I still believe in EJ Manuel

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You simply don't draft a project at the 16th pick of the first round. I agree with the positive comments about his demeanor, character, athleticism, etc. That's all great and hopefully it translates into competent NFL quarterback someday, but he's clearly not an NFL ready quarterback right now. You can find plenty of "potential" in later rounds. This pick represents the arrogance incompetence of our coaches and management. I personally don't even care about mistakes and losses at this point, I just want to be entertained when I watch on Sunday. For this to happen, I'd have to see Manuel making the kind of throws and plays that that get you excited and give you hope for the future. Yes it's his first game back, but that performance was awful. At the very least he shouldn't have been out there if he wasn't ready to play. Nothing about his performance suggested he was.

Edited by Puckman5

There is little intangible that cannot be weighed or measured.....and I think EJ has it.....

And I think he bounces back next week.

I was thinking today that he has the intangibles, but maybe not the tangibles.

Accuracy is what he lacks.

Well that too, didn't want to pile on.

then we wouldn't of had any of the top QBs.....?

that's the point there were no top QBs. I said numerous time that we should have not drafted one at all or mid rounds like Landry Jones or Ryan Nassib, I mean could these guys be any worse. At least Nassib could run this offense and allow us to trade up for a good QB next year or the year after, while putting a winning team on the field. As Tannehill did because he ran the same offense in college.

Buffalo had a great chance to get a touchdown early, after Jairus Byrd returned an interception of a Ben Roethlisberger pass 57 yards to the Pittsburgh 29.

However, on a third-and-goal play from the 1, Manuel changed the call from the sideline from a run to a pass. He threw a fade to the right side of the end zone for Stevie Johnson. Manuel’s pass was way overthrown, too high even if Johnson had gotten a good break off the line (which he didn’t). The Bills settled for a field goal.

“We had a run called,” Manuel said. “Seeing that Stevie was one on one by himself to the corner, I always want to throw him a fade ball.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/week-10/qb-manuel-comes-undone-with-faulty-footwork-20131110

Thanks EJ :thumbdown:

Not that I don't think EJ had a bad game but I found a couple things interesting:

• Before the game, Joe B commented on the wind effecting both QB's throws. During the game Big Ben also made a bunch of horrible throws, so much so, that Gannon made a comment about. Said his mechanics looked fine and he wondered if the wind was having an effect on his throws. This makes me wonder about some of EJ's throws and why he/they didn't take shots down the field. Big Ben was checking down most of the game as well. Also might explain some of the inaccuracy.
  • The run game. I was expecting a similar game plan to the one the Bills had against KC seeing as the defenses were very similar. KC isn't great at stopping the run but is a good pass defense, based on pressuring the QB. The OL didn't show up in terms of run blocking against Pittsburgh and both RB's looked horrible. The second the Bills didn't establish a running game, the game was over.

A rookie QB, coming off a month of not playing there was sure to be some rust. Plus, I think the game plan was absolutely terrible. I'm not ready to write him off yet. IMO, this season was always going to be a rebuilding one. Just look around the league, rookie QB's struggle. Even second year QB's struggle. If this is EJ at his worse, it is no where near as close or bad as Geno's worst. Just look at the Bengals game.

I turned the game off in the 3rd quarter and watched RedZone the rest of the day...it's one thing if we play hard and just get beat by the better team, but we are starting to consistently beat ourselves with dumb penalties and turnovers...it's so damn aggravating. I got frustrated with EJ, too....especially when I see him throw short on 3rd down. But he's a smart kid with a solid work ethic and the Bills drafted him for a reason.

I don't care what happened before this year. We have a new regime and they deserve time to get it right just like every other regime change had. As of today, they have chosen EJ to be our QB, and no matter how frustrated I get or how many times I have to switch off the game in disgust, I'm going to support EJ until he's shown one way or another what kind of player he'll be in this league.

I'm in this camp. It was over early in the 3rd. I don't think Manuel is the long term answer. To passive a demeanor for the position, IMO. I've seen nothing from him to suggest he'll become a challenging 'Stop me if you can', elite QB. He's more of the mold of Flacco, Schwab(sp?), Ponder and even Matt Ryan -at best. All of whom, the jury is still out on. Yes, give the regime the chance they deserve, but definately draft another QB early next year.

EJ has to prove himself. Has rest of season. He wasn't that accurate in college. If he flops, and a top prospect is available, at a high draft position take him. At that point write him off with the list of bad top draft picks,

How is this myth being perpetuated, I was reading that by the end of his college career he was among the most accurate Qbs in the history of FSU and ACC...he was the most accurate of any QB drafted last year...a simple search shows this accuracy assertion is just wrong.

I have no problem with naysayers in this thread....come one come all....but lets come with something a little more thought out....."every game"...no not every game.......THIS game he looked bad....he had had some very strong showings for a rook in the games he played before injury......

John, you have rose colored glasses. Always have, always will and that's OK. I personally do not want to wait another 3 years while EVERYONE decides that Manuel isn't the right guy. I said it before yesterday's game (and I was skewered for it) and I'll say it again, "if the QB this team likes is sitting there in the draft they better grab him." I don't care if it's the first round or the fourth round, you see your guy you better take your guy. What's the worst that could happen?

I turned the game off in the 3rd quarter and watched RedZone the rest of the day...it's one thing if we play hard and just get beat by the better team, but we are starting to consistently beat ourselves with dumb penalties and turnovers...it's so damn aggravating. I got frustrated with EJ, too....especially when I see him throw short on 3rd down. But he's a smart kid with a solid work ethic and the Bills drafted him for a reason.

I don't care what happened before this year. We have a new regime and they deserve time to get it right just like every other regime change had. As of today, they have chosen EJ to be our QB, and no matter how frustrated I get or how many times I have to switch off the game in disgust, I'm going to support EJ until he's shown one way or another what kind of player he'll be in this league.

Well, I guess this is still a "rebuilding year" after all. Put away the popcorn.

johnny QB---hard drinkin hard playin future QB of our buffalo bills

I'd take him if he's there. He's a baller. He won't last though. Need to almost lose out to get him. hmm now there's an idea...

John, you have rose colored glasses. Always have, always will and that's OK. I personally do not want to wait another 3 years while EVERYONE decides that Manuel isn't the right guy. I said it before yesterday's game (and I was skewered for it) and I'll say it again, "if the QB this team likes is sitting there in the draft they better grab him." I don't care if it's the first round or the fourth round, you see your guy you better take your guy. What's the worst that could happen?

I don't have any problem with this idea. You should always grab a guy you think will be a star. No question.

I think were I disagree with some is that I'm willing to let a player develop. Just because it's been a fad the past couple of years to start rookie QB's, doesn't mean in year 1 a team has to determine whether he'll be a legitimate player or not. Let's not forget, QB is still the toughest position to adjust to. I think some fans wear rose-colored glasses with there assessments of other rookie QB's. Russell Wilson looked pedestrian his first half the season last year and was close to being benched. Tannehill showed very, very little last season and continue's to show very little this season. RG3 although having a good season last year, is severely slumping this season. I'd say Luck is the only guy to truly establish himself and even he has off nights, like last night.

I want sustained success, not a rookie QB that looks great his rookie year and that's it. IDK, if Manuel is or isn't the guy. I'm not going to let 6 games or 1 bad game make up my mind that he is. Especially seeing as he had a shortened pre-season and was out for a month during the regular season.

And yea, I'm pissed they lost. They looked like crap yesterday.

You only take a guy that you think is "can't miss" because you can't take another guy who you like his potential then sit him on the bench while Manuel gets seasoned (or sit Manuel on the bench while the other guy gets seasoned.) You really have to pull the trigger on a guy you like and go with him until you know one way or the other because otherwise you're just playing musical chairs and NOBODY is getting the reps they need to improve. So if there's a "can't miss" type guy, pick him up. Otherwise trust your scouting from last year and stick with Manuel until you know.

The bottom line is that just about everybody is over-reacting. It's one game. One game. If he had a spectacular game it'd still just be one game. Horrible games happen to everybody. What we need out of the QB position is consistent, good play and that only comes with reps. Despite everybody wanting know now, you just can't.

Manuel's game yesterday was the worst we've seen him look so I'll chalk it up to being rusty. He looked uncomfortable with the speed of the game and rushed everything. That sounds like a young guy who is rusty to me. If that type of play continues on a regular basis it might be time to move on but until then I'll cut him some slack.

Edited by MDH

Put me squarely on top of the EJ Manuel "bash" wagon. Sorry. This guy has to be able to hit receivers downfield to show me that he is a top flight QB. Through his first few starts he's played no better than an average backup QB. He's not raising the level of play of anyone around him. It's not an easy position obviously. Look at Green Bay without Rodgers...they are an average team now. The QB means everything.

Don't start telling me about the Carolina game. EJ threw and INT and had a strip fumble in the 4th Qtr in crunch time. Luckliy we got a PI penalty in that game late after dinking and dunking down the field.

I was a big Mike Glennon fan last fall and was pumping him up to be our QB pick. I felt like a fool that he went in the 3rd round and looked to be a project. Turns out he could be better than EJ a few games in to their careers. We'll see.

Not that I don't think EJ had a bad game but I found a couple things interesting:

• Before the game, Joe B commented on the wind effecting both QB's throws. During the game Big Ben also made a bunch of horrible throws, so much so, that Gannon made a comment about. Said his mechanics looked fine and he wondered if the wind was having an effect on his throws. This makes me wonder about some of EJ's throws and why he/they didn't take shots down the field. Big Ben was checking down most of the game as well. Also might explain some of the inaccuracy.
  • The run game. I was expecting a similar game plan to the one the Bills had against KC seeing as the defenses were very similar. KC isn't great at stopping the run but is a good pass defense, based on pressuring the QB. The OL didn't show up in terms of run blocking against Pittsburgh and both RB's looked horrible. The second the Bills didn't establish a running game, the game was over.

A rookie QB, coming off a month of not playing there was sure to be some rust. Plus, I think the game plan was absolutely terrible. I'm not ready to write him off yet. IMO, this season was always going to be a rebuilding one. Just look around the league, rookie QB's struggle. Even second year QB's struggle. If this is EJ at his worse, it is no where near as close or bad as Geno's worst. Just look at the Bengals game.

I told my wife during the pregame show (once I heard it was windy in Pittsburgh) that if EJ has a bad day throwing the football that the EJ lovers would be out there blaming the wind. Looks like that came true. Man that was an easy prediction. I bet half the people on this board made the same prediction.

As far as the running game goes, you are not going to have a consistently good running game week after week unless you have a deep threat in the passing game too. Without a deep threat (which EJ seems to lack) the defense will be able to stuff the run more times than not. Defenses simply do not respect EJ as a homerun passer. And they will continue to disrespect him until he consistently burns some teams for it back to back. And I don't see that happening,....probably ever...

I just want to point out to people that perhaps they should move back from the ledge about Manuel. Who knows how good/bad he ends up but QBs have bad games all the time.

Carolina put up 10 points and Newton wasn't good. 50% for 160 something yards. They won...thanks to the D.

The Niners put up 9 points and Kaepernick was brutal. 50% passing for less than 100 yards. He's looked bad plenty this season.

Luck, lots of passing yards but 3 INTs and his team put up 8 points (and this was at home.)

Imagine that, young QBs are inconsistent and sometimes have horrendous games. I'm not sold on Manuel but I'm willing to give the kid a chance.

I'm sorry to say it but next week is probably going to be another punch in the gut, not a "bounce back" - EJ is going to struggle again against an attacking 3-4/hybrid defense, and Geno is going to look much better (mainly because the Jets' pass protection is near tops in the league right now). It'll get worse before it gets better.

EJ had no preseason and just missed a month. He was already raw. This is going to take awhile, unfortunately.

I don't have any problem with this idea. You should always grab a guy you think will be a star. No question.

I think were I disagree with some is that I'm willing to let a player develop. Just because it's been a fad the past couple of years to start rookie QB's, doesn't mean in year 1 a team has to determine whether he'll be a legitimate player or not. Let's not forget, QB is still the toughest position to adjust to. I think some fans wear rose-colored glasses with there assessments of other rookie QB's. Russell Wilson looked pedestrian his first half the season last year and was close to being benched. Tannehill showed very, very little last season and continue's to show very little this season. RG3 although having a good season last year, is severely slumping this season. I'd say Luck is the only guy to truly establish himself and even he has off nights, like last night.

I want sustained success, not a rookie QB that looks great his rookie year and that's it. IDK, if Manuel is or isn't the guy. I'm not going to let 6 games or 1 bad game make up my mind that he is. Especially seeing as he had a shortened pre-season and was out for a month during the regular season.

And yea, I'm pissed they lost. They looked like crap yesterday.

I haven't made up my mind either. Your options are hope that he's the guy and wait or hope that he's the guy and act on grabbing someone you think may be as good or better. I'm strongly in the act camp.

You only take a guy that you think is "can't miss" because you can't take another guy who you like his potential then sit him on the bench while Manuel gets seasoned (or sit Manuel on the bench while the other guy gets seasoned.) You really have to pull the trigger on a guy you like and go with him until you know one way or the other because otherwise you're just playing musical chairs and NOBODY is getting the reps they need to improve. So if there's a "can't miss" type guy, pick him up. Otherwise trust your scouting from last year and stick with Manuel until you know.

The bottom line is that just about everybody is over-reacting. It's one game. One game. If he had a spectacular game it'd still just be one game. Horrible games happen to everybody. What we need out of the QB position is consistent, good play and that only comes with reps. Despite everybody wanting know now, you just can't.

Manuel's game yesterday was the worst we've seen him look so I'll chalk it up to being rusty. He looked uncomfortable with the speed of the game and rushed everything. That sounds like a young guy who is rusty to me. If that type of play continues on a regular basis it might be time to move on but until then I'll cut him some slack.

I don't think I'm overreacting, especially because I've been saying this prior to yesterday's game. Teams don't worry about having 2 young stud WR's. They don't worry about having 2 young stud DT's, but god forbid you have 2 young stud QB. You'll stunt the development of one or both...I say BS. Competition is good everywhere.