great QB, and the Bills drafted Kelly in the first round, therefore EJ Manuel will be a great QB because he was drafted by the Bills in the first round. This is clearly not the case. Most Bills fans have doubts about E J Manuel because we don't know if he will be a good NFL QB or not. We will know around 2015 or so, as Manuel will either still be the Bills QB, or he won't. But the whole thing is kind of like that disclaimer that they read in mutual fund ads. You know, "past performance is not a guarantee of future success" or something to that effect.

The fact is that the past has almost nothing to do with the present as the people behind those moves are no longer part of the Bills F.O. And even if they were, it may not amount to much. The examples you cited are no more relevant than it would be to assume that since Jim Kelly was a great QB, and the Bills drafted Kelly in the first round, therefore EJ Manuel will be a great QB because he was drafted by the Bills in the first round. This is clearly not the case. Most Bills fans have doubts about E J Manuel because we don't know if he will be a good NFL QB or not. We will know around 2015 or so, as Manuel will either still be the Bills QB, or he won't. But the whole thing is kind of like that disclaimer that they read in mutual fund ads. You know, "past performance is not a guarantee of future success" or something to that effect.

> The fact is that the past has almost

> nothing to do with the present as the

> people behind those moves are no

> longer part of the Bills F.O.

Granted. I'm guessing that most of the faces in the Bills' front office are different than had been the case the last time around (Losman pick). To clarify my last post: I'm not trying to say that we should automatically assume everything this front office does is a boneheaded move. (Even though there have been plenty of boneheaded moves in the post-Polian era.) What I am trying to say is that we shouldn't automatically place blind faith in the Bills' front office; any more than we'd place blind faith in the front office of the St. Louis Rams, the Jacksonville Jaguars, or some other team which has been below .500 in recent years.

When Jacksonville took Blaine Gabbert, or Denver took Tebow, or the Raiders took Jamarcus Russell, it was easy for a lot of people here to see very early on that those players would be busts. The Buffalo front office hasn't proven itself better than those other teams' front offices. Manuel is not a better prospect than Gabbert, Losman, or a number of other QBs like that. But people on these boards have made an emotional investment in Manuel that they didn't make in QBs like Gabbert, which is why Manuel is being discussed differently.

Hey, I'm as frustrated as anybody and won't let this administration off the hook for the bad decisions they make/have made. The problem is you're trying to blame them for somebody else's decisions just because they work for the same franchise. If you're going to do that they you should give them credit for landing and developing Kelly and Kemp.

The fact is that the past has almostWhen Jacksonville took Blaine Gabbert, or Denver took Tebow, or the Raiders took Jamarcus Russell, it was easy for a lot of people here to see very early on that those players would be busts. The Buffalo front office hasn't proven itself better than those other teams' front offices. Manuel is not a better prospect than Gabbert, Losman, or a number of other QBs like that. But people on these boards have made an emotional investment in Manuel that they didn't make in QBs like Gabbert, which is why Manuel is being discussed differently.

It appears that you have already made an iron-clad judgment on Manuel. You have a specific qb profile that you adhere to when evaluating prospects. You would have passed on unconventional qbs such as Newton or Kaepernick and favored more cerebral qbs such as Schaub and Alex Smith. Another way of describing your position on qb prospects is that you have a script and unless a prospect matches with your self-limiting script you will not deviate on your approach to grading qb prospects.

My problem with your position (approach) is that it is too restrictive. Open up your playbook and add more pages to it. There are different styles of running that can be successful. There are different types of receivers that can be successful. There are different coaching styles that can be successful. There are different philosophies that GMs take in building teams that do well.

I don't know if EJ is going to be a successful qb. No one does. But that is the point. It is simply too early to make that determination on him. What you witness this year is not necessarily what you will witness next year and the year after. It's a process. Sometimes the road to a destination is smooth and in a straight line. And more often than not the road follows a circuitous route with a lot of pot holes.

I have no problem with you being uncertain about EJ, as I am. But I do have an issue with your declarative position on him at this stage of the game.

Edited by JohnC